S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 price go down a lot when 2021 s class come out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 715 Likes on 463 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by chassis
50% of new sticker price is roughly the current asking price for a well-optioned 2017 W166 GLE350 4MATIC. This is after several months after a new platform, the 2020 V167, has been released. It is in line with the chart above, for a three model year old S-Class.
Am glad you found it helpful and agreed that’s accurate. I have been using it for 4-5 years (since 2015) for several models and brands, I’ve always found it accurate and helped me several times making the right decision for the short-term buy-and-sell cars.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by S_W222
amateur!??! settle down you should be more professional in your responses as a senior member and show some respect, no need to use such words. You told other members that the date is already known to the month (which is wrong) and all I asked you is to share with us where you got such information from!. No one knows that exact month, could be may, June, July, but the exact date, time and month are still undefined. There is an internal target to finish the project for sure just like any other project, but there is no guarantee that the release and production date would be in a June or any other month around it. Simple!
I am surprised that you find such comment offensive based on your prior absolute statements to the contrary. Some time ago I posted MB launch roadmap to 2023 on the forum (think last February). The W223 launch in Germany is scheduled for May 2020. Much of the same information is already published elsewhere now and for some time. Since it's unclear of what you consider a launch schedule I have simply posted typical time delays that can occur for country-specific launches. What matters, however, is when a model is launched in Germany.
Can things change? Sure but so far there have been no technical indications that would prevent a change of that date. S-Class launches are big events for Mercedes. Even if a new CEO is in place.

Keep in mind that I don't have to proof anything to you. I simply post what I know. Something is published and available elsewhere, something isn't...

Old 01-03-2020, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I am surprised that you find such comment offensive based on your prior absolute statements to the contrary. Some time ago I posted MB launch roadmap to 2023 on the forum (think last February). The W223 launch in Germany is scheduled for May 2020. Much of the same information is already published elsewhere now and for some time. Since it's unclear of what you consider a launch schedule I have simply posted typical time delays that can occur for country-specific launches. What matters, however, is when a model is launched in Germany.
Can things change? Sure but so far there have been no technical indications that would prevent a change of that date. S-Class launches are big events for Mercedes. Even if a new CEO is in place.

Keep in mind that I don't have to proof anything to you. I simply post what I know. Something is published and available elsewhere, something isn't...
That why is the is called a "forum". We know what you know, and share it. If we don't have evidences it's fine not a problem, but some people including me like to know a little more than personal opinions and appreciate some references in case those references are available, that's all I asked for cause I still think it's hard to verify exact month now for the W223 launch. However, I hope it's true that it will be in May instead of 3rd quarter.
Also, I found your comment offensive cause used the word "amateur" in your comment to me not because you disagreed with me in general.

Last edited by S_W222; 01-03-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by MacMP
Most people that want an S Class can’t afford a new one.
Oh yes they can.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rockland:
MBNUT1 (01-03-2020), S_W222 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Also, I found your comment offensive cause used the word "amateur" in your comment to me not because you disagreed with me in general.
It shouldn't be offensive. I provided information that the launch schedule is indeed known and set, you responded where the evidence, such as a press release. It may not appear to you this way, but it is an amateur question. I am not looking for a press release of the iPhone 12 launch date but it does exist
The lack thereof does not proof that there is no launch schedule.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It shouldn't be offensive. I provided information that the launch schedule is indeed known and set, you responded where the evidence, such as a press release. It may not appear to you this way, but it is an amateur question. I am not looking for a press release of the iPhone 12 launch date but it does exist
The lack thereof does not proof that there is no launch schedule.
It's easier to ignore people like you. This forum is to discuss MB related issue not judging people and describing them however you like, don't pass this attitude to your kids otherwise they'd be as amateur as you. I didn't post here for someone like you to come and describe be as amateur and don't care about what you think of me.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

It's easier to ignore people like you. This forum is to discuss MB related issue not judging people and describing them however you like, don't pass this attitude to your kids otherwise they'd be as amateur as you. I didn't post here for someone like you to come and describe be as amateur and don't care about what you think of me.
Do as you wish...
Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do as you wish...
@Wolfman I wish I didn't have to do this, but man your comments and posts are always aggressive in some cases and that's not the first time you do this. I looked through your previous posts for 2 minutes and here is a quick list of other incidents I found where you offended others, here I copied pasted some of them --> 1. "Silly article", "ugly van", "you look like a fool", "The guy is an idiot".
I don’t blame the guy who wrote you once in a comment and said “You sure are a condescending fellow.”.

Please stop this type of attitude, at least when you respond to my comments. I am sorry to everyone else who had to read this but I had to put a limit to this when it happens with me. You have a good experience but what's more important is to respect others, at least for me, I don't care about anything but don't call me amateur or silly or describe me with any of these terms you used before with others.

Last edited by S_W222; 01-03-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

@Wolfman I wish I didn't have to do this, but man your comments and posts are always aggressive in some cases and that's not the first time you do this. I looked through your previous posts for 2 minutes and here is a quick list of other incidents I found where you offended others, here I copied pasted some of them --> 1. "Silly article", "ugly van", "you look like a fool", "The guy is an idiot".
I don’t blame the guy who wrote you once in a comment and said “You sure are a condescending fellow.”.

Please stop this type of attitude, at least when you respond to my comments. I am sorry to everyone else who had to read this but I had to put a limit to this when it happens with me. You have a good experience but what's more important is to respect others, at least for me, I don't anything but don't call me ammeter or silly or describe me with any of these terms you used before with others.
I guess I post a bit more and have for a bit longer than you Interesting though that you think that you can judge me based on my opinion about a Youtuber or pictures of a 1960 van. Put me on your ignore list if you can't handle this. I expect that my opinions maybe controversial at times and that is fine and I expect the same from others.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,971 Likes on 3,121 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Another angle on this is, instead of asking whether or not W222 prices will fall in response to the W223 launch, faster than they would if there was no W223 launch, is to think about price premium of the W223 vs W222, one or two model years after the W223 is introduced. In other words, compare the used price of a W223 vs the used price of a W222.

Three data points for this are:

- 971 Porsche Panamera, new for the 2017 model year
- G01 BMW X3, new for the 2018 model year
- W213 M-B E-Class, new for the 2017 model year

The price premia for first-year new platform models vs their prior-year counterparts are higher than standard depreciation rates would predict. Collect the data in your own way. I used cargurus listings, with 12k miles per year allowance and one owner, no accidents, base models (no Porsche turbo, no BMW M-version and no M-B AMG).

The next data point that can be compared is the W166 GLE vs the V167 GLE. Do that comparison 12 months from now. We can read from the V167 forum that there are teething pains with this launch.

I see a market premium being the case for the W223 as a used vehicle, when comparing final year W222 and first year W223. I don't see W222 values dropping when the W223 is introduced.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
MacMP (01-03-2020), MichaelinATL (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by chassis
Another angle on this is, instead of asking whether or not W222 prices will fall in response to the W223 launch, faster than they would if there was no W223 launch, is to think about price premium of the W223 vs W222, one or two model years after the W223 is introduced. In other words, compare the used price of a W223 vs the used price of a W222.

Three data points for this are:

- 971 Porsche Panamera, new for the 2017 model year
- G01 BMW X3, new for the 2018 model year
- W213 M-B E-Class, new for the 2017 model year

The price premia for first-year new platform models vs their prior-year counterparts are higher than standard depreciation rates would predict. Collect the data in your own way. I used cargurus listings, with 12k miles per year allowance and one owner, no accidents, base models (no Porsche turbo, no BMW M-version and no M-B AMG).

The next data point that can be compared is the W166 GLE vs the V167 GLE. Do that comparison 12 months from now. We can read from the V167 forum that there are teething pains with this launch.

I see a market premium being the case for the W223 as a used vehicle, when comparing final year W222 and first year W223. I don't see W222 values dropping when the W223 is introduced.
I think the curve provided above says otherwise. There has always been an acceleration in the depreciation rate of the outgoing mode in one years time after the introduction of the new model. No reason that the W222 should be any different.
The following users liked this post:
S_W222 (01-03-2020)