S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Automatic lowering at speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C217 S550
Automatic lowering at speed

Hi guys, I've recently realized that my car is lowering at speed, and doesn't seem to be going back to "sport" height once I've slowed down. Does anyone happen to have info on when it's supposed to lift back up?

More specifically, the issue I'm having is that a few months ago I lowered my S550 on links, added some 22's and spacers, and got it to a perfect stance. I drove it for 3,000 miles without any issues, and now, all of a sudden, the car starts rubbing hard as soon as I take an off-ramp. Once I park, the car is about 1/2" - 3/4" lower than where I had manually set the height to. If there was some way to override the automatic lowering at speed, that would be ideal. Any ideas on what to do/look for here to resolve this?
Old 07-30-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
My guess is that you have damaged something in the suspension. Lowering the car with links, putting 22" wheels with rubber band thickness tires and adding spacers to the mix is very hard on the struts as you are eliminating about 80 of the struts capacity to absorb shocks. It is not a honda civic. The suspension on these cars is very sophisticated and the level of tweaking that you have done will undoubtedly lead to all kinds of problems. Probably blew out the dampeners in the struts. New struts all around will run you around 2K reman plus install if that is in fact what has happened.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 PM

C217 S550
Originally Posted by superpop
My guess is that you have damaged something in the suspension. Lowering the car with links, putting 22" wheels with rubber band thickness tires and adding spacers to the mix is very hard on the struts as you are eliminating about 80 of the struts capacity to absorb shocks. It is not a honda civic. The suspension on these cars is very sophisticated and the level of tweaking that you have done will undoubtedly lead to all kinds of problems. Probably blew out the dampeners in the struts. New struts all around will run you around 2K reman plus install if that is in fact what has happened.
Thanks, but I don't think that the struts are blown out. The car absorbs bumps and rebounds just as it did from the factory. I think that the issue could be one of the ride height sensors that the links are attached to, as the issue only occurs intermittently. Pushing the lift button raises it back up without issue (although I can't don't this at highway speeds).
Old 07-30-2020, 05:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
S550 4Matic
Pure insanity when the car does what it is supposed to do and messes with the modifications you’ve made. Ludicrous I say, simply ludicrous!
Old 07-30-2020, 06:51 PM

C217 S550
Originally Posted by MacMP
Pure insanity when the car does what it is supposed to do and messes with the modifications you’ve made. Ludicrous I say, simply ludicrous!
Very constructive, this forum is so lucky to have you as a member!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
S550 4Matic
@bb2020. I didn’t know humor wasn’t permitted in here. Maybe you should trade your Special Class for a 1975 Towncar and patronize that forum. You’ll find lots of lowered land yachts there and none of them has to worry about the sophistication of MB engineering getting in the way. Good grief.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
The airmatic struts are not just a static shock that are either working or not. They may not be blown but rather bent or damaged to the point that they are sending the wrong information to the airmatic system. Either that or you have a pump error. I am sure it worked fine for a while but these mods have dramatically increased the wear and tear on the suspension. You have a 4800lb car plus passenger and fuel weight resting on probably 1" of tire and air and a strut that is damn near at the bottom of its stroke. You are trying to do gangster s$%t to a car that will punish you with repair bills and unreliability, not to mention the potential damage to your fenders and tires if you hit a big bump.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by bb2020
Very constructive, this forum is so lucky to have you as a member!
I would put the car back to its stock parameters and see what happens. I used to try to do things to cars like you've done and with the computerized and mechanical sophistications of modern day automobiles, these type of mods are harder to do without screwing up these works of art. I had a W12 Phaeton and I used a VAGCOM device to lower the car but it caused a harsh ride. It didn't do any harm but these cars are built with many engineers behind the scenes and they are the way they are for a reason. Welcome to the forum and ignore the smart *** comments.
The following 4 users liked this post by MBS63AMG:
bb2020 (08-01-2020), ccww (07-30-2020), Doubleredrolex (03-01-2022), QuadBenz (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Once you manage to diagnose and fix the current problem you may want to consider forgoing the lowering links for the reasons stated by other members, especially if they prove to have caused this problem.

While any lowering beyond factory specs will have some effect on ride and longevity, you can lower this car electronically either via an OBD module or Xentry/DTS. This should keep the car from lowering excessively at speed and prevent some of the problems with links. Your wheels may still be problematic if their overall dimensions deviate from the stock dimensions.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W222 S550 4Matic and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My experience in my 220 and 222 is that the car lowers at highway speeds without me noticing it. However when I first come to a complete stop after existing the freeway, the ride height will gently increase. The increase is slow and subtle so I only notice if I zone out and stare out the window at a fixed object while stopped.

As others have rightly pointed out, you have made several alterations that have either damaged suspension components or you have confused the suspension module which is operating with inaccurate information.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
15 MB Sprinter, 14 MB S550, 08 Smart Fortwo, 04 Dodge Sprinter, 87 MB 190E 2.3-16
I've been using lowering inks on my 222 since brand new, 2014. Knock on wood, no problems yet and this is a daily driver lowered approximately 2".

I can tell you that I had the similar symptoms on my 221, started off with ELM then moved onto lowering links (but I believe neither caused the issue). The issue was due to a faulty ride height sensor and it was verifiable through the diagnostic computer. Difference between yours is my 221 would give a suspension malfunction on dash, seems like you are not getting one on the 222. If you decide to replace any of the sensors you will have to recalibrate with the diagnostic computer.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Problem is if you car is rubbing at 1/2 to 3/4" from ride height your too low. The shocks need to have compression and you appear to have eliminated that and probably blew out the shock by bottoming it out. In the coil over world its for very inch of extension you have 2" of compression.

How low have you lowered the car as if you have only 3/4" of compression how does it drive? Try and raise car with button on console to see if it raises at all.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:06 PM

C217 S550
Originally Posted by josephpampliega
I've been using lowering inks on my 222 since brand new, 2014. Knock on wood, no problems yet and this is a daily driver lowered approximately 2".

I can tell you that I had the similar symptoms on my 221, started off with ELM then moved onto lowering links (but I believe neither caused the issue). The issue was due to a faulty ride height sensor and it was verifiable through the diagnostic computer. Difference between yours is my 221 would give a suspension malfunction on dash, seems like you are not getting one on the 222. If you decide to replace any of the sensors you will have to recalibrate with the diagnostic computer.

Good luck.
I appreciate your response. I’ll get a diagnostic computer plugged in to check if I’ve got an issue with the ride height sensor or something else I’m fairly certain I haven’t blown a shock, yet. The rubbing can likely be rectified by removing the spacers and adjusting the height a bit, but it’s the stance of the vehicle that makes me enjoy it - otherwise I’ll return it to stock and sell it.

I too had my W221 lowered on links without any issues for 2 years, ran my W218 CLS63 on KW V1/links from brand new to 50k miles without a single issue as well. Funny to see how some people think it’s sacrilegious to mod an S550. I’ve done worse to better cars. 😂

Old 08-01-2020, 06:09 PM

C217 S550
Originally Posted by SilverArrow44
My experience in my 220 and 222 is that the car lowers at highway speeds without me noticing it. However when I first come to a complete stop after existing the freeway, the ride height will gently increase. The increase is slow and subtle so I only notice if I zone out and stare out the window at a fixed object while stopped.

As others have rightly pointed out, you have made several alterations that have either damaged suspension components or you have confused the suspension module which is operating with inaccurate information.
The issue I seem to be experiencing is that it is not raising back up after exiting the highway. I’ll do some troubleshooting.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
sorry cant help, on my 221 I also had links and blew the 2 rear shocks out. But the car didnt drop to the floor and rode fine exept for over bumps. Brought it to my Indy and he said it was fine... back to the dealer and new rear shocks...fixed the problm.