S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 - oil change in-between

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:00 AM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Having a technical background I can say that 5000 change intervals with Mobil 1 is overkill and serves no purpose but to perpetuate an old school point of view based on using dino oils of the past.

Dont agree with me then take an oil sample out at 5000 miles and send it for analysis. I guarantee it will come back with results showing the oil is good for another 5000 miles
The following 2 users liked this post by Katie22:
MBNUT1 (05-18-2020), superangrypenguin (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Audi Junkie
Plato tells us, "the highest good lies in the mean". For instance, it's saying not to be so cheap that you never give away one cent, but also not to be so generous that you give away everything you own. The "best" is always someplace in the middle. It works in a LOT of places in life.

For us, that means neither 3000 miles changes, nor 20k changes.... someplace in the middle will be best.

I don't worry one bit about overly frequent changes, but do worry about the ills of infrequent changes. So, I'd bias my decision towards more frequent changes. Plus, I'm often trying to clean out an older engine...

An example might be 10k annual changes. I feel that 2 changes of decent dino oil at 5000 miles will work better than one change of premium oil. Let's assume the driver makes tons of short trips, and rarely heats up the oil to self-cleaning temps. There is literally no substitute for draining out all the old oil and contaminates; condensed water and excess fuel in the oil. After 5000 miles, no "synth" oil will be better than fresh oil. Churn that slop up into a warm froth and shut off the engine, again and again. In my old V6 and V8 Mercedes, draining it out and replacing with fresh 10w-40 oil is preferred to running it twice as long, for about the same cost.

Using a timed method, I never have to change oil outside in the cold, since my PLAN takes care of that around Halloween and May Day. It would be silly to count down arbitrary MILES to a change for it to expire on the coldest day of the year, -10F here! Plus fresh oil works better for cold cranking.

This being said, I think TIMED intervals of 6 months or one year is best. It covers the short trip drivers as well as lots of highway miles. Just select an oil that allows you to go the anticipated miles in that time. If you drive under 5000 a year, one change of dino is fine. If you drive 10k, you have a choice of two dino changes or one synth. I like 6 month option, partly because it lets me switch viscs for seasons. 10w-40 / 5w-30.

My turbo cars get 1 change of synth a year, my non-turbos only get one dino change, since I drive only a few 1000 a year in each car. Wife's turbo VW gets 2 changes a year 6 months apart, thin oil in Nov and then thick oil in May. She drives just under 10k a year, I could do 1 change of synth, but I do 2 since she loves her new VW so much.
Agreed (though will never be confident enough to put in unapproved oils/dino oils but I absolutely get the premise of the argument), and will be the first to admit that I don't remember enough about the S class engines but 'other' modern engines now have an oil cooler bypass feature to prevent exactly that - excessive dilution of engine oil due to a ton of short time/duration trips.