S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Service Visit Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2020 | 02:14 AM

14' S550 4Matic, BMW F10
Service Visit Questions

So I recently purchase a 2014 S550 4Matic. Love the car so far although has had it's quirks. Bought it from a Subaru dealership in mid March. Gave me a 3mo/3000 warranty. Got back to the city with it and had the local Mercedes dealership look it over at end of March. Said aside from a cracked rim everything looks good. While it was there being checked in March, I had them look at some specific issues in addition to a general lookover. Paid $160 for this visit.

1. - The trunk would not close from time to time. Not power nor manually. When this happens the lock and trunk close buttons are not illuminated. Will work after a few reboots of the Comand System and trickly with the trunk handle. The ran a software update for the trunk.
2 - Would lose all audio from the system sometimes. SD Card, CD, Bluetooth, Radio.. didn't matter. Sometimes you would an AM radio version of the audio with no surround or bass. Will work again after rebooting the Comand System a few times. After the visit, noticed it would mainly happen when the system connects to the bluetooth audio on my phone. I mainly listen to music off of the SD Card. Service dept did nothing for this.
3. They told me rear brakes are at 7mm.

I'd say about 3 wks, after ...trunk having issues not closing again. Audio hasn't really cut out. But I've noticed ECO mode acceleration is super sluggish and as well as reduced MPG, so I've been driving mainly in Sport Mode. With the warmer weather, the cooled seats don't really feel cool at all although I hear the motor for it. Also, when songs fade out before another song starts and/or when I turn the engine off... its sounds like I don't know maybe electrical interference, or like a drowning speaker. This is with the Burmeister 3D. Also sometimes have the downshift issue mentioned by others.

So I dropped the car off again today today mainly for the trunk issue again and seats. But also the audio, engine/trans, and for software updates. During the first visit the service rep stated that the first owner never had any software updates or map updates done. She texts me at the end of the day saying:

1. I have to pay $160 for Comand update, $160 for Map Update, and $160 for engine/trans software updates ------- Seems very nickel and dimish. Would be nice to just pay one update fee and they do them all.
2. "Front Cylinder head covers are seeping oil" $1670.68 to fix ---- Found it funny this wasn't happening in March but it what it is I guess. Will get a second opinion and fix later. Has anyone had this issue?
3. Need rear brake pads and rotors $841.94 --- Any recommendations on pads???? Also, weird that I went from 7mm to needing a replacement. But I understand these wear more on this car but I was thinking around Winter for a replacement.
4. Need trunk latch $528 ----- passed on this as I think it's all software related since the buttons also go out when it stops working.
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:55 AM

2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Trunk Latch

Trunk latch is a common problem on the W222. It's probably been doing it for years and should have been covered under warranty (unfortunately you are now beyond). When I purchased my 2018 S560 new, the latch would work when it felt like it. Took it back to the dealer, the latch was immediately replaced under warranty and has been no problem ever since. The dealer knew exactly what I needed to be fixed after my 30-second description of the problem. Difficult to understand why the factory has continued to install these defective locks for years.
Old 06-13-2020 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Welcome to the world of S Class ownership. If you are comfortable wrenching on your own cars then they are great and pretty easy to work on. If you do not know what a wrench is than find a good, honest independent mechanic. Otherwise the dealer will gladly take copious amounts of your money to fix these little ticky tac things. Brakes can be done for around 100 bucks for a pad slap and around 300 bucks if you replace the pads and rotors for either front or rear sets. I think I might have a valve cover gasket leak as well but not sure, it is very minute. Until oil shows up on the floor of my garage I am not worried about it. As far as the SW updates, you are somewhat at the mercy of a dealer for these as they will have the latest updates. I would do those. What is most concerning is the statement that the previous owner did nothing regarding SW updates, they should be able to run a VMI and tell you what services have been done, at 6 years there are a lot of things that should have been done by now depending on the mileage. Hopefully you are not faced with a mountain of deferred maintenance.
Old 06-13-2020 | 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
The dealer is trying to milk you, as is their normal procedure. It's a shame really, and really souring me on the brand.

If it were me, I would have them do the work that only a dealer can do, and that you truly need. Brakes can be competently done by an Indy. Software updates, if truly needed, are best done at a dealer. Trunk lock is probably a dealer task. Valve cover gaskets can be done by an Indy.

Brakes and valve covers are DIY jobs, if you DIY.
The following users liked this post:
miltownhpt (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by miltownhpt
So I recently purchase a 2014 S550 4Matic. Love the car so far although has had it's quirks. Bought it from a Subaru dealership in mid March. Gave me a 3mo/3000 warranty. Got back to the city with it and had the local Mercedes dealership look it over at end of March. Said aside from a cracked rim everything looks good. While it was there being checked in March, I had them look at some specific issues in addition to a general lookover. Paid $160 for this visit.

1. - The trunk would not close from time to time. Not power nor manually. When this happens the lock and trunk close buttons are not illuminated. Will work after a few reboots of the Comand System and trickly with the trunk handle. The ran a software update for the trunk.
2 - Would lose all audio from the system sometimes. SD Card, CD, Bluetooth, Radio.. didn't matter. Sometimes you would an AM radio version of the audio with no surround or bass. Will work again after rebooting the Comand System a few times. After the visit, noticed it would mainly happen when the system connects to the bluetooth audio on my phone. I mainly listen to music off of the SD Card. Service dept did nothing for this.
3. They told me rear brakes are at 7mm.

I'd say about 3 wks, after ...trunk having issues not closing again. Audio hasn't really cut out. But I've noticed ECO mode acceleration is super sluggish and as well as reduced MPG, so I've been driving mainly in Sport Mode. With the warmer weather, the cooled seats don't really feel cool at all although I hear the motor for it. Also, when songs fade out before another song starts and/or when I turn the engine off... its sounds like I don't know maybe electrical interference, or like a drowning speaker. This is with the Burmeister 3D. Also sometimes have the downshift issue mentioned by others.

So I dropped the car off again today today mainly for the trunk issue again and seats. But also the audio, engine/trans, and for software updates. During the first visit the service rep stated that the first owner never had any software updates or map updates done. She texts me at the end of the day saying:

1. I have to pay $160 for Comand update, $160 for Map Update, and $160 for engine/trans software updates ------- Seems very nickel and dimish. Would be nice to just pay one update fee and they do them all.
2. "Front Cylinder head covers are seeping oil" $1670.68 to fix ---- Found it funny this wasn't happening in March but it what it is I guess. Will get a second opinion and fix later. Has anyone had this issue?
3. Need rear brake pads and rotors $841.94 --- Any recommendations on pads???? Also, weird that I went from 7mm to needing a replacement. But I understand these wear more on this car but I was thinking around Winter for a replacement.
4. Need trunk latch $528 ----- passed on this as I think it's all software related since the buttons also go out when it stops working.

First—Cooling of the seats. They are not designed to cool you so you can hardly tell air is flowing. It is not like my friends Cadillac that acts like an air conditioner. My guess is this is working properly but you may not be familiar with the design.

Second—ECO sluggishness. It is normal for the car to operate like this. However, you should not get less gas mileage in ECO mode. It should be a better MPG. I never drive in the ECO mode because it is way to sluggish for my taste.

Third—brakes. How many miles did you drive after 7mm? You must have driven 20,000 miles or more? Or you ride your brakes? After 25 years of owning S Class cars, IMHO dealers like to replace brakes early. In my ‘19 S63 AMG I recently replaced front and rear brake pads at 19,000 at dealer recommendation even though the light did not come on. I believe they were replaced early but I do not want to run the risk of damaging the rotors that would cost about $5k replace in this AMG car. On the other hand my first set of pads were replaced at about 36,000 miles on my ‘16 S550 4matic and those could have gone a bit longer. Additionally the same dealer wanted to replace my son’s ‘13 E350 4matic brakes early recently and I decline to have them replace them. Bottom line with brakes—-IMHO this one of the items that dealers always want to replace early to make more money. You simply need to know that and decide for yourself if you are going to replace them at the dealers recommendation or wait till the brake light comes on.
chassis (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 06:21 PM

14' S550 4Matic, BMW F10
Originally Posted by chassis
The dealer is trying to milk you, as is their normal procedure. It's a shame really, and really souring me on the brand.

If it were me, I would have them do the work that only a dealer can do, and that you truly need. Brakes can be competently done by an Indy. Software updates, if truly needed, are best done at a dealer. Trunk lock is probably a dealer task. Valve cover gaskets can be done by an Indy.

Brakes and valve covers are DIY jobs, if you DIY.
I agree. I've driven maybe 2000 miles in between visits. BMW wasn't this bad, sheesh.
chassis (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 06:32 PM

14' S550 4Matic, BMW F10
Originally Posted by MTrauman
First—Cooling of the seats. They are not designed to cool you so you can hardly tell air is flowing. It is not like my friends Cadillac that acts like an air conditioner. My guess is this is working properly but you may not be familiar with the design.

Second—ECO sluggishness. It is normal for the car to operate like this. However, you should not get less gas mileage in ECO mode. It should be a better MPG. I never drive in the ECO mode because it is way to sluggish for my taste.

Third—brakes. How many miles did you drive after 7mm? You must have driven 20,000 miles or more? Or you ride your brakes? After 25 years of owning S Class cars, IMHO dealers like to replace brakes early. In my ‘19 S63 AMG I recently replaced front and rear brake pads at 19,000 at dealer recommendation even though the light did not come on. I believe they were replaced early but I do not want to run the risk of damaging the rotors that would cost about $5k replace in this AMG car. On the other hand my first set of pads were replaced at about 36,000 miles on my ‘16 S550 4matic and those could have gone a bit longer. Additionally the same dealer wanted to replace my son’s ‘13 E350 4matic brakes early recently and I decline to have them replace them. Bottom line with brakes—-IMHO this one of the items that dealers always want to replace early to make more money. You simply need to know that and decide for yourself if you are going to replace them at the dealers recommendation or wait till the brake light comes on.

Seats aren't designed to cool you?? LMAO, in my Lexus they were so clutch in the summer cooling off. But I guess it makes sense as the heating seat function is entirely different from every other I've had in that they don't stay on and automatically reduce the heat setting.

Figured as such. I feel like I get 2-4MPG better in Sport Mode. I think they way I drive the extra power allows me to coast more and further so I'm not constantly mashed on the gas.

I only drove about 2000 miles, 2500 tops in between visits. Mostly highway driving and/or very short trips. No bumper to bumper traffic as most people aren't riding around as much. I've asked three times what the current measurements are of the brakes and haven't gotten an answer yet. But I'm most likely going to hold off on them either until the light comes on or just do them myself. Even though the dealer is pushing me to also replace the rotors, is that really even necessary? I should just be able to replace the pads I would think if its betwen 4-6mm?
Old 06-13-2020 | 06:38 PM

14' S550 4Matic, BMW F10
Originally Posted by superpop
Welcome to the world of S Class ownership. If you are comfortable wrenching on your own cars then they are great and pretty easy to work on. If you do not know what a wrench is than find a good, honest independent mechanic. Otherwise the dealer will gladly take copious amounts of your money to fix these little ticky tac things. Brakes can be done for around 100 bucks for a pad slap and around 300 bucks if you replace the pads and rotors for either front or rear sets. I think I might have a valve cover gasket leak as well but not sure, it is very minute. Until oil shows up on the floor of my garage I am not worried about it. As far as the SW updates, you are somewhat at the mercy of a dealer for these as they will have the latest updates. I would do those. What is most concerning is the statement that the previous owner did nothing regarding SW updates, they should be able to run a VMI and tell you what services have been done, at 6 years there are a lot of things that should have been done by now depending on the mileage. Hopefully you are not faced with a mountain of deferred maintenance.
The car was well taken care of and services were done as recommended. Is the Comand update going to make the interface look different if it hasn't been done since 2014, or add new options? Same with the Map update... is it just adding current/new routes and POI's or are there some new features or updated layout? Any recommended pads to get?
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I think the updates just add POI and data like that. Interface is the same. For pads I would get ceramic pads, they have way less dust. Rotors are up to you, I always do pads and rotors at the same time as they are not very expensive. Got my last set off Rock Auto.
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Welcome. Don't know where you live but find an indy shop! How many miles are on the car? Must have missed that part. Lets have some pics
chassis (06-13-2020)
Old 06-16-2020 | 02:00 AM

14' S550 4Matic, BMW F10
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Welcome. Don't know where you live but find an indy shop! How many miles are on the car? Must have missed that part. Lets have some pics
Milwaukee area. Bought a WIS off eBay. Trying to download it now but taking awhile. Got the car back this evening, paperwork says I'm at 4mm on the rear. They must've thrown on some ****ty brake pads to lose 3mm in less than 3000 miles. On a side note, I have an E450 for a loaner. Mixed feelings about it, don't even know if I like the newer interfaces better although the glossy screen and bright crisp resolution was awesome. Small as hell inside.
hyperion667 (06-16-2020)