S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Carrying bicycles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550e, Bolt EV
Carrying bicycles

I own a road bike and mountain bike and am trying to carry the bikes without using the interior or limited trunk space.

I would prefer a trailer hitch type system, but I see the S550e is not rated to tow. No aftermarket companies offer a premade system...

I have considered uhaul custom hitch services. But with a PHEV, I question where the charge cables run and if it would impact the hitch install. Then you read horror stories about custom Uhaul hitches and crappy job they do. I only need to carry bicycles, not tow 2000lbs.

I see there are places on roofline to attach a bicycle roof rack. I don’t like this idea very much because you cannot remove or install the rack easily when not in use. It also just sits there burning fuel and creating wind noise... Not the best solution. But I know quality racks do exist. I read of an OEM rack but can’t find it online...

There are the suction cup style removable bike racks (seasucker) which I’m thinking is my favorite solution so far. I’m attracted by the easy install/removal and future compatibility but am scared to accidentally use the sunroof, or damage the paint on the roof / trunk. But it remains the most promising solution.

What do y’all think is the best solution? Any experience with custom hitches? Anyone try the oem rack? Thanks...

Last edited by Ian Ffield; 11-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 S560 Sedan
I struggled with the same issues and concluded that the best option was just to spread a moving blanket in the rear seat, remove the bike's front wheel, and everything fit just fine. I was worried about damaging the leather, but the moving blanket did the trick.
The following users liked this post:
hangfour (06-15-2024)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Use the proper Mercedes or Thule roof “feet” or “towers” to mount roof crossbars. Then use a Thule bike rack. Done.

Another option is a Thule trunk-mounted bike rack. Done.

Suction cups don’t seem acceptably reliable in my view.

Loading and unloading the bike in the back seat will damage the interior if done often enough.

I wouldn’t butcher an S-Class with a U-Haul hitch.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:34 PM

S550e, Bolt EV
Originally Posted by chassis
Use the proper Mercedes or Thule roof “feet” or “towers” to mount roof crossbars. Then use a Thule bike rack. Done.

Another option is a Thule trunk-mounted bike rack. Done.

Suction cups don’t seem acceptably reliable in my view.

Loading and unloading the bike in the back seat will damage the interior if done often enough.

I wouldn’t butcher an S-Class with a U-Haul hitch.
I visited Thule website and searched around for 2014-2017 w222 bike racks, both rear trunk mounted and roof mounted. But it seems they simply don’t sell/recommended accessories for the w222. I’ve had the same experience with the official Mercedes website...

chassis (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ian Ffield
I visited Thule website and searched around for 2014-2017 w222 bike racks, both rear trunk mounted and roof mounted. But it seems they simply don’t sell/recommended accessories for the w222. I’ve had the same experience with the official Mercedes website...

@Ian Ffield Thule offers a trunk mount rack for the C-Class and BMW 5-Series. Nothing for S-Class as you noted. Nothing for E-Class or BMW 7er.

Couple of thoughts -
-- Thule doesn't want liability/warranty exposure for damage from their racks, on high dollar vehicles like the S-Class or 7er.
-- The S-Class and 7er could have aluminum trunk lids, this is a guess. Do you know if your S-Class has an aluminum trunk lid? A magnet will answer the question. Lay a microfiber on the paint, and apply the magnet to the back of the microfiber to avoid scratches in the paint. The stabilizing straps and their hooks may put too much stress on the edges of an aluminum trunk lid.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:27 PM

S550e, Bolt EV
Originally Posted by chassis
@Ian Ffield Thule offers a trunk mount rack for the C-Class and BMW 5-Series. Nothing for S-Class as you noted. Nothing for E-Class or BMW 7er.

Couple of thoughts -
-- Thule doesn't want liability/warranty exposure for damage from their racks, on high dollar vehicles like the S-Class or 7er.
-- The S-Class and 7er could have aluminum trunk lids, this is a guess. Do you know if your S-Class has an aluminum trunk lid? A magnet will answer the question. Lay a microfiber on the paint, and apply the magnet to the back of the microfiber to avoid scratches in the paint. The stabilizing straps and their hooks may put too much stress on the edges of an aluminum trunk lid.
Okay, I tested with a magnet and the trunk lid indeed must be aluminum since the magnet won’t stick. But the magnet does stick on other body panels.

I think I’ll call the local Mercedes-Benz dealer parts department to see if they can help me before I last resort to the Seasuckers...
Old 03-05-2023, 03:46 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I see this thread is from a few years ago. Did anyone find a solution for bikes? I did find what was supposed to be an OEM roof rack on eBay. But not sure what fits on it.

I’m also interested in carrying a two piece surfboard. I haven’t tried it on the back seat but I doubt it will fit. It comes apart and fits in a bag.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Bit of an old thread and I'm guessing OP ended up going with the Seasuckers. I can vouch for the Seasuckers myself. Have used them for years on my coupes w/o any adverse effects. Best solution if you don't want to mount an ugly rack that is just as likely to damage something if you bang into the paint with it. The Seasuckers are mounted in less than a minute and come off easily and each suction cup produces 200 lbs of force, so they don't come off. The only thing is that you can't really secure the bike on the roof if you need to park the car somewhere, but that isn't an issue for me as I just drive to where I'm gonna ride, then take it all off and store the mounts in the trunk, then put everything back on after the ride.

FWIW, they are used at the Tour de France and other cycling events to load tons of bikes on the roof of the support vehicles.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-05-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:27 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Ok superswiss, thanks for that. I still have the MB surfboard racks from my 2001 C240. I can’t seem to give them away.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E320 4matic 92K (bought 12/20/06). 2000 E430 4matic (RIP 12/9/06) :(
Considering an S560 - has anyone used a stealth hitch on this vehicle successfully to carry a hitch mounted bike rack? We already have a nice hitch mount bike rack we use with our other car, but whatever I get next, I really want to ensure it has the ability to tow a light trailer with kayaks and/or use with a hitch mounted bike rack. I really don't want to be messing around with mounting anything heavy to a pano roof!
Old 03-25-2024, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I have a set of the OEM MB racks for my 2019 S63 but it is the same rack for any W222 chassis. They work awesome, do not scratch anything up and you can mount just about anything to them. I have a Yakima basket for mine and I have hauled lumber from Home Depot in the basket. I would not use anything that puts any kind of weight or force on a pano roof system. I found this set on Ebay for around $150.00 or you can go to most on line MB dealers and order a set for around $500.00
Old 03-25-2024, 10:53 AM

2020 S560 4Matic
I haven’t found a good surfboard solution. But I haven’t looked that hard.

i have an old bike rack, a Yakima King Joe 2 that fits on the trunk. Never used it. Don’t know if it would work for a W222.

I don’t have a lot of clearance in my garage so not sure if I want bikes on the roof.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:02 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
that is why it is important to keep an SUV in the driveway so S doesnt' see bikes or rain!!
will_atl (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by badq45t
that is why it is important to keep an SUV in the driveway so S doesnt' see bikes or rain!!
Funny you say that. I had a GLC loaner once and wanted to go for a ride, so I thought great I can just throw the bike in the rear and be done with it. However, it wouldn't fit with the front wheel on w/o folding the backseats down, so a much bigger vehicle and I still had to take the front wheel off or first fold the seats down. It was also much more cumbersome to shove it in, extending my arms and trying to hold the bike up as to not scratch all over the trunk trying to get it fully in. Much easier to just lift it up on the roof standing on the side of my car. In addition, the bike just kept sliding around in the back. Was thinking to myself, all this extra cargo space and I find strapping my bike on the roof of my coupe with the Seasucker rack a much better solution and it doesn't slide all over the place when I zip up a winding road. Takes like 30 seconds to get it on or off w/o throwing my back out in the process.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:16 PM

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
Bikes -> That's why I have a 2012 Porsche Cayenne, I just need to ride my bike once in a while!
Rain -> S Class eats it up!
Old 03-28-2024, 10:48 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Funny you say that. I had a GLC loaner once and wanted to go for a ride, so I thought great I can just throw the bike in the rear and be done with it. However, it wouldn't fit with the front wheel on w/o folding the backseats down, so a much bigger vehicle and I still had to take the front wheel off or first fold the seats down. It was also much more cumbersome to shove it in, extending my arms and trying to hold the bike up as to not scratch all over the trunk trying to get it fully in. Much easier to just lift it up on the roof standing on the side of my car. In addition, the bike just kept sliding around in the back. Was thinking to myself, all this extra cargo space and I find strapping my bike on the roof of my coupe with the Seasucker rack a much better solution and it doesn't slide all over the place when I zip up a winding road. Takes like 30 seconds to get it on or off w/o throwing my back out in the process.
I miss my 2001 C240 with the folding rear seat. I could fit an 8’2” surfboard inside. Ward Coffey Santa Cruz, CA fun shape. I never put a bike in there but I bet it would fit. I had a roof rack for the 9’6”. I still have it and can’t get rid of it. And the tire chains.

i guess I could have the butler follow me in the SUV to carry the bike. I don’t leave it in the driveway. I put it in my 6 car garage along with the Buick Lacrosse also with the fold down seats and my time travel DeLorean.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
Originally Posted by will_atl
Bikes -> That's why I have a 2012 Porsche Cayenne, I just need to ride my bike once in a while!
Rain -> S Class eats it up!
Right X-Terra does both very well!!!
Old 03-29-2024, 03:29 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Right X-Terra does both very well!!!
????

When did Mercedes-Benz start building the X-Terra?