S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

I saw the new Mercedes AMG S53 today....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
I saw the new Mercedes AMG S53 today....

I saw the new Mercedes AMG S53....in my dreams, after reading about the rebranding of the C450 "AMG Sport" to AMG C43. According to various press releases from Mercedes and enthusiast publications, this is only the beginning as entry level AMG products.

From Car and Driver:

"A few weeks ago, we were a bit surprised to learn that the AMG version of Mercedes’ new SLC-class roadster—it replaces the SLK-class—would be powered by the engine found in the AMG Sport models of the C- and GLE-classes, the C450 AMG and GLE450 AMG. (AMG Sport was launched to neatly split the difference between regular Mercedes vehicles and full-bore AMGs.) AMG hadn’t offered a six-banger in many years, and the twin-turbocharged V-6, while an impressive powerplant, doesn’t adhere to Affalterbach’s “One Man, One Engine” gospel, whereby one technician assembles a complete engine from start to finish.

But the Mercedes-AMG SLC43 won’t be an exception—it actually sets a precedent, as the AMG Sport models will be rechristened and moved into the AMG lineup proper. The Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG will become the Mercedes-AMG C43, and a Mercedes-AMG E43 will launch later this year. Further models will follow.

We think the move is legit. The current AMG Sports already feature a lot of AMG-developed technology, and we’re not just talking about badges, red stitching, and carbon-fiber décor; they also get actual chassis upgrades. And if you’ve ever heard an AMG Sport model performing a full-throttle redline shift and the accompanying exhaust crackle, it’s clear that these machines mean serious business.

About the “43” moniker for the 3.0-liter V-6: While it would be nice if it had any relationship whatsoever to engine displacement, Benz believes it aligns nicely with the 63 badging used for the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8 models. Plus, there was a C43 in AMG’s history. So if you aspire to own an AMG, you will have a lot more choices soon."

I start this thread here in the S550 forum rather than the S63 forum for obvious reasons. I am a prior AMG owner and am well aware of concern about potential brand degradation. Nonetheless, does this new AMG category make sense for many S-Class buyers? Is this a way for Lovin' to get an AMG steering wheel in an S550 without having to stop the Mercedes assembly line? Many of us pay $5900 for the current sport package and AMG wheels. Would we pay more for an enhanced sport package with an additional "Sport Plus" setting?

Would we buy an S53 AMG?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:25 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Valid criticisms

But engineering/safety ineptitude started many yrs ago w/MCT (&DCT) on 63s, etc...crap/unsafe gearboxes not solved despite ~8yrs of trying: says much abt (in)competence of AMG engineers and (lack of) tail risk understanding of many buyers/drivers: gearboxes (or engines) failing at speed/in traffic are fairly dangerous, no matter airbags, etc

Porsche has same (prob greater) issues w/crap cars like 991TTS, etc, so suspect MB enjoys vast engineering superiority of S65s (and thus repeat 65 buyer base) vs any other cars on planet today at any price

If S65s didn't exist, would just spec a 550 w/MBC w/perf tires (if 550 has reliable std autobox w/o dangerous, fail-prone Stop-Start crap)