S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Change Distronic time to restart after coming to stop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
Change Distronic time to restart after coming to stop?

On my 2015 S550 if I'm using Distronic in stop and go traffic, if you stop for more than a few seconds it won't restart with tapping accelerator or pulling the cruise control stalk. I know this is expected behavior but who has stop and go traffic where you only stop that short of time?? Not me. I don't really get why they set such a short limit on this. What's the importance of having this be limited to such a short timeout?

Has anyone found a way to extend this (not counting buying a newer model which I hear have extended this some)? Pretty sure there is no user setting for it but with all the hacks out there to disable the eco mode, enable video playback while driving,... is there nothing that will push this to more like 15-20 seconds? As it is maybe 1 out of 20 times I don't have to manually intercede to have Distronic keep going.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
I don't have an answer to your question, but I have distronic too and I understand your frustration. It seems like Mercedes received enough complaints because on the 2018 models the distronic will work without intervention if the car is stopped for up to 30 seconds (I think it's 30 sec, might be longer).
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
Yeah exactly. Makes more sense to me for it to be much longer than a few seconds. Who's stop and go moves like that?

Frankly I see no reason for even 30 seconds. What's going to change? I would understand the concern that someone gets out of the car while waiting in traffic to swap drivers or something like that. You don't want the car pulling away driverless in the middle of the swap. But I'd think Distronic would be cancelled and the car set back to Park the moment any door was opened. I just don't get why they did this at all.

Is there some safety concern I'm missing here?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
My guess would be if you are at a stop light with one car in front of you and that car chose to go before the light actually changes, your car would then follow that car causing you to potentially get into an accident, or get a ticket. Same applies with stop signs
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by XboxMeister
On my 2015 S550 if I'm using Distronic in stop and go traffic, if you stop for more than a few seconds it won't restart with tapping accelerator or pulling the cruise control stalk. I know this is expected behavior but who has stop and go traffic where you only stop that short of time?? Not me. I don't really get why they set such a short limit on this. What's the importance of having this be limited to such a short timeout?

Has anyone found a way to extend this (not counting buying a newer model which I hear have extended this some)? Pretty sure there is no user setting for it but with all the hacks out there to disable the eco mode, enable video playback while driving,... is there nothing that will push this to more like 15-20 seconds? As it is maybe 1 out of 20 times I don't have to manually intercede to have Distronic keep going.
I share your frustration and this is a great question.