S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S Class tips & tricks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Thumbs up Locking Doors without Key Fob

No need to dig for your key fob (buried in your purse perhaps). Once you are out of the car and have shut the door just rub your hand on the door handle to the left then right (or right to left) and the doors will lock. Key must be on you and not left in the car of course. Works great for my S550 2015.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 485 Likes on 337 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by NaviTimer1
Or you can also gently pump the brake twice to also activate the hold.
I only have to depress it once very hard to activate this feature. Same for my E class.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S450
This is so helpful that it should be elevated to a sticky!

Mods?

Old 03-02-2023, 01:00 PM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
There is a piece of foam in one of the rear door storage pockets. It is to store the rear seat ashtray. You will see the circular hole in the foam to insert it in.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:51 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
So i just tested out the Sync Feature!!!!! Wow and Happy! (for me) it is a lot easier to HOLD DOWN the Menu Button and it will reset ALL Temps ( Front and Rear (Quad Climate)) to 72...… Then you can adjust from there. At first try, I set the Driver to 65, passenger to 75, and Rear to two different temps...… When I did the reset, i thought Wow, Amazing, Mercedes took an Average and set that to the new temp! Not true, just 72 as default.
Nice Tip!
That still works on a 2019 S560. As soon as it reset I swear the A/C was colder and worked better. I set it to 76 and have never been happier.

I can't get the recirculation trick to work tho.

From the Owners Manual
Switching air-recirculation mode on/off - Press the button. The interior air will be recirculated. Air-recirculation mode automatically switches to fresh air mode after some time. If air-recirculation mode is switched on, the windows may fog up more quickly. Switch on air-recirculation mode only briefly.
No mention of windows rolling up or sunroof closing. Would have been a nice feature.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 03-02-2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by tikka111
No need to dig for your key fob (buried in your purse perhaps). Once you are out of the car and have shut the door just rub your hand on the door handle to the left then right (or right to left) and the doors will lock. Key must be on you and not left in the car of course. Works great for my S550 2015.
there's actually a little rectangle depression on the door handle where you can simply touch a finger to it and it will lock the doors. no need to rub/scratch the paint on the handle.
The following users liked this post:
badq45t (03-13-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:41 AM

Received 172 Likes on 106 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
Originally Posted by jcat
there's actually a little rectangle depression on the door handle where you can simply touch a finger to it and it will lock the doors. no need to rub/scratch the paint on the handle.
I just use the back of my hand/fingers on the outside of the handle, it stops me from putting my fingers on the inside of the handle and unlocking!
Old 03-05-2023, 02:26 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
I found this one too!

Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
Transport Mode raises the vehicle even higher than the standard vehicle raised height mode on W222 Airmatic equipped vehicles. This mode would assist the front air dam in clearing a tilted roll back transport deck, train ramp or similar.

I tried this mode and snapped a few photos of the results. Looks like it could help get you out of a stuck high-center, high water, deep snow or if you had to get a jack under the vehicle if off-road. Probably could help elderly persons enter & exit. Its takes a few minutes to raise and lower to & from the transport height so be patient while it transforms if you try it. Maximum speed is 20 MPH or 32 KPH. I did not try to drive in this mode yet.

With the engine running, to start you need to be completely in the standard raised position after you have short pressed the raise vehicle button with the vehicle in "P"ark.

After the vehicle finishes its standard Vehicle Rising ^ phase, you long press the raise vehicle button for 5 seconds. There will be no indication that it is raising further other than the noise of the air compressor running and the air strut valves engaging and releasing as the vehicle raises around the 4 corners. After it completes raising to the transport mode, the raise vehicle button's red LED will be flashing. There will also be a message in red on the dashboard stating Max. Speed 20MPH with a red outline of a vehicle & a down arrow.

To lower the vehicle out of transport mode, long press the
raise vehicle button for 5 seconds, Again this takes to awhile to lower from this height.

W222 S-Class Cross-Over...

Mud Flaps/ Splash guards on order.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:23 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
There is a place in each front door storage pocket for a small umbrella. Do not just place it in the bottom of the pocket and try to push it back. It actually goes in the hole just a little higher in the back of the pocket. If you put your hand in there you will feel another pocket just above the bottom. That's where you put the umbrella. It fits perfectly in there and wont rattle in the pocket now. It also allows more usable space in the main pocket.
C Swenson (03-05-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,704 Likes on 2,300 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by jcat
not sure about the pre-facelift W222 but for the facelift I think you could just touch (tap) any part of the outer door handle once and it will lock, the rectangle depression is one way to lock it but not the only way, I believe the whole outer door handle is a lock sensor. careful not to touch the unlock sensor from the inside of the sensor with your fingers.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBGuy2022
There is a place in each front door storage pocket for a small umbrella. Do not just place it in the bottom of the pocket and try to push it back. It actually goes in the hole just a little higher in the back of the pocket. If you put your hand in there you will feel another pocket just above the bottom. That's where you put the umbrella. It fits perfectly in there and wont rattle in the pocket now. It also allows more usable space in the main pocket.
Thanks, good find
Rich
Old 03-07-2023, 10:31 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
The trunk release switch in the drivers door and on the key fobs both open and close the trunk.

For the fob just press the trunk button and hold until trunk reacts. The trunk will either open or close. If you press the button again while in motion the trunk stops. Press again and it reverses.

For the door trunk switch just pull up to open. To close push down on the switch and hold until closed and noise stops. If you release while closing, the trunk stops in that position. Push down to continue closing.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 03-08-2023 at 03:22 PM.
BenzV12 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 748 Likes on 484 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by tikka111
I've had my S560 for 2 weeks now (and I owned a S550 for 2 years in the past) and I did not know that until yesterday when I saw your note!!!. Thank you, this works like magic, and now I can quickly touch any area on the handle rather than focusing on that little sensor!!!! much more convenient and a bit stress-free.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:34 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Switching the automatic locking feature on/off
The vehicle is locked automatically when the ignition is switched on and the wheels are turning faster than walking pace.

To deactivate: press and hold the drivers door unlock button for approximately five seconds until an acoustic signal sounds.
To activate: press and hold the drivers door lock button for approximately five seconds until an acoustic signal sounds.

If you don't hear anything that means it is already in that mode.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 03-08-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:43 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Activating/deactivating the trunk lid opening height restriction
This function allows you to avoid bumping the trunk lid on a low garage ceiling,

Multimedia system:
Vehicle/Vehicle Settings /Trunk Lid Restriction
Activate or deactivate the function.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:26 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Convenience Closing
1. If you press and hold the small depression (looks like a small rectangle) on any door exterior handle while the key is in your pocket and the doors are closed, you can automatically close all windows and sunroof. If you push it again it will close the sunshades.
2. If you press and hold the Lock button on the SmartKey the following functions are performed:
  • The vehicle is locked.
  • The side windows are closed.
  • The panoramic sliding sunroof is closed.
To interrupt convenience closing: release the Lock button.
To close the roller sunblinds: press and hold the Lock button again.

Convenience opening - ventilating the vehicle before starting a journey
1. If you press and hold the Unlock button on the SmartKey the following functions are performed:
  • The vehicle is unlocked.
  • The side windows are opened.
  • The panoramic sliding sunroof is opened.
  • The seat ventilation of the driver's seat is switched on.
To interrupt convenience opening: release the Unlock button.
To continue convenience opening: press and hold the Unlock button again.

And another thing

Rain closing function of panoramic when driving
Vehicles with a panoramic sliding sunroof: If it starts to rain, the raised sliding sunroof is automatically lowered while the vehicle is in motion.

I'll stop now. These were a few things I found while reading the owners manual. I thought these were cool to know.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 03-08-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Denis Osullivan (03-08-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 07:45 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
If you get in touch with BenzNinja at benzninja.com you can get your car lowered 1" to Euro specs and even lower if you want. You can get your headlamps to operate like never before with the ILS+ improvement. High Beams like they're supposed to work not just flick on and off. You can also unlock the speed restrictions on your media center so no more messages "Vehicle has to be in Park" in order to set things up or enter a navigation address. I highly recommend all 3 as now I am enjoying them. The stance of the vehicle lowered 1" is PERFECT. The headlamps now are incredible at night and the ability to work the navigation while driving (usually the passenger wife doing it) is a plus for sure.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBGuy2022:
badq45t (03-13-2023), C Swenson (03-11-2023), Robb92914 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 748 Likes on 484 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
If you do not use one of the vehicle or a SmartKey for an extended period of time, you can reduce the energy consumption of the respective SmartKey. To do so, deactivate the SmartKey functions.
  • To deactivate: press the "LOCL" button on the SmartKey twice in rapid succession. The battery check lamp of the SmartKey flashes twice briefly and lights up once.
  • To activate: press any button on the Smart‐Key.
Works well when traveling too so you get back to your car with still-good-to-go key. Works well too when watching the vehicle to avoid unintentional lock/unlock.

{sorry if this is repeated or was mentioned before)

Last edited by S_W222; 03-13-2023 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
MBGuy2022 (03-13-2023), Nice Ride (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by S_W222
If you do not use one of the vehicle or a SmartKey for an extended period of time, you can reduce the energy consumption of the respective SmartKey. To do so, deactivate the SmartKey functions.
  • To deactivate: press the "LOCL" button on the SmartKey twice in rapid succession. The battery check lamp of the SmartKey flashes twice briefly and lights up once.
Works well when traveling too so you get back to your car with still-good-to-go key. Works well too when watching the vehicle to avoid unintentional lock/unlock.

{sorry if this is repeated or was mentioned before)
This is and EXTREEMLY IMPORTANT SECURITY FEATURE.

All Cars that have RF Keys take note. It is easier to steal your car today with no key, no broken glass and no tampered locks. Thieves have access to RF scanning equipment which will capture the signal your key is putting out 24/7 and they also have the ability to repeat the signal. So, Thief A will walk near your home till his nifty piece of equipment grabs the weak RF Signal, it will then transmit this signal to Thief #2 who is standing by car/truck, all thief #2 needs to do is touch the handle, car unlocks, get in and start normally. The car thinks the key in present.
They both get in and drive away.
Only 2 ways to stop this from happening from you at home or a Restaurant. Deactivate as stated above or keep your key in a RF Container / Pouch etc.
Amazon.com : rf key fob blocker Amazon.com : rf key fob blocker

Yes, its that easy....

Old 03-13-2023, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,704 Likes on 2,300 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
This is and EXTREEMLY IMPORTANT SECURITY FEATURE.

All Cars that have RF Keys take note. It is easier to steal your car today with no key, no broken glass and no tampered locks. Thieves have access to RF scanning equipment which will capture the signal your key is putting out 24/7 and they also have the ability to repeat the signal. So, Thief A will walk near your home till his nifty piece of equipment grabs the weak RF Signal, it will then transmit this signal to Thief #2 who is standing by car/truck, all thief #2 needs to do is touch the handle, car unlocks, get in and start normally. The car thinks the key in present.
They both get in and drive away.
Only 2 ways to stop this from happening from you at home or a Restaurant. Deactivate as stated above or keep your key in a RF Container / Pouch etc.
Amazon.com : rf key fob blocker

Yes, its that easy....

Person Uses Key Scanner to Take Car || ViralHog - YouTube
Or double press the lock button to disable keyless go, make sure to do it for both keys, if not using the other key simply remove the battery. For newer style keys like the ones debuted with the E-Class, as others mentioned, it has a motion sensor and automatically deactivates after a couple of minutes of not sensing motion.
Nice Ride (03-13-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:09 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
To open hood to its fully opened position on a LH drive S Class with red buttons on hood struts
  • Open hood as normal
  • Press the red button on the drivers side hood strut until it is pushed in and stays there
  • Press the red button on the passenger side hood strut while holding hood and lift hood to its fully open position until the red button clicks into the locked position hole in the passenger side hood strut
  • To close hood - Press red button on passenger side hood strut while holding hood - Lower hood until red buttons click into their original position holes on both hood struts - then close hood normally.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:19 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by S_W222
You just solved my intermittent door handle not unlocking when I come up to the car. Sometimes I would press the lock button a couple of times to make sure it was locking. I would do it rapidly sometimes. When you do this don't expect the car to recognize you when you grab the handle the next time you want to get in it locked up. It thinks the fob is not near the car.
Works every time now. Good thing was I was unknowingly putting the fob to sleep. I now have gone through all 4 Mercedes fobs we own and put them to sleep as well. Great Find!
S_W222 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 04:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S550
This works for me only sometimes. Most times it looks like I'm just kicking the **** out of my car and noting is happening. lol
Old 03-20-2023, 04:19 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by Maallen40
This works for me only sometimes. Most times it looks like I'm just kicking the **** out of my car and noting is happening. lol
I hope you mean this. LOL

Jim's smirk in video is also interesting.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S550
lol....Damn, for years I've been kicking the **** out of my bumper, .hahah I just went outside and tried it. It works. Thanks haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S Class tips & tricks