S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Airmatic Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Airmatic Issues

I've searched a bit, can't seem to find many people who have had this issue, wondering if anybody can shed any light on it.

I've got a 2014 W222 S400 Hybrid, lowered using the LoMo Module that uses the COMAND Unit to lower. I installed it right when I Got the car, so I can't really confirm if it has anything to do with this, but I have turned the module off ,yet the problem still exists.

Sometimes when I start up the car, it will be locked into "SPORT" Mode for the AirMatic, and I cannot get it out of that mode. However, this "sport" mode, is much stiffer and more uncomfortable than the normal sport mode, when the selector works and I can switch from Comfort to Sport. It literally feels like I have bricks for suspension. Usually, I try and turn the car off and on a few times, or drive for a litlte bit, then off and on, and sometimes, the Airmatic goes back to normal, and the selector works again.

I find that it usually happens, when I've restarted the car, within maybe 15 Minutes to 1 or 2 hours of turning it off. It's quite odd. It doesn't happen each time, so I'm really not sure what triggers it, and what makes it go away.

I've ordered an OBD2 Dongle off Amazon to try and scan for codes, but, this is really perplexing to me. Any thoughts?

All my struts are at the right height, none of them are sagging or anything, and when it's locked into sport mode, the heights have no difference either.

Hey
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 714 Likes on 462 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
I've searched a bit, can't seem to find many people who have had this issue, wondering if anybody can shed any light on it.

I've got a 2014 W222 S400 Hybrid, lowered using the LoMo Module that uses the COMAND Unit to lower. I installed it right when I Got the car, so I can't really confirm if it has anything to do with this, but I have turned the module off ,yet the problem still exists.

Sometimes when I start up the car, it will be locked into "SPORT" Mode for the AirMatic, and I cannot get it out of that mode. However, this "sport" mode, is much stiffer and more uncomfortable than the normal sport mode, when the selector works and I can switch from Comfort to Sport. It literally feels like I have bricks for suspension. Usually, I try and turn the car off and on a few times, or drive for a litlte bit, then off and on, and sometimes, the Airmatic goes back to normal, and the selector works again.

I find that it usually happens, when I've restarted the car, within maybe 15 Minutes to 1 or 2 hours of turning it off. It's quite odd. It doesn't happen each time, so I'm really not sure what triggers it, and what makes it go away.

I've ordered an OBD2 Dongle off Amazon to try and scan for codes, but, this is really perplexing to me. Any thoughts?

All my struts are at the right height, none of them are sagging or anything, and when it's locked into sport mode, the heights have no difference either.

Hey
Sounds like the LoMo Module had messed up the original system. That's why I would never install anything like that. I would take it to the dealer and let them flash the software and then never use the LoMo Module again
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
I recently had this problem with my w221 and it turned out to be the connector for one of the strut was loose. This strut was replaced and the tech did not properly plug it in and it came loose after going over bumps i am guessing. Symptoms were just as you described.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Thanks so much! Will take it to my shop and have them take a look!!