S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Rim cracked...anyone else with these issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by 1bad540
I dont think u can go down to 18" w a sport package. y take the 19" off?
I cracked one rim a few months ago on a road trip and I noticed that the big car hits some of the road imperfections really hard. I spoke to the Benz Dealership today after getting my annual inspection completed and they didn't say you couldn't do it they just said why would you want to spend so much money doing it. Let me do some more research on it! Thanks much.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
If it’s the standard inner rim crack, any decent wheel shop can repair it for you for 150 to 200 dollars. My personal limit on passenger wheel size is 19”. You are begging for cracks on these modern huge wheels. In old says, the rims would just bend with impact at a pothole. With brittle aluminum alloys, the rims just crack.

If you love huge wheels and this is a recurring problem, I strongly recommend buying an extra identical wheel on eBay and mounting a tire for back-up. My wheel shop gives me a loaner wheel/tire during the several days the wheel is in the shop.

Last edited by bkdc; 11-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by bkdc
If it’s the standard inner rim crack, any decent wheel shop can repair it for you for 150 to 200 dollars. My personal limit on passenger wheel size is 19”. You are begging for cracks on these modern huge wheels. In old says, the rims would just bend with impact at a pothole. With brittle aluminum alloys, the rims just crack.

If you love huge wheels and this is a recurring problem, I strongly recommend buying an extra identical wheel on eBay and mounting a tire for back-up. My wheel shop gives me a loaner wheel/tire during the several days the wheel is in the shop.
Once again I just have to say it: IS THIS NOT INSANE??? $100K+, top-of-the-line, ultra luxury sedans, from what is arguably “THE” most respected automobile manufacturer in the world, and here we are talking about buying back-up wheels on eBay! These cars should come with wheels that don’t crack every time somebody hits a beer can. They should come with compliant tires that have sidewalls deep enough to absorb most impacts and these huge, FUxKING saloons should come standard with full size, matching spares, housed UNDER the trunk floor. GD-MF bean counters and “performance engineers.” They can kiss my ***! Sorry. Got a little carried away. Here’s a photo of the compact spare I carry in my S560, that takes up a huge portion of the already skimpy trunk.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by bkdc

I've done that! But why would I want to keep doing that? One of the reasons why i'm trying to see if I can go down to 18". I know i'll find someone who would buy my 19's with the tires as a set in a heart beat so that would offset much of the new purchase and should avoid getting cracked rims over and over.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Once again I just have to say it: IS THIS NOT INSANE??? $100K+, top-of-the-line, ultra luxury sedans, from what is arguably “THE” most respected automobile manufacturer in the world, and here we are talking about buying back-up wheels on eBay! These cars should come with wheels that don’t crack every time somebody hits a beer can. They should come with compliant tires that have sidewalls deep enough to absorb most impacts and these huge, FUxKING saloons should come standard with full size, matching spares, housed UNDER the trunk floor. GD-MF bean counters and “performance engineers.” They can kiss my ***! Sorry. Got a little carried away. Here’s a photo of the compact spare I carry in my S560, that takes up a huge portion of the already skimpy trunk.

That's just what my trunk looks like right now!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by Prochambers
Have any of you ever purchased from this website? Alloy Wheels Direct

"If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!"

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Originally Posted by Streamliner

My trunk looks the same, but I do follow the 50mph rule on the spare which is why my wheel guy loans me a full size spare so I can go full highway speed.

My S class has the sport package so 19 is the smallest my wheels can go.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 s550
Hello, Just saw your post. I also have a 2015 SClass. Recently replaced all 4 tires and the dealer told me 3 of my rims were cracked. Just checking to see what you eventually ended up doing about yours. I.e did you repair or replace?