Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Which do you buy?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 405 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
let’s be honest, and I know many people here would disagree with me, But the huge difference in price really doesn’t worth it! The two cars somewhat look the same and they both drive like a dream and difference between the two doesn’t really justify the price difference.
unless paying an extra 60K is no big deal for you, i’d go for the 2014 $48K one assuming it’s in excellent condition
Old 11-23-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I would get the 2014. Make sure they put new rotors and pads on it and get you a very long warranty. The 2018, even though only has 6,000 miles on it, would only be worth about $70,000 at wholesale. I agree with Rami aseed. There is not a big difference in the two cars except for the fact that you won't be sitting in a puddle of underwater equity issues with the 2014.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Rami_saeed
let’s be honest, and I know many people here would disagree with me, But the huge difference in price really doesn’t worth it! The two cars somewhat look the same and they both drive like a dream and difference between the two doesn’t really justify the price difference.
unless paying an extra 60K is no big deal for you, i’d go for the 2014 $48K one assuming it’s in excellent condition
Hands down a 2018 S63 is much more refined in the driving over the 2014. Very noticeable difference to me as I have driven both extensively and own a ‘19 S63 AMG (‘18 and ‘19 are the same except for the dreaded check engine light problem on the ‘18). This particular ‘18 has a lemon/buyback title. I don’t know if this one had the issue of the Check Engine Light that the ‘18s were having but even so personally I would not buy a car that has a lemon/buyback title but that is just me.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Hands down a 2018 S63 is much more refined in the driving over the 2014. Very noticeable difference to me as I have driven both extensively and own a ‘19 S63 AMG (‘18 and ‘19 are the same except for the dreaded check engine light problem on the ‘18). This particular ‘18 has a lemon/buyback title. I don’t know if this one had the issue of the Check Engine Light that the ‘18s were having but even so personally I would not buy a car that has a lemon/buyback title but that is just me.
as I mentioned, and that what I expected, only the owners of 18-19 models would disagree. I understand that sometimes people fall in love with what they own, but honestly that still doesn’t mean that the difference in price worth that difference in driving experience. As far as exterior, certainty the difference in appearance is too small and doesn’t even worth it, but drive quality of 14-17 is just so damn good. 18-19 drives smoother but certainly doesn’t worth the difference (unless that $ difference is nothing for u)
Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
as I mentioned, and that what I expected, only the owners of 18-19 models would disagree. I understand that sometimes people fall in love with what they own, but honestly that still doesn’t mean that the difference in price worth that difference in driving experience. As far as exterior, certainty the difference in appearance is too small and doesn’t even worth it, but drive quality of 14-17 is just so damn good. 18-19 drives smoother but certainly doesn’t worth the difference (unless that $ difference is nothing for u)
Right but everyone has personal judgements. This is just too funny. Maybe one should just own a used S550/S560 instead of an S63 because there is not that much difference and the price differential is to great (not my opinion but that this would follow your logic). Or maybe a Yugo would be much better because it is cheaper. You have gone down a very slippery slope because people have different financial situations and different judgements.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Looking at OPs post and the comments from posters lead me to answer for the OP that I would not buy either of these cars. The ‘18 is a lemon/buyback car and it appears that the second one is as well but I can’t seem to confirm it except that the dealer selling these cars appears to specialize in selling lemon/buyback cars. Again this is a personal judgement and I assume someone will buy a lemon/buyback car but not me at any price. Below are a couple of ‘14 S63s being sold as CPO cars. It is important to make sure either car has new brakes as replacing brakes and rotors on these two cars will run about $7,000 if done at a dealer.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right but everyone has personal judgements. This is just too funny. Maybe one should just own a used S550/S560 instead of an S63 because there is not that much difference and the price differential is to great (not my opinion but that this would follow your logic). Or maybe a Yugo would be much better because it is cheaper. You have gone down a very slippery slope because people have different financial situations and different judgements.
Each person has his right to spend his money however he likes. The original post asked us for OUR opinion and I shared my opinion. I would NOT pay (110K) 60K MORE to get that 2018 car if I can get the 2014-2015 for 48K. In my opinion, it’s a wrong financial decision for those who don’t keep their cars for 7-8 years or more. Again, my personal opinion only. 60K more for a car that to me drives and looks somewhat very similar is not worth it for me (again my personal opinion)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Each person has his right to spend his money however he likes. The original post asked us for OUR opinion and I shared my opinion. I would NOT pay (110K) 60K MORE to get that 2018 car if I can get the 2014-2015 for 48K. In my opinion, it’s a wrong financial decision for those who don’t keep their cars for 7-8 years or more. Again, my personal opinion only. 60K more for a car that to me drives and looks somewhat very similar is not worth it for me (again my personal opinion)
Are you ok paying $7,000 for brakes and rotors on these two cars (S63) or would you rather pay $2,000 on brakes/rotors on an S550/S450/S560? I am curious as you seem to have a strong opinion about cost on these cars. Interesting conversation since I have spent my entire career counseling people on financial decisions like these.

Also are you ok buying a lemon/buyback as this would clearly be the deciding factor for most people? You seem to be so focused on the money aspect that you have failed to raise the issue of lemon cars. The OP asked which to buy. I know you said you assumed in good condition but the ‘14 could be in good condition at the asked for price. So I assume you would buy the lemon at the ask for price if it is in good condition or would you change your thoughts to not buying either if they are both lemon/buyback titles?
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you ok paying $7,000 for brakes and rotors on these two cars (S63) or would you rather pay $2,000 on brakes/rotors on an S550/S450/S560? I am curious as you seem to have a strong opinion about cost on these cars. Interesting conversation since I have spent my entire career counseling people on financial decisions like these.

Also are you ok buying a lemon/buyback as this would clearly be the deciding factor for most people? You seem to be so focused on the money aspect that you have failed to raise the issue of lemon cars. The OP asked which to buy. I know you said you assumed in good condition but the ‘14 could be in good condition at the asked for price. So I assume you would buy the lemon at the ask for price if it is in good condition or would you change your thoughts to not buying either if they are both lemon/buyback titles?
read his post again, he is clearly asking WHICH ONE to buy, not whether he should be any of them or not, so am simply answering his question comparing these TWO options that are in his post only not the other 1 million cars on the market.
secondly, if you ask me, yes am okay with buying lemon/buyback cause I own 50% of a car shop so i my repair cost are minimal secondly i mentioned in my post that am assuming both cars are in great conditions. I also keep my cars so am okay with it as long as car has no problem. These car might have had a previous problem with a trunk or something simple (not necessarily engine or transmission issue) and u can always ask (again, OP asked for our opinion between the two cars not other cars). I focused on the money factor and model cause these are the main two differences between the two cars while lemon/buyback is common between them so need to waste time on discussing it with the PO cause they are both the same considering this factor. OP is smart enough to add a 3rd car if he wants an advice on lemon/buyback vs not. Read the title of the post again!!!! He wants the user opinion on choosing one between these two cars specifically

Old 11-23-2019, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
read his post again, he is clearly asking WHICH ONE to buy, not whether he should be any of them or not, so am simply answering his question comparing these TWO options that are in his post only not the other 1 million cars on the market.
secondly, if you ask me, yes am okay with buying lemon/buyback cause I own 50% of a car shop so i my repair cost are minimal secondly i mentioned in my post that am assuming both cars are in great conditions. I also keep my cars so am okay with it as long as car has no problem. These car might have had a previous problem with a trunk or something simple (not necessarily engine or transmission issue) and u can always ask (again, OP asked for our opinion between the two cars not other cars). I focused on the money factor and model cause these are the main two differences between the two cars while lemon/buyback is common between them so need to waste time on discussing it with the PO cause they are both the same considering this factor. OP is smart enough to add a 3rd car if he wants an advice on lemon/buyback vs not. Read the title of the post again!!!! He wants the user opinion on choosing one between these two cars specifically
Thanks for your post! Useful information to understand where you are coming from.

The interesting thing about the question is that the poster asked which one to buy but not why. Many people focus on the money aspect and not the difference in the cars. I was trying to focus more on the cars. The ‘18 and ‘19 IMHO are completely different than the ‘14-‘17. AMG spent a ton of money reworking the rear subframe for the ‘18 year and the engine and transmission are an absolute dream on the ‘18 and ‘19. Yes this may not be worth it for many people financial but for someone like me that was looking for the perfect balance with performance and luxury the ‘18 and ‘19 are in a different league over the ‘14-‘17 (IMHO).

I was trying to stay away from the money aspect since my career has taught me over the years many people get emotionally wrapped up in cars and money talk and want to flex their muscles in talking about money. I am a CPA/financial advisor with a law degree. I have spent my career discussing these points with clients.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The answer is simple.
People that care for the performance aspect of an AMG S63 will buy the 2018 and they will know why.
There is a significant difference between the AMG’s. Much more so than the non AMG models.

If people simply want to buy a sporty S-Class will buy the cheaper one because they care for it being a S-Class.

MTrauman (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
I'd buy the one without the smiley face on the steering wheel. Just sayin'. ;o)

To each his own.
MTrauman (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for your post! Useful information to understand where you are coming from.

The interesting thing about the question is that the poster asked which one to buy but not why. Many people focus on the money aspect and not the difference in the cars. I was trying to focus more on the cars. The ‘18 and ‘19 IMHO are completely different than the ‘14-‘17. AMG spent a ton of money reworking the rear subframe for the ‘18 year and the engine and transmission are an absolute dream on the ‘18 and ‘19. Yes this may not be worth it for many people financial but for someone like me that was looking for the perfect balance with performance and luxury the ‘18 and ‘19 are in a different league over the ‘14-‘17 (IMHO).

I was trying to stay away from the money aspect since my career has taught me over the years many people get emotionally wrapped up in cars and money talk and want to flex their muscles in talking about money. I am a CPA/financial advisor with a law degree. I have spent my career discussing these points with clients.
How silly this discussion is? Are you trying to argue or to convince me that the '18 is in completely different league for the '14--17? that's your opinion you don't need to convince or even quote my reply to the OP. I didn't ask you for your opinion nor am the original OP so you don't need to keep bringing the same point to me. You need to understand that people have different opinions and you don't need to question their opinion at any time especially if it's based on personal preferences on how they spend their money . Simple, to me 60K difference to me doesn't worth for the specific example in the OP above and to me is a stupid decision for whatever reason is (in this case and in my opinion cause it's a facelift and i gave him my advice). in your case, maybe it worth it, it's your opinion.
Second, there is no need to talk about AMG vs no AMG here, again read the original post, both cars are AMG models, did you even notice that?
Finally, thanks for mentioning that you are a CPA/financial advisor with a law degree, that's soooo important for OP and for the discussion.

Last edited by S_W222; 11-24-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
How silly this discussion is? Are you trying to argue or to convince me that the '18 is in completely different league for the '14--17? that's your opinion you don't need to convince or even quote my reply to the OP. I didn't ask you for your opinion nor am the original OP so you don't need to keep bringing the same point to me. You need to understand that people have different opinions and you don't need to question their opinion at any time especially if it's based on personal preferences on how they spend their money . Simple, to me 60K difference to me doesn't worth for the specific example in the OP above and to me is a stupid decision for whatever reason is (in this case and in my opinion cause it's a facelift and i gave him my advice). in your case, maybe it worth it, it's your opinion.
Second, there is no need to talk about AMG vs no AMG here, again read the original post, both cars are AMG models, did you even notice that?
Finally, thanks for mentioned that you are a CPA/financial advisor with a law degree, that's soooo important for OP and for the discussion. Well, at least because of that, it gave me enough confidence for why i shouldn't even worry about your opinion on the mechanical and engineering perspective. You can advise your clients on financial decision, am not your client, but when it comes to engines and mechanical topics, am not sure if i would yield to one of my two financial advisors that are working for me. It was nice meeting you, important for me to know that you have a law degree. let me do my part of adding things that don't matter for this discussion like you did, I've been a professor in engineering earlier in my career with a PhD in mechanical engineering - automobile and power applications, published numinous articles and patents on heat transfer in combustion engine and power generators, before I moved to the industry and continues managing several R&D projects in this field. If i need help making a financial decision on 48K vs 110K for a '14 vs '18 i will let you know, but for now i only care about differences that don't worth that much to me (this is called my opinion) while it certainly matters for many others including you (this is called your opinion)
Slow down! With your background you should have focused on the car and not the financial aspect from the get go and it would have taken this thread in a different direction.

Maybe we should asked the OP to weight in. If you follow op’s questions from past posts, he is not looking for advice on finances he is looking for opinions about the difference in cars not about finances. The OP typically has opened ended questions like this but really is looking for opinions on the car and not about the money.

Just remember the OP does not care what my opinion is or what yours is he wants to find out about the car. Look at his pasts posts and you will figure that out.

OP, what are you looking for from this thread?

Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Slow down! With your background you should have focused on the car and not the financial aspect from the get go and it would have taken this thread in a different direction.

Maybe we should asked the OP to weight in. If you follow op’s questions from past posts, he is not looking for advice on finances he is looking for opinions about the difference in cars not about finances. The OP typically has opened ended questions like this but really is looking for opinions on the car and not about the money.

Just remember the OP does not care what my opinion is or what yours is he wants to find out about the car. Look at his pasts posts and you will figure that out.

OP, what are you looking for from this thread?
You could be right and could be wrong. If he is interested in whether it worth or not, then he'll find my answer, your answer, and answers by others too. If it's about performance only regardless of price, it's going to make no sense then cause the '18 certainly has some differences and advantages (but it's hard to quantify how big those differences are as some people see it as day and night difference while others like me think that it's good but not that much to that fact I pay 60K more for it) which is the only reason I discussed the financial aspect. If they were for the same price or 10-30K difference only then certainly go for the '18, but with 60K more and when it gets to $110K I honestly won't buy a brand new (or few miles) S-class, I'd buy different high-end used car (just my personal opinion again which is all what i wanted to pass to the OP).
Old 11-24-2019, 12:07 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert
Hey OP got a question for you. What is there about the AMG that attracts you?
S_W222 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
wow, dont buy either!! lemon cars stay away and 48k miles for a s63 is to many! imo. Im sure there is a happy medium on a 3rd car not posted!
coolcamden (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Frankly I don't understand the aggressive behavior in this thread. The lack of actual questions form the OP contributed to others going all over the place as we don't know why the OP actually picked those two or what opinions he is actually after.

The money discussion is a silly one as everyone here has a completely different take on what they would spend money on and how much. Value is in the eye of the beholder and we know many would not be willing to spend the extra $50k-$60k for a new or used one over a non-AMG one. Worst yet, if leased the S63 will be nearly double the price due to the standard MF and low residual.
But to some it is easily worth the extra money and for them the technical differences are also easily worth the difference. To simply dismiss these cars as almost the same displays a good lack of knowledge and understanding what makes these cars different. To some extend it is the same issue with V6 vs V8, facelift or not, sport package or not, 20" wheels or not, run flats or not, plain interior or exclusive Nappa.

My personal opinion is to stay away from lemons. This will impact not only impact the selling price all the way down to Craigslist level but more important limits the number of interested buyers. The actual savings are usually around 20% but a good deal on a clean title car will make life easier when selling down the line.

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-24-2019 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
aypues (11-25-2019), MBNUT1 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Frankly I don't understand the aggressive behavior in this thread. The lack of actual questions form the OP contributed to others going all over the place as we don't know why the OP actually picked those two or what opinions he is actually after.

The money discussion is a silly one as everyone here has a completely different take on what they would spend money on and how much. Value is in the eye of the beholder and we know many would not be willing to spend the extra $50k-$60k for a new or used one over a non-AMG one. Worst yet, if leased the S63 will be nearly double the price due to the standard MF and low residual.
But to some it is easily worth the extra money and for them the technical differences are also easily worth the difference. To simply dismiss these cars as almost the same displays a good lack of knowledge and understanding what makes these cars different. To some extend it is the same issue with V6 vs V8, facelift or not, sport package or not, 20" wheels or not, run flats or not, plain interior or exclusive Nappa.

My personal opinion is to stay away from lemons. This will impact not only impact the selling price all the way down to Craigslist level but more important limits the number of interested buyers. The actual savings are usually around 20% but a good deal on a clean title car will make life easier when selling down the line.
Mush respect to you! Agreed!. Thank you, this is exactly it and am quoting your words "Value is in the eye of the beholder"!! . to some it worth it and to some it doesn't, simply and exactly what I've been saying. It's all just personal opinions and no one should ever behave like no there is only one direction that's right. It's truly silly as mentioned to argue about money as ("everyone here has a completely different take") --> quoted. Much respect again.
If OP is considering a 3rd option beyond the lemons, then yes this could bring other topics to discuss, but for an apple-to-apple (lemon vs lemon buyback) comparison, the only difference i see was the facelift (model year) and value (48K vs 110K). I personally would not get a lemon, but if I must chose one I'd go with the 48K as am against on spending 110K on it specially when it's also lemon, even if it's not a lemon, the value of differences don't attract me that much for the same reason u mentioned (Value is in the eye of the beholder) which i passed to the OP if he is interested to hear different opinions.

Last edited by S_W222; 11-24-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

There was no mention of either car being a buyback/lemon in the original post.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
There was no mention of either car being a buyback/lemon in the original post.

Correct! But I just went to the website OP used since it stated free carfax report to verify BOTH are lemon/buyback titles per carfax. See below pics. OP must have know they were buyback/lemons.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
I only buy new. Of those two choices, 2018. No question.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 s63 AMG.
There is a pretty big difference in S550 vs the S63, S63 are all Aluminum minus back section , the whole under carriage is also all aluminum vs steel In the s550 and the engine sounds awesome in S63 and the transmission is a multi clutch , plus carbon fiber trunk in S63, the only thing they have in common is looks even the seats are made from Aluminum in S63, vs steel in S550 that’s why there is a 40 k dollar difference, that’s why I choose S63 over 550 personally, but S550 is A lot cheaper at the end of the day for similar looking car

Last edited by FASTTRIP; 11-24-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
There is a pretty big difference in S550 vs the S63, S63 are all Aluminum minus back section , the whole under carriage is also all aluminum vs steel In the s550 and the engine sounds awesome in S63 and the transmission is a multi clutch , plus carbon fiber trunk in S63, the only thing they have in common is looks even the seats are made from Aluminum in S63, vs steel in S550 that’s why there is a 40 k dollar difference, that’s why I choose S63 over 550 personally, but S550 is A lot cheaper at the end of the day for similar looking car
Wow didn't know the differences ran that deep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which do you buy?