Lost my dream S560

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by hundolots
Update: We're still locked in this luxury pit of hell. Quite literally every vehicle we inquire about is either not available or is a demo car with 1600-3000 miles on them (which I don't want). A big difficulty is the dwindling supply of 2019 vehicles before the true influx of 2020s. In fact, there's only one dealership website in NY that we've found where they have 2020s. The dealership where I go certainly doesn't have any, that's for sure. They only have one S560 at all, and it's not very nice.

My wife is telling me "Just get anything, you'll love it within 5 minutes!" But I don't really want to do that. Do you people settle for anything when you have your heart and mind set on an S class? It would be infinitely helpful if these people could actually show me some vehicles. Instead, all we do is search search search. And it brings back increasingly disappointing results.

Finally, two days ago thank to the gentleman who posted the spec sheet above we located a North Carolina Ruby Black S560 with all the bells and whistles. It even had the exclusive nappa leather which I hadn't even planned on, but at this point I figured what the heck. It was a $126.5k vehicle and all of my discounts etc carried over. I was feeling good about this one after the last demo car disaster. The salesperson was feeling good too! 36 hours later we learn it too is a demo car, but this one has been "modified."

I am seriously losing steam here. I am willing to wait for a 2020 custom car, but they're telling me it could take up to 7 months, which sounds insane to me... but ok. Also, "half the trunk money won't carry over and you'll be paying more than you want to." Ok... makes sense, I guess. Although I just learned the term trunk money this week, so who the heck even knows? ha ha.

*sigh*

I am really getting exhausted. Any enjoyment this experience might have held has been siphoned out and drained into the gutter.
If you enjoy cars more than a point to point transportation means, order the car the way you want it. But let me tell you it does not take 7months for an S560. It may take 7 months if the dealer you are working with is small and has limited allocations. You simply may need to find another dealer since the turn around time is about 3 months with a dealer that has the proper allocations. I have been purchasing S class cars for over 25 years. In 2000 I was irritated with my local dealer on the east coast so I bought a 2001 S500 from a Denver dealer. After this I believe my local dealer realized not to jerk me around and has treated me with kid gloves ever since they realized I will go to another MB dealer anywhere in the country to buy my cars.

Take control of the situation and get what you want. Or listen to your wife and buy anything and love it after 5 minutes but it seems like you are torturing yourself needlessly.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
At this point this is a bizarre thread.
S-Class Versus something else? There are plenty of 2019 models still around.
While some, like MTraumann, loves the ruby black and configures his cars to fit his wants and likes, it is not a popular color.
These cars are demos because they didn’t sell. This is not a surprise and a repeat of the 2018 launch models when Dealers were giving away those cars.

So now the OP has to deal with the reality of buying a car that is nearly the config or get a demo at a discount or get the car configured as many of us do.
It’s still easy to get a discount on a MY20, just not the trunk money. That’s life. Pay to play

But the saga is to some extend self inflicted.
Nobody can pick a car for you. Choose your priorities and make a choice...
Old 10-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Yes, if it is the car I am thinking about at MB South Charlotte, they turned it into a dreadful two tone "Maybach like" paint job using a wrap on the top half of the car... that car will sit for a decade unless they take that crap off it.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:38 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Lanzz
Yes, if it is the car I am thinking about at MB South Charlotte, they turned it into a dreadful two tone "Maybach like" paint job using a wrap on the top half of the car... that car will sit for a decade unless they take that crap off it.
Please provide a link or picture?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 991 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Wow....
Old 10-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Please provide a link or picture?
We were told it was a demo car with “modifications” Hahahaha. I guess now we know what those mods were. Good Lord.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
At this point this is a bizarre thread.
S-Class Versus something else? There are plenty of 2019 models still around.
While some, like MTraumann, loves the ruby black and configures his cars to fit his wants and likes, it is not a popular color.
These cars are demos because they didn’t sell. This is not a surprise and a repeat of the 2018 launch models when Dealers were giving away those cars.

So now the OP has to deal with the reality of buying a car that is nearly the config or get a demo at a discount or get the car configured as many of us do.
It’s still easy to get a discount on a MY20, just not the trunk money. That’s life. Pay to play

But the saga is to some extend self inflicted.
Nobody can pick a car for you. Choose your priorities and make a choice...
I hear you loud and clear. But I’ve moved on from the ruby at this point and STILL can’t find a decent car. I was ready to go down to the dealership and buy the one and only 2019 S560 they have (had) in stock. And then we found out it had sold the day before. It’s seriously comical at this point.

I do have some specifications and options I want but it’s really nothing too bizarre: AMG package, a black color, any interior but but brown or gray... the wheels I’m over now, ditto the spoiler (these can both be changed later).

Do you want to know what the real problem is? It’s the locate manager and the other dealerships he’s communicating with. I understand that nobody’s on my watch, of course, but MB likes to proceed with all these formalities as though the car is actually available! The salesperson and I both get our hopes up every time, only to find out a day or two later that the car is already sold, earmarked, a demo, modified, etc.

I signed all the paperwork for the 126.5k car, just so they’d know I was serious about the darn lease!! It’s at the point where they don’t even want to do searches for my salesperson because everything keeps falling flat through no fault of ours!

i agree with you that the ruby likely becomes a demo car because not many people want that color. But every once in a while there’s someone like me to whom that style just speaks...

i told the salesperson days ago, “while we’re looking and waiting all the time, just find me a list of black cars. Plain black. AMG package, no spoiler, nice 20 inch rims if possible. I don’t even care anymore. I just want a car!”

car salesmen wait their whole lives to hear things like that. lol. Yet there is still a plodding resistance that bogs us down. I don’t want to go to another dealership but I might have to.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,167 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Have you tried the sites like cargurus.com, cars.com, autotrader.com? They also list new cars and there are hundreds of S-560's out there. According to other people who have bought their cars from other dealers, loyalty is overrated. The service department doesn't really care where you bought the car, if you always get it serviced in the same place, you still get the same good will consideration. It's the service center that's really the profit center.

They all pretty much list the vin number so you can run it through a vin decoder like https://www.datamb.com/ to see what options a car really has but if it's a really new build, it might not be in the database yet so probably the most up to date one is a subscription to MB's EPC net/Startek which is basically their parts catalog at $75 a year, but it also decodes vin numbers.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/subscribe.jsp
The following users liked this post:
syswei (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
I would second what cetialpha5 wrote. There is no need to buy through your dealer. Your local dealer's service dept cares much more about how you rate them when you get an email survey from MB corporate than they do about where you bought the car. Figure out where the cars are, then contact directly the dealers that have them. My first S, a 2008, I was living in CT and dealt with a dealer in MN and shipped the car over.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
The sales guy is tired of you, go elsewhere without all your bs bagage.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by 1bad540
The sales guy is tired of you, go elsewhere without all your bs bagage.
I'm beginning to wonder about this. Anyone else would have walked. There are other options. Typical high line MB buyer would not have acted this way.
Streamliner (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:22 PM

S550
Originally Posted by places
I'm beginning to wonder about this. Anyone else would have walked. There are other options. Typical high line MB buyer would not have acted this way.

I dont know, buddy. Everyone is different, I suppose. I actually feel bad for the salesperson because of the amount of time put into this. Plus I have an alright deal in place with a fair trade in on my S550. One might say I’m too loyal, too naive, too suspicious, you name it. At the end of the day I just want a new car, and if that cannot be accomplished I shall move on. I’m giving them another chance or two to find a suitable vehicle.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I dont know, buddy. Everyone is different, I suppose. I actually feel bad for the salesperson because of the amount of time put into this. Plus I have an alright deal in place with a fair trade in on my S550. One might say I’m too loyal, too naive, too suspicious, you name it. At the end of the day I just want a new car, and if that cannot be accomplished I shall move on. I’m giving them another chance or two to find a suitable vehicle.
Bad for a SALESPERSON??? They wouldn't feel bad for you that's for damn sure......leave the emotion OUT of the equation! As I am clearly NOT doing here LOL!
Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 PM

S550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Bad for a SALESPERSON??? They wouldn't feel bad for you that's for damn sure......leave the emotion OUT of the equation! As I am clearly NOT doing here LOL!
Lol. Normally I wouldn’t give a crap, but we’ve been going through this unusual string of bad luck together. One crushing disappointment after the next!! My philosophy is: if this person can get the same car as I’d get at another dealership then there’s no difference. For the weeks of searching and effort the sale should go to this salesperson. But once that good will dries up (if no delivery) then I walk
Old 10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Lol. Normally I wouldn’t give a crap, but we’ve been going through this unusual string of bad luck together. One crushing disappointment after the next!! My philosophy is: if this person can get the same car as I’d get at another dealership then there’s no difference. For the weeks of searching and effort the sale should go to this salesperson. But once that good will dries up (if no delivery) then I walk
You are quite mistaken.
Your dealer can’t just get cars from other dealers. Not for free. Anytime a car is pulled from another dealer, a swap, transport or other costs are involved. Don’t expect that any of these costs will not be covered by you.

This has also already been mentioned. Quite frankly, if you just continue discussing yet other cars with the dealer that doesn’t have them, you just can’t be helped.
You already have all the info to get a good deal. Stop being in your own way...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,167 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You are quite mistaken.
Your dealer can’t just get cars from other dealers. Not for free. Anytime a car is pulled from another dealer, a swap, transport or other costs are involved. Don’t expect that any of these costs will not be covered by you.

This has also already been mentioned. Quite frankly, if you just continue discussing yet other cars with the dealer that doesn’t have them, you just can’t be helped.
Do you know how the split with the other dealer works? I thought they split the commission or work something out. I recall reading one thread where there was a 10% commission on the car so if one dealer has to swap it with another dealer they have to split it or work something out. So if he has his dealer procure it, he's getting a worse deal because his dealer doesn't make as much and therefore can't budge as much on the price. He'd get a much better deal going directly to the dealer that has the car and arranging transport either with the dealer or finding cheaper shipping on his own.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM

S550
You are quite mistaken.

I do know that these cars aren’t just handed over, and that a trade or negotiation must be in place for any of this to happen. I should have elaborated in my message.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I do know that these cars aren’t just handed over, and that a trade or negotiation must be in place for any of this to happen. I should have elaborated in my message.
This is where I don't understand your rationale. On the one side you seem very frugal to the point where time/effort doesn't seem to matter and on the other hand you tell people you have no problem wasting money on these complicated deals. These are four figure expenses you seem to ignore.

As already suggested by others, go where the cars are. Buying from dealers across the region is no biggie and you are on the east coast. Lots of dealers close by.
All of this is easy to handle via e-mail and phone calls later on. Go to cars.com, select 10-15 cars you like and send each one an email outlining an aggressive deal. Whoever responds is willing to discuss this further
aypues (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
I can respect hundolots hustle to get the lease at the right price. I get that the lease is a good idea for the S class. These cars have problems and you dont want to own a 5 yr old 120k car with problems...thumbs up agree. You want to lease it, enjoy the heck out of it and give it right back.....love the idea. Now lets talk about the price...you sound very smart with your pricing. You are very good with the #'s and you know there is a glut of these S class's all over. It makes makes all the sense to get a great deal right? Your almost doing the dealership a favor! haha. OK so here is my help to you. Your way too focused on the data side of things. You need to read the dealer and their body language on what THEIR best price is.....NOT yours. Part of making a good deal is knowing when to pull the trigger. You admitted that was your mistake. But admitting it wont prevent your from doing this ALL over again at another go-around. You need to ask the right questions and feel the dealer out. Get more personable with them and show them your not just an accountant trying to squeeze them. From the quality of your replies, I know your a personable person, but the numbers took control of your emotions. Good Luck!!

Last edited by mobster600; 10-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:04 AM

S550
This is where I don't understand your rationale. On the one side you seem very frugal to the point where time/effort doesn't seem to matter and on the other hand you tell people you have no problem wasting money on these complicated deals. These are four figure expenses you seem to ignore.

As already suggested by others, go where the cars are. Buying from dealers across the region is no biggie and you are on the east coast. Lots of dealers close by.
All of this is easy to handle via e-mail and phone calls later on. Go to cars.com, select 10-15 cars you like and send each one an email outlining an aggressive deal. Whoever responds is willing to discuss this further
I am actually being less frugal than might appear, believe it or not. If you were a car salesperson and I said, “I just want a car with these three specific options included, I can go up to $127k” wouldn’t you be bending over backwards to find me a car?

im open to different colors, different wheels, different packages... I just want a car and I can’t make it any easier. It’s important to stick to one’s guns to get a good deal and to get what one wants — but I’ve offered great flexibility.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:20 AM

S550
Originally Posted by mobster600
I can respect hundolots hustle to get the lease at the right price. I get that the lease is a good idea for the S class. These cars have problems and you dont want to own a 5 yr old 120k car with problems...thumbs up agree. You want to lease it, enjoy the heck out of it and give it right back.....love the idea. Now lets talk about the price...you sound very smart with your pricing. You are very good with the #'s and you know there is a glut of these S class's all over. It makes makes all the sense to get a great deal right? Your almost doing the dealership a favor! haha. OK so here is my help to you. Your way too focused on the data side of things. You need to read the dealer and their body language on what THEIR best price is.....NOT yours. Part of making a good deal is knowing when to pull the trigger. You admitted that was your mistake. But admitting it wont prevent your from doing this ALL over again at another go-around. You need to ask the right questions and feel the dealer out. Get more personable with them and show them your not just an accountant trying to squeeze them. From the quality of your replies, I know your a personable person, but the numbers took control of your emotions. Good Luck!!
I appreciate your opinions, and it’s nice to see someone who agrees with me, even if only in part! Regarding knowing when to pull the trigger, I agree that was my mistake initially. But I’ve been ready to roll since then... it’s just the deals that have been atrocious. I don’t want a demo car with 1600 miles on it. Sorry I don’t care if it’s a lease or not. That’s one thing I won’t bend on. I also don’t want some S class that’s been hideously disfigured with a would-be Maybach two-tone wrap job. They keep turning up these duds. So a week ago I said start looking for some standard black cars too. The dealership had literally one S560 in stock this whole time and it was a nice black on black. I was even open to getting that one, but it sold earlier in the week.

I have a feeling that this MB branch maybe can’t get the vehicles I want because they have nothing commensurate to trade! Wonder if that’s the issue.

I’m not window shopping either. I even signed all the $126.5k car docs before it fell flat. I’m good to go. These aren’t just buying signals; these are blatant tellings that I WANT A CAR.

I may need to just cut my losses, take the quotes to the main competing local dealer (which is hugely active with massive inventory) and start seeing if they can match or even beat the numbers.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
This thread must be a record. 13 pages about trying to buy a car and in the end there is nothing.

As others have suggested, Do a search on cars.com and identify a car that you may be interested in. You call the dealer that has the car and negotiate directly with them.

Dealer loyalty is a myth and certainly doesn't go both ways. As others have suggested a dealer swap is not that easy to accomplish and all costs involve will be passed on to you. I have bought many cars over the years and there is no such things as loyalty in the car business.

I have been in situations where a dealer is telling me they are trying to acquire a vehicle from another dealership only to find out they never called that dealer. Another situation where I had an order for a Ford F450 for months (when they were released) waiting patiently for an allocation and then the dealer promised one that their sister dealership was getting. To make a long story short there was no truck when time came.

Clearly you are being played by the dealership and you can't see it. Whether it's the salesperson and/or management, its time to move on and go somewhere else.

A black S class should be very easy to get as black is a common color. It should be lot easier now that you have moved on from Ruby black. It's not that you are getting the new G63 and there is a 1-2 year wait. You are getting a common car.

Also the service department doesn't care where you bought the car. None of my cars were bought from the dealership where my cars are serviced.

I have purchased many cars over years across many brands including some custom ordered AMG and it's never been this hard not it took this long o make a deal.

Go somewhere else and start fresh.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by sam9187:
MTrauman (10-13-2019), places (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by sam9187
This thread must be a record. 13 pages about trying to buy a car and in the end there is nothing.

As others have suggested, Do a search on cars.com and identify a car that you may be interested in. You call the dealer that has the car and negotiate directly with them.

Dealer loyalty is a myth and certainly doesn't go both ways. As others have suggested a dealer swap is not that easy to accomplish and all costs involve will be passed on to you. I have bought many cars over the years and there is no such things as loyalty in the car business.

I have been in situations where a dealer is telling me they are trying to acquire a vehicle from another dealership only to find out they never called that dealer. Another situation where I had an order for a Ford F450 for months (when they were released) waiting patiently for an allocation and then the dealer promised one that their sister dealership was getting. To make a long story short there was no truck when time came.

Clearly you are being played by the dealership and you can't see it. Whether it's the salesperson and/or management, its time to move on and go somewhere else.

A black S class should be very easy to get as black is a common color. It should be lot easier now that you have moved on from Ruby black. It's not that you are getting the new G63 and there is a 1-2 year wait. You are getting a common car.

Also the service department doesn't care where you bought the car. None of my cars were bought from the dealership where my cars are serviced.

I have purchased many cars over years across many brands including some custom ordered AMG and it's never been this hard not it took this long o make a deal.

Good luck.
+++1
Old 10-13-2019, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by sam9187

Good luck.
None of this makes any sense. S is not a rare car, especially in black.

Remember we started this thread because the OP lost a car over $50 per month, that itself is telling.

I personally would be embarrassed to go into a dealer for three weeks without a car. Maybe they're tired of him.
aypues (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

At this point nothing can be said anymore that hasn't been already.

Hopefully the next and last post will be the OP announcing the specs of his new car...
aypues (10-13-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lost my dream S560