S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

FINALLY fixed the common TRANSMISSION rough up/down shifting in W222!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass
I'm personally still fighting this as well. It's only gotten worse. Feels like the engine is going to fall out of my car.
Wow, thats depressing in such a otherwise good car. Need to get Corporate involved I guess. I'm hoping my 9 speed does not continue to get worse, it's no where's near as bad as my 2015 7 speed was.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550
Love my car but have the same issue on a 2015! Ive talked to my service advisor and corporate and everyone keeps telling me to wait for the software update. anyone know when it is planned to be released? I read previously January 2020?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
S 550 AMG Sport Package
Does Dealership Reply Contradict Most Everything on this Thread?

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Membership FYI - speak with shop foreman, who will/should normally check for upgrades, and request “forced adaptation”:

I provided a screen shot of above to my favorite dealership and here is their reply:

"Good morning. Sorry for the delay. Below is what my shop foreman responded back to me on the email, you had sent.

What this document does not show you is the history that we have encountered while performing this forced adaptation . I have performed many of these “forced adaptations” and most of the time the adaptations are unsuccessful in that the adaptations do not improve and you actually wind up with more undesirable numbers than you started with. The transmission engineer for the USA is Sergio Akusha. I have worked together with him on multiple PTSS cases for this exact issue . We have replaced transmissions, flashed software, removed and replaced transmission internal transmission components, replaced ME modules, all without improving this condition. The issue is not transmission related but the torque calculation between the engine control module and the information that it provides to the transmission to perform the best shift for ambient conditions. This statement is known by Cory Sarver , Sergio, Germany as well as others that have fought this issue along with much finger pointing back and forth between German transmission vs engine engineers that each say that it is the others problem. The latest information is … Germany has developed the software to correct this condition however it has not been certified for application, this is more than likely due to emissions certification. It is very easy to copy / paste / highlight / and comment on technical issues in an email with limited information however there is much more to this than meets the eye. I have reviewed the shift adaptation values for this vehicle that were retrieved on 1-6-2020 and the adaptation values for shift member B-2 are as follows: 11.5, 12.0 and 6.0. These three numbers represent low, moderate and high temperature ranges. These adaptation numbers are a typical for this shift member and actually not as high as usually seen. The low value of 11.5 is actually good comparatively speaking regarding other like models. If this client insists that we do a “forced“ adaptation the results are typically that the 11.5 value will trend to 15.0 – 17.0. This is a very undesirable outcome resulting in a more harsh shift than was present before and cannot be adapted back to the lower number!

I do not recommend this procedure. I have reviewed the LI document on this subject this morning and the cause is still listed as “uncertain” with no remedy listed. "
Regards

The following 2 users liked this post by MichaelinATL:
Bart-N3GQ (04-29-2021), C Swenson (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by MichaelinATL
I provided a screen shot of above to my favorite dealership and here is their reply:

"Good morning. Sorry for the delay. Below is what my shop foreman responded back to me on the email, you had sent.

What this document does not show you is the history that we have encountered while performing this forced adaptation . I have performed many of these “forced adaptations” and most of the time the adaptations are unsuccessful in that the adaptations do not improve and you actually wind up with more undesirable numbers than you started with. The transmission engineer for the USA is Sergio Akusha. I have worked together with him on multiple PTSS cases for this exact issue . We have replaced transmissions, flashed software, removed and replaced transmission internal transmission components, replaced ME modules, all without improving this condition. The issue is not transmission related but the torque calculation between the engine control module and the information that it provides to the transmission to perform the best shift for ambient conditions. This statement is known by Cory Sarver , Sergio, Germany as well as others that have fought this issue along with much finger pointing back and forth between German transmission vs engine engineers that each say that it is the others problem. The latest information is … Germany has developed the software to correct this condition however it has not been certified for application, this is more than likely due to emissions certification. It is very easy to copy / paste / highlight / and comment on technical issues in an email with limited information however there is much more to this than meets the eye. I have reviewed the shift adaptation values for this vehicle that were retrieved on 1-6-2020 and the adaptation values for shift member B-2 are as follows: 11.5, 12.0 and 6.0. These three numbers represent low, moderate and high temperature ranges. These adaptation numbers are a typical for this shift member and actually not as high as usually seen. The low value of 11.5 is actually good comparatively speaking regarding other like models. If this client insists that we do a “forced“ adaptation the results are typically that the 11.5 value will trend to 15.0 – 17.0. This is a very undesirable outcome resulting in a more harsh shift than was present before and cannot be adapted back to the lower number!

I do not recommend this procedure. I have reviewed the LI document on this subject this morning and the cause is still listed as “uncertain” with no remedy listed. "
Regards
Well thank you for the clarification from whoever this bro is. As an aside, I escalated my issue with MBUSA and they called me last Wednesday. I can confirm what is listed above is accurate. The software application is ready to roll but is under review by whoever in the US owns emissions...
Old 02-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Well it seems the ball is rolling ...and why, because informed owners are raising questions supported by accurate, correct info provided here.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (02-21-2023)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:25 PM

2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Well it seems the ball is rolling ...and why, because informed owners are raising questions supported by accurate, correct info provided here.
Hell yes. This forum is fantastic. Kudos to everyone chiming in
Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 379 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Hell yes. This forum is fantastic. Kudos to everyone chiming in
Awesome
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 978 Likes on 716 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MichaelinATL

Regards

You all might think this strange I find this kind of response somewhat comforting in that there is complete and forthright discussion of the problem and communication with the transmission engineering staff. It makes sense that they can't just roll out a software upgrade due to emissions certification requirements.
Additionally it echos what my indy has told me when I inquired regarding having the transmission shift quality improved via road test adaptations.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
MichaelinATL (02-03-2020), Nice Ride (02-21-2023)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:02 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
I took mine in on Tuesday for a rough 5 > 4 downshift while cold. They are replacing the conductor plate.
They did say the technician spent most of the day on the line with someone doing tests and troubleshooting. I"m not sure what they were seeing because the rough shift only happened when the car was cold and was only bad on really cold mornings. It's been kinda warm lately. Maybe there is some history in there of shifts?
HYounan (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550
Please update us on repair
Old 03-15-2020, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 248 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Curious about the mention of emissions compliance being needed for a software change to an existing car ... why would this be an issue? I could see if it were used on new production cars for the current model year, then the manufacturer's certification might conceivably be affected.

But in a repair situation, who would know the difference? When an ODB-II car is inspected annually for "emissions", all that's actually checked is that specific factory-equipped components (e.g. catalysts) are present and have no stored error codes. So a small change to transmission shift parameters couldn't possibly make a car fail in that context.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 978 Likes on 716 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
Curious about the mention of emissions compliance being needed for a software change to an existing car ... why would this be an issue? I could see if it were used on new production cars for the current model year, then the manufacturer's certification might conceivably be affected.

But in a repair situation, who would know the difference? When an ODB-II car is inspected annually for "emissions", all that's actually checked is that specific factory-equipped components (e.g. catalysts) are present and have no stored error codes. So a small change to transmission shift parameters couldn't possibly make a car fail in that context.
Any modifications would need to result in the car staying within it original emissions certification requirements. Any deviation outside of that the manufacturer would need to report to the certifying agencies and seek a waver.
dark_cls550 (04-30-2022)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 248 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
That's surprising to hear. How far back does this obligation go? If Mercedes made a software change for ten year old cars, would they have report a deviation to the certifying agency and seek a waiver?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:24 PM

The 2020 transmission update is being installed in my car right now, I will let you all know how it works (2015 S550).
The following 3 users liked this post by tkelley.EClass:
C Swenson (04-09-2020), Phillyfinest (04-10-2020), Siegmann (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
The 2020 transmission update is being installed in my car right now, I will let you all know how it works (2015 S550).
can you reference the update number, serial number or any ID for that software so we can also reference it when speaking with our local MB dealership. Personally I am not going to risk downloading anything because what they did for me last year around sept. or october works as smooth as butter so far, but who knows what could happen anytime...
Old 04-10-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by S_W222
can you reference the update number, serial number or any ID for that software so we can also reference it when speaking with our local MB dealership. Personally I am not going to risk downloading anything because what they did for me last year around sept. or october works as smooth as butter so far, but who knows what could happen anytime...
Totally, I'll get all the information and will share back here as soon as its ready for pickup. Fingers crossed for buttery smooth transmission...
Old 04-13-2020, 04:13 PM

Picked up the car today. Skeleton crew right now for COVID so I was in and out. I looked at the document the tech provided and did not see any details surrounding the transmission update then asked if he could provide anything. He said he would have to grab the engineer for details as it was not in front of him. He left for 5 minutes and came back saying that the guy was busy but he'll try to email me something. Sorry this is not much help. The update seems to have worked for now, I drove around for 10 minutes or so then went home. I purposely tried to recreate the rough 5th to 4th downshift and its gone, for now. Time will tell I suppose, more to come.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Picked up the car today. Skeleton crew right now for COVID so I was in and out. I looked at the document the tech provided and did not see any details surrounding the transmission update then asked if he could provide anything. He said he would have to grab the engineer for details as it was not in front of him. He left for 5 minutes and came back saying that the guy was busy but he'll try to email me something. Sorry this is not much help. The update seems to have worked for now, I drove around for 10 minutes or so then went home. I purposely tried to recreate the rough 5th to 4th downshift and its gone, for now. Time will tell I suppose, more to come.
What was the cost, or did you get it done under warranty? I’m out of warranty so wondering?

thanks..
Old 04-13-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Phillyfinest
What was the cost, or did you get it done under warranty? I’m out of warranty so wondering?

thanks..
CPO covered it along with a COMAND update that actually did something noticeable (added speed).
Phillyfinest (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
CPO covered it along with a COMAND update that actually did something noticeable (added speed).
Are you able to elaborate more on the Command Update Speed? Was it a problem before or did they just apply it because it is a listed update?
Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Are you able to elaborate more on the Command Update Speed? Was it a problem before or did they just apply it because it is a listed update?
Thanks!
I complained about the speed and it seems to be better now by maybe a second or two when flipping between certain screens.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I complained about the speed and it seems to be better now by maybe a second or two when flipping between certain screens.
Wow!, if it's better by 1-2 seconds, this means it used to take at least 3 seconds between windows!. In my case it doesn't take more than a second anyway to flip from one window to another, that's interesting, I wonder what could cause the system to slow down knowing it's a simple software and there should be nothing causing it to slow down.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
2015 S550 4M. I printed this message out and took it to my dealer this week. I had reported this issue a year ago. They supposedly updated the software, but no help. Well, this time, the tech experienced the issue ( had to leave it overnight because the shift is worse when cold). They said there was new soft ware, they loaded it, then did dynamic shift calibration. It is a totally different car now. Why it took this long to identify this fix is beyond me, but I love the upgrade. Thanks for the post!
Phillyfinest (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by AbbyKay
2015 S550 4M. I printed this message out and took it to my dealer this week. I had reported this issue a year ago. They supposedly updated the software, but no help. Well, this time, the tech experienced the issue ( had to leave it overnight because the shift is worse when cold). They said there was new soft ware, they loaded it, then did dynamic shift calibration. It is a totally different car now. Why it took this long to identify this fix is beyond me, but I love the upgrade. Thanks for the post!
Was it done under warranty, or did you have to pay?
Old 04-18-2020, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
I had mine updated late last year. It seems much better. Not sure how this "2020" update differs. I am under warranty, so if it worsens, ill just take it back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FINALLY fixed the common TRANSMISSION rough up/down shifting in W222!!!!!!!