S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

I drove my 2019 S560 with my wife's Lincoln key!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Does anyone know what the purpose of the little key diagram located just in front of the cupholders, at the bottom of a storage slot? It's stamped into the black plastic of the area just in front of the cupholders.
You place the key fob there if the battery is empty to still be able to start the car. It powers the fob via induction.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by darlop
Keyless go like touchscreens is just another example of technology for technology sake. It only makes things more complicated and leads to all kinds of unsafe and ridiculous situations.

Just this week I was picking up my car from the shop with my wife following in hers. It was only when we got home that we realized that I had her key in my pocket the whole time.

Having a key in the ignition while a car is running is just as fundamental as having a gas pedal and a brake pedal. I can't wait until they find some fancy new technology to replace those. Maybe we'll start waving our hands around to make the car go faster.

I'm always in favor of high tech whenever it makes things easier but some things don't need to be changed. Let's not even get started on the situation with electronic shifters and brakes. That same car I took to the shop (BMW) had a dead battery. At first I was going to tow it. But guess what, the shifter is electronic so I couldn't even put it in Neutral. There is a tool in the trunk for manual shifting but guess what, the trunk won't open because there is no power and there is no manual release either. Real geniuses designing this stuff.
Not for me. Ever since our SL55 had a credit card keyless go key that i could put in my wallet, I realized that the clunky key had zero tangible value. I also don’t miss turning on my lights manually or raising my windows with a lever instead of a button.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by superswiss
You place the key fob there if the battery is empty to still be able to start the car. It powers the fob via induction.

Got it. Now that I think about it, my BMW motorcycle which has a keyless start has the same feature. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:13 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
Another example of the idiocy with keyless ignitions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...-shut-off.html
Old 07-26-2020, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Another example of the idiocy with keyless ignitions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...-shut-off.html
Seems like you are really trying to find reasons to decry keyless ignitions. What's not to like about not having to fumble for the key in one's pocket? The only thing I wish is that I didn't have to carry the fob with me anymore and instead it would just recognize my phone via Bluetooth like Tesla. I always have my phone on me, but for now I also have to have my fob on me. Always stays in my pants, though, so I can't really relate to many of the issues listed here. It's convenient to walk up to the car with my hands full and use the kicking motion to open the trunk, or close it with the kicking motion if I took something out of it and now have my hands full. Similarly, just have to grab the door handle to open the door and then sit down and start the car, or touch it to lock the car afterwards, or just press the trunk close and lock button if I'm behind the car with the trunk open. It's a convenience feature.

The above example is not specifically anything that has to do with keyless ignition. The practice of automatically turning off the engine if the driver leaves the car is a common "feature" in Europe. It's been coded out on many US spec cars. My AMG doesn't shut itself off if I leave the car. It's done for safety reasons and specifically in Europe, because it's illegal to idle a car w/o the driver in it. On some makes, the engine turns off as soon as the driver's door is opened, keyless ignition or not. The safety aspect is so nobody can get in, potentially hold your family at gun point and drive off with them for example. Or if you are by yourself and in a habit of leaving your car running while going back inside, think twice about it. You wouldn't be the first one to get their car stolen that way. BTW, it's little known, but in many US jurisdictions it's technically illegal to idle your unoccupied car even if there are passengers in it. It's not unheard of to get cited for it, too.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:54 PM

a
Seems like you are really trying to find reasons to decry keyless ignitions.
I'm not trying to find anything. The reasons are right there for you to see.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I see much ado about nothing. YMMV.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

This is literally one of the most used features on tens of millions of cars over the last decade plus.
If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Overall one of the most used, liked and trouble-free features on a modern car...

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-26-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:01 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Talking

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Got it. Now that I think about it, my BMW motorcycle which has a keyless start has the same feature. Thanks!
Ha! How about a pic?

I've always admired BMW motorcycles......more than the cars haha.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:02 PM

a
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This is literally one of the most used features on tens of millions of cars over the last decade plus.
If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Overall one of the most used, liked and trouble-free features on a modern car...
There is literally no way to not use it. And you've just seen multiple problems caused by it so there is no way you can call it trouble-free.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
Originally Posted by emilner
What a crappy situation. I went into town with my son the other day and for some reason after shutting off my car I couldn't get it to lock. On rare occasions that has happened so I took my key out to lock the car. That's when I realized I had my wife's Lincoln key and no MB key in sight. No warnings, no issues until I shut the car off. The keys were no where near my garage so it didn't accidentally get the right signal. The real issue was now I was stranded- thankfully my wife was home and she drove the key out to us but still very nerve wracking. Can someone else start my car? What if we went on a road trip and were out of town? A little unsettling...
Similar thing happened to my wife in my m4. Our building has parking where the valet guys bring up your car (no self parking due to tight turns). She drove away without taking they key. No notification from the car. Once she parked she realized she didn’t have a key....
Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
Haven’t used a car key in the ignition for almost 20 years.
Can’t imagine why anyone would do that. Plus most cars, including all Mercedes models don’t even have that option anymore.
The S-class stopped that for the MY18 facelift with a non-removable Start/Stop button.

Ironically, our GTC has an ignition slot hidden in the Center Console
Thank God the GTC has that keyhole in the armrest! I was at my stations TV transmitter on Mount Wilson in LA and I was parked next to the KABC transmitter and the car couldn’t see the key due to the massive RF from the antenna! The key in the armrest worked!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
Haven’t used a car key in the ignition for almost 20 years.
Can’t imagine why anyone would do that. Plus most cars, including all Mercedes models don’t even have that option anymore.
The S-class stopped that for the MY18 facelift with a non-removable Start/Stop button.

Ironically, our GTC has an ignition slot hidden in the Center Console
Thank God the GTC has that keyhole in the armrest! I was at my stations TV transmitter on Mount Wilson in LA and I was parked next to the KABC transmitter and the car couldn’t see the key due to the massive RF from the antenna! The key in the armrest worked!
the thought of walking to the one payphone to call for help gives me chills. Cellphones don’t work either due to the RF!
Old 07-27-2020, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

There is literally no way to not use it. And you've just seen multiple problems caused by it so there is no way you can call it trouble-free.
The jury on is still out on this issue here. You can try really hard to make a case but your statement was that this is tech for techs sake which is simply incorrect with no data to back this up.
Btw. If there would be a pervasive issue on millions of MB’s with keyless go, the forum would be filled with it.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-27-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:12 PM

a
The jury on is still out on this issue here. You can try really hard to make a case but your statement was that this is tech for techs sake which is simply incorrect with no data to back this up..
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-deadly-error/
https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/14/aut...ide/index.html
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1...-cars-ford-bmw
https://www.motor1.com/news/365690/k...bility-tested/

The above example is not specifically anything that has to do with keyless ignition.
Nope that's exactly what it's for. Keyless Go is so unsafe that now they have to create a safety workaround for it. And it won't take long before someone leaves a child, senior, or pet inside their car thinking the AC is still running and we have another tragedy. Then they are going to need a workaround for the workaround. My wife and I leave each other in the car all the time when we are running errands. Now I've got to change my whole daily routine because of a feature that was supposed to make my life easier.

Or they could have just avoided all this by making a slot for the key to go in. Something that has been fundamental to driving for a century. There was no reason to change it nor did anyone ask for it to change.

How lazy can you possibly get. I'm sure you don't wake up with your car keys in your pocket already. It can't be that much effort to take it out again. Do you have someone open and close your car door for you? How about your seat belt? Do you find it inconvenient to have to shift from Park every time? Is flipping on your turn signal too much effort? Do you have keyless entry on your house?

And for that matter why do I even need to press a button every time I get in the car? If it's now smart enough to turn itself off when I leave why can't it turn itself On when I get in? Why else would I be getting in my car if I don't want it to start?

Every time I approach my car in a parking lot I always get a little nervous because all a thief has to do is wait for me to get close and then open my door and drive off without ever needing my key.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-deadly-error/
https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/14/aut...ide/index.html
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1...-cars-ford-bmw
https://www.motor1.com/news/365690/k...bility-tested/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AHSDy6AiV0

Nope that's exactly what it's for. Keyless Go is so unsafe that now they have to create a safety workaround for it. And it won't take long before someone leaves a child, senior, or pet inside their car thinking the AC is still running and we have another tragedy. Then they are going to need a workaround for the workaround. My wife and I leave each other in the car all the time when we are running errands. Now I've got to change my whole daily routine because of a feature that was supposed to make my life easier.

Or they could have just avoided all this by making a slot for the key to go in. Something that has been fundamental to driving for a century. There was no reason to change it nor did anyone ask for it to change.

How lazy can you possibly get. I'm sure you don't wake up with your car keys in your pocket already. It can't be that much effort to take it out again. Do you have someone open and close your car door for you? How about your seat belt? Do you find it inconvenient to have to shift from Park every time? Is flipping on your turn signal too much effort? Do you have keyless entry on your house?

And for that matter why do I even need to press a button every time I get in the car? If it's now smart enough to turn itself off when I leave why can't it turn itself On when I get in? Why else would I be getting in my car if I don't want it to start?

Every time I approach my car in a parking lot I always get a little nervous because all a thief has to do is wait for me to get close and then open my door and drive off without ever needing my key.
I think this has taken its course. Convenience has nothing to do with being lazy. BTW, yes I have keyless entry for my house and all other places I need to enter (keypad lock, badge, phone...). I don't carry keys anymore tearing a hole in my pockets. The only key I have to carry is the car fob now, but I only take it with me if I'm going somewhere with my car. Anyway, yes keyless systems had their issues. As I mentioned earlier, the latest MB system has a motion sensor in the fob, so that it disables itself automatically and thieves can't steal the car from your driveway if you leave your car outside. I park mine in my garage, so this has never been even remotely a concern for me. Security is like an onion. You need multiple layers. If you are this afraid of the technology, you are probably better off selling your car and buy an older used model that still has physical keys. I certainly don't miss locking my physical key in my cars anymore and having to call AAA, or somebody losing a house key and then having to change all the locks. Much more convenient to just disable the lost code/badge/phone and give temporary codes to guests staying over etc. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. The question is do the positives outweigh the negatives and they do for keyless GO.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-27-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think this has taken its course. Convenience has nothing to do with being lazy. BTW, yes I have keyless entry for my house and all other places I need to enter (keypad lock, badge, phone...). I don't carry keys anymore tearing a hole in my pockets. The only key I have to carry is the car fob now, but I only take it with me if I'm going somewhere with my car. Anyway, yes keyless systems had their issues. As I mentioned earlier, the latest MB system has a motion sensor in the fob, so that it disables itself automatically and thieves can't steal the car from your driveway if you leave your car outside. I park mine in my garage, so this has never been even remotely a concern for me. Security is like an onion. You need multiple layers. If you are this afraid of the technology, you are probably better off selling your car and buy an older used model that still has physical keys. I certainly don't miss locking my physical key in my cars anymore and having to call AAA. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. The question is do the positives outweigh the negatives and they do for keyless GO.
This.

It's easy to round up a few articles on any safety and convenience option introduced in the last decades. Leaving a car running unfortunately introduces safety issues with or without a physical key and whoever has lived in Europe has been familiar with mostly eastern European car thefts rings that were able to lift cars, no matter the security tech... Only the tools have changed.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:26 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Have you ever been out skating (skateboarding) and fallen on the fawking keys in your pocket? Leaves a hipper like to other lol.