S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

How does the S stack up vs the competition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
How does the S stack up vs the competition?

Lease on my E class is ending soon and I am experiencing some first world problems as I search for a new vehicle to get into. I've narrowed it down to several alternatives and would like some opinions on them in regards to comfort levels.

1) LS 500
2) Audi A8
3) 7 Series
4) Would I notice a big difference going from the E300 sport to S560?
5) Planning to keep the car 5+ years, would buying a used CPO be a good decision in regards to reliablity or is this a lease only machine?

Last edited by Minh Do; 02-06-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
1) The LS500 is a large step down from the S560 IMHO. Terrible looks, interface and overall feel.
2) A8- Great car, comes down to personal opinion of looks vs desire for more performance (A8) or luxury (S560). Dealership experience is far substandard at Audi vs MB in my experience.
3) New 7 is a nice step up from the 2019 but I still feel it's a large 5 series. I traded in a 2017 7 for my 2019 S560 and I much prefer the S (again it is a performance vs luxury question- but the 7 does have a better user interface)
4) There will be a substantial change from the E to S in every way with the only downside in my opinion being the less nimble feeling of the S
5) You will certainly save with a CPO and that usually is the cheaper way of getting into one. But once you run the numbers the savings aren't as huge as they appear depending on how much of a discount you get on a new one. If you buy a new 560 with an msrp of $115 for $95-100k your 3 year residual would be around $60k for a depreciation of $35-40k. Buy a 3 year old car for 60k and in 3 years it will be worth $30k for a depreciation of $30k. You have to figure in tax and repairs etc. What makes the most sense to me is to lease these beasts and let MB absorb the carfax risk and depreciation uncertainty.
The following 2 users liked this post by emilner:
Germancar1 (02-10-2020), Streamliner (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Lexus is a big step down, nice cars but it is not an S class. The new Audi's are nice as are the new Beemers but depreciation on both of these is even worse than an S. It is a big jump from an E to an S. I am in the camp of buying used, especially if you are going to keep the car more than 3 years. Additionally, Mercedes is introducing the W223 next year so you should be able to score a good deal on an 18. I picked up my 2015 3 years ago for around 60K with 17K miles on the clock, MSRP was twice that. I have put tires and brakes on it for a cost of around 2K all in but I do all of my own work. 3 years later it is probably worth 40K and still looks new. So for around 600 bucks a month I have enjoyed a great car. I doubt you could lease an S for that. I will probably keep it another few years and then get something different.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Look at KIA K900 for the price it really is a nice car. Hey you have to get past the branding but I was shocked in a buddies how nice it was.

I think the Audi is an amazing car that is the quietest of the group but its just so boring to look at.

Had 7 and as above stated it just doesn't compare to me to an S but it is a great driver car

I was so disappointed in the LS500 as it just looks cheap besides the look at me features.

That said the S is an old mans car but it just does everything perfectly. It has the right amount of electronic gadgets not like the 7 that is just sensory overload. I have a Renntech tune and exhaust and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it but........ I want something little younger in style.

The Panamera has incredible interior and if you can have 4 seats it is an amazing car. Im looking to get a GTS although I want to drive the S8 first.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:00 PM

E300
Good idea

Originally Posted by DABRONX
Look at KIA K900 for the price it really is a nice car. Hey you have to get past the branding but I was shocked in a buddies how nice it was.

I think the Audi is an amazing car that is the quietest of the group but its just so boring to look at.

Had 7 and as above stated it just doesn't compare to me to an S but it is a great driver car

I was so disappointed in the LS500 as it just looks cheap besides the look at me features.

That said the S is an old mans car but it just does everything perfectly. It has the right amount of electronic gadgets not like the 7 that is just sensory overload. I have a Renntech tune and exhaust and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it but........ I want something little younger in style.

The Panamera has incredible interior and if you can have 4 seats it is an amazing car. Im looking to get a GTS although I want to drive the S8 first.
I have also been looking at the K900 since dealers are discounting them heavily.

Last edited by Minh Do; 02-06-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
The A8 versus S class comparison has been done ad nauseum and I remember I was one of the contributors to the thread. It was done as a matter of fact with just facts and no opinions.

Does anyone remember where that thread is?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Found it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-next-car.html

There, that's probably the most comprehensive A8 versus S class comparison done so far on this forum.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Found it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-next-car.html

There, that's probably the most comprehensive A8 versus S class comparison done so far on this forum.
And in the end it comes down to preference. They are both great cars- one better for sport, one better for luxury- looks are what you prefer. The S class tends to have a much bigger following. That sums it up...
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
S 550 AMG Sport Package
Minh Do -

I would have to remove the LS 500 from the number 1 spot on your list...

For the last 30 years I have been a Lexus bigot (good kind) and owned over a dozen...Until, I couldn't get a V-8 in the LS 500 F-Sport, and not to mention, my head hit the ceiling in the back seat at 6'1".

The S-Class is a huge upgrade from the LS series...not even in the same class in every category.

BTW...LS 500 sales aren't doing well either...when i went to buy my wife a new 2020 RX350 at year-end, the dealership was selling new 2019 LS 500's at $62k.

Only thing I miss about the LS series is the engineering simplicity which equates to Lexus' notorious reliability.

Couple of my fav's:

LS430

LS460

Based on the trend above, guess what color my S550 Sport is? Yup...same interior, too
Old 02-07-2020, 12:04 AM

E300
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I value comfort and quietness above all else and it seems the A8 and S class are the best in those areas.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Minh Do
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I value comfort and quietness above all else and it seems the A8 and S class are the best in those areas.
Me too! In a big, luxury saloon, I want the smoothest, most comfortable ride, perfect seats and a very quiet cabin. The S560 is just tops in these categories, especially with Magic Body Control, but smaller diameter wheels and non-run flat tires will greatly help as well. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:37 AM

Received 538 Likes on 295 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Ya know I always say drive them and pick your favorite. My husband and I go on lots of trips and we will get a rental car very often. Nearly all rental cars do nothing to impress me but there was one I really liked. Bet you want to know, it was a Ford F150 Lariat with the bit eco boost engine. Now that truck did not have the wonderful interior of the new Ram Limited nor the ride of the Ram (I have driven it as well) but it had something that even the Rams Hemi does not. It had that Eco Boost engine and dam it that was a wonderful engine. Felt like a muscle car engine lots of power and fun to drive.

So in the end you pick something you like. I Love my Maybach witch is nothing more than a S class with eight inches added to it, but if I REALLY want a fun car to drive I jump in the AMG GTC and drive it and it always puts a smile on my face.

If I were to narrow them down to one car to own I would look for a S63 and have a wonderful riding car that can be raced as well...............

PS I have driven my share of Mercedes as well and the E Class is the only model under an S so far that Impressed me. It hides its four cylinder so its hard to know your driving a four and it is pretty quiet like an S. The C class and the GLA are to me easily replaced with a Honda Accord for far less money.

Last edited by Katie22; 02-07-2020 at 06:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Katie22:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020), Streamliner (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
If these items are the most important for you just be aware that in the US market, the A8, as an example, needs to be specced with the option that gives double glazed windows, as otherwise in stock form it doesn't have it. I believe the W222 in the US comes with this as standard.

As far as overall ride quality goes, you can improve on the W222's fidgety ride behaviour by going to 18" rims and moving to regular tires, but the issue is a lack of spare, of course. Body roll is more pronounced on the S than on the A8 as it has to accommodate the stock RFTs. I can personally attest to that, but I have no experience with MBC as here in Canada MBC is not available as all S classes (mainstream ones) have 4matic which causes a MBC delete.

From a ride comfort and noise perspective, the A8 is quieter, more comfortable, but we're talking about a 'hair' difference that most people will not notice. To me, it was noticeable but I know I'm a picky person. What pushed me towards the A8 actually was not either of these despite knowing the A8 was slightly better in these two categories.

Either way, you can't go wrong with either car. They are both magnificent works of art but which tailor towards entirely different markets. You're probably also going to get a better deal on the S given the fact the 223 is right around the corner.

I will state this though, since there appears to be a lot of hate on the LS500, of which some is justified. That said there are a few areas that IMHO the LS> A8/W222 here.

1) The massaging seats are the best out of the 3. The A8/LS are close, but the LS wins because of the butt massagers.
2) The Mark Levinson option is the best sounding sound system of all 3 cars (all specced out to the most $$ option)
3) Reliability, obviously.
4) Extended warranty is from Lexus and is the cheapest out of all 3, and provides you a much longer coverage (mileage and years) if you max everything out to the Platinum plan.

I wrote off the LS fairly quickly though because it was too noisy and rode too hard for me, but it's still a great car depending on what you're looking for.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Katie22
Ya know I always say drive them and pick your favorite. My husband and I go on lots of trips and we will get a rental car very often. Nearly all rental cars do nothing to impress me but there was one I really liked. Bet you want to know, it was a Ford F150 Lariat with the bit eco boost engine. Now that truck did not have the wonderful interior of the new Ram Limited nor the ride of the Ram (I have driven it as well) but it had something that even the Rams Hemi does not. It had that Eco Boost engine and dam it that was a wonderful engine. Felt like a muscle car engine lots of power and fun to drive.

So in the end you pick something you like. I Love my Maybach witch is nothing more than a S class with eight inches added to it, but if I REALLY want a fun car to drive I jump in the AMG GTC and drive it and it always puts a smile on my face.

If I were to narrow them down to one car to own I would look for a S63 and have a wonderful riding car that can be raced as well...............

PS I have driven my share of Mercedes as well and the E Class is the only model under an S so far that Impressed me. It hides its four cylinder so its hard to know your driving a four and it is pretty quiet like an S. The C class and the GLA are to me easily replaced with a Honda Accord for far less money.
Katie to be fair the Maybach is actually more than just a 8" extension of the W222, or whatever the long wheelbase + length is. There's actually a lot more sound insulation and the windows themselves are thicker, so if you look at the Car and Driver instrumented test info from a noise perspective, the Maybach is quite a few DB quieter than the W222 (which is exponentially quieter purely from a DB perspective since it's not linear).

Is it enough to make a difference that most people will notice? I have no idea, but just thought I'd point that out.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
As far as overall ride quality goes, you can improve on the W222's fidgety ride behaviour by going to 18" rims and moving to regular tires, but the issue is a lack of spare, of course.

Just to clarify for the OP, the W222 does not have a fidgety ride behavior...
Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
I have also been looking at the K900 since dealers are discounting them heavily.
lol. Can't be serious...
My recommendation:
1. S (The best or nothing)
2. 7 Series
3. A8
4. Any Japanese or Korean wannabe S

I actually briefly regretting not getting the new 7 but there really is nothing that can compare to a S. Yes, the audi has more tech but it just does not compare and does not feel right - same with the others.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 02-07-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
I actually briefly regretting not getting the new 7 but there really is nothing that can compare to a S. Yes, the audi has more tech but it just does not compare and does not feel right - same with the others.
I thought the previous generation 7 Series was a truly beautiful car. The current one, however, is simply hideous, in my humble opinion. And this, from a well respected German company. Anything to please the Chinese, I guess! I wonder what those huge “buck teeth” would look like gold plated? There’s gotta be a rapper somewhere thinking about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020), MichaelinATL (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=superangrypenguin;
I wrote off the LS fairly quickly though because it was too noisy and rode too hard for me, but it's still a great car depending on what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

As someone who had eight, brand new, top line, Lexus LS sedans, between 1993 and 2011, when the lease was up on my 2015 S550 and my 2018 S560 was inbound, I felt it was prudent to at least test drive the newly released LS500, while I still had the chance to change my mind. As someone who is hypercritical of smoothness, ride quality, a quiet cabin, etc., I can’t begin to tell you how utterly amazed I was at the crummy, BRITTLE ride of the new LS. The car I drove was a top line car, with air suspension and the ride was tremendously inferior to ANY of the LS sedans I had owned, not to mention my 2015 S550 with MBC. In addition, the V6 in the Lexus FELT and SOUNDED like a V6, which I felt was out of place in a six figure luxury sedan. As far as I am concerned, Lexus USED to be in the hunt with the Germans, but no longer. When I took delivery of my 2018 S560, the car was SO much better than my 2015, that I now feel that I drive “THE” best luxury sedan on the planet.

Last edited by Streamliner; 02-07-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
declo2000 (02-10-2020), QuadBenz (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by emilner
Just to clarify for the OP, the W222 does not have a fidgety ride behavior...
Yes, it does, and it has been mentioned by several reviewers. If you'd like, I can dig them up for you. (at least when compared to the A8). You're entitled to your own opinion, however, when multiple people bring it up it gets a little repetitive but it probably leads towards the opinion being accurate.

If you drive both back to back, you'll probably notice it too, but if you've never driven the A8, you're not going to notice. So fair warning.....

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 02-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:47 AM

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
My car with the Magic Body Control does not have any issues with fidgety ride. I dont know about the non MBC cars. I will even add that at 130MPH (computer shuts me down at that speed) the Maybach is wonderful, you hardly know your going that fast. Now my AMG GTC at 130 you do know your going fast. Some of it is that its a convertible and more noise comes in.

Last edited by Katie22; 02-07-2020 at 12:25 PM.
emilner (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
^Worth noting I believe all of the reviewers which mentioned this were in non MBC S classes.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Yes, it does, and it has been mentioned by several reviewers. If you'd like, I can dig them up for you. (at least when compared to the A8). You're entitled to your own opinion, however, when multiple people bring it up it gets a little repetitive but it probably leads towards the opinion being accurate.
In YOUR opinion, not the world as a whole. I did a search of fidgety on this forum and you are the only person to mention it. You are not the benchmark in opinions especially for a car you don't own. What I did find is numerous people saying how great the car rides, how professional reviewers call it the benchmark in ride, how nearly every person on earth considers it a great ride. Granted putting non runflats on the car make a great ride even better, but they are not making up for a poor riding vehicle. And even if 10 people on earth say they don't like the ride then that is now truth? Give me a brake.
The following 2 users liked this post by emilner:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020), Speednet (02-11-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by emilner
In YOUR opinion, not the world as a whole. I did a search of fidgety on this forum and you are the only person to mention it. You are not the benchmark in opinions especially for a car you don't own. What I did find is numerous people saying how great the car rides, how professional reviewers call it the benchmark in ride, how nearly every person on earth considers it a great ride. Granted putting non runflats on the car make a great ride even better, but they are not making up for a poor riding vehicle. And even if 10 people on earth say they don't like the ride then that is now truth? Give me a brake.
You're taking this awfully personally. My family has owned every single S class back to the 140. Did you know I was probably the first person on this board to notice that the steering wheel on the S class isn't centered? This baffled a lot of people who, heck, even fought with me until they relented and took back their words. Just because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean it's not accurate.

That said, all I did was I shared my own opinion, and then I shared the opinion of many car reviewers, and heck, even offered to dig up those videos (an offer I now rescind based on your tone).

No one has ever said the S class is a poor riding vehicle. (well, at least I haven't, nor did I claim any other person said so as well. Fidgety != "poor riding"), so I have absolutely no idea what stick got shoved up your.....

Calm down.

I get there are brand snobs and those who will fight to the death for the car they own/love. I'm not one of them, but you clearly are.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 02-07-2020 at 12:11 PM.
QuadBenz (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
You're taking this awfully personally. My family has owned every single S class back to the 140. Did you know I was probably the first person on this board to notice that the steering wheel on the S class isn't centered? This baffled a lot of people who, heck, even fought with me until they relented and took back their words. Just because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean it's not accurate.

That said, all I did was I shared my own opinion, and then I shared the opinion of many car reviewers, and heck, even offered to dig up those videos (an offer I now rescind based on your tone).

No one has ever said the S class is a poor riding vehicle. (well, at least I haven't, nor did I claim any other person said so as well. Fidgety != "poor riding"), so I have absolutely no idea what stick got shoved up your.....

Calm down.

I get there are brand snobs and those who will fight to the death for the car they own/love. I'm not one of them, but you clearly are.
I'm not taking anything personally. You didn't offer your opinion, you stated it as a fact. You stated it as if it is a known fact that the S class is fidgety and even came up with a way to help fix it. And yes, that would make it poor riding. A person is looking for opinions and when someone comes on saying something is a fact when in reality it is a minority opinion it should be called out.
The following 3 users liked this post by emilner:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020), QuadBenz (02-07-2020), Speednet (02-11-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Im sure that there is some degree of subjectivity in how a car rides. I was given a GLA, E class, and a C class for loner cars when my cars have been in for warranty service and only one of them would I consider worth buying and that was the E. The other two did not impress me much especially when you look at the price and then test drive a Camry or Accord and realize they are far less money and nicer cars in many ways.

As I said things are subjective and I suspect that a C class owner or GLA owner might say their car rides nice ect so you take what people say and learn for yourself.

For the original post I can tell you that your E class really did impress me. The only gripe I have about it is that you start at about 50,000 and to get rid of the plastic interior and add distronic, and upgrade sound system your at 65000. If you want more nice options you start to see 75000+ and you still have a four cylinder engine. At that point you might just say dam I am so close to an S class............
The following 3 users liked this post by Katie22:
MBNUT1 (02-07-2020), QuadBenz (02-07-2020), superangrypenguin (02-07-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does the S stack up vs the competition?