S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SilverP85plus
Nah, you've been there, trust me. Waaay before that post!
So I've gone on a Tesla board and tried to argue that in every respect the Mercedes S Class is a superior car to the Tesla S??
Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S60D
NHSTA 2015 ratings:

Tesla Model S - All around 5 star (all time best score from NHSTA)
Mercedes - E Class & C Class = 4 star / The ML Class got a 5 star overall but 4 stars in rollover

So tell me again "Why one should not buy a Tesla Model S"? Because your perceived "fit and finish" is better? C'mon guys, you all can do better than that can't you?
The following 2 users liked this post by ckcland2:
ER1 (01-07-2017), SilverP85plus (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Fully disagree.

The Model S is both elegant and sexy. When people see my car on the road, they are in awe and many, not to be confused with a few take pictures of my car on highways and stop lights. I attended the Syracuse Nationals with my car and the crowds were incredible as I was explaining the vehicles to folks. Even the vintage automobile owners were flocking around it.

The MB looks dated to me. the S class looks like a box with smooth lines, there is 0 thought in design.

photos of show. when X showed up crowd moved towards X

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AihnWpuO55swhuBl7fQ7mwaUmdscZw
No doubt the latest toy on the block will draw more attention than purposefully understated elegance.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Two similar but very different cars. Why even try guys?

Either car is in the upper echelon of class and engineering so you can't go wrong with either of them. Just drive and buy the one you like the most. **** anyone else that tells you otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
SilverP85plus (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
So I've gone on a Tesla board and tried to argue that in every respect the Mercedes S Class is a superior car to the Tesla S??

that would be impossible and it would be impossible to say the Model S is a superior car in every respect to the S class.

I know I haven't tried to say that.

The S class has 5 things on the Model S

1. Interior luxury that more buyers don't care about than do
2. Endurance around the track because of the limitation of an electric DU that I'm sure Tesla is working on at this time.
3. Fit and Finish (being worked on and has not effected value)
4. Requires more maintenance
5. Cost more to maintain.

the last 2 are bad in case you didn't know.

The Model S is better in everything else. The good news is, the Germans are working on competing. If the Model S and X were crap, the Germans wouldn't be so concerned.

Even with fit and finish issues, they have 400,000 pre-orders on the model 3.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by ckcland2
NHSTA 2015 ratings:

Tesla Model S - All around 5 star (all time best score from NHSTA)
Mercedes - E Class & C Class = 4 star / The ML Class got a 5 star overall but 4 stars in rollover

So tell me again "Why one should not buy a Tesla Model S"? Because your perceived "fit and finish" is better? C'mon guys, you all can do better than that can't you?

I guess when the Model 3s are sold it will take three years to get a service appointment! Oh my mistake it takes that long to get a Model S serviced now See link below.

Ok I am exaggerating a bit. I can go to my MB dealer and get service as a walk in. That's because the current W222 only needs an oil change every 10000 miles and the MB techs don't have anything to do since the S Class never breaks down

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-cars-are-sold
Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 PM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MTrauman
I guess when the Model 3s are sold it will take three years to get a service appointment! Oh my mistake it takes that long to get a Model S serviced now See link below.

Ok I am exaggerating a bit. I can go to my MB dealer and get service as a walk in. That's because the current W222 only needs an oil change every 10000 miles and the MB techs don't have anything to do since the S Class never breaks down

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-cars-are-sold
Yeah, you're right, they don't break down... http://www.truedelta.com/Mercedes-Be...s/problems-193

That's cute that you're picking on a small company that just started building cars in 2012. The breakdowns are not an issue with Tesla, it's people bringing the car in for routine maintenance, which is not even necessary. They also don't void the warrantee if they don't bring it in. Try that with your S class.

It is embarrassing when a micro company embarrasses a company that's been around for 100 years isn't it?

At least Tesla has the ***** to be innovative and try something new. Their breakdowns are based on those innovative implementations and they are all being ironed out.

meanwhile you drive the rinse and repeat model. no wait, they made the edges smoother and changed the lights for you.. niiiiiiice

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-31-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
That's cute that you're picking on a small company that just started building cars in 2012. The breakdowns are not an issue with Tesla, it's people bringing the car in for routine maintenance, which is not even necessary. They also don't void the warrantee if they don't bring it in. Try that with your S class

It is embarrassing when a micro company embarrasses a company that's been around for 100 years isn't it?

At least Tesla has the ***** to be innovative and try something new. Their breakdowns are based on those innovative moves and they are all being ironed out.

meanwhile you drive the rinse and repeat model. no wait, they made the edges smoother and changed the lights for you.. niiiiiiice

We will see when this all shakes out! Tesla has not made money per vehicle. The last number I heard is they lose $19,000 per vehicle.

When MB buys Tesla, MB will have the last laugh. Capital buys innovation. One must give credit where credit is due. Tesla is making inroads to bring electric cars to the fore front. Kudos But they will run out of money. They are innovative just not trustworthy in my opinion. And the Tesla cheerleaders only make skeptical guys like me more skeptical--I just don't believe the company will survive the cash burn.

Remember Studebaker from 1963 or the many other car companies. Atleast MB will be around in the future.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
that would be impossible and it would be impossible to say the Model S is a superior car in every respect to the S class.

I know I haven't tried to say that.

The S class has 5 things on the Model S

1. Interior luxury that more buyers don't care about than do
2. Endurance around the track because of the limitation of an electric DU that I'm sure Tesla is working on at this time.
3. Fit and Finish (being worked on and has not effected value)
4. Requires more maintenance
5. Cost more to maintain.

the last 2 are bad in case you didn't know.

The Model S is better in everything else. The good news is, the Germans are working on competing. If the Model S and X were crap, the Germans wouldn't be so concerned.

Even with fit and finish issues, they have 400,000 pre-orders on the model 3.
You left off ride comfort and quietness. A big discriminator in the luxury class.

This isn't about number of buyers. If it was Camry's would handily beat both of them. Not too many folks are buying Bentleys but that doesn't mean that a Tesla is in the same league as one.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 AM

Model S P85+
No doubt the latest toy on the block will draw more attention than purposefully understated elegance.
"purposefully understated elegance" uh huh...
Old 12-31-2016, 12:36 AM

Model S P85+
You left off ride comfort and quietness. A big discriminator in the luxury class.

This isn't about number of buyers. If it was Camry's would handily beat both of them. Not too many folks are buying Bentleys but that doesn't mean that a Tesla is in the same league as one.
So you're thinking the Model S at any level makes more sound than the S class?

And you're also thinking the ride comfort level on a Model S is not at a superior level with the air suspension option?

I'm really trying to understand the idiocy level here when I ask:

Why do you think people buy a Model S over it's competition at the same price level when in fact the competition is so much better (in your opinion, but the world thinks otherwise)?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 AM

Model S P85+
We will see when this all shakes out! Tesla has not made money per vehicle. The last number I heard is they lose $19,000 per vehicle.

When MB buys Tesla, MB will have the last laugh. Capital buys innovation. One must give credit where credit is due. Tesla is making inroads to bring electric cars to the fore front. Kudos But they will run out of money. They are innovative just not trustworthy in my opinion. And the Tesla cheerleaders only make skeptical guys like me more skeptical--I just don't believe the company will survive the cash burn.

Remember Studebaker from 1963 or the many other car companies. Atleast MB will be around in the future.
I hate to burst your bubble, but tesla has been re-investing their profits on infrastructure. Their profit margin on a vehicle is 25% and they will not run out of money.

So you're not a MB cheerleader by posting on a MB enthusiast site? You are one strange individual...
Old 12-31-2016, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
I hate to burst your bubble, but tesla has been re-investing their profits on infrastructure. Their profit margin on a vehicle is 25% and they will not run out of money.

So you're not a MB cheerleader by posting on a MB enthusiast site? You are one strange individual...

Guess you don't know how to read financial statements.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTrauman:
C280 Sport (01-02-2017), llcd (03-12-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Ok they won't run out of money

Behind The Glittering Façade, Tesla Is Bleeding – Badly

Speaking of Valeant, Tesla has concocted a scheme that puts Valeant’s worst abuses to shame. Naturally the financial press and Wall Street are cheering on Tesla in this masterful example of a Ponzi scheme and a better example of why financial journalism and analysis deserves the moniker “dumb and dumber.”
In the company’s recent earnings release, it announced that it collected $1,000 refundable deposits from 373,000 customers for its new Model 3 that won’t launch until late 2017 (assuming it launches at all). It noted, “We have obtained this level of reservations…with only a few social media posts” as though it didn’t have half the financial media broadcasting what it was doing. But even that omission doesn’t properly capture the sheer idiocy of the company’s comment. Elon Musk likes to drop tweets about the company like giant turds out of the sky promising new product launches and all kinds of surprises that investors slop up like fools, but behind the PT Barnum act the company is bleeding while making promises that it is not going to be able to keep.
Alarmingly (at least to anyone who actually thinks about things these days), Tesla didn’t stick this money in an escrow account; instead, these funds are sitting in its general account and will be rapidly consumed in operations. Does the SEC even read the papers anymore? And CNBC and the rest of the media sycophants cheered on the company’s reckless financial practices. Welcome to finance in the Age of Obama.
Leave aside for the moment the fact that Tesla produces very expensive cars for very wealthy people. Or that these wealthy people who buy is cars are subsidized to the tune of $7500 per vehicle by the U.S. government (the $7500 federal tax credit begins phasing out after the company sells 200,000 vehicles, a number the company isn’t close to reaching). A deeper look at Tesla’s financial statements – an exercise in which Wall Street analysts no longer engage (how do we know that? – look at what happened at Valeant Pharmaceuticals) – reveals a company running on fumes.
Tesla is a study in the use of non-GAAP earnings adjustments to create a false picture of financial health. Tesla uses a variety of non-GAAP adjustments from the common to the ridiculous. The common include phony stock option accounting adjustments that understate executive compensation expenses, something widely used by corporations and especially tech companies. But then there are more arcane adjustments. For example, Tesla pumps up its earnings for early extinguishment of loans it receives from the U.S. government – remember, Tesla’s business is heavily subsidized by the government due to its production of electric cars. The company has earned a lot of money from government subsidies in its early year of existence.
And then there is an adjustment that is little more than fiction – Tesla pumps up its earnings by an entry called “Model S gross profit deferred due to lease accounting” – and if that sounds confusing it is. First, while the company uses the term “lease accounting,” this line item relates to cars that the company sells, not to cars it leases. Tesla guarantees to buy back all Model S vehicles it sells after between 36 and 39 months old for 50 percent of their value. It expects to make money by reselling these cars and reports that expected profit (whether realized or not) as gross profit that it uses to adjust upward its earnings – hence the line item “Model gross profit deferred due to lease accounting.” But this is just a management estimate and not an actual number. Tesla defers the residual value it is obligated to pay to repurchase these vehicles until the 36-39 month period expires and carries that value on its balance sheet as an asset where it is depreciated. As of March 31, 2016, the company had $2.24 billion of “Operating lease vehicles” on its balance sheet, up from $1.8 billion three months earlier at December 31, 2015. As of March 31, 2016, it had $192.4 million of guarantees that were exercisable by customers over the next 12 months, up from $136.8 million three months earlier at December 31, 2015. This is a huge and growing cash liability for a company that already has massive capital expenditure needs to meet in order to increase its ambitious – and likely unachievable – production schedule.

Above written by:

Here’s Why Tesla Is A Giant Ponzi Scheme

Michael Lewitt Email Michael
June 3, 2016 62

Last edited by MTrauman; 12-31-2016 at 01:27 AM.
llcd (03-12-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 07:58 AM

Model S P85+
Guess you don't know how to read financial statements.
https://supercharge.info/ (re-investing)
http://learnbonds.com/132703/tesla-m...ory-expansion/ (re-investing)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...tory/87590138/ (re-investing)
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...y-already.aspx (25% profit margin)
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/0...la-motors.aspx (credits?)
http://www.mbscottsdale.com/clp-2017...-tesla-model-s (We don't compare, Mercedes does against the 70d, not the 90d+)

good luck with your hate and your box with rounded edges.

PS: if I were you as an MB stock holder, I would worry like the stockholders at that big meeting they had last year
http://gas2.org/2016/04/07/daimler-s...-model-3-news/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/te...quotes-report/

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-31-2016 at 09:27 AM.
ER1 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Two similar but very different cars. Why even try guys?

Either car is in the upper echelon of class and engineering so you can't go wrong with either of them. Just drive and buy the one you like the most. **** anyone else that tells you otherwise.
Agreed two different cars. One gives a good drive with low emissions, the other the ultimate expression of automotive refinement.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Talking

God save us!
We've got another idiot troll on the board again.
I truly suspect Tesla cars have some secret gas emitted in the interior at the driver to brainwash him completely.
The following 2 users liked this post by absent:
C280 Sport (01-02-2017), llcd (03-12-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
So you're thinking the Model S at any level makes more sound than the S class?

And you're also thinking the ride comfort level on a Model S is not at a superior level with the air suspension option?

I'm really trying to understand the idiocy level here when I ask:

Why do you think people buy a Model S over it's competition at the same price level when in fact the competition is so much better (in your opinion, but the world thinks otherwise)?
People are obviously thinking that not having to buy gas (which in my opinion is a big benefit), the maintenance cost and emissions benefits in a sporty package (even though its got a shyte interior) outweigh staid understated expression of automotive elegance and refinement.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 AM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by absent
God save us!
We've got another idiot troll on the board again.
I truly suspect Tesla cars have some secret gas emitted in the interior at the driver to brainwash him completely.

Thanks for the input.
Are all your 2000 posts this informative?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:13 AM

Model S P85+
Agreed two different cars. One gives a good drive with low emissions, the other the ultimate expression of automotive refinement.

Could you be more bias?
C'mon, give it a go, you can do it!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Could you be more bias?
C'mon, give it a go, you can do it!
I guess this guy is more bias also.

As Jack Nicholson so eloquently put it you just can't handle the truth.

Bottom line is I would tend to favor the Tesla S for environmental reasons. If the S Class had the same emissions for the same price then it would be a no brainer pick.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-31-2016 at 10:56 AM.
llcd (03-12-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:57 AM

Model S P85+
I guess this guy is more bias also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z87U8qVxNio

As Jack Nicholson so eloquently put it you just can't handle the truth.

Bottom line is I would favor the Tesla S for environmental reasons. If the S Class had the same emissions for the same price then it would be a no brainer pick.
the Mercedes lost in everything but luxury interior and the model s in that video does not have the new gen seats. Considering one is pure luxury and the other is a sport sedan, that's a given.

electronics works better than anything else (MS)
more efficient (MS)
quickness (MS)
quietness in cabin (MS)
class has been refined since 1954 compared to 2012 (SC)
out handled by Model S (MS)
people are shocked how great the model s is (MS)
best infotainment system (MS)
updates over the air for life (MS)
twice the storage space (not mentioned) (MS)
advanced technology (MS)
warrantee (MS)
free fuel for life if you choose to supercharge all the time (MS)

Looks like the SC 1?

did you really want to post this?
thanks for proving my point

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-31-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
the Mercedes lost in everything but luxury interior and the model s in that video does not have the new gen seats. Considering one is pure luxury and the other is a sport sedan, that's a given.

electronics works better than anything else (MS)
more efficient (MS)
quickness (MS)
quietness in cabin (MS)
class has been refined since 1954 compared to 2012 (SC)
out handled by Model S (MS)
people are shocked how great the model s is (MS)
best infotainment system (MS)
updates over the air for life (MS)
twice the storage space (not mentioned) (MS)
advanced technology (MS)
warrantee (MS)
free fuel for life if you choose to supercharge all the time (MS)

Looks like the SC 1?

did you really want to post this?
thanks for proving my point

I stand by everything the guy had to say other than his feelings about the Mercedes exterior but then I love Mercedes styling. See unlike you I can acknowledge the shortcomings of the S Class like it's shyte fuel mileage. BTW the Mercedes is quieter where it counts which is cruise 60.1 vs 61.7 DB which makes the Mercedes about 45% quieter.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-31-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM

Model S P85+
I stand by everything the guy had to say other than his feelings about the Mercedes exterior but then I love Mercedes styling. See unlike you I can acknowledge the shortcomings of the S Class like it's shyte fuel mileage.
I did not acknowledge the SC has a better interior than the MS?
you have got to be kidding me.

the sad truth is that comparison was not vs a standard MS which is even more luxurious in ride. The 2012/2013 P85/P85+ also beats today's s65 at twice the price. It's amazing what American ingenuity can do in 2 years time. This is just the beginning my friend and the best part is the Germans are determined to try and keep up. If they succeed in keeping up, that will only help create a better market for all of us.

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-31-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Smile

Thanks for the input.
Are all your 2000 posts this informative?
Never fails, trolls are so easy to stir.
You are too new here grasshopper, to know my contributions....
C280 Sport (01-02-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S