S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Buying a CPO Mercedes 2016-2017, Need your wisdom and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S550
Buying a CPO Mercedes 2016-2017, Need your wisdom and advice

Hello Everyone, I have been following the different Thread and I will be purchasing a 2016-2017 Mercedes S550 4matic toward the end of this year. I really like the Ruby Black Metallic or Obsidian Black Metallic with the Magma Grey/Espresso Brown Nappa leather or Nut Brown/Black Nappa leather. I have been looking on Cars.com, Autotrader, Cargurus, Truecar, and Edmund for Certified Pre owned. I really want a S550 with the Burmester® 3D system, Is it possible to find a Mercedes already with the upgraded Audio System? I will probably change the RFT to non RFT, any recommendation? Any other tips and advice is recommend. I want to do my own Oil changes, I have watched it on you tube and they look pretty easy but I am not sure about changing the brakes but will look at YouTube videos. Cant wait!!! November cant come quick enough for me. All the tips and advice is welcome. Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2020, 05:32 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
1. Go to this site, http://www.auto-brochures.com/mercedes_benz.html and download the brochures for the years you are interested in. This will give you the specs and options for the specific years you are looking at.

2. When you find a particular car, enter the VIN in this site, https://www.lastvin.com, to confirm the options on the particular car.

3. Review the M-B CPO program here, https://www.mbusa.com/en/cpo, to become familiar with the features of the CPO program. This page also gives you the opportunity to search CPO vehicle inventory around the country.

Last edited by SilberGrau57; 05-15-2020 at 05:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilberGrau57:
Nice Ride (05-17-2020), Smoove01 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
1. Go to this site, http://www.auto-brochures.com/mercedes_benz.html and download the brochures for the years you are interested in. This will give you the specs and options for the specific years you are looking at.

2. When you find a particular car, enter the VIN in this site, https://www.lastvin.com, to confirm the options on the particular car.

3. Review the M-B CPO program here, https://www.mbusa.com/en/cpo, to become familiar with the features of the CPO program. This page also gives you the opportunity to search CPO vehicle inventory around the country.
Thank you so much appreciate the advice
Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 258 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
I'm shopping too, and finding certain things are hard to find:
  • MBC - Magic Body Control
  • Burmeister High End sound
  • Exclusive Nappa upholstery
  • Any exterior color other than Black, White or Silver (e.g. Lunar Blue, Ruby Red, etc.)
  • Any interior color other than Black or Silk Beige
The "Premium" package, warmth and comfort, and so on are pretty common

Also, many cars out there come with 20" wheels, which you may or may not want
The following users liked this post:
Smoove01 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 Executive, 2017 Volvo XC60 R design, 2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT TwinTurbo
MBC is a nightmare of repair cost as miles get higher...opt out
Magnetite Black...Luxury appearance, easy to keep clean.
Silk with the rite light color Burled Walnut...outstanding
20's are cool for certain looks and more performance control, but you dont buy an S class for performance driving. The every day living with advantages of 19's far out shine.
Unless your buying to satisfy a lot of back seat occupants, dont get separate rear A/C controls, they eat up all your center console storage space. Same with Executive rear seating, a lot of cost for not a lot of advantage to you. Forget Rear Refrigerator, eats up trunk space.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove01 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
I'm shopping too, and finding certain things are hard to find:
  • MBC - Magic Body Control
  • Burmeister High End sound
  • Exclusive Nappa upholstery
  • Any exterior color other than Black, White or Silver (e.g. Lunar Blue, Ruby Red, etc.)
  • Any interior color other than Black or Silk Beige
The "Premium" package, warmth and comfort, and so on are pretty common

Also, many cars out there come with 20" wheels, which you may or may not want
Well I hope our experience is different, I would sacrifice exterior and interior color for the Burmeister High End Sound, I will spend more time inside the car and playing music and I would get more enjoyment out of Audio system if possible but I will keep hope alive. Thanks for your response and Good Luck on your Search, please post a pic and I will do the same
Old 05-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Eddot
MBC is a nightmare of repair cost as miles get higher...opt out
Magnetite Black...Luxury appearance, easy to keep clean.
Silk with the rite light color Burled Walnut...outstanding
20's are cool for certain looks and more performance control, but you dont buy an S class for performance driving. The every day living with advantages of 19's far out shine.
Unless your buying to satisfy a lot of back seat occupants, dont get separate rear A/C controls, they eat up all your center console storage space. Same with Executive rear seating, a lot of cost for not a lot of advantage to you. Forget Rear Refrigerator, eats up trunk space.
Thanks for that advice. I dont need the MBC, Dont care for backseat upgrades, Just me and my wife,and 19 inch wheels will work out just fine for me, Now Color, I wanted a nice Color, I always buy black cars all the time so I wanted something nice that stands out, I love the RuBY Black color and its different, its not a color you see all the time, I would not mind the Magnetite Black either.I need a darker color interior because of the grandkids LOL!!, thanks for your response
Old 05-17-2020, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic
Been watching the much smaller Canadian market for a car with Porcelain white on black interior... Nothing in over 6 months!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 PM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
I'd scoop up any car that fits your bill on color. I doubt you'd hear much of a difference by getting the ultra high end stereo or the step down from that. Seriously, the sound in any S Class is going to be KILLER. Color would be key to me, options like that, definitely negotiable. And yes, I too would never buy a car with a light interior. A black interior or dark interior hides the dirt so well, just not white lint.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 540 Likes on 297 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
The 3D sound system is the best sound system I have ever herd bar none. I spend several K on my home system and it does not even compare to the 3D system in my Maybach. IF you like music the 3D system is worth the extra $$ period..

Doing ALL the maintenance on my car I can tell you its not hard at all as long as you have a copy of WIS (purchased on EBAY for about 15 dollars or less). This is the software sweet the dealer uses and tells you all you need to know. An example of whats on WIS is complied here for the GT https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...intenance.html

I have done everything my car calls for up to 75,000 miles. That includes differential change, oil changes, Air filters, Cabin Filters, brake fluid flush, front and rear brake pads (rear pads require extra steps), trans fluid change, spark plug change, and finally a few repairs such as idler pulleys and air conditioner hose replacement and then recharge. The car is NOT hard to work on and I have the V12. I am sure the v8 is easier.

Last edited by Katie22; 05-18-2020 at 01:21 PM.