S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Can a Harley-Davidson special edition be far behind?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,575 Likes on 2,042 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Can a Harley-Davidson special edition be far behind?

Well, it is happening and MB will have a pick-up truck: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/10/...-revealed.html

Pretty soon, S Class sedans will be available one way, no options and only in black. No choices, because the dealers and MBUSA and MBDE will be overwhelmed trying to become General Motors or Ford, almost overnight. How many new models has MB introduced over the last two years? I'd say that the number is close to FIFTY, if not many more--and the vast majority have been at the lower end.

Every time you go to schedule service on your S Class, you are competing with umpteen HUNDREDS of CLA's, GLA's, C "this" and C "that," Sprinter vans and soon, pick-up trucks, and at some point SOMETHING has got to give. Try waiting for your car in the "lounge" these days. It's like ROMPER ROOM, with kids running everywhere and soccer moms on their cell phones.

Every time MB introduces another down market vehicle, the luxury vehicle experience that S Class owners have come to enjoy, is being diluted.

Just as a comparison, Hyundai has branded "Genisis" as a stand apart company, similar to Toyota with Lexus. Genesis will send a valet to your home or office to pick up your car for service and leave a nice, new Genisis for you to drive. I'm not saying I'm going to Genisis, but with MB, they need to do something to save their luxury customers, who are feeling just a bit ignored these days.

I know it will never happen, but I suggest that dealerships be split: E Class and above at luxury, MB branded dealerships and everything else at "MB Sprinter" dealerships. Oh well, I can only dream.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'm planning on leaving MB behind at the end of my 4 year stint with this S class..I'll keep my CLS until it's extended warranty runs out......but I kind of feel like you......pretty fed up with MB after only 6 years of ownership.........

I think they figure "we're Mercedes Benz and we can do what we want"....well, that's true, but I for one will be spending my money else where in the near future
Old 10-26-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
I don't see the big deal, but many have felt that way - when MB introduced the ML in the late 90's they were criticized for jumping in on the hot SUV market, that didn't turn out so bad. I've been wondering where a North American MB Van was coming? I see them in Europe and we already have wagons here, vans aren't to different. But I love seeing a truck from Mercedes, why not?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
The MB vans are all over Orange County already. Similar to something like an Econoline.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Out of interest, what brands would you guys be moving to instead of Mercedes?
Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Out of interest, what brands would you guys be moving to instead of Mercedes?
a good question indeed......believe it or not, I'm considering an Accord
I feel like I won't get as mad when something or someone...goes wrong....as I'll have lower expectations
Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
I know this is heredical but, a friend told me that Lexus (LS version) dealership makes him feel special and that he is valued. Somehow, I don't feel that way from MB or the dealership which is in a crappy part of town, customer waiting area has furniture from a yard sale, and tech work area looks like something from the '50s oily concrete floors and un air- conditioned. Audi and Genesis have new dealerships here. After 37 years it may be time for something different. Poor electronics with iPhone, navigation, not giving people the option of a spare, feeble selection of colors. MB, you reading this?
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by docsout
I know this is heredical but, a friend told me that Lexus (LS version) dealership makes him feel special and that he is valued. Somehow, I don't feel that way from MB or the dealership which is in a crappy part of town, customer waiting area has furniture from a yard sale, and tech work area looks like something from the '50s oily concrete floors and un air- conditioned. Audi and Genesis have new dealerships here. After 37 years it may be time for something different. Poor electronics with iPhone, navigation, not giving people the option of a spare, feeble selection of colors. MB, you reading this?
Between 1993 and 2012, I had 8, brand new, loaded LS sedans as my daily drivers. The service department customer lounge at Lexus Westminster is second to none. Honestly, it makes the one at MB Laguna Niguel look like an outhouse. Several, distinct areas with comfortable sofas and chairs, with several big screen TV's. Lots of magazines, three computers for customer use in secluded, private cubbyholes. But, the best part: a uniformed attendant taking care of the complimentary snack bar, with two, very elaborate coffee/espresso machines, toasted bagels, fresh donuts, milk, sodas, mineral water and the list goes on. I can't even think of driving a new Lexus with their ridiculous spindle grill, but oh, how I miss that service department! AND, brand new RX SUV loan cars, which is way better than a CLA from MB.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
While I understand people going for Lexus, I find the cars designs and driving experience boring with design elements bordering on horrible.

There are another 6 or so brands I would consider before Lexus...
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
While I understand people going for Lexus, I find the cars designs and driving experience boring with design elements bordering on horrible.

There are another 6 or so brands I would consider before Lexus...
I agree. I believe that Toyota/Lexus were hurt very substantially with the earthquake and flooding, but to their credit, they never used it as an excuse. I wish them well and hope that their anime spindle grill design philosophy will go the way of the BMW Bangle Butt.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
So Wolf, in your opinion what other brands come to your mind?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:33 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
+1, would like to know too Wolf
Old 10-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,412 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Excellent discussion

what is to prevent Benz from creating Benz_2.0 or Benz Special Edition dealership for their higher end models? Can't that experience be built into the cars price? At least an option

i like hyperions thought about buying an accord because it won't let you down or pretend to be something that it's not. It'll be an accord and when it rattles or has less than stellar performance you'll never think twice because your expectations of it are of an accord and nothing more ... I think Benz claims their cars and experience is second to none and I while they are nice and somewhat overpriced i don't think they are second to none
Old 10-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 SL550
I agree that the Lexus dealers do a good job in making you feel special. But if you drive a LS, you will quickly see that the car doesn't make you feel special.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

6 brands before Lexus?

I would have to be specific based on what kind of car I was looking for...
Sine we were talking about sedans, it'll these cars/brands.

1. Mercedes with the S-Class still come first because I like the design
2. Don't actually care for Porsche, but the new Panamera moved from ugly duckling to good looking. Even the interior has nicely improved.
3. Audi A8. The 2018 one, that is. Even if Audi seems to abandon any flowing exterior shapes and designs boxes on wheels, the cars are competent and well built.
4. BMW 7 series. In this case the 760 with M-sport package. Not an exciting car by any means but on a different level than Lexus.
5. Bentley. Can't stand the headlights (or the tail lights for that matter) but the updated bumper designs have helped. I am still too young for that car by 30 years but while pricier than others, they are throwing them at you with lease prices MB can only dream of. How about a $250k car for less than $2k a month with zero down?
6. Tesla. I will close my eyes (it's an eyesore but less so than Lexus spindle grills+) and ears (to not hear my wife complaining about the crappy interior and how much the seats are hurting her back) but at least it's a hoot to drive...

If I would be thinking of coupes/convertibles, the list would vary

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-29-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

6 brands before Lexus?

I would have to be specific based on what kind of car I was looking for...
Sine we were talking about sedans, it'll these cars/brands.

1. Mercedes with the S-Class still come first because I like the design
2. Don't actually care for Porsche, but the new Panamera moved from ugly duckling to decent looking. Even the interior has nicely improved.
3. Audi A8. The 2018 one, that is. Even if Audi seems to abandon any flowing exterior shapes and designs boxes on wheels, the cars are competent and well built.
4. BMW 7 series. In this case the 760 with M-sport package. Not an exciting car by any means but on a different level than Lexus.
5. Bentley. Can't stand the headlights (or the tail lights for that matter) but the updated bumper designs have helped. I am still too young for that car by 30 years but while pricier than others, they are throwing them at you with lease prices MB can only dream of. How about a $250k car for less than $2k a month with zero down?
6. Tesla. I will close my eyes (it's an eyesore but less so than Lexus spindle grills+) and ears (too hear my wife complaining about the crappy interior and how much the seats are hurting her back) but at least it's a hoot to drive...

If I would be thinking of coupes/convertibles, the list would vary
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
what about non yuppie cars?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hyperion667
what about non yuppie cars?
Have never looked at it that way. For me,safety rules. Had a couple 130mph accidents I walked away from and I give credit to proven tech (knock on wood)

So if anything, I would pick smaller models of the same brands.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm planning on leaving MB behind at the end of my 4 year stint with this S class..I'll keep my CLS until it's extended warranty runs out......but I kind of feel like you......pretty fed up with MB after only 6 years of ownership.........

I think they figure "we're Mercedes Benz and we can do what we want"....well, that's true, but I for one will be spending my money else where in the near future
Honestly, the CLS 2014, was the last muscular car could buy with the better headlights, the newer cls is dumbed down and looks wimpy. Everything is starting to look wimpy and blah.