CPO 2014 S550 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250
CPO 2014 S550 Questions

Good morning,

I am looking to purchase a CPO 2014 S550. The vehicle has the following packages:

Rear Seat
Air Balance
Driver Assist
Surround View

The vehicle also has 50K miles on it. Is there anything I should be concerned with from a warranty coverage standpoint as the new vehicle warranty is no longer in effect.

I have had a few Mercedes in the past (CLK, E and ML), but they where purchased new and I didn't keep them past the 4 year/50K limit.

Thanks for any information.

mvem23
Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
The CPO should have a 1 year/unlimited mile warranty even if the new car warranty is done plus I think you're able to add an additional 1-2 years
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by mvem23
Good morning,

I am looking to purchase a CPO 2014 S550. The vehicle has the following packages:

Rear Seat
Air Balance
Driver Assist
Surround View

The vehicle also has 50K miles on it. Is there anything I should be concerned with from a warranty coverage standpoint as the new vehicle warranty is no longer in effect.

I have had a few Mercedes in the past (CLK, E and ML), but they where purchased new and I didn't keep them past the 4 year/50K limit.

Thanks for any information.

mvem23
The CPO warranty covers pretty much most of your car but squeaks, rattles, and minor fit and finish items are excluded with the CPO warranty. My recommendation is to buy the car and extended the CPO warranty to the full 3 years possible as you are unlikely going to be pleased with any repair cost should something go wrong.

Also I hope you are getting a crazy great deal on that car with that many miles.

My biggest recommendation for purchasing a CPO Mercedes is to expand your search radius to hundreds of miles from where you are so you have access to a better inventory, and possibly better pricing as well.

Make sure the car has no accident damage, request a full service history/VMI, along with a list of what was done to certify the car.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 AM

E250
Thanks, this is good to know. I was concerned certain components (suspension, turbos as an example) wouldn't be covered under the CPO warranty.

This car is ~300 miles away from me. I'll be driving a deal that's for sure Extending the warranty to the max is something that will be done for sure also.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
The CPO warranty covers pretty much most of your car but squeaks, rattles, and minor fit and finish items are excluded with the CPO warranty. My recommendation is to buy the car and extended the CPO warranty to the full 3 years possible as you are unlikely going to be pleased with any repair cost should something go wrong.

Also I hope you are getting a crazy great deal on that car with that many miles.

My biggest recommendation for purchasing a CPO Mercedes is to expand your search radius to hundreds of miles from where you are so you have access to a better inventory, and possibly better pricing as well.

Make sure the car has no accident damage, request a full service history/VMI, along with a list of what was done to certify the car.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
Thanks, this is good to know. I was concerned certain components (suspension, turbos as an example) wouldn't be covered under the CPO warranty.

This car is ~300 miles away from me. I'll be driving a deal that's for sure Extending the warranty to the max is something that will be done for sure also.

Thanks again!
I bought a similar car a year ago. Find out the in service date as that is the trigger date for warranty. I shopped and got a good deal from a dealer (not the one I bought the car from) on the extended warranty. My car had a late in service date and 47000 miles in 10 months, all highway miles in Texas by the president of an oil company. With the extended cpo warranty with unlimited miles, I am covered until.May 2021. Check for brake replacement, and hopefully new, non run flat tires. Good luck you will love the car.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
[QUOTE=pvrick;6785062]I bought a similar car a year ago. Find out the in service date as that is the trigger date for warranty. I shopped and got a good deal from a dealer (not the one I bought the car from) on the extended warranty. My car had a late in service date and 47000 miles in 10 months, all highway miles in Texas by the president of an oil company. With the extended cpo warranty with unlimited miles, I am covered until.May 2021. Check for brake replacement, and hopefully new, non run flat tires. Good luck you will love the car.[/QUOTE

Why is the new warranty in effect 4 years 50 k miles.Cpo is unlimited miles.]
Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 W222 S550 / 2008 E90 328i
OP my parents purchased a CPO '14 S550 two months ago and although they love it, the only problem is the squeaky brakes! Seems like this is an issue with mostly the '14 W222. However, the car still has the factory warranty till 2018 and they also purchased the extended warranty till 2020. At the end of the day, it's a great luxury car but as mentioned above, make sure to have the dealer replace the brakes, pads, or both before purchasing.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 PM

E250
Just curious; does anybody know what a CPO vehicle should have addressed prior to purchase as far as braking components go? I ask this question as an S class I test drove had immediate shake/vibration in the steering wheel only when the brakes where applied. Based on past purchase experience with other S class, this seems like a likely rotor/brake pad issue.

The dealer just refused to fix the problem stating it meets MB CPO requirements. Pretty ming boggling to me that the CPO requirements allow for steering wheel shake on a 100K car.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Just curious; does anybody know what a CPO vehicle should have addressed prior to purchase as far as braking components go? I ask this question as an S class I test drove had immediate shake/vibration in the steering wheel only when the brakes where applied. Based on past purchase experience with other S class, this seems like a likely rotor/brake pad issue.

The dealer just refused to fix the problem stating it meets MB CPO requirements. Pretty ming boggling to me that the CPO requirements allow for steering wheel shake on a 100K car.
Seriously! It's ridiculous how all of these MB dealers don't even consider these squeaky brakes as an issue. IMO the CPO requirements that they come up with lacks a lot of things and this is one of them!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Iridium222
CPO requirements that they come up with lacks a lot of things and this is one of them!
CPO 17 point undercarriage & drivetrain inspection – brake rotors & pads + 14 point road test inspection – braking system performance http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!l...s&state=opened

LI42.10-P-058354 https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post5969236

Service Campaign 2014090003 https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post6220041
Old 05-03-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
CPO 17 point undercarriage & drivetrain inspection – brake rotors & pads + 14 point road test inspection – braking system performance http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!l...s&state=opened

LI42.10-P-058354 https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post5969236

Service Campaign 2014090003 https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post6220041
The link that you've posed is true. However, I don't really understand why the dealers think that since the cars pass as CPO vehicles..anything that happens even a day after, they're not responsible?! My parents W222 S550 had brake issues exactly one day after the purchase. How does that pass as being 100% CPO lol?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

The link that you've posed is true. However, I don't really understand why the dealers think that since the cars pass as CPO vehicles..anything that happens even a day after, they're not responsible?! My parents W222 S550 had brake issues exactly one day after the purchase. How does that pass as being 100% CPO lol?
The CPO process is only as good as the person doing the inspection. This is why you should always ask for a report detailing exactly what was done to CPO the car along with any services performed. You should also request the car VMI so you have a complete service history of the car. And don't let the dealer BS you by trying to tell you they are not allowed to provide VMI reports.

Apart from that even if you do buy a CPO car and they failed to check the braking system and you have an issue the day after they buy the car they will fix it as that's the whole point of buying a CPO car.

For added peace of mind you can always pay for a pre purchase inspection at another dealer or reputable mechanic and personally I would also do a separate pre purchase inspection at a body shop as well.

When we once bought a CPO car, it was so late by the time we were given the keys I did not even test drive it and just drove the car back home as we had a 450 mile drive back. We did find some issues once we brought the car home but they were all fixed by our local Mercedes dealer. From what I can tell Mercedes really does have a decent CPO program but do your due diligence like when you buy any other used car.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 PM

The CPO process is only as good as the person doing the inspection. This is why you should always ask for a report detailing exactly what was done to CPO the car along with any services performed. You should also request the car VMI so you have a complete service history of the car. And don't let the dealer BS you by trying to tell you they are not allowed to provide VMI reports.

Apart from that even if you do buy a CPO car and they failed to check the braking system and you have an issue the day after they buy the car they will fix it as that's the whole point of buying a CPO car.

For added peace of mind you can always pay for a pre purchase inspection at another dealer or reputable mechanic and personally I would also do a separate pre purchase inspection at a body shop as well.

When we once bought a CPO car, it was so late by the time we were given the keys I did not even test drive it and just drove the car back home as we had a 450 mile drive back. We did find some issues once we brought the car home but they were all fixed by our local Mercedes dealer. From what I can tell Mercedes really does have a decent CPO program but do your due diligence like when you buy any other used car.
I actually checked the carfax when we purchased the car and the history showed that the previous owner always took really good care of the car and each time it was at the dealer..they checked the braking system to make sure everything is alright. However, I don't understand why the dealer is now refusing to fix the issue?! You are completely correct when you say that the dealer will fix the issue since the car was purchased as a CPO vehicle, but unfortunately they keep telling me that since brakes aren't considered as wear and tear..the CPO warranty does not cover it!

Nevertheless, thanks for your help and info.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I actually checked the carfax when we purchased the car and the history showed that the previous owner always took really good care of the car and each time it was at the dealer..they checked the braking system to make sure everything is alright. However, I don't understand why the dealer is now refusing to fix the issue?! You are completely correct when you say that the dealer will fix the issue since the car was purchased as a CPO vehicle, but unfortunately they keep telling me that since brakes aren't considered as wear and tear..the CPO warranty does not cover it!

Nevertheless, thanks for your help and info.
CPO specs have standards for the brakes. The only wear and tear part of the braking system are the brake pads and rotors. By CPO spec they need to have a certain amount of life left before they sell the car so you should be covered.

If they refuse to fix the issue with your brakes escalate it with MBUSA Corporate. If all else fails, invoke the Vehicle Exchange Privilege.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!...t=cpo-benefits

The following users liked this post:
Iridium222 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 PM

CPO specs have standards for the brakes. The only wear and tear part of the braking system are the brake pads and rotors. By CPO spec they need to have a certain amount of life left before they sell the car so you should be covered.

If they refuse to fix the issue with your brakes escalate it with MBUSA Corporate. If all else fails, invoke the Vehicle Exchange Privilege.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!...t=cpo-benefits

I honestly wish I would've known about the VEP when they bought the car lol. However, I'd like to first contact the GM of the dealer that we purchaed the car from and fully explain the issue with him or her. If they don't end up honoring my request, then I will contact MBUSA and discuss the matter with them. I just hope all goes well lol.
Thank you again for your help and useful info.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I honestly wish I would've known about the VEP when they bought the car lol. However, I'd like to first contact the GM of the dealer that we purchaed the car from and fully explain the issue with him or her. If they don't end up honoring my request, then I will contact MBUSA and discuss the matter with them. I just hope all goes well lol.
Thank you again for your help and useful info.
I'm sure they'll do the right thing. From what I can tell Mercedes really does have a pretty decent CPO program.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM

I'm sure they'll do the right thing. From what I can tell Mercedes really does have a pretty decent CPO program.
I hope so lol. Wish me luck!