S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Does this front license plate holder look bad? Would you just drill holes instead?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018 | 02:34 PM

2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
i think the plate looks great the way it is and i'm not sure if i'd bother with a frame.
Old 04-10-2018 | 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
My 2017 S63 came with the front plate installed at the port. If it wasn't installed, I would leave it off. Its a fix it ticket that you can get it signed off by a peace officer by putting it inside of the windshield on the passenger side.
Old 04-10-2018 | 05:32 PM

18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Thx, but not where I live... they will ticket you for not having it every day if they like! There's no fix it ticket option here. I don't want the paranoia that comes behind all that stress of wondering when I'll get the next ticket, so it's on there now. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. It's done. On to the next slight drama... that will be in a new post at some point. My .... leather and microfiber steering wheel. Yeah, that's not going to be on there for long if I can help it. I'm allergic in the hands... to microfiber. I know, crazy. I called a bunch of leather places but no one can do what I need to have done which means I have to buy a new steering wheel with ALL LEATHER. The shops I spoke with do leather over the ENTIRE WHEEL, even over the AMG metal logo part at the bottom. Ummm, no. That would look HORRIBLE. Where I touch the car, the steering wheel, there can't be that microfiber fabric. I LOVE MY CAR, but not the microfiber on this steering wheel due too an allergy to it on my hands. Cost be damned, I will have to get a new one. Wonder what I can get for a slightly used, 1100 mile, not abused, steering wheel off a new S63?!
Old 04-10-2018 | 05:49 PM

2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Can you have some artisan sew leather over the suede?
Old 04-10-2018 | 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by garygnu
Can you have some artisan sew leather over the suede?
Nope, I was told it's not possible, at least by the BEST SHOP in my town (Adler Mandel, Rockville MD). They sent me a picture of leather they did on a steering wheel anyway and it looked like total crap! It was on a Ford. Ughhhhh... They thought there was a place in California that may still do this but during the recession "most of these shops closed". I have no idea what they are alluding to really.

They also said that if they put leather JUST over the suede part, it would slip off eventually so it would have to go over the whole wheel, which looks awful. I wanted something that looks JUST LIKE factory. I'm guessing it's simply not possible. A new steering wheel is $2100 from my dealer in the suede like I have now. They said I need to find one for sale and give them the VIN # where it's an all leather wheel AND the heated wheel as it has to match EXACTLY to what I have now, minus the suede part. I'm still trying to find a VIN for that . I called some dealers and they don't even have one like this.
Old 04-10-2018 | 08:05 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by stever500
Thx, but not where I live... they will ticket you for not having it every day if they like! There's no fix it ticket option here. I don't want the paranoia that comes behind all that stress of wondering when I'll get the next ticket, so it's on there now. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. It's done. On to the next slight drama... that will be in a new post at some point. My .... leather and microfiber steering wheel. Yeah, that's not going to be on there for long if I can help it. I'm allergic in the hands... to microfiber. I know, crazy. I called a bunch of leather places but no one can do what I need to have done which means I have to buy a new steering wheel with ALL LEATHER. The shops I spoke with do leather over the ENTIRE WHEEL, even over the AMG metal logo part at the bottom. Ummm, no. That would look HORRIBLE. Where I touch the car, the steering wheel, there can't be that microfiber fabric. I LOVE MY CAR, but not the microfiber on this steering wheel due too an allergy to it on my hands. Cost be damned, I will have to get a new one. Wonder what I can get for a slightly used, 1100 mile, not abused, steering wheel off a new S63?!
Why would you buy a $188,000 car that you are allergic to?
Old 04-10-2018 | 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Socalsteve

Why would you buy a $188,000 car that you are allergic to?
Yes, that would be a very good question. I guess I should rephrase it to say I have a dislike to holding microfiber on my hands all day while driving vs. the smoothness and softness of real leather. It's not an actual allergy... but it ends up feeling uncomfortable and itchy to me after driving. I of course didn't know this or think of this when buying the car, since so many S63's had it as well as E63's so I figured it must be most excellent and the latest rage. Not for me. It's OK, I'll work on a solution, even if it's a long time coming. I can still drive it and enjoy it, it's just not the greatest feeling on my hands like luscious leather is. Are others loving this microfiber/ultra suede if you have it on your steering wheels? I find it to be weird.
Old 04-10-2018 | 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Yes, that would be a very good question. I guess I should rephrase it to say I have a dislike to holding microfiber on my hands all day while driving vs. the smoothness and softness of real leather. It's not an actual allergy... but it ends up feeling uncomfortable and itchy to me after driving. I of course didn't know this or think of this when buying the car, since so many S63's had it as well as E63's so I figured it must be most excellent and the latest rage. Not for me. It's OK, I'll work on a solution, even if it's a long time coming. I can still drive it and enjoy it, it's just not the greatest feeling on my hands like luscious leather is. Are others loving this microfiber/ultra suede if you have it on your steering wheels? I find it to be weird.
I don't have this problem, but can image someone who doesn't like the feel of the micofiber part of the steering wheel.

Solution. There are allot of W222 steering wheels on ebay that is all leather with no microfiber on it and you can:

1: If your handy with cars, it is not that hard of swap with your current steering wheel. There are a few videos that shows diy. OR
2: Buy the steering wheel you want for the W222 and have an indy shop or dealer to do the swap.

3: Wear driving gloves. The S63 with its power can be hard to handle when you let it.
Old 04-10-2018 | 11:56 PM

Thanks. Yes, I can't use a wheel unless... it's from an S63 with heated steering as an option or it will "throw codes" they tell me and also, I'd want it to say AMG like mine does. I'll keep looking for one that has a VIN # so my dealer can price it out for me and then I'll know what to do. Do you think I could sell my wheel on Ebay or a forum like this or is it a unicorn and no one would want/need it?
Old 04-11-2018 | 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Think $2-3k for a replacement steering wheel. Has to be a MY18 AMG wheel. Re. the ultrasuede steering wheel, they are rather common in sports cars as they provide a better grip...
Old 04-11-2018 | 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
I live in NY and FL. In FL we are a 1 plate state so no issues there. However, NY like Maryland is a 2 plate state. I have never put a front license plate on my NY cars and have never had a issue so I personally would not even worry about it unless someone said something to you already.
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. Yes, I can't use a wheel unless... it's from an S63 with heated steering as an option or it will "throw codes" they tell me and also, I'd want it to say AMG like mine does. I'll keep looking for one that has a VIN # so my dealer can price it out for me and then I'll know what to do. Do you think I could sell my wheel on Ebay or a forum like this or is it a unicorn and no one would want/need it?

You might want to ask your dealer if a 2016 or 2017 S63 steering wheel will fit your 2018 S63. If it can be used, you have more steering wheel options, if not and your car will only fit 2018 model S63 steering wheel, then you might be out of luck. By all means, you can most list the steering wheel on ebay and this forum.
Old 04-11-2018 | 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by S63AMG888

You might want to ask your dealer if a 2016 or 2017 S63 steering wheel will fit your 2018 S63. If it can be used, you have more steering wheel options, if not and your car will only fit 2018 model S63 steering wheel, then you might be out of luck. By all means, you can most list the steering wheel on ebay and this forum.
Thanks. I finally heard back from the dealer today and yes, it would have to be a 2018 S63 heated steering wheel. I found a VIN # from a car on Autotrader (below is a really bad quality picture of one) and they said it would be $2200, my price (MSRP is like $2368) and there's only 1 in the entire US in a warehouse in NJ and not even any in Germany from what the parts dept tells me. They'll charge $270 in take off and install the new one. Maybe... I could sell the one I have for like... $1800. I really don't know. It would cost $2100 to buy one. I believe it would have to be a person that wrecked their car and wanted to replace the steering wheel. Not sure who would buy one or need one. Will have to think about this. How bad do I want it... that's the question. Pretty badly, but I'm still not ready to pull the trigger.
Old 04-12-2018 | 12:00 AM

Update! I got the new black license plate frame. Looks great on the car. I know what you're thinking... "um, it's just a license plate frame, big deal". That's OK. Here's pics! And I called Massachusetts EZ Pass and they said I could send them the ugly black EZ Pass thing back and they'll send me the small white one and I can try it on the windshield on this new car and see if it actually works this time (it didn't on my 2012 regardless where I put it). They also said "yeah, so, even if you don't have the EZ Pass on your car at all, we bill the license plate so you actually don't even need to have it anymore unless they change the rules back to you actually needing it".

What? I'm not sure I trust that but... it was interesting to hear. So for now, the ugly EZ is still on the car but it's going away SOON. Impressive quality....https://ffgarage.com/collections/lic...se-plate-frame

and on the 911, I got their silver colored plate frame

And got some new pics in the neighborhood as well today...

The following users liked this post:
rockykhan (09-21-2024)
Old 07-06-2018 | 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Jason B
Any details on that bracket Jason??