question about importing a used S550 into California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
S550
question about importing a used S550 into California

Hi,

I'm getting ready to buy from a dealer out of state (I'm in California). Has anyone experienced any problems doing this? I've looked on the DMV website and it all seems to be fine. The car has 17k miles and is a 50 state car. I assume I'll just have to pay the sales tax to CA when I register it at the DMV.
* Do they do an inspection when you register?
* If I've already paid out of state sales tax, does that discount what I pay at the CA DMV?

thanks

-Richard
Old 10-08-2016, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
You will have to have it inspected, and sniff tested to get it registered.

You will pay sales tax on what you buy it for.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
There should be no out of state sales tax as you are not residing in whatever state it's coming from. You will pay the dmv the sales tax when you go down to get it registered and inspected here.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
We have purchase several MB's out of state. The sales tax process depends upon whether the selling state has a reciprocal agreement with Ca. In our most recent purchase this summer the state of the seller collected their sales tax. California credited that and collected the difference. The car was in Ohio, Ohio also provided 30 day temporary plates.
When you get the car, take it to a smog station of your choice. Call your insurer to get proof of insurance. I highly recommend using a local AAA office if you are a member. I drove the car to AAA, they physically verify the car, fill out the paperwork, take your check then hand you the permanent plates. The entire process took 20 minutes with no appointment. The California title arrived in the mail about 2 weeks later.
The following users liked this post:
RSouthern (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Quadrobenz
We have purchase several MB's out of state. The sales tax process depends upon whether the selling state has a reciprocal agreement with Ca. In our most recent purchase this summer the state of the seller collected their sales tax. California credited that and collected the difference. The car was in Ohio, Ohio also provided 30 day temporary plates.
When you get the car, take it to a smog station of your choice. Call your insurer to get proof of insurance. I highly recommend using a local AAA office if you are a member. I drove the car to AAA, they physically verify the car, fill out the paperwork, take your check then hand you the permanent plates. The entire process took 20 minutes with no appointment. The California title arrived in the mail about 2 weeks later.
I think Illinois must be similar to Ohio. The dealer has a line item on the sheet showing tax at the CA rate. I did a walk through on the CA DMV web site and there's a question about what tax has already been paid, so that seems ok.

Did you have any more frequent smog check requirements for the out of state purchase? A guy I work with bought a VW out of state a few years ago and said he needed to do yearly smog checks. Buying new the past few cars here in CA get a waver for smog for 4 or 5 years. I hope it's the same, but am prepared to deal with it incase it's not.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Ca requires a smog every 24 months. A new car gets a waiver of the first check so one is not required until the car is titled for 4 years. It is then every 2 years after that. Previously titled cars require a smog to get the plates and title then every 2 years after that. I have not purchased a new car out of state, but were it a Mercedes I would have the local dealer get it and buy it from the local MB dealer. Price and tax would be the same, MBLN would sell at whatever price another dealer was advertising.