S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Expected date new SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Expected date new SL?

Extended maintenance warranty running out on 2013 SL. Planning on purchasing additional 3 years.
1- Anyone have projections when completely new SL available in USA?
2- Any thoughts if hard top or soft top expected?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by docsout
Extended maintenance warranty running out on 2013 SL. Planning on purchasing additional 3 years.
1- Anyone have projections when completely new SL available in USA?
2- Any thoughts if hard top or soft top expected?
1. April 2020 as a MY21
2. Softtop confirmed

The SL will continue as a specialty model between the S-Class cab and the AMG GT C roadster.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I used to think that I would keep a new SL forever! With that frame of mind, I just loved the retractable hardtop on my 2004, as the top would "never" wear out. Then, after having the car for 12 years, the realty set in: you can't keep these cars forever anymore, unless you are into doing major surgery, in the way of replacing hydraulic systems that were pretty much designed to never be replaced. The job is expensive and VERY messy, IF you can find someone to do it. Chances of a mint condition car remaining that way after a job like this are slim. The same goes for the ABC system. Then we have aging electronics, etc.

Anyway, my point is, that I don't care anymore. These new $120K+ cars are best leased for 3 or so years, always under warranty and then you turn it in and get a new one. So, a cloth top is just fine, as by the time it even comes close to wearing or fading, the car will be in someone else's garage.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Wolfman

2. Softtop confirmed
This is so disappointing. I just don't understand the thinking here.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Don't even get me started on "the thinking" at MB. Pretty much everyone here knows my laundry list of ridiculous decisions made by the bean counters in Germany, not to mention the clowns at MBUSA.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I used to think that I would keep a new SL forever! With that frame of mind, I just loved the retractable hardtop on my 2004, as the top would "never" wear out. Then, after having the car for 12 years, the realty set in: you can't keep these cars forever anymore, unless you are into doing major surgery, in the way of replacing hydraulic systems that were pretty much designed to never be replaced. The job is expensive and VERY messy, IF you can find someone to do it. Chances of a mint condition car remaining that way after a job like this are slim. The same goes for the ABC system. Then we have aging electronics, etc.

Anyway, my point is, that I don't care anymore. These new $120K+ cars are best leased for 3 or so years, always under warranty and then you turn it in and get a new one. So, a cloth top is just fine, as by the time it even comes close to wearing or fading, the car will be in someone else's garage.
Sign of the times for any car made at any price point these days.

The issue is that everything is processor controlled and future spare part availability is greatly impacted by the short processor manufacturing life-cycles. Chips needed for these modules are already ancient by the time the car is introduced and can't be re-ordered after a while anymore as the manufacturing tech has moved on.

This is a much bigger issue than hydraulics or anything mechanical. ABC is also not a big deal anymore with the amount of rebuild parts.
(Personal rant following) The amount of whining on forums here about repair costs of ABC distorts the size of the problem.
People are tempted by highly depreciated MB's that were $100k-$200k+ that can be snapped up for pennies on the Dollar and then forget that maintenance costs on these cars can be significant, especially without warranty. If there is a $5k plus repair, it's a significant hit on the budget.
Of course it didn't help that MB in the early years lacked an ABC maintenance schedule or drive the car after seeing the ABC error message (big no no). (End of rant)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Don't even get me started on "the thinking" at MB. Pretty much everyone here knows my laundry list of ridiculous decisions made by the bean counters in Germany, not to mention the clowns at MBUSA.
This is a weight, not a cost decision. You do realize that the RR Dawn has a soft top too?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I personally love the hardtop too because it make the car so much more practical where we live.
We now have the face lifted 2017 SL and I am very happy with the car.
It's interesting how few choices there are if one looks for a two seat convertible in this size.
Besides the Jaguar F-type, there is the Porsche 911 and then the Ferrari, etc. But that's it.
In the future, there is the DB11 and AMG GT roadster.
The S-Class cab. or similar (Bentley, etc.) are just too big & "boaty" for my wife...
Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
My wife has a SLK and part of the appeal is the hardtop convertible roof. Would be a shame to see an overall trend going back to soft tops.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:15 AM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
We live in a subtropical area, i.e., hot damn hot. The hard top rarely is down. But, my wife and I enjoy the luxury interior and the quiet of the hard top in the current model. And, we like the sporty appearance of the car. A soft top is a deal breaker, she wont even consider looking at the new cab and for sure, has nixed considering a new SL soft top. The argument that it's a weight saving issue is bull compared to aluminum or carbon. These things don't sell so well as it is. Mercedes may shoot themselves in the foot with this soft top folly. If, MB corporate follows this forum. Tread lightly, son. There's money to be lost with a soft top. Just saying.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We live in a subtropical area, i.e., hot damn hot. The hard top rarely is down. But, my wife and I enjoy the luxury interior and the quiet of the hard top in the current model. And, we like the sporty appearance of the car. A soft top is a deal breaker, she wont even consider looking at the new cab and for sure, has nixed considering a new SL soft top. The argument that it's a weight saving issue is bull compared to aluminum or carbon. These things don't sell so well as it is. Mercedes may shoot themselves in the foot with this soft top folly. If, MB corporate follows this forum. Tread lightly, son. There's money to be lost with a soft top. Just saying.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even though I said I didn't care about a soft vs. hard top--and I don't, I completely agree with you. The SL has been a unique car in its class with the retractable hard top. As for the weight issue, the SL, pretty much since 1972, has been a very heavy grand tourer and folks have LOVED IT that way. If MB changes the car dramatically--which a cloth top would do, it will turn off a lot of long time, repeat customers and open the flood gates for them to shop the competition. Right now, MB has this niche market pretty much sewed up. WHY fix something that isn't broken?
The following users liked this post:
garymac (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2009 SL550, 2016 E350, 2019 AMG GT rdstr
Even though I said I didn't care about a soft vs. hard top--and I don't, I completely agree with you. The SL has been a unique car in its class with the retractable hard top. As for the weight issue, the SL, pretty much since 1972, has been a very heavy grand tourer and folks have LOVED IT that way. If MB changes the car dramatically--which a cloth top would do, it will turn off a lot of long time, repeat customers and open the flood gates for them to shop the competition. Right now, MB has this niche market pretty much sewed up. WHY fix something that isn't broken?
Streamliner - You're 100% correct. I drive an SL550 as well as my S550 and would never consider a soft top replacement.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

While I agree with everyone re. the hardtop, I can't see any any competition for the car right now. You know, SL's used to be soft top before 2002 😉
Old 09-03-2016, 08:17 PM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
Yeah, had one. Been there, ain't doing it again. Hence, my post and opinion. This thing of monkey see, monkey do
trying to follow cars ( RR & Bentley)that cost 2-3 times the cost of MBs is foolish on their part. A 70 y/o can't dress like a 30y/o. Wake up and take a reality pill.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:20 PM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
If I was enamored with soft tops, I would have opted for a Rolls or Bentley. Rather, I chose the sporty car with a hard top.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
1. April 2020 as a MY21
2. Softtop confirmed

The SL will continue as a specialty model between the S-Class cab and the AMG GT C roadster.
Mercedes Benz USA confirmed it's going to be a soft top? That's a terrible idea.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

If I was enamored with soft tops, I would have opted for a Rolls or Bentley. Rather, I chose the sporty car with a hard top.
You guys crack me up.

If you select a convertible solely by a having a hardtop, you have a choice of one (at this level) and eventually none.

I want the hard top too but I pick the car I like first. If it has a hard top the better it is, if not it's not a showstopper for me
Old 09-04-2016, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... If it has a hard top the better it is, if not it's not a showstopper for me
But for others, myself included, it is a showstopper. I don't like soft tops so when one shows up, I won't buy the car, no matter how nice it is.

This seems perfectly logical to me, just sayin.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

But for others, myself included, it is a showstopper. I don't like soft tops so when one shows up, I won't buy the car, no matter how nice it is.

This seems perfectly logical to me, just sayin.
Of course it makes perfect sense. We all have our priorities when selecting a car and each one makes different choices based on what matters most.

What I was trying to say is that for one reason or another, hardtop convertibles are a dying breed and the SL is the only luxury convertible cruiser (not counting the SLC) that has a hard top left. Not counting some exotics though...

I am not defending Mercedes corporate choices as I disagree with them just the same. Just pointing out what's on the roadmap
Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For me, a convertible is a third car for my wife and I. It will rarely be driven with the top up. The top will mostly be used to keep the interior clean while the car sits in the garage, or out of the sun when we park it somewhere. So, even though I prefer a retractable hard top, it's not a big deal anymore. The worst things about a soft top are keeping it clean (especially if it is a light color) and the possibility that someone might cut it to break in. Over a three year lease, neither is much of a concern to me.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 SL550
Just to weigh in - In case anyone from M-B reads these threads.

I have a 2014 S550 and 2014 SL550.

I will not buy an SL with a soft top.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
OK, OK, let's start ALL over again. Let me pose this to this learned opinionated forum. If/when the new SL comes with a soft top then, what two seater boulevardiere coupe with luxe interior could possibly be an alternative? Hmmmm?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

OK, OK, let's start ALL over again. Let me pose this to this learned opinionated forum. If/when the new SL comes with a soft top then, what two seater boulevardiere coupe with luxe interior could possibly be an alternative? Hmmmm?
None. That was my point...
Old 09-08-2016, 02:29 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Had several '13-'14 SL65s: urban commuter cars and wkend mtn twisties cars: phenomenal: never put top down (in CA): better acoustics vs engine/exhaust music w/top&windows closed

Now have couple '16 S65 Coupes: same uses; so much more enjoyable in mtn twisties than SL65....but gearbox worse in urban driving (jerky in decels, hesitant throttle response) and CCBs are creaky/groaning in urban use (vs CCB of SL65, both properly bedded)...and can't ever go back to steel brakes after addicted to pedal feel of competent CCB esp vs spirited driving

Am replacing w/'17 S65 Coupe largely for wkend twisties and '17 911TurboS Coupe for urban driving....ironically, latest PDK is smoother than 65 box in urban driving; but prefer 65 in twisties and on fast fwys (and in rain AMG CCBs seem far more than competent than PCCB)...and engine/exhaust music of 65 at any speed is a delight

Suspect given anemic sales of SL, tech/safety/debugging of SL will chronically lag, much like in case of Bent/RR...or Ferr for that matter....need some scale in case of cars to have proper safety engineering&debugging (esp vs cars driven more heavily where bugs/warranty claims/crashes more quickly arise)

Prefer S Coupe where suspect MB can spread safety&chassis engineering/debugging, etc costs over far bigger S platform

These cars are all, at most, 2yr leases: don't want to be in any car w/aging airbag systems (consider Takata implics): effectively onboard ticking time bombs when airbags are inept/decaying