S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S Class v.s. Bentley Mulsanne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 04:50 PM

Received 154 Likes on 98 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
In the arms race of advanced features, I think small volume companies like Bentley are at a real disadvantage. They make a beautifully crafted product, but can't hope to keep up with the Germans on features and technology, is how I see it.
Wait a minute, aren't Bentley owned by Volkswagen?

But I have to agree, massaging seats, and dynamic seat hugs were on my must have list. Heated steering wheel was on the nice to have, I live in GA, but you'd be surprised how often I used it in my 2018 Jeep, but I didn't get one this time around. Although the previous owner did get heated rear seats!
Old 04-29-2022, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Yeah, it's funny, we get very little cold weather here but when we do, the "warmth & comfort" features are so nice! Start to warm you up almost immediately, while you're waiting for hot air from the ducts.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 186 Likes on 168 Posts
MERCEDES AMG GT, MERCEDES CLS63 AMG, MERCEDES G63 AMG, MERCEDES CL63 AMG
The S class does seem to have more tech and gizmos but the Bentley gives more road presence and definitely more bragging rights! Hahaha
The following 2 users liked this post by AR_motorwerkz:
BenzV12 (04-30-2022), will_atl (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 432 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by AR_motorwerkz
The S class does seem to have more tech and gizmos but the Bentley gives more road presence and definitely more bragging rights! Hahaha
Exactly my thoughts
The following users liked this post:
AR_motorwerkz (05-02-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 04:21 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by AR_motorwerkz
It matters what you care about though. A Benltey and a Rolls will turn more eyes, that's for sure, even though a W222 isn't exactly going unnoticeable. But do you care about impressing other people more than having a safe & comfortable ride?
Old 05-02-2022, 06:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by RAV
...the closest Bentley dealership is four hours away....

You really don't care how far away the dealership is. If you are a new Bentley owner your car will be picked up and delivered on a flatbed. A loaner will be provided if requested. If you are a new MB owner they will drop off a loaner and drive your car to the dealership. MB customer care is fine. Bentley customer care is in another league. Part of the 50 to 100% cost difference...

RAV
Where the hell do you live that Benz delivers you a loaner? Lol I live in Miami where exotic cars sell like hot potatoes and all they had left was a C Class for me at the dealership (which I was lucky that it was there and there were any left at all) and I drive a Maybach.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:52 PM

S560
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
Interesting discussion, wife and I have talked about what kind of car would be an upgrade to our S-class? I know the sales manager at the local AM/Rolls/Bentley place and we've stopped in a couple times to look over Bentleys. But only recently did I look in detail at the specs and found that a Flying Spur does not have seat massage or heated armrests/steering wheel. These are a couple of my wife's favorite things on the S.

In the arms race of advanced features, I think small volume companies like Bentley are at a real disadvantage. They make a beautifully crafted product, but can't hope to keep up with the Germans on features and technology, is how I see it.
But Flying Spurs do have massage seats though. I literally sat in one that had it. Dunno about the heated armrests I didn’t check it out as it was daytime and 85 degrees outside.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:08 PM

S560
Originally Posted by docsout
Does the Mulsanne have the same safety features, same luxury features of the S Class? How does one get an objective comparison between the two. I understand the 'attention draw' of the Mulsanne and the super fluff carpets/mats but, beyond that, how do they compare? How do they compare in things going wrong either in warranty or beyond?
Most people here drove these cars 30 years ago. Let me give you a current comparison, which I honestly don’t think you’re going to buy it because you would’ve test driven them by now as well as a RR, but I’ll inform for the sake of informing.

Do keep in mind I drive the s—t out of my cars. I’ve had an S450, S560, and now a Maybach. I’ve also test driven the brand new Flying Spur with the 21” rims with the comfort driving package m (not the 22” with the Mulliner sporty package). I haven’t driven a Mulsanne cause the tech is crusty and dated, but everyone has confirmed to me the Mulsanne is more akin to a RR Ghost than a Flying Spur.

The Spur is superior to the S560. Period. Better comfort, less interior rattle over bad roads, better build quality without the creaking interior and hollow doors, insulation’s about the same. It’s much faster too unless you get an AMG. Compared to the Maybach, comfort’s comparable if not better in the Bach by a bit, Bach’s more insulated, both the 560 and Bach have way better interior space as the Spur is actually sorta cramped for its long size. It’s really short inside as far as headroom and legroom in the back. Mulsanne is more comparable to the Maybach, might be more insulated not sure I haven’t tested it.

Know what’s better than all these cars? The brand new W223 S580 or W223 Maybach lol. If you don’t like the iPads then stick to Bentley for quality and comfort if you don’t like the Maybach.

If you’re OK with iPads get that. If you want ultimate luxury and build quality get a RR it’s also quieter and smoother than the new W223s. If you’re gonna listen to everyone’s opinion here get a Benz lol
Old 05-02-2022, 07:12 PM

Received 154 Likes on 98 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
Originally Posted by KingdomCometh
Where the hell do you live that Benz delivers you a loaner? Lol I live in Miami where exotic cars sell like hot potatoes and all they had left was a C Class for me at the dealership (which I was lucky that it was there and there were any left at all) and I drive a Maybach.
I’m right with you there, I dropped mine at the dealership this morning and I’m sitting in a GLC300 waiting to pick up my son. Every loaner my dealer has, and has had for the last few years is a A, B or C Class derivative of some kind. Years ago they had the odd E class too, but no more.

I didn’t buy from them, I just service there so I go with it, but my wife gets p!$$ed when she drops off her GLS and gets a GLA!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:42 PM

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Since they can be somewhat close in selling price depending on the options list I would suggest thinking about the areas you intend to drive and park the vehicle in. A super loaded S-Class or Maybach still, in my opinion and many others, looks like any other Mercedes sedan A thru S-class. This can be a good thing when you may be concerned about security as they hardly draw any attention and blend-in. I truly believe this is a design feature.

The Rolls and Bentley's in my opinion say "look at me now" and for good reason. They are beautiful works of art inside & out. Depending on your travels that may or may not be so good. Again just something to consider about police & security presence, amount of other Rolls, Bentleys & Super Cars present and availability of gated businesses, restaurants and communities. Maybe you have that already worked out
Old 05-02-2022, 09:45 PM

S560
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
Since they can be somewhat close in selling price depending on the options list I would suggest thinking about the areas you intend to drive and park the vehicle in. A super loaded S-Class or Maybach still, in my opinion and many others, looks like any other Mercedes sedan A thru S-class. This can be a good thing when you may be concerned about security as they hardly draw any attention and blend-in. I truly believe this is a design feature.

The Rolls and Bentley's in my opinion say "look at me now" and for good reason. They are beautiful works of art inside & out. Depending on your travels that may or may not be so good. Again just something to consider about police & security presence, amount of other Rolls, Bentleys & Super Cars present and availability of gated businesses, restaurants and communities. Maybe you have that already worked out
You ever parked a Maybach anywhere? My black one with the razor blade rims and all its chrome literally screams “look at me”. This gets as much attention as any Rolls. And I live in Miami where seeing these cars isn’t as abnormal lol.

Not to mention the new Maybach features the light-up Maybach badges on the C Pillars to really blend in with the common folk.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Lots of good info in these posts, thanks. Wife and I aren't "bling people", but can't deny admiring the beauty and workmanship of the Bentley. Hard part for us would be losing functionality we now enjoy in our S-class. It's hard to see a car being almost twice as expensive but not having equivalent tech and features.
The following users liked this post:
BenzV12 (05-04-2022)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
AMEN ! I've owned both and now use my S560 as my go-to cruiser.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
$8,000 oil changes? I had a 1999 F355 and the oils change was sub $800 at a local Euro shop. F cars are not cheap but $8,000? Idk about that. Maybe a Bugatti?
Old 09-06-2023, 09:03 PM

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by docsout
#1- RAV, thank you for the personal feed back based on your experience with both Bentley and MB. Much appreciated.
#2- reference maintenance, the closest Bentley dealership is 4 hour away so, yes my question of maintenance was based on time to go and come as well as time for tech attention. Not based on money. I am fully aware of costs involved in such a piece of equipment.
#3-so, out of 10-11 replys to a simple question of objective comparison between the two marques, Only Wolf and RAV answer the question.
Doc - you have been a member long enough to know that a huge number of replies are posted here are opinions, rather than supported by facts. It seems to be the nature of the beast, and I don't see it changing.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,553 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
Doc - you have been a member long enough to know that a huge number of replies are posted here are opinions, rather than supported by facts. It seems to be the nature of the beast, and I don't see it changing.
You've been here long enough to check the date on stuff you're replying to lol
Old 09-07-2023, 12:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by SW20S
You've been here long enough to check the date on stuff you're replying to lol
Laughing louder - and just how does that negate my post, smart a--?
Old 09-07-2023, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,553 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
Laughing louder - and just how does that negate my post, smart a--?
lol, lighten up.