Looking for 2015/2016 S550 and could use some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes, BMW
Looking for 2015/2016 S550 and could use some advice

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice on how best to go about purchasing a used 2015/2016 S550. My budget is about $85k out the door so any help would be appreciated. Are there any concerns that my budget is too restrictive? I see many of these on different sites but they vary in costs...not only due to miles and options. I just want o get a fair deal on a nice S class and want to make the most of it while looking. Also, the 4Matic is appealing to me...any thoughts on the pros/cons of that model. Thanks in advance for your advice...this forum is an amazing place and my short time looking at your feedback to questions has been eye-opening. Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Dave Solomon
Rocklin, Ca
Old 12-18-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Dave, for $85,000 of that you're very close to buying a new car. If not a new car may be a demonstrator or a car that a dealer has been driving

In order to determine which options you want I would go on the Mercedes-Benz website and try to build the car. You can create an account for yourself and it will save your build.

Each time you select an option there is a link to explain that option and sometimes a video. You can also do a search on YouTube and sometimes people make videos.

I very much like the view on the screen that shows you the car from above. I forget what it's called but in order to engage it you have to press the little button marked 360. It helps to see how close you are to the curb so you don't scratch your wheels.

There is a option with the cruise control that slows the car down automatically if the car ahead of you slows down.

There is an option that if you veer off to the right or off to the left the steering wheel will vibrate and the car will automatically get you back into your lane. I like that.

I like the dynamic seats.

The trick is you get these different packages and the packages include different things. They're sort of weird the way they lump them together.

I also got a sort of sport package which has nicer wheels and a different look. I got the mid range leather and I think my car was $120,000 book and I think I paid $108,000.

I have to believe that if you buy at the right time of year and you downgrade your options a little bit and you get cars that the dealer was driving you'll get close to $90,000. And you get a full warranty and all the other monkey business

Good luck
Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

Mercedes, BMW
Looking for 2015/2016 S550

Thanks e55phil! Appreciate the feedback very much. I am surprised that I might be able to purchase a new model given my budget...not seeing anything close by that would meet that criteria. I live near Sacramento and the MB dealers hear don't seem to deal like those in other parts of Ca. I am willing to purchase out of state although that would be a new experience for me. I am going to take your advice and look at specific options to see what I can afford..what are musts versus nice to haves. My goal is to buy one in January...I will keep you up-to-date on my search.

All the best,

Dave
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
If you want the biggest discount on a leftover 2016, I'd try to buy at the end of this month. You could probably get close to 20% off MSRP which easily puts a 100K MSRP into your budget.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Mercedes, BMW
Thanks Jenz, appreciate the reply. I like your thinking about the end of month but I have some cap gains issues that make me have to wait till January so I suspect I will purchase at that time. I'm hopeful that I can find a fair deal on the S550 (50/50 whether or not it will be a 4Matic). Thanks again for your feedback. I need all the help that I can get.

Regards,

Dave
Old 12-19-2016, 04:02 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jenz
If you want the biggest discount on a leftover 2016, I'd try to buy at the end of this month. You could probably get close to 20% off MSRP which easily puts a 100K MSRP into your budget.
+1

You can, sign the deal on 12/30-31 (best days of year to buy) and arrange for payment on 01/03

Last edited by RJC; 12-19-2016 at 11:55 PM.