S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Totally Depressed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
we don't have any details regarding his insurance coverage or the value of his car. It possible he may have a replacement cost clause in his policy, which means his insurance company has to pay whatever it would cost him to buy the same car, new. That would make their payout $100k+. Also, his car may have a higher ACV than yours did. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get to the bottom line, but in the end I'm sure the car will be totaled and the OP will be shopping for a new S550 (or maybe a Tesla since the Model S is taking away the S class market share ).
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
we don't have any details regarding his insurance coverage or the value of his car. It possible he may have a replacement cost clause in his policy, which means his insurance company has to pay whatever it would cost him to buy the same car, new. That would make their payout $100k+. Also, his car may have a higher ACV than yours did. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get to the bottom line, but in the end I'm sure the car will be totaled and the OP will be shopping for a new S550 (or maybe a Tesla since the Model S is taking away the S class market share ).

Agreed! I believe OP said his insurance company is Geico.

I am chuckling on the Tesla front--are you sure you are not WEBSRFR?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by MTrauman
I agree but it is taking them much longer to decide than my insurance company. My '14 S550 was in an accident on a Wednesday, adjuster look at the car on Thursday and they paid me $93k on Friday with an estimated repair cost of $50k.
The delay was at the body shop. They didn't start tearing the car apart till last Friday. Once they started that they realized there was a ton more damage which has them reassessing the claim
Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Agreed! I believe OP said his insurance company is Geico.

I am chuckling on the Tesla front--are you sure you are not WEBSRFR?
Certainly not. I try to keep my Tesla posts on the appropriate thread created for that purpose

My only interest here is in making sure the OP is made whole. His insurance company fixing up a car with that much damage certainly should not be accepted as then the OP will have to absorb massive Diminished Value while waiting around weeks for the car to get fixed up.

From what I gather another party caused this accident and the OP has witnesses. I would have made a reasonable offer to the at fault party's insurance company for replacement of the car and if they fail to step up, lawyer up and go after not just a replacement car but pain and suffering as well.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM

S550
I would have made a reasonable offer to the at fault party's insurance company for replacement of the car and if they fail to step up, lawyer up and go after not just a replacement car but pain and suffering as well.[/QUOTE]

That's my plan!! Thanks for all the help and support. I will keep you posted on my progress
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any update?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:51 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Corey140
Any update?
Sorry I have been traveling this week. The insurance company gave me the final word this week, almost a month after the accident, that the car will be totaled. I guess I was borderline on wether or not it should be totaled based on their valuations. So that's the good news. The bad news is I want a car configured exactly the way my car was but it doesn't exist in the US and would have to be ordered. Earliest I could get the car would be late August and I can't wait that long so I went and test drove the new 7 series and I think I am going to go that route. I have had several 7's in the past and while they do not compare to the S550 this latest edition is pretty close and the fun factor to drive is off the charts.
I was able to find a few cars in the US configured the way I want so there is no wait which is big considering a lot of my travel is driving.

Hate to leave the MB family though. Hopefully I won't regret the decision.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
aww that sux!!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by cheatham25
Sorry I have been traveling this week. The insurance company gave me the final word this week, almost a month after the accident, that the car will be totaled. I guess I was borderline on wether or not it should be totaled based on their valuations. So that's the good news. The bad news is I want a car configured exactly the way my car was but it doesn't exist in the US and would have to be ordered. Earliest I could get the car would be late August and I can't wait that long so I went and test drove the new 7 series and I think I am going to go that route. I have had several 7's in the past and while they do not compare to the S550 this latest edition is pretty close and the fun factor to drive is off the charts.
I was able to find a few cars in the US configured the way I want so there is no wait which is big considering a lot of my travel is driving.

That is good news they will total the car as you would not want the car back after the accident.

I understand your decision you have to make regarding replacing your car quickly. When my '14 S Class was totaled, I quickly thought of other brands since I too could not find a replacement in the entire US (however I am a long standing S Class owner with over 20 years of ownership of an S Class in the household). I did order my replacement '16 S550 4matic the way I wanted with every option except the 3D sound system and the refrigerator. Thankfully I had another car to drive while waiting the 2.5 months for my car to arrive from the order date to delivery date. In my case since the insurance company was quick (accident on a Wednesday, totaled on Thursday and a check on Friday) I had my new car about 2.5 months after the accident date.

If you do buy the 7 Series I would encourage you to start a new thread on this site comparing the 7 Series to the S Class since you would have owned both. I would be interested to hear your perspective on the differences in the two coming from someone who has owned both cars.

By the way, what are they going to give you for the car? When my '14 S with 16000 miles was totaled at the end of June 2015, they gave me about $88K for the car and about $5k for sales tax for a total of about $93k.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If you do buy the 7 Series I would encourage you to start a new thread on this site comparing the 7 Series to the S Class since you would have owned both. I would be interested to hear your perspective on the differences in the two coming from someone who has owned both cars.
Great idea! Many of us would just love a back to back review!

On the other hand, if it were me, I'd try to make a deal with the dealer to pick up a CPO S550, drive it until your new car arrives and then trade the CPO back to them. I believe MB would do just about anything to retain you as an S Class customer. Maybe they could do an ultra short term lease on a CPO. It's worth a try, as they must come upon circumstances such as yours from time to time. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I personally still can't get excited over the 7 series exterior. They do have pretty good discounts on the car so you should get a great deal.

That said, be sure to check out the bimmer forums on issues that these cars have. It's the first year of production and i remember seeing a fair amount of items listed...
Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I personally still can't get excited over the 7 series exterior. They do have pretty good discounts on the car so you should get a great deal.

That said, be sure to check out the bimmer forums on issues that these cars have. It's the first year of production and i remember seeing a fair amount of items listed...
Since I have owned a few 7s in the past I have been a long time member of bimmerfest. Feedback has actually been pretty good with the exception of some software update issues. The discounts are pretty strong so in comparison for a fully loaded 7 vs fully loaded S550 the savings are significant.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM

S550
That is good news they will total the car as you would not want the car back after the accident.

By the way, what are they going to give you for the car? When my '14 S with 16000 miles was totaled at the end of June 2015, they gave me about $88K for the car and about $5k for sales tax for a total of about $93k.
They gave me 89k plus tax. The dealer I bought the car from said that was a fair offer. Mine was a '15 and fairly loaded but I was over 20k miles
Old 05-21-2016, 12:57 PM

S550

I will definitely do that. If I pull the trigger it will take a week to get it in. I will write a review after I have had a little time in the car.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Don't accept that car back. If it has $40K in damages, it will also have about $15-20K in diminished value where your car's value will be reduced by about that much by anyone looking to buy the car from you.

Your damaged car should be the problem of the insurance company. Tell them to keep the car and make you whole with a replacement car. Tell them due to severe Diminished Value you will not be whole simply by fixing up your car, which will never be the same as when it left the factory.

Given the severity of the injury if I were you I'd have an attorney go after the person who hit you for a replacement car plus attorney expenses. If you've been injured or has medical issues that will be extra.
But if he get it repaired, and sells it later, no one is going to know the extent of the damages. They will just see what the carfax shows, an accident. No one is going to know how bad it was and saying he's going to lookse 10-15k isn't a fact. People buy cars all the time and not everyone is going to care, because they could think it was minor accident.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
They gave me 89k plus tax. The dealer I bought the car from said that was a fair offer. Mine was a '15 and fairly loaded but I was over 20k miles
as long as you're happy I'm happy brother

looking forward to reading your impressions of a BMW......what color?!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 PM

S550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
as long as you're happy I'm happy brother

looking forward to reading your impressions of a BMW......what color?!
Thanks Hyperion. Looking at Magellan Grey with Ivory interior. That will probably be the choice. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Jason B
But if he get it repaired, and sells it later, no one is going to know the extent of the damages. They will just see what the carfax shows, an accident. No one is going to know how bad it was and saying he's going to lookse 10-15k isn't a fact. People buy cars all the time and not everyone is going to care, because they could think it was minor accident.
Only problem with that is that the Carfax will show "Airbag Deployed." That is a major hit.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Jason B stated "no one is going to know how bad it was" when referring to the type of accident/damage. I disagree.

I copy and pasted the language from my Carfax from my accident that totaled my '14 S550 4matic.

Would you buy the car with the following Carfax Info?:

06/24/2015 Pennsylvania

Damage Report

Accident reported

Vehicle involved in a sideswipe collision

Involving left front impact

It hit a tree / shrubbery

with another motor vehicle

Moderate damage reported

Vehicle towed

Airbag deployed

CARFAX Airbag Tips
Old 05-24-2016, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
The above doesn't look and sound that bad, considering we know it was totalled. BUt I see what you mean.

My other question is, doesn't it take months for an accident to show up on a carfax after it's fixed?
Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
The above doesn't look and sound that bad, considering we know it was totalled. BUt I see what you mean.

My other question is, doesn't it take months for an accident to show up on a carfax after it's fixed?
It may not sound bad to you. That is why I would not buy a car that has an accident reported on a Carfax since you cannot tell how bad the damage to the car actually was. And in my case the car hit a tree at 60 mph. I would not want to buy a car that hit a tree at 60 mph.

In PA, atleast from the PA State Police in my accident, this information showed up within a couple of weeks of the accident directly from the accident report completed by the state police. I was tracking this information from Carfax since I was very curious.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Sorry to hear about the accident glad you're safe! You can always get another car