W222 Multimedia systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 350 L
W222 Multimedia systems

Hi guys,
I'm Carlo and I'm writing from Italy. I own a MY2015 MB S350L W222 equipped with split view, rear entertainment system but no TV tuner.
So I have Hard disk, usb (front and rear), RCA jacks and DVD Player.

I was looking for a way to watch media contents in my car:

- First of all I bought a 1TB SSD HD which could be stored in the armrest (a lot of money here!), but the command doesn't recognize it (maybe is too big, because my 32gb usb drive is perfectly recognized).

- Then I was thinking to burn BluRay discs, but I don't know if the front or rear dvd player would read them.

- Then I bought a sort of AirPlay adapter, but it was HDMI, and so I had to buy a HDMI to AV converter. The converter is powered by USB, but the Airplay adapter needs 12v, and in the rear armrest I only have USB ports which are 5v, and so I should have a cable from the armrest to the 12v port under the dvd player (and it wouldn't be really aesthetically nice) or I should disassemble the whole back of the car in order to hide the cable (no way!).
Same problem for an Apple TV, I found on the internet a way to convert it from 220v to 12v but the problem is reaching the 12v socket.

So, do you know first of all if there is a way to convert the RCA in the armrest to an HDMI? (Why put an RCA connection in a $100.000 car in 2016 )
Then, have you found any other way to watch your movies and stuff, or should I only use DVD and low capacitance USB drives?

Thank you

Carlo
Old 09-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
I just signed up here today, but I see a lot of posts but not a lot of replies. Is there a more technical Mercedes Benz site to use?

Anyway, I think the reason it wasn't detected is because of a power issue.

So far I have used up to a 256GB usb thumb but would like to know if a 512GB and 1TB usb thumb works. I also have tried up to a 128GB SD card and wondering if a 512GB will work. I don't think any 1TB are available yet in SD.

I agree with you in the RCA jacks, but i think they did it because i think some HDMI has copyright or something having to do with a digital vs analog signal....

There are convertors I found a few on amazon and fairly inexpensive. I will eventually try one out when I get around to needing it.