S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Aftermarket Subwoofer - Did you port rear deck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Aftermarket Subwoofer - Did you port rear deck?

For those of you that added a subwoofer in the trunk - did you add a port to the rear deck?
I went with a bandpass box with a 10w7 that fires up my rear deck but my rear deck rattles like crazy so I am thinking about adding a port to the deck that matches the stock speakers grills back there.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
The Burmester 3D rear subwoofer enclosure narrows down to a kind of open ended port but I'm quite sure it's not a 10" subwoofer. You could look at it as a 'concept' to work with though
Old 07-31-2019, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Depends on which rear seat package you have. On mine with the executive rear seating package there is actually a pass though from the trunk to the rear seat area in the middle. Well, it is not there from the factory but it is very easy to create. On mine my installer just cut out the back of the box behind the little door in between the seats. I can close it if I want but just leave it open. My sub fires towards the rear of the car but I have more than enough tight rattle free bass. Went with a JL W7 10" sub and JL VXi 1000 amp with Audio Control LCI. Hits harder than anything I have ever heard. It is in a sealed box. Just need to find a grill for the driver as the excursion on it is over an inch. Awesome sound and power and the amp is running at around 40% of capacity so it stays cool.
The following users liked this post:
Meccadon123 (09-20-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
I have a bandpass box with a 10w7 and porting in-between the rear seats wasn’t an option for me. I am wondering if anyone has run a port through the back rear deck.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Range Rover
Originally Posted by superpop
Depends on which rear seat package you have. On mine with the executive rear seating package there is actually a pass though from the trunk to the rear seat area in the middle. Well, it is not there from the factory but it is very easy to create. On mine my installer just cut out the back of the box behind the little door in between the seats. I can close it if I want but just leave it open. My sub fires towards the rear of the car but I have more than enough tight rattle free bass. Went with a JL W7 10" sub and JL VXi 1000 amp with Audio Control LCI. Hits harder than anything I have ever heard. It is in a sealed box. Just need to find a grill for the driver as the excursion on it is over an inch. Awesome sound and power and the amp is running at around 40% of capacity so it stays cool.
Question..(sorry for the temp hijack OP)...I have a similar setup. I'm running a basic JL RD500 mono block with an 8 yr old 12W3 and it drops like nobody's business. Running at 20% gain(anything above causes clipping and protection mode). Did you have any clipping issues with your install? The input voltage sensitivity needs to be set to high obviously. I have the LCI line level converter in mine as well. Anyway.. mine thumps like crazyyyyy.. I can't imagine what your setup sounds like. The Burm 3D sounds great with the sub addition. What is your usual source? I run an android tablet via bluetooth using "Neutron player'. It has a boatload of EQs and preamp gain control. I'm just curious how you can run such a powerful amp and sub without clipping issues. I'm assuming it's your source selection. Thanks for any info you can offer. I use the 3D setting on the sound profile. Do you run in 3D or "pure"? Thanks

OP, I have not ported my back deck. I do NOT have a backseat passthru, but I do have the "little plastic box" where the armrest folds down. I'm sure that plastic can be ported. My 2015 S550 still sounds pretty tight when the bass is dropping. I listen to R&B, Jazz Gospel music mostly with a lot of long low bass guitar notes. My sub fires toward the trunk and sounds great in the cabin. If I come across anything re: porting the back deck I'll respond here.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I have no clipping issues. The VXi amp is super efficient and I have no idea how they get so much out of such a little box. Gain is set way down as this amp is probably overkill for a single W7 10". I chose this amp because it provides so much clean power, clipping is usually the result of an uncontrolled sub, either ported wrong or not enough clean power. Mine is sealed and hits super hard. I was actually shocked at how loud it can get. I used to compete in car audio back in the 90's and this single ten hits harder than the 2 12" RF punch woofers I had in a ported box with a Punch 600 driving the box. I think the excursion on the sub also has a lot to do with the lack of clipping. I typically just play what is on my Iphone via BT and run the 3D setting in factory unit. Bass is also turned to the middle so I can use the front subs as mid bass drivers.

Last edited by superpop; 09-20-2019 at 11:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Meccadon123 (09-20-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Range Rover
I run in 3D as well with the bass set at -3(which allows the system to be driven louder distortion free). I just went thru your OG thread.. looks awesome. And I'm sure it sounds even better. Thanks for the info. The input voltage sensitivity switch on my amp was incorrectly set to "low" which of course caused amp clipping as these Burmester 3D systems run with high volt output between 12-15 or something crazy high like that. A quick switch to "high" volt out sensitivity, a slight gain adjustment and some tuning on the LC2 converter fixed the issue. I saw you listen to most midrange stuff.. I listen to a lot of long bottom end notes, I have my low pass set @ just below 70 and those long low end notes drop like crazy. I tried a new 12W6 and it couldn't reach the lower notes that my 8 yr old 12W3 can reach. Something about those older broken in voice-coils that produce such clean low bottom end. thanks again for the info.