S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

What do you think of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
The EU charges a 10% tariff to import US cars. America charges a 2.5% tariff on autos and 25% on trucks and commercial vans. I would like to see the negotiations where we demand they lower their tariffs on cars while maintaining our 25% tariffs on trucks and vans is 'justified'.
If the EU lowered their tariffs to the same level as the US (from 10% to 2.5%) I doubt it would have any effect on EU buying our cars. They don't like the cars we build here. Heck, even the US doesn't like our cars, Ford is discontinuing most of their sedans. We like big cars, SUVs and trucks.

Personally, I don't have a real beef with US cars. Whenever I rent one I always think "Hey, this is a pretty nice car". I just wanted something a nicer than what the US offers now.
The following users liked this post:
syswei (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by grossmsj
The EU charges a 10% tariff to import US cars. America charges a 2.5% tariff on autos and 25% on trucks and commercial vans. I would like to see the negotiations where we demand they lower their tariffs on cars while maintaining our 25% tariffs on trucks and vans is 'justified'.
If the EU lowered their tariffs to the same level as the US (from 10% to 2.5%) I doubt it would have any effect on EU buying our cars. They don't like the cars we build here. Heck, even the US doesn't like our cars, Ford is discontinuing most of their sedans. We like big cars, SUVs and trucks.

Personally, I don't have a real beef with US cars. Whenever I rent one I always think "Hey, this is a pretty nice car". I just wanted something a nicer than what the US offers now.
Totally agree. And you probably realize, though many don't, that the 25% truck category includes SUVs.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Makes you wonder how many MB dealerships would close down. Or would they just push more American made cars to make up for the loss??? Of any average dealership, just what percentage of their cars are imported from over the big pond? I know my dealership in Alabama (Nick Saban's dealership) , they have 600 cars on the lot at any given time but seems they are 80% cars built in Vance, AL and only 20% of German made cars. I only saw 4 S classes there the other day, maybe 4 SLs, and a Maybach.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
On the subject of American car quality, things have improved over the years but I hate to say they still don't compare well to German/Japanese cars. I had my Boxster in for routine maintenance a few years ago and the dealer rented me a Chrysler 300. I have to say I was quite impressed with it. Quality seemed good and the level of tech/features was very high. I ended up getting a new 2014 300S for my wife a few months later and unfortunately it was nothing but headaches. For the price it was a very well outfitted car but within a year the dash was squeaking and rattling, the heat/AC system had gremlins they could never fix (blowing cold air on cold days with heat at max, blowing super hot air with AC on on warm days, all randomly) and on and on. They even did a recall for the steering wheel squeaking when turned. Our car didn't have the symptom but we had them preemptively do the fix. After that the steering wheel DID squeak when turned. Even after several attempts they never got rid of it completely. What bugged me most was they gave it back to us after doing the "fix" and it was squeaking at that very moment. Do they not even check their work?!? And even the dealer service experience was terrible. The waiting area was dirty, smelly and old. Felt like I was in a garage from the 1940s. I bought an Acura in the 90s and their service area even then (20 yrs earlier) was clean and organized. How American brands can't learn some basic lessons about quality and customer experience is beyond me.

To be fair I am sure there are good US cars/dealers and not so good Japanese/German cars/dealers but on average it seems like US brands are still behind (despite some clear recent improvements by some). My experiences in both shopping for and buying many cars over the years certainly support that view.