S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

How does the S stack up vs the competition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 AM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Of course, I certainly agree. If you want a step up from the Exclusive Nappa interior, your ONLY choices are three Designo interiors, all of which are basically the same, very light beige, with different accent colors. I still say they should offer a Maybach, based on the mid length wheelbase that all U.S. model S Class sedans are based on and really expand their color & customization offerings. Such a car would be something I would be very interested in.
Called Boring 1, Boring 2, and Boring 3. hehe

I always wondered if those seats were nicer and more comfy than the non "designo" seats. The tufting and rivets make the seats look more like a comfy chair.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Agreed. The Audi is the most boring car here, and is the most serene, but also the least sporty. It's more like an old school Cadillac boat, more than anything. If one is looking for an 'exciting' car or even a moderately 'exciting' flagship, the Audi is NOT the car for anyone. Audi went way far off the deep end with the older model D4 (sporty) to the D5 (the least sporty thing in the world).

It has been said by reviewers, and I agree wholly, that configured to a sporty setting the W222 comes alive and wants to play. The 2019/2020 A8, even on a sporty setting, is similar to the W222 in comfort. It doesn't try and hide the 2.5 tons of metal, at all, especially in the corners. You know when dogs are running and then try to change directions (on hardwood?) Yeah, it's funny to watch, and also hilariously funny when driving an A8 in this case

For me though, it's precisely what I want. A bank vault on wheels, but it's not for everyone.

From a car taste perspective, I suspect I'm older than most of you (think age 70s+ preferences!) (yes, laugh away...it's ok, I have thick skin)
You're a gentleman. Don't let anyone poke fun at your age, at least not on here.

You're right on the W222 comfort to Sport setting. Makes the car two different animals. The 760 (I assume same for 740 and 750) also does the same. When I press sport - suddenly the exhausts are louder and with plenty of backfire -the suspension is much stiffer, and the throttle is epic.

Not that I ever drive it above posted speed limit signs.

superangrypenguin (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rockland
So, I guess you are happy trading out your RFs. I was thinking of doing so when I got my 760 but then I had 2 flats in the first 70 days and now I can’t seem to give up the RFs for fear of getting a flat on a road trip?!? How much better is the drive? What non-RF tires did you get?
Seriously noticeable difference. Would I have been satisfied with RF? Yes. The ride wasn't bad. Comparing it to the experience of 2014 when I bought the W222 with Runflats and almost gave the car back - this is light years ahead.

I just figured - If I was getting rid of my Porsche 4S - I wanted to go to the opposite side of the spectrum and experience a butter like ride.

I took out tire insurance just in case I pop the non RF Tires. The non runflats really offer a better ride overall - and to boot - it is good in the snow - and rain as they are all season.

The tires I bought are:

Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Seriously noticeable difference. Would I have been satisfied with RF? Yes. The ride wasn't bad. Comparing it to the experience of 2014 when I bought the W222 with Runflats and almost gave the car back - this is light years ahead.

I just figured - If I was getting rid of my Porsche 4S - I wanted to go to the opposite side of the spectrum and experience a butter like ride.

I took out tire insurance just in case I pop the non RF Tires. The non runflats really offer a better ride overall - and to boot - it is good in the snow - and rain as they are all season.

The tires I bought are:
That is an absolutely fantastic all around tire, but do you experience 'excessive' shoulder block wear? Given the pretty damn good performance of that tire in the snow, in particular, I've always wondered how it would fare against any of the flagship German models?

I think it was @Streamliner who switched over to the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack which is the replacement for the Turanza Serenity which, while improved on wet weather/snow performance is still probably 'worse' in this regard versus the DWS06. That said, from a noise performance perspective I'd imagine the Bridgestone to be ahead.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:10 AM

That is an absolutely fantastic all around tire, but do you experience 'excessive' shoulder block wear? Given the pretty damn good performance of that tire in the snow, in particular, I've always wondered how it would fare against any of the flagship German models?

I think it was @Streamliner who switched over to the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack which is the replacement for the Turanza Serenity which, while improved on wet weather/snow performance is still probably 'worse' in this regard versus the DWS06. That said, from a noise performance perspective I'd imagine the Bridgestone to be ahead.
Hard to say without comparing back to back on identical cars. Honestly there is so much leather and sound deadening in the 760 that i don't hear much of the outside world unless its the siren of a police car pulling me over for speeding lol.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I know that this thread is about the S Class and it's competitors but I was on the dealers lot yesterday and looked at a couple of cars one of which was a GT53 so we aren't talking about a $40 k A Class and was shocked by the orange peel in the paint. It seemed to be that way on any of the cars that were around it. Haven't read much about paint quality on this thread but I will say when I was at the car show the week before and I think it was an Audi E-tron who's paint looked much better finished. I'm certain that you wouldn't see any orange peel on a Bentley.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 02-17-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I know that this thread is about the S Class and it's competitors but I was on the dealers lot yesterday and looked at a couple of cars one of which was a GT53 so we aren't talking about a $40 k A Class and was shocked by the orange peel in the paint. It seemed to be that way on any of the cars that were around it. Haven't read much about paint quality on this thread but I will say when I was at the car show the week before and I think it was an Audi E-tron who's paint looked much better finished. I'm certain that you wouldn't see any orange peel on a Bentley.
In general I miss Mercedes paint. Mercedes has gotten the hardness and quality of the paint down. I am constantly correcting paint on my Audi and although it's easy to do so, I'd much rather have Mercedes paint. It's so damn hard it's great to live with.
MacMP (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
In general I miss Mercedes paint. Mercedes has gotten the hardness and quality of the paint down. I am constantly correcting paint on my Audi and although it's easy to do so, I'd much rather have Mercedes paint. It's so damn hard it's great to live with.

Agree with that. Mercedes uses Nano particles to increase the hardness and chip resistance. BMW paint is super delicate compared to MB as I can tell on our new M8. Also, the matte Magno paints are fantastic compared to their Frozen paints. Harder and better looking (matte metallic).
Old 02-17-2020, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Agree with that. Mercedes uses Nano particles to increase the hardness and chip resistance. BMW paint is super delicate compared to MB as I can tell on our new M8. Also, the matte Magno paints are fantastic compared to their Frozen paints. Harder and better looking (matte metallic).
Can you please remind me? I thought the whole ceramiclear paint (vis a vis nano particles) was gone in the 2010s? To this day I have no idea what is driving MB paint to be so hard but whatever it is I'm a big fan still and miss it.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Can you please remind me? I thought the whole ceramiclear paint (vis a vis nano particles) was gone in the 2010s? To this day I have no idea what is driving MB paint to be so hard but whatever it is I'm a big fan still and miss it.
Good question! I always assumed that the tech didn’t change as the paint continues to be harder than other paints.
You are right about the Ceramiclear coat being dropped for environmental reasons. I don’t know what they are using now and will check with a friend who runs a large Mercedes dealer body shop.
superangrypenguin (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Have to take some proper pics yet. Not the perfect time of the year but here we go...

P
As I’ve said before, that interior is absolutely STUNNING! If only MB would get their bean counter’s collective heads out of their asses, they could do things that would be just as lovely. Every model, year in and year out, the same old, worn out, BORING interiors. Don’t even get me started on exterior colors.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Katie22
You could always get the v8 Maybach it costs less than the v12 and has 4matic though no MBC.
Yes, yet another wonderful HOOP that one must contend with to be an MB customer: If you want a Maybach with a V8, you can ONLY get it as a 4-Matic, which means you cant have MBC. If you want MBC, you MUST pop for the V12 model. I could see a situation like this on a low rung model, but on a Maybach??? Nuts!
superangrypenguin (02-20-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As I’ve said before, that interior is absolutely STUNNING! If only MB would get their bean counter’s collective heads out of their asses, they could do things that would be just as lovely. Every model, year in and year out, the same old, worn out, BORING interiors. Don’t even get me started on exterior colors.
Mercedes has done a similar color combo before.

Or did you mean design?