S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

w223 2021 s class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Looks more like a boat interior than a car But I still like it....and I don't like boats either!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Todd in PA
My dealer assured me that all the 2020 S Class models are being held up as they will be released in the 4th quarter.
I wish I could have built a 2019, but the slots were closed. We used the new 2020 DOG for my car, probably one of if not the first 2020 S Class on order.
I am hoping the USSA incentive will be as substantial as the 2019 model with the new W223 coming.
One can hope!
You are correct on the MY20. That is part of their typical inventory hold back until the MY19 stock is depleted... Thought it was a 19 based on build-date.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ajm0623
i have to believe that benzo is going to do this 223 right. everyone complains at this spy photo/sneak peak stage of new chassis development that they're ruining a good thing and winge about this and that. and inevitably - the new chassis is awesome. 222>221>220 and so on. the 223 will be the benchmark. again. as it always is. it has to be. too many other choices out there for us to buy otherwise. and benzo knows it.
The W223 will be a much better car, no doubt. The screen maybe controversial and much will depend on the implementation. I had spoken to a few people from MBUSA Atlanta and they voiced that some aspects of the new car will be controversial.

That said, I can't quite agree that there are many other choices are out there to buy otherwise; BMW? Audi? Bentley? Technically, the MB will be better than either. Design-wise, only the Bentley would be a viable choice and the price is a big step up for a car that will once again, technically not be on par with MB.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Looks more like a boat interior than a car But I still like it....and I don't like boats either!
I think this is a classy implementation. Over the top of course as all concepts are supposed to be but I take that over any other interior...
Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
I can't can't can't wait to see the new EQS launching in Frankfurt next week!!!!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bkdc
I can't can't can't wait to see the new EQS launching in Frankfurt next week!!!!
The EQS is still almost 2 years out. I don’t expect any launch in Frankfurt. More vision concepts and early design model is my assumption.

Extremely hopeful but am getting bored waiting for actual product...
Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The W223 will be a much better car, no doubt. The screen maybe controversial and much will depend on the implementation. I had spoken to a few people from MBUSA Atlanta and they voiced that some aspects of the new car will be controversial.

That said, I can't quite agree that there are many other choices are out there to buy otherwise; BMW? Audi? Bentley? Technically, the MB will be better than either. Design-wise, only the Bentley would be a viable choice and the price is a big step up for a car that will once again, technically not be on par with MB.
For the folks who consider S450 or S560 a Bentley would be too much of a money stretch indeed, on the other hand , those that were on the market for S65 or even S63, the difference will be negligible (V8 or Hybrid in particular)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Maybe people will keep what they have. This will be an opportunity for BMW and Audi to narrow the gap. There may be some that will go that way simply because they don't like the direction MB is going.

As for the tech, how much more do we need? More tech doesn't mean a better car. There is a saturation point somewhere. Who cares. It's a package proposition. People here aren't interested in driving a space ship at the expense of style, design, and the elegance the S is known for.

If you read people's concerns no one is asking for more tech, I don't think many even care. It's the design integrity and luxury experience that matters first. These cars are already packed with processors and intelligence. Let's not forget why we love this brand.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i
Originally Posted by places
Maybe people will keep what they have. This will be an opportunity for BMW and Audi to narrow the gap. There may be some that will go that way simply because they don't like the direction MB is going.

As for the tech, how much more do we need? More tech doesn't mean a better car. There is a saturation point somewhere. Who cares. It's a package proposition. People here aren't interested in driving a space ship at the expense of style, design, and the elegance the S is known for.

If you read people's concerns no one is asking for more tech, I don't think many even care. It's the design integrity and luxury experience that matters first. These cars are already packed with processors and intelligence. Let's not forget why we love this brand.
And Tech that makes the ride more comfortable - like the Magic Body Control.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
After becoming accustomed to the ride quality of my last three S sedans, I can’t imagine going to BMW or Audi. I am going to try to go for a Bentley, but I need to drive the car. When deciding on a new convertible, I drove a Bentley Continental and did not like the heaviness of the car, which you could really feel when driving it. I went for another SL instead. I am hoping the New Flying Spur will drive more similar to my S560. Anyway, for me, the choice will probably be a W223 or the Bentley. The Bentley lease numbers will be important as well. I just love playing with their Configurator!

Last edited by Streamliner; 09-06-2019 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

One needs to remember that all these conversations are snapshots in a 100 plus year timeline. The same was going on some 35-40 years ago when ABS and Airbags and self tightening seatbelts were all the rage. There were people looking for the latest tech and traditionalists that bemoaned the change in style and pace.
Mercedes and other car brands have always pushed the envelope and for the right reason; as a company are either ahead of the pack or fall behind. Cars will get smarter, more interconnected to location and other cars and will become more autonomous. Simple as that. What we hope is that these interfaces are intuitive and well integrated into a luxurious package.

So far, looking at the Mercedes history the S-Class has never been as luxurious as it is today. I assume this trend will continue
Streamliner (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580

I certainly care and want more tech. The more tech a car has, the safer it is in my opinion. The major reason I converted from the LS to the S Class back in 2014 was the fact that the S Class had state of the art tech. Last year I traded in the the 2014 S 550 for the 2019 S 450 primarily due to improved tech features. I doubt I'm alone in this thinking.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70

Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I certainly care and want more tech. The more tech a car has, the safer it is in my opinion. The major reason I converted from the LS to the S Class back in 2014 was the fact that the S Class had state of the art tech. Last year I traded in the the 2014 S 550 for the 2019 S 450 primarily due to improved tech features. I doubt I'm alone in this thinking.
I agree with BeanTrader; in general, I'd like more tech. Primarily safety and autonomous driving features, but also things like better voice recognition (and understanding), and active noise cancellation. Whether people here end up liking the big screens depends on the person and on the final implementation, which we simply don't know yet.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
You captured it well. Different strokes for different folks. The W222's seats are incredibly uncomfortable for me as well - but I am skinny and light. Human beings vary in size and we are all beautiful people! That's why we have options. I despise people who go on forums knocking other cars so please just know that I love the W222 which is why I browse this forum, although the car in question isn't for me!

It's a beautiful car and we all have our checklists, and all of us are right in what we look for!
Im not a smaller person and the s class seats caused me pretty bad back pain to the point even if I drove 35 min I needed to get out no matter what setting I had it on. I traded it in for a gls 63 and I’m much happier. Do I miss the car, yes and no. Loved the luxury of it, but it’s just not for me. Turns out SUV’s are just more comfortable for my body type.
superangrypenguin (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most of the so called "new tech" has a lot to do with replacing us as the drivers or to make us even dumber and less skilled then our fathers.
You get that entire alphabet of acronyms for self braking, lane control, speed control, etc.
Some can not drive without them, I turn all that garbage OFF the first thing I sit behind the wheel.
Btw, "self braking" almost killed me when I forgot to turn it off.
What NEW TECH do you really want in your car?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by absent
Most of the so called "new tech" has a lot to do with replacing us as the drivers or to make us even dumber and less skilled then our fathers.
You get that entire alphabet of acronyms for self braking, lane control, speed control, etc.
Some can not drive without them, I turn all that garbage OFF the first thing I sit behind the wheel.
Agreed. However I like having some features. The active blind spot awareness isn’t bad, but I always double and triple check it, so it’s almost not there. The cruise control I get nervous with when I’m not in control of it.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 991 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Looks like fly by wire steering.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
To me there is always a need for better tech. Generally this also includes more tech. More for the sake of more isn't compelling for me. If it is more, it also needs to be better.

Good examples over the years with ABS, ESP, pretensioning seat belts, active curve headlamps, Distronic, lane keeping systems, on board navigation, etc. etc.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Yep - I think Audi missed the opportunity here. They offered the A8 only in a V6. If you want a V8 - you will HAVE TO go with the S8 - which comes with the sporty suspension. Don't know what they were thinking. All but removed a 7 series and S Class competitor car.
Please stop spreading misinformation.

The V8 is coming as the Audi A8 60 TFSI in MY20. A S8 is rumored to follow. You're also not comparing like to like as all A8s have a 48V MHEV system with a Belt Starter Generator (BSG) which generates up to 60NM of torque for up to 5 seconds. Think of this as an electric boost of sorts.

Either way, there is a V8 and no you don't have to go to the S8. The S8's ride quality is also not more 'sportier', it simply will have a predictive suspension which MAY cause it to ride a bit harder if you ask it to, but it also has the ability to glide over bumps such as MBC on the W222 and will feature 'Curve' functionality.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
After becoming accustomed to the ride quality of my last three S sedans, I can’t imagine going to BMW or Audi.
All of the reviews I have ever seen have mentioned the A8's ride quality is better than the S class. They are absolutely right. But I'm with you on the Bentley. If I could afford one, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i

The V8 is coming as the Audi A8 60 TFSI in MY20. A S8 is rumored to follow. You're also not comparing like to like as all A8s have a 48V MHEV system with a Belt Starter Generator (BSG) which generates up to 60NM of torque for up to 5 seconds. Think of this as an electric boost of sorts.

Either way, there is a V8 and no you don't have to go to the S8. The S8's ride quality is also not more 'sportier', it simply will have a predictive suspension which MAY cause it to ride a bit harder if you ask it to, but it also has the ability to glide over bumps such as MBC on the W222 and will feature 'Curve' functionality.

All of the reviews I have ever seen have mentioned the A8's ride quality is better than the S class. They are absolutely right. But I'm with you on the Bentley. If I could afford one, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
From 2017 - If you wanted an Audi A8 - you had to go with a V6. There was no V8 Option. For the past few years - they didn't compete in the luxury V8 Sedan category. Jaguar also screwed up with this because when they offered their XJ series in AWD - they didn't offer it with a V8 either. So to own a luxury V8 AWD - you had just two reasonable options - the S Class and the 7 series.

The S8 trades the six-cylinder from the standard A8 for a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8, and it is rather gutsy.

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/357597/a...rrives-563-hp/

The wheels on an S8 will be larger and thus not as comfortable of a ride - unless you switch them out for smaller diameter.

We are all entitled to make mistakes and overlook something. Knowing absolutely every detail of a cars manufacturing timeline is just our side hobby here. We all have day jobs.

FWIW Audi Manhattan salesman told me S8 is what's coming - and the customer will have the choice between the A8 six - and the S8 for the time being.

Audi says a V8 engine will be available as an option by the summer of this year, but for now, the V6 is it. It’s not a bad engine; it runs smoothly and the power it provides is sufficient for most situations. Yet, if we’re being honest, paying nearly $120K for a car with 335 hp feels like a bad deal. Audi claims the A8 hits 60 miles per hour in 5.6 seconds, and that feels right, but it doesn’t feel fast from behind the wheel. After all, the BMW 740i takes just 5.1 seconds and the Mercedes-Benz S450 4Matic gets there in 5.4 seconds – and both BMW and Mercedes offer optional V8 engines.

Source: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/34631...udi-a8-review/

It's the end of the summer - and there's no V8 on the website - or reviews from any respectable car blog / site (motor1 - carwow - autocar - etc) which lends me to think it's either delayed till after the S8 comes out to see if it's even needed.

Nothing I said was untrue - or inaccurate. You still today - cannot walk into an Audi Showroom and buy a V8 Luxury sedan. If they are coming out with a V8 option on the A8 - that's GREAT - though a bit late to the game.

Last edited by Chucky3000; 09-07-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone saying S8 has a stiff ride must have not driven one yet.
I had previous gen S8 Plus (2017) and the ride comfort was absolutely equal to my current S63.
superangrypenguin (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 AM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
And Tech that makes the ride more comfortable - like the Magic Body Control.
#1 tech thing for me is more safety. Any well implemented additional technology that offers collision avoidance or passenger safety measures are welcome. I think the S class is already the safest sedan on the road.

Active body control is amazing. The competitors have had to play catch-up and are finally implementing ABC on their newest flagships. Now that MB has figured out how to do this without sacrificing all wheel drive, 4matic drivers can enjoy when the W223 comes out.

My complaint with the S8 and A8 is the wheel/tire sizing. Due to the awkward and uncommon sizing, there are limited options for tires. You can’t even fit it with a Michelin Pilot AS without having your speedometer go inaccurate.

Last edited by bkdc; 09-08-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by absent
I want the Distronic to be perfected even more than it is already and other tech options which will make for a more comfortable and safer ride. Like it or not, autonomous cars are in the future. I see NOTHING wrong with that. And before you tell me that I'm not a good enough driver and that's why I love tech features, I have had one minor accident (with my then 2014 S 550. There was nothing I could do to avoid it as a drunk driver abruptly swung into my passing lane) since I first got a driver's license decades ago. Perhaps better autonomous/safety features would have prevented the accident.
Streamliner (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
From 2017 - If you wanted an Audi A8 - you had to go with a V6. There was no V8 Option. For the past few years - they didn't compete in the luxury V8 Sedan category. Jaguar also screwed up with this because when they offered their XJ series in AWD - they didn't offer it with a V8 either. So to own a luxury V8 AWD - you had just two reasonable options - the S Class and the 7 series.
Ok, now you're backpedaling and still providing incorrect information. Firstly, we are talking about the D5 A8, or the latest model which started from 2019. Now you're talking about the D4 A8, or the last model, which absolutely had a V8 option. It was the Audi A8 4.0T (V8) versus the A8 (3.0T) which is in addition to the S8. If you are unsure about something, simply say you're unsure - there is nothing wrong with that, or refrain from commenting. For example, I know the D4 had the 4.0T option but I'm not 100% sure exactly what year it came out. I'm fairly confident it has been out since the inception of the D4's launch, but I could be wrong.

There? That's not so hard, is it? By making definite statements like you're making here such as "There was no V8 option", all you're doing is confusing people and spreading misinformation which could cause someone to make a decision on their vehicle purchase based on wrong information.

The wheels on an S8 will be larger and thus not as comfortable of a ride - unless you switch them out for smaller diameter.
This can be said about ANY car, but since we're talking about the W222 versus the W223 versus the S8, I'd save your breath if I were you. The W cars all come with RFTs while the latter (S8) comes with normal tires. So if you really want to base your ride comfort opinion on tire size/rim size alone, then, well, this is a pointless conversation.

We are all entitled to make mistakes and overlook something. Knowing absolutely every detail of a cars manufacturing timeline is just our side hobby here. We all have day jobs.

You're right, we all have day jobs but that does not mean one is entitled to make a mistake. We should all try our best to provide accurate information, and when called out, just accept it. Sticking with wrong information does no one any good, you included (respectfully).

It's the end of the summer - and there's no V8 on the website - or reviews from any respectable car blog / site (motor1 - carwow - autocar - etc) which lends me to think it's either delayed till after the S8 comes out to see if it's even needed.
Slow down. Read what I posted already. The V8 is coming for MY20 and was not available for the MY19 launch. The S8 is also allegedly coming for MY20, although that has not been confirmed. Before you read too quickly into this, the V8, again, was an option for the last model (D4) but is simply not YET available for the D5 hence why there are no reviews of that yet.

Nothing I said was untrue - or inaccurate. You still today - cannot walk into an Audi Showroom and buy a V8 Luxury sedan. If they are coming out with a V8 option on the A8 - that's GREAT - though a bit late to the game.
See above. Lots of inaccurate information was indeed provided by you.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-08-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Yeah Chucky!!!
superangrypenguin (09-08-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w223 2021 s class