S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S-class climate control is needlessly complicated and has always bothered me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
S-class climate control is needlessly complicated and has always bothered me.

Does anyone else find it frustrating that there is no more "off" button for climate control in the W222? I will never fully understand the logic behind MB's S-class climate control choices in general, but an OFF button seems like it should be a given -- as it was on the W222.

I know I'm supposed to just lower the strength of the airflow until it hits zero, but being able to hit an independent, dedicated button was nice. If you're familiar with the RR Ghost (and I assume all RRs) they use a simple blue-to-red gradient dial with a few buttons. I love that simplicity and the fact that RR knows not to complicate it. I feel like I'm entering appointments into my iPhone when I've set the temp in my S-classes over the years. It's needlessly complicated. I also feel that if they insist on making it button-combo driven, at least give us some memory slots for climate presets. Something like that is infinitely more useful to most than remembering one's favorite ambient lighting selections or massage style (both are presets I love btw, I'm just talking about necessity).

Maybe someone can answer this: When would I ever use cold air conditioned air without pressing the AC button? What is the purpose of being able to make it 60 degrees in "AC OFF" mode? Conversely, why would I ever want it to be 84+ in AC mode? I'm sure there's a meaning behind this that I've always missed, but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Presets, though. I really hope the W223 fixes this major inconvenience. Fumbling with little buttons and numbers while driving is just as dangerous as texting while driving. It would be in MB's best interest to simplify this either with presets or a RR-style hot-cold dial.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Talking

Originally Posted by hundolots
Does anyone else find it frustrating that there is no more "off" button for climate control in the W222? I will never fully understand the logic behind MB's S-class climate control choices in general, but an OFF button seems like it should be a given -- as it was on the W222.

I know I'm supposed to just lower the strength of the airflow until it hits zero, but being able to hit an independent, dedicated button was nice. If you're familiar with the RR Ghost (and I assume all RRs) they use a simple blue-to-red gradient dial with a few buttons. I love that simplicity and the fact that RR knows not to complicate it. I feel like I'm entering appointments into my iPhone when I've set the temp in my S-classes over the years. It's needlessly complicated. I also feel that if they insist on making it button-combo driven, at least give us some memory slots for climate presets. Something like that is infinitely more useful to most than remembering one's favorite ambient lighting selections or massage style (both are presets I love btw, I'm just talking about necessity).

Maybe someone can answer this: When would I ever use cold air conditioned air without pressing the AC button? What is the purpose of being able to make it 60 degrees in "AC OFF" mode? Conversely, why would I ever want it to be 84+ in AC mode? I'm sure there's a meaning behind this that I've always missed, but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Presets, though. I really hope the W223 fixes this major inconvenience. Fumbling with little buttons and numbers while driving is just as dangerous as texting while driving. It would be in MB's best interest to simplify this either with presets or a RR-style hot-cold dial.

I guess one of the reasons the AC is on is to remove Humidity. Even if it winter and snowing, you will have extreme amounts of moisture that would fog the interior glass. The A/C will remove the extra moisture. Same in heating mode,
Quick Tip: If you turn on Heated Seats, you can also turn on the Cool Function. You now get a comfortable heated dehumidified bottom....

My issue that I hate is, if the passenger sets the temp up or down, it will remain like that until you go into settings and choose Sync. Ya think that they can tie the logic into the seatbelt function that when no occupants in the front or rear seats and car is started, it will automatically SYNC. I sure this could be a reason people are unhappy with heating and cooling.... Nothing like the wife always having it at 80 for passenger and I like 70. I think it actually started to snow one day in the middle of the car when the Hot Front met the Cold Front...
Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I guess one of the reasons the AC is on is to remove Humidity. Even if it winter and snowing, you will have extreme amounts of moisture that would fog the interior glass. The A/C will remove the extra moisture. Same in heating mode,
Quick Tip: If you turn on Heated Seats, you can also turn on the Cool Function. You now get a comfortable heated dehumidified bottom....

My issue that I hate is, if the passenger sets the temp up or down, it will remain like that until you go into settings and choose Sync. Ya think that they can tie the logic into the seatbelt function that when no occupants in the front or rear seats and car is started, it will automatically SYNC. I sure this could be a reason people are unhappy with heating and cooling.... Nothing like the wife always having it at 80 for passenger and I like 70. I think it actually started to snow one day in the middle of the car when the Hot Front met the Cold Front...
hahaha. That’s so funny, I actually joke to my wife all the time that we’re going to start hurricanes inside the car from all the climate fluctuations. Whatever the weather, we like the absolute opposite of each other. Y’know, sometimes I think women do that on purpose!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by hundolots
hahaha. That’s so funny, I actually joke to my wife all the time that we’re going to start hurricanes inside the car from all the climate fluctuations. Whatever the weather, we like the absolute opposite of each other. Y’know, sometimes I think women do that on purpose!
Then again, the Hot Front / Cold front thing also happens in bed sometimes, that's one thing I cant blame on MB.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:47 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Then again, the Hot Front / Cold front thing also happens in bed sometimes, that's one thing I cant blame on MB.
Ha!!! Ain’t that the truth.