S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Lost my dream S560

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Wow, I just spent most of a hour reading this whole string and now feel a need to call my Dentist for a root canal so I can relax!
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
Radman991 (10-25-2019), Streamliner (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Wow, I just spent most of a hour reading this whole string and now feel a need to call my Dentist for a root canal so I can relax!
The ruby black ship has sailed, it seems. They found a black on black S560 with (most of) the specifications I wanted. First I was told it was in California and I'd have to pay the freight charge myself. After googling the vin number I learned that the vehicle was most likely in North Carolina. After pointing this out to my MB people I got a phone call back saying, "Oh yeah, it's in North Carolina, not Arizona -- we'll pay for the shipping."

I don't know where Arizona came from, but that's beside the point. Best believe I'll be getting a copy of this shipping invoice, even if it's comped!! The games never end with this place.

Anyway, it's a great looking vehicle. Definitely a far cry from ruby black with beige interior, but all black is cool too. And seriously, I can't keep dragging out this process -- or allow THEM to keep dragging it out. I need a car now, not months from now, and I'm using the GLE, which has left my wife without a car every day for two weeks (as you may recall, my car is making a funny sound when I turn, so I don't want to tempt fate by driving it. I have MB committed to the $21k and I can't mess that up.)

I am going to need to get the spoiler off before anything -- I HATE spoilers on S classes. Next you can expect a new thread from me in two weeks titled "How much does it cost to paint an S560?"

haha

Anyway, the only thing that could impede the process now is the mileage coming back as too high. I said if it's under 30 miles, I'm on board.. order it. If it's over, call me.

So anyway, s
Old 10-15-2019, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Is it regular black leather or the exclusive Nappa leather? 560 interior is leaps and bounds better with exclusive Nappa leather.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 PM

S550
Originally Posted by sam9187
Is it regular black leather or the exclusive Nappa leather? 560 interior is leaps and bounds better with exclusive Nappa leather.
yeah I know it is, but this is just regular. One of the vehicles that didn’t work out had the exclusive. Disappointing. But it’s all good.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by hundolots
yeah I know it is, but this is just regular. One of the vehicles that didn’t work out had the exclusive. Disappointing. But it’s all good.
Had to read this comment twice.
Rather than trying out the advice of many here to source the cars where they are, you rather stay with this dealer and take a car that doesn’t have the specs you want?

Impressive...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
places (10-16-2019), Streamliner (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Rather than trying out the advice of many here to source the cars where they are, you rather stay with this dealer and take a car that doesn’t have the specs you want?

Impressive...
The specs I want most, I got (except for no spoiler):

AMG lines, 20 inch multispoke AMG rims, warmth and comfort package esp. power rear seats and power shades (for my son, visiting family, clients), and a few other things.

If you read my past posts exclusive leather was never imperative on my feature wishlist. When it happened to be included on one of the previous cars that didn’t work out I said it was an unexpected plus. This still stands.

The only things I’ve compromised on are the color — which is not the end of the world, as plain black is my #2 choice — and the rear spoiler, which I can and will remove as soon as humanly possible. I don’t consider the black interior a compromise because I only wanted silk/beige with ruby. If it’s a plain black vehicle then I want either all black with poplar or porcelain black with piano. This car has the former.

It has been hard enough finding all of my desired features in a 2019, which is what I want in order to (1) maintain the discounts I’ve worked out, and (2) unload my current s class before it needs yet another repair, and it’s already creaking a lot when I turn. In fact, I’ve been driving our GLE since last week to keep everything status quo with the S550.

So in summary: I’d rather take 95% of the specs I want and have a nice, new car by the weekend than continue this search for something that, at this point, doesn’t even seem to exist.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Impressive...
Shaking my head too.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Shaking my head too.
So you'd have kept searching as the supply of 2019s dwindled until when? Until there were no cars left at all, and I would have to choose a 2020 and lose half the discounts I had been promised?

I have looked at (what feels like) every MB dealership in the country! Certainly dozens. I've spoken with many other salespeople. I've had spec sheets sent from multiple sources. I've done everything within my power to find the perfect car, but as a 2019 it's just not out there.

You people are hilarious. On the one hand, all but a few lambasted me for hanging in there to get what I really wanted... and then when I get 95% of the way there, you have yet another go at me for not getting exclusive nappa leather, which was never even on my list in the first place.

Listen, I appreciate the help that you folks have given me throughout this process, I really do. But to be honest you can't have it both ways. I'll tell you what: if Wolfman or Chucky3000 wants to pay the difference in my lease between a 2019 and a 2020, as well as my impending repair bill were I to keep driving my current S550, AND make up the difference for the drastically reduced trade-in value I would incur by doing so... then I will custom build a 2020 with the final two options I had to let go, and I'll even throw in exclusive nappa leather so everyone is happy. Deal?

Last edited by hundolots; 10-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 AM

So you'd have kept searching as the supply of 2019s dwindled until when? Until there were no cars left at all, and I would have to choose a 2020 and lose half the discounts I had been promised?
The dealer does not want to work with you. They made that pretty clear. I don't know why you need "to win" this one with them. Ego or whatever it is - you need to move on. It's like begging a girl (or guy) that you like to like you back and they just don't like you - and no amount of begging or finagling will change that reality.

You people are hilarious. On the one hand, all but a few lambasted me for hanging in to get what I really wanted... and then when I get close to it, you have yet another go at me for not getting exclusive nappa leather, which was never even on my list in the first place?
This thread is hilarious - not us. All but a few live in the real world, whatever that may be. The understanding is that after three weeks of Bull **** between you and the dealer resulted in nothing is reason enough to move on and find your dream car elsewhere, but you don't do that. You keep gnawing away at them - for some weird desire to get one over on them. They do not want to work with you - they put their cards on the table and you didn't like the numbers. This is America - move on to another dealer that will be a fresh start for the both of you.

Listen, I appreciate the help that you folks have given me throughout this process, I really do. But to be honest you can't have it BOTH WAYS. I'll tell you what: if Wolfman or Chucky3000 wants to pay the difference in my lease between a 2019 and a 2020, as well as my impending repair bill if I were to keep driving my current S550, AND the drastically reduced trade-in value I would incur by doing so... then I will custom build a 2020 with the final two options I want, and I'll even throw in exclusive leather so everyone is happy. Deal?
If you appreciated it - you wouldn't call us hilarious. Telling us that folks can't have it both ways seems rather Ironic. You came asking a serious question. Everyone opined, most along the lines of "move on". The fact that you entertain (even as a joke) that others would enter an agreement to compensate you for your lease or repair bill for you to enter into a contractual agreement with a dealership is not only idiotic or that you never intended to take the forum's advice on the subject matter seriously, but references back to my question above regarding your age, but more importantly, your level of maturity.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 PM

S550
The dealer does not want to work with you. They made that pretty clear. I don't know why you need "to win" this one with them. Ego or whatever it is - you need to move on. It's like begging a girl (or guy) that you like to like you back and they just don't like you - and no amount of begging or finagling will change that reality.

This thread is hilarious - not us. All but a few live in the real world, whatever that may be. The understanding is that after three weeks of Bull **** between you and the dealer resulted in nothing is reason enough to move on and find your dream car elsewhere, but you don't do that. You keep gnawing away at them - for some weird desire to get one over on them. They do not want to work with you - they put their cards on the table and you didn't like the numbers. This is America - move on to another dealer that will be a fresh start for the both of you.

If you appreciated it - you wouldn't call us hilarious. Telling us that folks can't have it both ways seems rather Ironic. You came asking a serious question. Everyone opined, most along the lines of "move on". The fact that you entertain (even as a joke) that others would enter an agreement to compensate you for your lease or repair bill for you to enter into a contractual agreement with a dealership is not only idiotic or that you never intended to take the forum's advice on the subject matter seriously, but references back to my question above regarding your age, but more importantly, your level of maturity.
I do appreciate the advice, and I've learned a great deal which I've applied throughout this process. So thank you all for that.

Now, "Chucky", let's be honest: you've had it out for me since your loaded question about my age; since your implication that I perhaps could not afford to drive a new S-class; and with your frankly dogged insistence that the dealership does not want to work with me. For the record: my age is none of your damn business, but I told you anyway to keep the peace. Also none of your business is my financial situation, but I have been very clear about what I can and cannot afford while balancing my other 2019-2020 commitments, auto and otherwise. Lastly, for a dealership that doesn't want to work with me, they've certainly worked hard enough to close a deal this week. I don't believe you were getting all of the details of my posts, because you missed some major points of the ongoing story. The deal is done. I'm getting the black on black car. Isn't that what you were "shaking your head" about in the first place?

Regarding my comment that you and Wolfman should pay the difference, I was being facetious (obviously) because it is frustrating to me that the same people criticize whether I move on or not. Also, what's with the repeated commentary on my maturity level? Why is this so offensive to your delicate sensibilities? Do you find that you have to steady yourself on the furniture very often? Since you get to characterize me endlessly, let me take a crack at you: In my estimation you are a dull, humorless person who thrives on passive-aggressive judgments in an attempt to level people who aren't as "dignified" as you fancy yourself to be. But, in reality, you're full of s**t. I do appreciate the time you've taken to give the advice you've given. Now, here is my advice to you, "Chucky": Lighten up. Life is short. Don't get all worked up over a stranger on the internet. And remember, I can always upgrade my car; you're probably going to be an jerk forever.

Good luck with your dad's business and your perfect car specs, buddy.

Last edited by hundolots; 10-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:38 PM

I do appreciate the advice, and I've learned a great deal which I've applied throughout this process. So thank you all for that.

Now, "Chucky", let's be honest: you've had it out for me since your loaded question about my age; since your implication that I perhaps could not afford to drive a new S-class; and with your frankly dogged insistence that the dealership does not want to work with me. For the record: my age is none of your damn business, but I told you anyway to keep the peace. Also none of your business is my financial situation, but I have been very clear about what I can and cannot afford while balancing my other 2019-2020 commitments, auto and otherwise. Lastly, for a dealership that doesn't want to work with me, they've certainly worked hard enough to close a deal this week. I don't believe you were getting all of the details of my posts, because you missed some major points of the ongoing story.

Regarding my comment that you and Wolfman should pay the difference, I was being facetious (obviously) because it is frustrating to me that the same people criticize whether I move on or not. Also, what's with the repeated commentary on my maturity level? Why is this so offensive to your delicate sensibilities? Do you find that you have to steady yourself on the furniture very often? Since you get to characterize me endlessly, let me take a crack at you: In my estimation you are a dull, humorless person who thrives on passive-aggressive judgments in an attempt to level people who aren't as "dignified" as you fancy yourself to be. But, in reality, you're full of s**t. I do appreciate the time you've taken to give the advice you've given. Now, here is my advice to you, "Chucky": Lighten up. Life is short. Don't get all worked up over a stranger on the internet.

Good luck with your dad's business and your perfect car specs, buddy.
Not worked up at all. Just callin it as i see it.

Thank you. Will take of my business too.

Www.bradleyscottny.com if youre interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chucky3000:
places (10-16-2019), Streamliner (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...

Tell us that’s your wife modeling.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 PM

S550

You are just seconds away from posting pics of your d***, aren't you? Lol. I don't care about your website, man. Come on.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Tell us that’s your wife modeling.
If it is, somebody better tell her she's wearing Spring 2017 fashions.

All levity aside, I have no interest in criticizing fellow entrepreneurs. I'm guessing all of us, or most of us, here probably own businesses in one industry or another. I applaud everyone's efforts and harbor no ill will towards anyone in regard to that stuff, especially if you've been successful enough at it to buy 6-figure vehicles.

Chucky, you seem like a very talented clothing designer. Much continued success to you.

The message board mafia crap does get tiresome, that's all. Anyway, my new S560 is on its way here from North Carolina as we speak, shipping courtesy of the dealer (thank you very much), and should be here by the weekend. I'll post some pics to end this epic thread on a positive note.

Last edited by hundolots; 10-16-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Just checking in to say holy crap- this thread is still going. Not that I'm complaining, I have used it several times to fall asleep- it works like a charm...
Old 10-16-2019, 03:22 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,852 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by emilner
Just checking in to say holy crap- this thread is still going. Not that I'm complaining, I have used it several times to fall asleep- it works like a charm...
Old 10-16-2019, 03:34 PM

S550
Imagine LIVING it!
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Soporific!!!
Old 10-16-2019, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Imagine LIVING it!
I couldn't- you are a masochist. I closed on my car over 3-4 text messages to an old contact at MB. Many other important things to do...
Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM

S550
I couldn't- you are a masochist. I closed on my car over 3-4 text messages to an old contact at MB. Many other important things to do...
It's all a matter of finding what you want and availability as it relates to that. The people I was working with are completely inept, which I didn't fully realize until the final week. Perhaps I would have been more attuned to it sooner had I not been.... doing many other important things.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
So OP started this post on the 4th which he claimed at that point he was already three weeks into this process. It's now the 16th, another 10+ days. So 4 and half weeks to secure a car with an "inept" dealership. Thats more than a month. It took the OP 4 weeks to realize the "ineptness". Curiously, could there have been more to the story? People can contract and settle on homes quicker.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Imagine going to a different 'dealer' and seeing how it's REALLY done LOL!!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM

S550
Originally Posted by places
So OP started this post on the 4th which he claimed at that point he was already three weeks into this process. It's now the 16th, another 10+ days. So 4 and half weeks to secure a car with an "inept" dealership. Thats more than a month. It took the OP 4 weeks to realize the "ineptness". Curiously, could there have been more to the story? People can contract and settle on homes quicker.
Originally, I was looking to purchase the ruby black S560 on the lot, but I wasn't 100% sold on the day I visited the car. (Is that a crime? People here act like it is.)

The following day the car unexpectedly sold.

We immediately began looking for other vehicles. The salesman said there were several other ruby black cars out there.

One by one these vehicles were presented via text or email to me, the locate process would begin, and usually 1-2 days later we'd hear back. This happened a number of times.

Each car was unavailable because it was either a demo car, modified, earmarked for someone else, or the other dealership just didn't want to part with the vehicle. None of the vehicles were so perfect that I felt inclined to reach out to the other dealerships (all out west) and lease from them directly.

After so many weeks some personal feelings entered into it, because I saw these people working hard for me and I was promised that we would find the right vehicle. I am busy running my company, and when I'm not doing that I am spending time with my wife and son, both infinitely more important than sourcing the perfect S-class. So much like you allow apps and operations to run silently in the background of your iPhone, I allowed them to continue their search and present me with prospects as each new one fell through. But like apps on an iPhone, it was draining my battery!

Trying to find a suitable 2019 rather than a 2020 did complicate the process, as did the fact that I need a car now, as my S550 is out of its warranty period and I really don't want to incur the expense of whatever is making that grinding noise. So I've retired the car for the GLE (much to my wife's daytime inconvenience) in order to not affect my trade-in value or wallet unnecessarily.

Some side notes that might be of interest: My salesperson has two days off SMACK in the middle of the week, which really did cause a lot of frustration, as I am not readily available on the weekends due to family commitments. And, frankly, I'm not going to change my actual plans so I can lollygag on my phone and computer with some potential prospects. It doesn't make sense. Also, I found out recently that there has been some serious infighting going on between sales and management. If I were more involved or concerned, one could say I got caught in the crossfire of that, but whatever. It's all semantics.

So, in the end, it was a situation where I was trying to find something that didn't exist (with most features intact) and I was dealing with people who were not firing on all cylinders when they were firing at all. I'm sure a very valid argument could be made that I should've jumped ship and gone to a different dealership, but in a strange way the search became rather addictive for everyone concerned. It was like solving a puzzle, only that puzzle wasn't any fun by the end. Either way, they did most of the grunt work, not me. My life went on as regularly scheduled without missing a beat, and I learned a lot about leasing vehicles along the way (which was also addictive!) and now there's a new S560 on its way for me. So I have no regrets....... other than the fu**ing spoiler. Getting rid of that thing is the first order of business.

Last edited by hundolots; 10-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 68 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Keep driving the 2013 S550 until next summer even id you spend some money on repairs, sell it online then place an order for the new body W223 probably coming to dealers lots late 2020 as a 2021 model by my guess.

Four year lease on an outgoing models sounds like a poor decision.

Which NY dealer were you dealing with? Most around here have 15+ S-classes in stock.

Also, keep in mind salespeople want to close fairly quick and with a real buyer/decision maker. Don’t think there are salespeople in the background working all day trying to secure a car for you. Better use of their time can be used on real deals in front of them, not a promise to buy if they locate your dream car.

If you still insist on getting a car now, best bet is to order and waiting the 2-3 months.

Last edited by SB_NYC; 10-16-2019 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 PM

S550

This dealership I don't want to specify by name since I've criticized them very heavily here (I will PM you the name if you want), but I will say they have eight S450s in stock, one S560 (Which I know sold last week, because I offered to buy it! ... they still haven't take it down, which is just them in a nutshell, really) and they also have two S560 coupes. I didn't want a 2020 for previously stated reasons, but those are now trickling in -- again, all 450s. Six of 'em. And 450s don't count.

Regarding your idea about the 2013 S550, that was actually my plan until one month ago. However, I don't know how many repairs I will have to incur in the interim year, and it could end up being excessive. The suspension alone needed work twice in two years. Plus lots of other issues. Furthermore -- and this may ruffle some feathers -- I don't think the W223 looks good based on the renderings. Now, of course they're just renderings, but they can be very accurate! I don't even think the W222 hit its stride until the facelift a few years ago. Which brings me to my next point: I also don't want the first or even second year of the W223 if I do it at all. Granted, this lease won't end by mid-cycle facelift time, but at least there will be 3 years to work out the inevitable kinks.

I'm sure 5-7 years from now we'll all be saying the W223 is a work of art, but I'm just not into it yet. I like having the final year or penultimate year of a cycle, because that's when it's naturally at its best. I remember when I bought my 2013 it was summertime (2014) and the new generation had come out not too long before that. I was very tempted at the time, based on the interior and the tech, but through the entire time I'd driven my E350 (2 year lease) I'd romanced the W221 and set it as a goal for myself. So, ultimately, I went with the car I'd fallen in love with, nearly fully loaded, final year of the W221 cycle --- rather than get a 2014 S550. And I am glad I did that. Plus now I have over 20 grand equity in this car.

Regarding your comments about salespeople wanting to make a deal with decision makers. Well, I made a decision: I didn't buy the car that day. Because I was not ready and, frankly, the Sales 101 tactics they employ are just tiresome. The car ended up selling the very next morning -- you win some, you lose some. The craziness of this situation began when we all started trying to recreate the sold car from a dwindling supply of 2019s that kept turning up duds, if anything. The craziness stopped when I insisted we move on from the futile exercise. For the record, I had one of those "I only want you to get a car if you're 100% happy with it" type salespeople who'd only been there for 8 months and probably won't last. That goes double since I found out about the in-fighting. Some of the other sales associates I've dealt with at that branch would've had me closed and driving off in a new car before I knew what hit me.

I've attached a pic of my current S550 btw. It's going to be hard saying goodbye, that's for sure. But we can't get emotionally attached to these things, can we? The W221 really was a work of art. I really wish the rear end of the W222 were more an extension of the W221's concept. MB was really onto something there. Until the triple eyebrow and nicer grille on the W222 I used to say the front was the weakest link, but now I believe it to be the rear. It looks a little basic, but hopefully over time I'll feel differently about that. The rest of the late generation W222 is a stunner!!

Last edited by hundolots; 10-16-2019 at 09:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lost my dream S560