S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Dash Cam Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Dash Cam Installation

Does anyone have a dash cam installed on their w222, specifically 2018 or newer? I'd like to be able to run one in my car with the wires hidden. Is this difficult to do on your own? Has anyone here done it themselves? I've seen posts about running radar detector wires, so I imagine it must be similar. Just curious if this is something I can do fairly easily at home without taking it to an installer.

Thanks for any response!
The following users liked this post:
mcotten (12-25-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
I installed my own but I have a 2015.
I have a Thinkware Pro. Installing Blackvue would be identical.
Add-a-fuse tapped into the fuse box in the right side of the trunk with Cellink NEO sitting in the trunk space. The fuse selected was he 10 amp cigarette lighter fuse.
Power cable passes into the trunk under the fold-down arm rest. I have a executive rear seating package.
The cable to the rear camera runs across the the top
mcotten (12-25-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Just take it to Best Buy. They will do the entire install for $50. $100 if you do a front and separate rear camera. You don't even have to buy the Dash Cam from Best Buy. I have had Best Buy install F&R cameras on all three of our cars. No visible wiring and everything works perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by fun33:
mcotten (12-25-2019), RoseyPSU (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
W222 Sclass
I installed both front & rear blackvue cameras in my W222 myself last year. I went with a separate battery pack (for parking mode) as supplied by blackvue. I didnt like the idea of messing with the fuse box so mine plugs into the 12volt socket in the trunk to charge the battery.

Heres what i have:

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic...attery-b-124x/

Running the wires was really easy except for getting the wire into the trunk to the battery pack. Actually I had called a professional installer in my area and once I said it was a Mercedes he refused to do the job for this very reason... he said it could take him hours to get into the trunk.

So I ran the wire in the trim just above the front & rear door down the back of the rear C-Pillar and then just behind the rear seats into the center where I managed to get it into the opening behind the rear seat armrest into the trunk. I tried many other methods but this was the only way I could get into the trunk.

One additional things I added:

Blackvue don’t have an on/off button on the camera itself, and I didnt want to be pulling out the wire from the front camera every time as I could damage the connection.

when I park my car in the garage I didnt want it recording nothing every time until the battery pack runs out (18hrs recording time), so I added an on/off switch just under the dash near the OBD II port. This should also help the lifespan of the battery pack.
RoseyPSU (11-15-2019)