S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Chicago area owners near Fletcher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
S550
Chicago area owners near Fletcher

Hi to anyone in Chicago, I'm looking for a little help. I'm looking to buy a CPO 2015 S550 4Matic (silver over black) that they have at Fletcher Jones (1520 W. North Avenue). It's been there for a while and I'm in California and can't make it out to Chicago to check it. I've asked my sales person to take some pictures but he will be unavoidably biased, and even if he isn't I'll never be able to know.

I'm hoping that someone in the area has had a chance to see if and would be kind enough to share your thoughts on it with me. Does it have a funny smell inside or does it still have a new car smell. Any rock chips on the hood or other minor damage? Any wear marks on the interior? Scratches on the dash screens, chipped paint on the buttons, Those sort of things. I really appreciate anything you can share if you've seen it, sat in it, know anything about it. I'm ready to buy it but this is the firt time I'm buying sight unseen. To make matters worse, this is the first MB I'm buying, having been a long time BMW owner, so I'm not even sure what I shoud be worried about (other than service costs )

thanks for anything you can share

-Richard

Last edited by RSouthern; 10-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Best $100 you'll ever spend

http://homepage.aiminspections.com/s...r-inspections/
The following users liked this post:
RSouthern (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 02:52 PM

S550
It looks like AIMInspections will give me a mechanical overview. Since this car is CPO from a dealer there's probably less value in it for me since all mechanical things will be covered by either the remaining factory warranty or the CPO extension.

I'm wanting to make sure there's nothing odd from the perspective on an S550 owner who has live with or intimately knows the car.

I'm pretty excited about this car but because no one has purchased it yet, it makes me concerned that there's something wrong. Basically, why is this car still here.

thanks!
-R
Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by RSouthern
It looks like AIMInspections will give me a mechanical overview. Since this car is CPO from a dealer there's probably less value in it for me since all mechanical things will be covered by either the remaining factory warranty or the CPO extension.

I'm wanting to make sure there's nothing odd from the perspective on an S550 owner who has live with or intimately knows the car.

I'm pretty excited about this car but because no one has purchased it yet, it makes me concerned that there's something wrong. Basically, why is this car still here.

thanks!
-R
Market for that car is pretty soft at the moment, nothing to do with this particular one.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,575 Likes on 2,042 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I live in Newport Beach, CA, home to FJ and my personal opinion is to not walk away from FJ, but to RUN! I believe that they are completely unethical and that it comes right from the top. I would never buy a car from FJ, here, there or anywhere, PERIOD!
The following users liked this post:
RSouthern (10-12-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
There are two listed. I'm in Wisconsin and for what it is worth, I've never seen a great deal relative to condition from a Chicago dealer. The competition is such that everyone knows the market and what price the condition dictates. The roads in Chicago are also awful so any sales guy should be able to show you the nicks and scratches. I've bought cars with 1800, 2500, and 11000 miles and all have blemishes. I'm pretty **** so any car with more than 10000 just doesn't get me there unless I intend to respray parts ( which I did with the 11000 mile car ). A Chicago car with no clear bra will have paint issues at 17000 and particularly at 30000 if that is the one you are watching. I've not seen it so take this for what little it is worth. Dave
Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Put a posting on craigslist. You wil find someone eager for $100 to take dozens of pics. Trust me, it should work out beautifully.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:15 PM

S550
Originally Posted by beckerkumm
There are two listed. I'm in Wisconsin and for what it is worth, I've never seen a great deal relative to condition from a Chicago dealer. The competition is such that everyone knows the market and what price the condition dictates. The roads in Chicago are also awful so any sales guy should be able to show you the nicks and scratches. I've bought cars with 1800, 2500, and 11000 miles and all have blemishes. I'm pretty **** so any car with more than 10000 just doesn't get me there unless I intend to respray parts ( which I did with the 11000 mile car ). A Chicago car with no clear bra will have paint issues at 17000 and particularly at 30000 if that is the one you are watching. I've not seen it so take this for what little it is worth. Dave
Thanks Dave. It's the 17k one actually and it does have a clear bra (PPF). It's from out of state, they bought it at auction I believe. I do appreciate the details of the Chicago area road condition. At this point, I've agreed to buy the car, so I'll have to get the wheels checked for true-ness when it arrives here in California.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM

S550
Originally Posted by ABWAP
Put a posting on craigslist. You wil find someone eager for $100 to take dozens of pics. Trust me, it should work out beautifully.
Interesting idea, I was hoping for an S550 owner to give me a comparison, especially if they bought new. At this point I'm pretty much committed, so we'll see how it goes. If it's been misrepresented then I will have some recourse, but it seems like it's as presented so far. The dealer did send me a number of photographs so I'm feeling a lot more comfortable. The dealer has been a little frustrating to work with, but after talking with the business manager personally, I understand that margins are very thin on CPO, although he did find a little room for me, so I feel pretty good.

thanks for the reply!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by RSouthern
Interesting idea, I was hoping for an S550 owner to give me a comparison, especially if they bought new. At this point I'm pretty much committed, so we'll see how it goes. If it's been misrepresented then I will have some recourse, but it seems like it's as presented so far. The dealer did send me a number of photographs so I'm feeling a lot more comfortable. The dealer has been a little frustrating to work with, but after talking with the business manager personally, I understand that margins are very thin on CPO, although he did find a little room for me, so I feel pretty good.

thanks for the reply!

You are going to love the car! I assume it is the one that is loaded with virtually all options that one can order.

I had a new '14 S550 4matic that was totaled in an accident. After the accident I ordered a '16 S550 4matic with the same equipment that the one you are buying except I did not get the high end 3d stereo since the standard one is absolutely awesome (also mine is Ruby Black with Beige/Espresso interior). One other difference from yours and mine is I have the 19" wheels on the sport package due to the roads in Pittsburgh (like Chicago) with many potholes. The 20" AMGs are known to have issues with potholes. But in CA you will not have issues with potholes like Chicago or Pittsburgh. My son loves the rear seat tray tables. Absolutely awesome car. Let us know when you get it with any issues you have.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 PM

S550
Thanks MTraurman. Glad I won't be the only owner chauffeuring my kid around

I was a little worried about the back seats only configured for 2 but my GTR is the same way except without the monitors and seat trays, so it's fine for my family of 3 (me, wife and daughter). By the way, the GTR is the worlds best family race car The back seats are like sofas for my daughter, I imagine the MB will reset expectations with the heat/vent and massage.

Can't wait to see the new (to me) car. maybe another week until it's delivered. Having it shipped by train instead of truck since it's the same price and is supposed to be safer. Guess I'll find out soon.

-Richard