W222 Moisture in Head Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by tcristi
I wanted to join the discussion and provide my experience thus far. I've been following this thread for a long time and recently had a bulb go out on my 2015 S550. I'll keep the details short, but as you guessed it the silica packet burst on the driver's side light knocking out one bulb, auto high-beams, and dynamic lighting. I pulled the module behind the headlight and took pictures of the crusty module and exploded packets then sent the car to my local MB dealer. Dealer quoted me $4000 to replace the entire assembly even though I told my rep the TSB they did 4 years ago destroyed the module. He was great, but said he really can't do anything, and I should contact MB corporate to see if they can chime in. After months of back and forth they only offered me 20% off the headlight assembly and that was the best they can do.

I decided to do some research and found the module on eBay from a trusted seller in the US for $58. I ordered it on Monday, it arrived today, and I decided to install it even though it's 17 degrees outside. Everything is working again as it should with no errors!

For those of you who have a blown light or module, replace just the module and do not let MB tell you otherwise. It's their design flaw that caused the condensation and their fix is a band aid that will destroy the module. They won't own up to it and make matters worse by recommending a $4000 headlight replacement. I'm still unsure if I should put the packets back in, but I guess I'll see how bad the condensation is before I make my decision.

Link to the module below:
New Headlight LED Ballast Voltage Regulator Module for Mercedes # A2228700789 | eBay
DO NOT PUT THEM BACK IN !!!! DEALER TRIDE TO BLAME ME FOR DAMAGE, IT WAS THE EXPLODING PACKETS!!! They did not last a year. Replaced Headlights 2 times. They told me the new headlights they put is will not need them, 1 year later, same problem, guess what, they put them in and basically lied to me. They replaced the units, no solution from MB headquarters, I had them silicone the electronics. If you take a close look at the design, when the Gel Pack explodes, it will run right down the light and into the Controller.
Don't do it.....
Old 02-05-2023, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
@Nice Ride @MBNUT1 @tcristi @sclass350d I didn't grab all the posters in this thread, just the recent ones.

Anyone interested in trying a class action?

Anyone know this person - https://w222sclass.blogspot.com/2019...ight.html?lr=1
Old 02-05-2023, 04:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
W222 Sclass
Originally Posted by kafklatsch
Can please Explain the non removal of headlight gel pack replacement process... i want to look into this.

Regards
Kevin
apologies about the delay i posted the instructions to replace both headlight gel packs without removing the bumper or headlights on this thread some time back.... here a link

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/737207-w222-moisture-head-lights-4.html#post8220075

Last edited by sclass350d; 02-05-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:30 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
W222 Sclass
Originally Posted by NF204
@Nice Ride @MBNUT1 @tcristi @sclass350d I didn't grab all the posters in this thread, just the recent ones.

Hi there, this is me. I created this blog site to share share with my local mercedes UK dealership, mercedes UK and mercedes sindlefingen.

But i go no where with any if them, standard reply please take matter up you local mb dealership. Which I did many times, on one occasion leaving the car with them for 3 weeks.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by NF204

Interested. 4 Lights later and a worse solution than the original problem. DO NOT INSTALL GEL PACKS
Old 02-05-2023, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
It seems the best course is to live with the moisture. There is no proven remedy yet. I do see a little condensation from time to time, but perhaps my climate is less conducive to the moisture issue.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:38 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Is the headlight moisture problem confined to the W222 or does it affect other models as well?
Old 02-06-2023, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes S550
As you and sclass350 had done, I think I might put a bead of silicone on the inside seam of the module. I'm not planning on putting the silica packets back in and want to protect the electronics at the very least. I find it odd there is no gasket or protection in the casing of the module.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:07 PM

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Originally Posted by cfmistry
It seems the best course is to live with the moisture. There is no proven remedy yet. I do see a little condensation from time to time, but perhaps my climate is less conducive to the moisture issue.
I have considered using a substance ( ElectriCorr VpCl-286 ? or even potting resin) to incase the inside circuitry To make it waterproof.
but there are other substances that literally incase the circuit and is several mils thick... i dont know it off hand,

Also, One could use a known flexible rubber coating (commercial quality) on the plug and socket itself. A mess to remove, but maybe you never have to.

Of course this does not fix the unsightly water drops on the lens.....

Last edited by kafklatsch; 02-07-2023 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 S63
For what it’s worth my 2018 S63L used to get moisture inside the headlights. Pretty soon after aquiring it I PPF’d the whole car including the headlights. From that point forward no moisture ever inside the headlights. The only thing I can put it down to is perhaps the xpel sitting on top of the headlights changes how quickly the temperature changes transfer thru to the inside of the headlight. Anyway, no more moisture for me. 🤩
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:35 AM

S63
Originally Posted by HeadNZ
For what it’s worth my 2018 S63L used to get moisture inside the headlights. Pretty soon after aquiring it I PPF’d the whole car including the headlights. From that point forward no moisture ever inside the headlights. The only thing I can put it down to is perhaps the xpel sitting on top of the headlights changes how quickly the temperature changes transfer thru to the inside of the headlight. Anyway, no more moisture for me. 🤩
I had Xpel on my prior headlights and my replacement headlights - did not stop the issue for me.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:37 AM
GKH

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC300(C253)
Modification

Hi.

Back again to headlight condensation. What I did:

1. Fabricating 4 plugs(21.5x15.5 mm/tick abt 8 mm) by using gun for hot glue with inserted plastic pipe/connector. These will be later inserted in the drain like ends of the lower part of the headlights.

2. Removed the plastic liners under the front fenders ensuring access to backside of the headlights.

3. Inserting plugs by gluing them with epoxy compound(part A+B).

4. Attaching small hoses with dia appx 4 mm to the plugs and tracing them to the area where are the hinges of bonnet.

5. Attaching to the end of that hoses Denko-Nitto filter elements

6. Performing pressure test by connecting manual pump(from blood pressure device) and soap water where plugs were glued to headlights. Just by 2-3 pumps and if there was a problem with epoxy, the bubbles would be seen.
Molding the plugs

Fabricated plug

Hot glue gun

Inserted plug

Attached hoses

Manual pump

Soap pressure test

Tracing hoses 1

Tracing hoses 2

Tracing hoses

End part of hoses with Denko-Nitto filters installed

By this simple modification I hope, that the drain like ends of the lower part of headlight will suck the relatively not so hot air from the area between the rear front fender and plastic liner and not directly the hot and humid air circulating in engine bay. On other side I have some doubts, that these rectangular drain like ends of the headlights are giving direct access to the internal space of the headlight assembly without any filtering.

I have installed above on 22 April 2023 and till now I have not experienced any condensation during rain(5-6 times) simultaneously with rapid drop of temps(during rain I monitor temperature and usually it comes from 24 to 12 degrees C) and carwashes, despite that I tried to provoke conditions to obtain condensation(pouring direct cold water under pressure), except one time.

It was during very heavy rain and dropping the temps from 24 to abt 14 degrees C. The driving period was about 25 mins. When I cleared the rain patches I checked and found very minor and thin spot of condensate of the right headlight, which was cleared literally in 2-3 mins. Approximate size of that patch was abt 1,5x2,0 cm but what was interesting for me, that it was almost in the middle of the lens(not in lower end). Basis on my previous experience with this car (since 18.Oct.2018) condensation sometimes in very heavy extent was observed even during not so harsh conditions.

Hoping that all above will keep this unpleasant issue under control, as I am sure that it could not be avoided, but at least my point is to reduce it to the extent not posing a risks. Will keep You posted( if I still keep the car).
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (06-14-2023)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:55 PM

S63 AMG
Hi everyone. I literally read everyone's post. I too am having the same issue. I have a 2015 S63 that I've had from day one. I've had my lights replaced 6x. I know I am a fool. I've gotten attached to this car and I just can't understand for the life of me how a car with 80k miles on it, I can't even drive it without the lights and modules going out. So can we all come to some type of consensus that the fix is to. Cause these technicians down here in Mississippi is confused and they are sick of me at the MB dealership.
1) Remove the Gel Packs
2) Silicone the modules

I think I can deal with the moisture in the light if I can just not have the modules going out.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:07 PM

E220d Premium Plus
Originally Posted by wmelton1
Hi everyone. I literally read everyone's post. I too am having the same issue. I have a 2015 S63 that I've had from day one. I've had my lights replaced 6x. I know I am a fool. I've gotten attached to this car and I just can't understand for the life of me how a car with 80k miles on it, I can't even drive it without the lights and modules going out. So can we all come to some type of consensus that the fix is to. Cause these technicians down here in Mississippi is confused and they are sick of me at the MB dealership.
1) Remove the Gel Packs
2) Silicone the modules

I think I can deal with the moisture in the light if I can just not have the modules going out.
deffo remove their gel packs as they soak up the water very easily. In my w213 I am changing the silicon gel packs every month as it’s easy to get to. They still steam up but at least I know they won’t blow the light and module!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by GKH
Hi.

Back again to headlight condensation. What I did:

1. Fabricating 4 plugs(21.5x15.5 mm/tick abt 8 mm) by using gun for hot glue with inserted plastic pipe/connector. These will be later inserted in the drain like ends of the lower part of the headlights.

2. Removed the plastic liners under the front fenders ensuring access to backside of the headlights.

3. Inserting plugs by gluing them with epoxy compound(part A+B).

4. Attaching small hoses with dia appx 4 mm to the plugs and tracing them to the area where are the hinges of bonnet.

5. Attaching to the end of that hoses Denko-Nitto filter elements

6. Performing pressure test by connecting manual pump(from blood pressure device) and soap water where plugs were glued to headlights. Just by 2-3 pumps and if there was a problem with epoxy, the bubbles would be seen.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fc8b164470.jpg
Molding the plugs
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...57950639e5.jpg
Fabricated plug
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9513af63a6.jpg
Hot glue gun
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b75a503d27.jpg
Inserted plug
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...50dbf6f117.jpg
Attached hoses
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4054883376.jpg
Manual pump
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...00f534a258.jpg
Soap pressure test
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4ec7b6e562.jpg
Tracing hoses 1
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...665fc95f39.jpg
Tracing hoses 2
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c38449abee.jpg
Tracing hoses
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3de1d60d12.jpg
End part of hoses with Denko-Nitto filters installed

By this simple modification I hope, that the drain like ends of the lower part of headlight will suck the relatively not so hot air from the area between the rear front fender and plastic liner and not directly the hot and humid air circulating in engine bay. On other side I have some doubts, that these rectangular drain like ends of the headlights are giving direct access to the internal space of the headlight assembly without any filtering.

I have installed above on 22 April 2023 and till now I have not experienced any condensation during rain(5-6 times) simultaneously with rapid drop of temps(during rain I monitor temperature and usually it comes from 24 to 12 degrees C) and carwashes, despite that I tried to provoke conditions to obtain condensation(pouring direct cold water under pressure), except one time.

It was during very heavy rain and dropping the temps from 24 to abt 14 degrees C. The driving period was about 25 mins. When I cleared the rain patches I checked and found very minor and thin spot of condensate of the right headlight, which was cleared literally in 2-3 mins. Approximate size of that patch was abt 1,5x2,0 cm but what was interesting for me, that it was almost in the middle of the lens(not in lower end). Basis on my previous experience with this car (since 18.Oct.2018) condensation sometimes in very heavy extent was observed even during not so harsh conditions.

Hoping that all above will keep this unpleasant issue under control, as I am sure that it could not be avoided, but at least my point is to reduce it to the extent not posing a risks. Will keep You posted( if I still keep the car).
That is quite a process, hopefully it solves it for good.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:28 AM
VII

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Guys you can just seal the vents, there is not enough heat to need the vents. You can use something like silicone tape and only with a sealed headlight install diseccant pack.
Silicone on the module sounds like a good simple failsafe.

But yes definetly do not use silica packs on a vented headlight as you cannot dry the world.

​​​​​
Old 03-28-2024, 07:00 AM

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by VII
Guys you can just seal the vents, there is not enough heat to need the vents. You can use something like silicone tape and only with a sealed headlight install diseccant pack.

But yes definetly do not use silica packs on a vented headlight as you cannot dry the world.

​​​​​
have to take the headlight out to seal?
Old 03-28-2024, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by VII

​​​​​
That sounds like a good idea : ) maybe other than those packs, I heard they dissolve after a few years (MB dealerships putting those in the headlights to mitigate the issue) and then leak and damage the control module but I think that is because of excessive moisture for those not sealed headlights.