Headlight message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
W222 s550 , BMW 535i 15’
Question

Originally Posted by Tirgoman
Your post says "new" so why didn't you go to the dealer under warranty. Maybe you meant new to you?
Who’s post says “new”?
mines a 2015. The thread is for the new w222 class

Anyway I think I have the duuuuh answer to why my lights shorted out. High water pressure hose hitting the headlight at direct angle. There’s residual water by the plug. I wonder if this may have blown a fuse somewhere that can easily be replaced. Right now my low and high beams are both not working, just my led tracks and signal works

Last edited by mecca281; 06-02-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
W222 s550 , BMW 535i 15’

Originally Posted by 1bad540
Its not a blower, its a moisture bag....thats not designed to be there. Once its filled the water builds up and shorts out the ballast. Thats what happened to yours. You should tell them its benzs prblm. Its a known issue.
You are absolutely correct about this. The issue was the desiccant bags which MERCEDES installs as a “bandaid solution” when customers complain that their $100k vehicle has moisture in the headlights! After a number of washes, The bags ruptured and left a lot of oil and water in my ballast which shorted it out. Thankfully I am handy and was able to order and replace the part myself on my drivers side, but I’m not able to reach the bag on my passenger side!!!!
I have attached some pics of the repair. As you can see there is a lot of water and Oil from the ruptured desiccant bags. There is also a line from where the oil was sitting in the ballast for a long time.

Mercedes needs to own up to this issue and call customers in for free removal of these desiccant bags. these headlight cost as much as a whole used vehicle!!
The following 2 users liked this post by mecca281:
Nice Ride (07-08-2020), Phillyfinest (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
It may not the most sensible way to solve this moisture issue and I have just thought something that's definitely low tech solution but could work in such situations : Water repellent sprays I have not tried them on my shoes but I have seen such bottles roughly size of a two stacked Coca Cola tin box .It says it will build up a barrier against water,rain drops .So, if it works on shoes then why not on headlamps ? This gives me thinking .
I agree , Mercedes-Benz needs to address this issue that's not acceptable regardless
The following users liked this post:
Phillyfinest (07-15-2019)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 s550 4matic
Originally Posted by BenzV12
It may not the most sensible way to solve this moisture issue and I have just thought something that's definitely low tech solution but could work in such situations : Water repellent sprays I have not tried them on my shoes but I have seen such bottles roughly size of a two stacked Coca Cola tin box .It says it will build up a barrier against water,rain drops .So, if it works on shoes then why not on headlamps ? This gives me thinking .
I agree , Mercedes-Benz needs to address this issue that's not acceptable regardless
i have a 2015 s550 4matic and I'm currently experiencing this issue. The mechanic thought it was a ballast issue since it was filled with water and corrosion. Purchased a new ballast still lights the full was negatively infected/affected by the water. I'm in the process of purchasing a headlight from Ebay at a 1000 and this doesn't include labor cost. I contacted Mercedes and they pretend that they never heard of this issue. Any suggestions on how we could hold Mercedes accountable for this because clearly this is a manufacturer defect and not a individual dealer issue
Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S500 4matic L
Originally Posted by Trappers101
Have you tried unplugging the headlight, waiting 10 minutes and then plugging it back in yet? That might be all it needs. Push the lock on the clip forward (or back can't remember which) to release it and then pull the plug straight out.
Hi
I do assume you have done that o your car. I have assume only the main battery been disconnected during this unplug period. Once you reconncte did you have any messages on dashboards I refer to lights. I was about to take off headlights from the car but the local MB serwis wasn't very helfull to define do I will required to coded them to the car again after reinstatement. Thanks in advance.

zender
Old 07-05-2020, 12:34 PM

2015 s550 4matic
Headlight message

I now know that the moisture that settled in the headlight corroded the ballast and subsequently affect the full headlight assembly. As I stated previously I was compelled/ forced to purchase a new/second-hand light. Since having the replacement light installed it's working as it should, however the mechanic advised me to conduct routine check ups to ensure that this problem doesn't progress to the need for another headlight purchase. According to my mechanic there's an absorption type cloth that's in the light to reduce or stop /condensation) water accumulation. Nonetheless, for me the issue is how to make Mercedes Benz the manufacturer accountable for the shortcoming in their product. Accountable to the point of fixing this problem and manufacturing a better headlight mechanism. We spend too much for a sub-par product.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S500 4matic L
Originally Posted by Eric Smokes
. Nonetheless, for me the issue is how to make Mercedes Benz the manufacturer accountable for the shortcoming in their product. Accountable to the point of fixing this problem and manufacturing a better headlight mechanism. We spend too much for a sub-par product.
It's not a Lexus so forget they will admit to they faulty product, even Lexus didn't! In my lexus GS 3rd gen. I had same problem car was already out of warranty 6 years old. Service couldn't figure out what's wrong with both headlights being steamed upI had found in front of the team put them in shame and fix the problem myself. With MB headlights looks like bigger issue but I need to complete remove them to find the solution. Only wonder what happens when I reconnect do I will need to reprogramming them to car to rest any possible faults. My action a preventive at this moment I don't have many issues beyond steam some times.

zendee
Old 07-08-2020, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by mecca281

You are absolutely correct about this. The issue was the desiccant bags which MERCEDES installs as a “bandaid solution” when customers complain that their $100k vehicle has moisture in the headlights! After a number of washes, The bags ruptured and left a lot of oil and water in my ballast which shorted it out. Thankfully I am handy and was able to order and replace the part myself on my drivers side, but I’m not able to reach the bag on my passenger side!!!!
I have attached some pics of the repair. As you can see there is a lot of water and Oil from the ruptured desiccant bags. There is also a line from where the oil was sitting in the ballast for a long time.

Mercedes needs to own up to this issue and call customers in for free removal of these desiccant bags. these headlight cost as much as a whole used vehicle!!
I had the exact same problem, they tried to blame me.... for what.... I had photos and reported excessive moisture in headlights at several service appointments. They install the packs, a little over a year later leaked out and destroyed electronics, they wanted over 4K to fix the lights... Its a shame. Remove packs if you had them installed or at a bare minimum, replace them yearly or you will pay dearly...
Old 02-07-2022, 01:39 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by konigstiger
2015 headlight does has an integrated fan. Anyway, before replacing any additional parts suggest shop update camera software per attached bulletin. May or may not resolve your particular matter nevertheless, worth trying before proceeding.
Thanks for the insight Konigstiger. I have a 2014 E-class and its getting the same messages, etc.:
- "Active Lane Keeping Assist Inoperative" (code 238)
-"Adaptive Highbeam Assist Inoperative" (code 608)
-"Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus Inoperative" (code 628)
- "Traffic Sign Assist Inoperative" (code 513)
-"PRE-SAFE Inoperative. See Owner's Manual"

My car is at the dealership right now and I want to be armed with knowledge before they try to come back with some bogus answer.
Does that bulletin apply to my vehicle also, or is there a different updated bulletin?
And is that "fix" supposed to be free of charge since Mercedes knows about the situation?
Old 04-13-2023, 03:02 AM

W222
Mercedez 2017 SA400h W222

Hello
I have a massage Right dipped beam and Intell.Light system inoperative
any idea what i should do
Old 04-13-2023, 04:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 813 Likes on 630 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by tresean1
My car is at the dealership right now and I want to be armed with knowledge before they try to come back with some bogus answer.
If you don't want to get ripped off. get your own BenzNinja kit
The first fix will pay off the whole investment