Caught between 2 dealerships

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS450
Caught between 2 dealerships

Hello,
I was hoping someone on this forum has encountered the situation below and could provide advice on the best course of action.

I purchased a 2015 S550 in July of this year. The car so far has been perfect and I am really liking the switch from Lexus to Mercedes. I recently got the car serviced under the maintenance plan and a 60K service was completed. Atlanta Classic Cars (ACC) stated they don’t see a spark plug replacement in the car’s service history. The service advisor stated that the technician could not determine if the spark plugs were replaced at or around the 50K service. He instructed me to contact the dealership where I purchased the car (Mercedes Benz of Dothan) about if spark plugs were changed at or around 50K miles or during the CPO process. ACC is saying they can’t replace the spark plugs under the prepaid maintenance plan since it’s now beyond 50K miles and a 60K service needed to been done. The prepaid maintenance system would reject this service under the prepaid maintenance plan and I would have to pay out of pocket the $700 plus dollars to get this service done. So, I plan on contacting the selling dealership this morning to see if the spark plugs were replaced. And, if not what can be done to make this situation right? I don’t believe I should have to pay the out of pocket expense for this service since this was the reason I purchased the prepaid maintenance plan in the first place. I’m also not sure if ACC is gaming the system or not, trying to avoid covering the additional expense to perform the spark plug service. Hopefully the service has already been completed and all is good, but if not what should I do? If I need to escalate to Mercedes Benz, I can but want to avoid exerting unnecessary energy in getting this resolved.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 714 Likes on 462 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Newbie2015
Hello,
I was hoping someone on this forum has encountered the situation below and could provide advice on the best course of action.

I purchased a 2015 S550 in July of this year. The car so far has been perfect and I am really liking the switch from Lexus to Mercedes. I recently got the car serviced under the maintenance plan and a 60K service was completed. Atlanta Classic Cars (ACC) stated they don’t see a spark plug replacement in the car’s service history. The service advisor stated that the technician could not determine if the spark plugs were replaced at or around the 50K service. He instructed me to contact the dealership where I purchased the car (Mercedes Benz of Dothan) about if spark plugs were changed at or around 50K miles or during the CPO process. ACC is saying they can’t replace the spark plugs under the prepaid maintenance plan since it’s now beyond 50K miles and a 60K service needed to been done. The prepaid maintenance system would reject this service under the prepaid maintenance plan and I would have to pay out of pocket the $700 plus dollars to get this service done. So, I plan on contacting the selling dealership this morning to see if the spark plugs were replaced. And, if not what can be done to make this situation right? I don’t believe I should have to pay the out of pocket expense for this service since this was the reason I purchased the prepaid maintenance plan in the first place. I’m also not sure if ACC is gaming the system or not, trying to avoid covering the additional expense to perform the spark plug service. Hopefully the service has already been completed and all is good, but if not what should I do? If I need to escalate to Mercedes Benz, I can but want to avoid exerting unnecessary energy in getting this resolved.
One approach that I found very useful when you end-up with things that don't make sense (as in the case above) is to always try to change the SA (service advisor) and talk to another one, or even talk to service manager. Especially in case when they blame the system... there is always a way to do it if it's due to system. Honestly they should have taken the care, started the services without the system and work on the stupid system in parallel. They should have also called the other locations and inquired about the previous history (it doesn't matter anyway if it was services or not, you've prepaid for the UPCOMING service to be completed regardless if the history.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
A key question is: Did the selling dealer represent or imply that all scheduled services had been performed? I am not familiar with the MB CPO process, but I would assume a box to check is that all recommenced/scheduled services had been performed.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:02 PM

CLS450
My understanding of the CPO process is that they are supposed to perform all recommended and needed services to CPO the car.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:04 PM

CLS450
SO I have surprising news. I emailed the selling dealership with my issue and the salesperson checked with the technician who CPO'd the car. The technician confirmed that the spark plugs were not changed and they are going to reimburse me for the repair. So all is well and went much easier than I thought.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (11-22-2019)