S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

RW CARBON spoiler review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
RW CARBON spoiler review "DONT BUY!"

Ok last time I posted i had issues with RW and wanted to post a follow up. I have sold my car to a friend and he wanted a few things done before he picked up.

I emailed RW in hopes to rectify an old issue. I was surprised they had the spoiler rear spoiler in stock and we paid for the expedited shipping and had the next day which was a day earlier than expected.

The spoiler is a nice piece. No it isn't a $1600 Renntech spoiler but at a 1/4 of the price it looked good to my eyes.

Fitment was good but even with 30 years in auto body experience I did question if there was an issue. They responded quickly and assured they are able to get them on. The issue for me was the outer edges would hit the trunk preventing the middle from contacting the trunk. They mentioned using VHB tape which is thicker than most double sided tapes. I doubled the standard tape on the top and mounted it on the spoilers edge vs the recess. It still took quite a bit of trial fitment and layout but it is on and it lays flat. I am a very picky person and do question the pressure and if the tape will fail but 3M tapes are extremely strong and have proven reliable in the past. These spoiler don't lay on the trunk but hang off the back.

All in all a good product at a great price. Any customer service issues appear to have been ironed out and this time the order went flawlessly. Take your time and know exactly how your going to apply before you pull the tape. Make sure to apply to the edge to compensate for any misalignment and all should be good to go. There were no instructions included and think thats a mistake and advised them to include.

I will post a pic or two.

Last edited by DABRONX; 11-26-2020 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stever500 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 03:46 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
FOLLOW UP!!!!!

Just like I suspected the spoiler pulled away do to not fitting the contour of the trunk and causing the tape to fail.

I was an ASE Certified mechanic, collision repair and estimator. I have every I Car cert that was avail when I was in that industry. I have more years and experience fabricating everything from chassis to body parts than most shops have. I have built cars that have been in magazines and won major awards. What I am getting at is although I am no longer in that field I know what I am doing.

I orig contacte them abou tthe fitment

They explained it was difficult to install and to use VHB tape not the supplied tape. VHB is a thicker tape but does not have the same bond as regular 3M tape. 3M tapes are hard to decipher as the bond is material specific so just because it say very high bond doesn't mean its their stickiest tape.

I installed the spoiler but it required my 220lbs pushing hard against it to pull it in.

Of course after a couple heat cycles in the SoCal heat it started to pull away. When I removed it you could see that any about 50% at best ever made contact on both trunk and spoiler. I have tried 3x's now and it is just doesn't fit and forcing it on will only lead to failure again. We even doubled the tape in hopes the exta give would help but it looked bush league. We is me and my buddy who is still in the field.

I have contacted RW Carbon and it has been crickets! Not a response. I tried to do the right thing as last time we had an issue with shipping and didnt like leaving bad words out there over $500.

It s a $50-70 spoiler and I showed them it didnt fit. They should have taken back and sent another as the profit margin is ridiculously high. The whole deal is they are supposed to weed out the junk ones do to poor off shore quality. There is no its difficult to install its a spoiler it either lays flat with the contour or it doesn't. There was no issue with the installation its with the spoiler fitting.

In the end my bad for trying. My buddy who bought car had saw it when it had orig Renntech one and I told him I would get him a spoiler but I couldn't spend $1800 on one. I now have a $500 paperweight that yes has a small scratch and looks like crap on the underside from being removed 3x's. They should have taken back from orig pics.

Follow your eye from the center and see off the gap is in the center there is a light shinning underneath. That is the red from the tape before its pulled. You can see how it sits flat on the ends and is out about 1/8 to 3/16 without heavy pressure. Yes thats a adhesion promoter package stuck in there thats how off it is.