S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

w223 2021 s class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I want the Distronic to be perfected even more than it is already and other tech options which will make for a more comfortable and safer ride. Like it or not, autonomous cars are in the future. I see NOTHING wrong with that. And before you tell me that I'm not a good enough driver and that's why I love tech features, I have had one minor accident (with my then 2014 S 550. There was nothing I could do to avoid it as a drunk driver abruptly swung into my passing lane) since I first got a driver's license decades ago. Perhaps better autonomous/safety features would have prevented the accident.
I don't care how advanced the tech may be, in the situation you described a drunk driver would defeat the best system anyway, there is simply no defense against idiots in the next lane who decide to slam into you.
Btw, never crossed my mind to doubt your driving skills, was only pointing out that all these "nannies" make all of us dumber and blinder, I agree with you that self driving is coming and that will be the end of driving enjoyment for those of us that still take pleasure from it.
Unfortunately (IMO), in the future we will be driven from place to place in appliance like pods, Zero involvement or fun, at the same speed as everyone else and utterly boring.
Hopefully some experts who expressed their opinions lately, this abomination is not happening that quickly as some predicted, according to some new studies, it may take another 25 years or more before we are all forced into that Orwell's World.
By then I will be drooling on my chin and sit with a diaper on so bring it on........
The following 2 users liked this post by absent:
places (09-11-2019), superangrypenguin (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by absent
I don't care how advanced the tech may be, in the situation you described a drunk driver would defeat the best system anyway, there is simply no defense against idiots in the next lane who decide to slam into you.
Btw, never crossed my mind to doubt your driving skills, was only pointing out that all these "nannies" make all of us dumber and blinder, I agree with you that self driving is coming and that will be the end of driving enjoyment for those of us that still take pleasure from it.
Unfortunately (IMO), in the future we will be driven from place to place in appliance like pods, Zero involvement or fun, at the same speed as everyone else and utterly boring.
Hopefully some experts who expressed their opinions lately, this abomination is not happening that quickly as some predicted, according to some new studies, it may take another 25 years or more before we are all forced into that Orwell's World.
By then I will be drooling on my chin and sit with a diaper on so bring it on........
I am not looking forward to autonomous cars. I enjoy driving and would prefer to always be in control of my car. That said, I feel that the electronic safety systems in my S560 are nothing short of astonishing and given the choice, I will never buy a new car without them. Of course, no system, as they exist today, can protect us from every peril, but the “ASSISTANCE” that they provide is invaluable, in my opinion. Who among us has never caught ourselves glancing away from the road for a bit too long as we fix on something going on to the side of us? In such an instance, our automatic braking and collision avoidance systems act as “another pair of eyes,” watching where we should be watching, but got distracted. And, like it or not, as each of us age, our reflexes and response times decline. I feel that I am an excellent driver, but I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m not as good as I was in my 30’s or 40’s and that I am truly thankful for all the help I get from my technologically advanced vehicles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
BenjaminKohl (09-08-2019), places (09-11-2019), Radman991 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
I agree nannies make us dumber and blinder......which is why I have never configured any in my past builds.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I am not looking forward to autonomous cars. I enjoy driving and would prefer to always be in control of my car. That said, I feel that the electronic safety systems in my S560 are nothing short of astonishing and given the choice, I will never buy a new car without them. Of course, no system, as they exist today, can protect us from every peril, but the “ASSISTANCE” that they provide is invaluable, in my opinion. Who among us has never caught ourselves glancing away from the road for a bit too long as we fix on something going on to the side of us? In such an instance, our automatic braking and collision avoidance systems act as “another pair of eyes,” watching where we should be watching, but got distracted. And, like it or not, as each of us age, our reflexes and response times decline. I feel that I am an excellent driver, but I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m not as good as I was in my 30’s or 40’s and that I am truly thankful for all the help I get from my technologically advanced vehicles.
Streamliner, you stated it perfectly. I also very much enjoy driving my car but who knows how long it will take (probably at least 20-30 years) cars will be fully autonomous. In the meantime, constantly improving safety and comfort features make driving a lot less stressful.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Streamliner, you stated it perfectly. I also very much enjoy driving my car but who knows how long it will take (probably at least 20-30 years) cars will be fully autonomous. In the meantime, constantly improving safety and comfort features make driving a lot less stressful.
Yes, Bean, I fully agree with you and Absent on that point. All this hype about fully autonomous vehicles hitting our roads “tomorrow,” is just that: HYPE! They can make them ALMOST work, but they cannot make them deal with the millions of little unknown events that happen every day on public streets & highways. Boy, I’ll bet the personal injury lawyers are seriously looking into how they can be frozen and brought back to life when these things finally do hit the roads.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ok, now you're backpedaling and still providing incorrect information. Firstly, we are talking about the D5 A8, or the latest model which started from 2019. Now you're talking about the D4 A8, or the last model, which absolutely had a V8 option. It was the Audi A8 4.0T (V8) versus the A8 (3.0T) which is in addition to the S8. If you are unsure about something, simply say you're unsure - there is nothing wrong with that, or refrain from commenting. For example, I know the D4 had the 4.0T option but I'm not 100% sure exactly what year it came out. I'm fairly confident it has been out since the inception of the D4's launch, but I could be wrong.

There? That's not so hard, is it? By making definite statements like you're making here such as "There was no V8 option", all you're doing is confusing people and spreading misinformation which could cause someone to make a decision on their vehicle purchase based on wrong information.

This can be said about ANY car, but since we're talking about the W222 versus the W223 versus the S8, I'd save your breath if I were you. The W cars all come with RFTs while the latter (S8) comes with normal tires. So if you really want to base your ride comfort opinion on tire size/rim size alone, then, well, this is a pointless conversation.

You're right, we all have day jobs but that does not mean one is entitled to make a mistake. We should all try our best to provide accurate information, and when called out, just accept it. Sticking with wrong information does no one any good, you included (respectfully).

Slow down. Read what I posted already. The V8 is coming for MY20 and was not available for the MY19 launch. The S8 is also allegedly coming for MY20, although that has not been confirmed. Before you read too quickly into this, the V8, again, was an option for the last model (D4) but is simply not YET available for the D5 hence why there are no reviews of that yet.

See above. Lots of inaccurate information was indeed provided by you.

You need to relax a bit. If I wanted a detailed breakdown on Audi models and product release timeline, I go visit an Audi forum.

Personally I find the A8 a highly competent, high quality, well build and very safe car. Having rented various generations over time while in Germany they are great to drive and perform well at the limit.
They also feature some infuriatingly poor design elements but most importantly, the cars bore my pants off. Best car to buy if you want something bland and non-descript. Subjectively speaking of course

Chucky is right though that the V8 is simply not available at the moment nor has it been as an A8 since the launch. Same stupid decision Audi made the last time with their previous gen. Who cares when it’s coming...
Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
The time will come when driving manually is illegal but imo (as you hint at) it is likely some decades into the future. Most of us will be too old to drive manually, or will be dead by that point.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You need to relax a bit. If I wanted a detailed breakdown on Audi models and product release timeline, I go visit an Audi forum.

Personally I find the A8 a highly competent, high quality, well build and very safe car. Having rented various generations over time while in Germany they are great to drive and perform well at the limit.
They also feature some infuriatingly poor design elements but most importantly, the cars bore my pants off. Best car to buy if you want something bland and non-descript. Subjectively speaking of course

Chucky is right though that the V8 is simply not available at the moment nor has it been as an A8 since the launch. Same stupid decision Audi made the last time with their previous gen. Who cares when it’s coming...
Your review about the A8 is bang on - certainly meant to slide under the radar and is appealing to its buyers for that reason.

I only jumped in because Chucky was making blanket wide statements that an V8 was not available, period for the A8 outside of the S8. If in fact he mentioned exactly as you said which is that it's not available YET this whole tangent would have been unnecessary.
Wolfman (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 S550
all this talk^^about hi-tech, etc. Heck..before our recent MY15 S550 purchase we were thinking about going back in time with a low mileage beauty...something like this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-560sel-11/
or this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-560sec-30/
(a collector friend is thinning (not culling) his herd^)

Last edited by 77Tony; 09-09-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Anyone saying S8 has a stiff ride must have not driven one yet.
I had previous gen S8 Plus (2017) and the ride comfort was absolutely equal to my current S63.
Not an apples to apples comparison but my '16 S8 was not as comfortable as my prefl S350 or new Vogue. Too bad it got stolen along with the S3 as it was a much 'better' driver oriented car.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 77Tony
all this talk^^about hi-tech, etc. Heck..before our recent MY15 S550 purchase we were thinking about going back in time with a low mileage beauty...something like this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-560sel-11/
or this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-560sec-30/
(a collector friend is thinning (not culling) his herd^)

The last truly beautiful designs from MB, Bruno Sacco's fabulous work on display......
places (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Tell me that I'm nuts if you wish, but I think the newer S Class designs are a lot better looking than these old designs. I guess, I just like new stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tell me that I'm nuts if you wish, but I think the newer S Class designs are a lot better looking than these old designs. I guess, I just like new stuff.
Well Bean, this comment can easily touch off another W221 vs W222 design discussion. It has been six years now since the W222 came out and I STILL stare at clean examples of the later model W221's. In my case, I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that there are 221's running around without my pet-peeve-Panorama Roof, and I find those cars, in lighter colors especially, to be knockouts! I loved the wheel flares and the treatment of the rear end especially. In addition, the W221 was unique and did not look like a C or E Class. It was a very distinctive design and I miss it.

llcd (05-12-2020)
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Not better or worse, just different and relevant for the times. The older Benz cars were classical and in my opinion the best looking ever. Today there is less distinction between C, E and S from the front view. The W220 was probably the least attractive S class. I agree with Streamliner in that the W221 was a very distinct car and did not resemble anything else in the lineup, I owned three of these and regret selling the last one. It remains a favorite of many.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 S550
Friend of mine just purchased this S65 and will be the stablemate of his beautiful SL 55...both MY07's IIRC. T

Old 09-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
There all were nice to have at the time, but nothing to look forward to. Some are classic, some are just a bit dated...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Personally (despite the issues), I really like the post FL W220 (with the 4 white lines in the rear tail lights). I think that aged well.

I also really like the W222 - post FL as well. Think that will age well.

MB makes some cars that really are timeless and the S models usually are just that. I'm not THAT big of a fan of a W221 but will still say that's a darn fine looking car!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
There all were nice to have at the time, but nothing to look forward to. Some are classic, some are just a bit dated...
Agreed, but some were better than others.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well Bean, this comment can easily touch off another W221 vs W222 design discussion. It has been six years now since the W222 came out and I STILL stare at clean examples of the later model W221's. In my case, I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that there are 221's running around without my pet-peeve-Panorama Roof, and I find those cars, in lighter colors especially, to be knockouts! I loved the wheel flares and the treatment of the rear end especially. In addition, the W221 was unique and did not look like a C or E Class. It was a very distinctive design and I miss it.

Agree, after the W220 (which I owned and felt like I was in an E-Class), a low point in S-Class history (IMO), the new W221 brought a sigh of relief from me when I first saw it, a return to the glory of a true S-Class.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand but even you must surely appreciate the timeless and never getting old beauty of the classic W116 design, the greatest of them all.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Absent, as the old saying goes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. These were nice looking when compared with other vehicles at that time. But, I have to be honest. They have no appeal to me now. It will be interesting to hear comments (pro and con) of other members here.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
Absent, as the old saying goes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. These were nice looking when compared with other vehicles at that time. But, I have to be honest. They have no appeal to me now. It will be interesting to hear comments (pro and con) of other members here.
I couldn't agree more. I respect the older cars, but would never want to own one. I enjoyed the XJ's........that was back when they looked really nice although not so reliable haha.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I couldn't agree more. I respect the older cars, but would never want to own one. I enjoyed the XJ's........that was back when they looked really nice although not so reliable haha.
I still think the original XJ was the most beautiful sedan in history........
Actually, toying with the idea of building an XJ Coupe with a V12 and manual, a full build restomod with modern tech underneath but absolutely original stock visuals ( except wider wheels).
hyperion667 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i
I still think the original XJ was the most beautiful sedan in history........
Actually, toying with the idea of building an XJ Coupe with a V12 and manual, a full build restomod with modern tech underneath but absolutely original stock visuals ( except wider wheels).
I think a lot of us are going to be leaving the MB brand / loyalty. What they're doing lately really looks pretty mass market - or to a customer that is not the typical Benz driver.

I am just ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 BMW M760i. I think the interior of this will look a lot better than the upcoming S W223 that's been shown in renderings and spypics. Just my opinion of course. (And this from someone who had a W140 W220 W221 and W222.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 299 Posts
EQ
Everything is beautiful except that grill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w223 2021 s class