S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why did MB so obviously ruin the new S Class? After watching this review, NEVER!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Son must be a Video Game Designer, lol
The following users liked this post:
UrBusted (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Does you son work at Buckingham Palace? We're talking serious money with those two models that's over 400,000 pounds or more

God kill the Queen!
He has an IT Consultancy/Outsourcing company and started trading a year ago, he has big dreams but I can definitely say he's on the right track
hyperion667 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 CL550, 2011 XKR, 2016 Range Rover HSE, 2006 RX400h
The new W223 has more safety features, rides/handles better, is quieter and smoother, and the 'tacked-on' center screen can be easily replaced/upgraded so it's future-proof. What's more, unbelievably its turning radius is 2 feet shorter than W222!

Some people are just resistant to change.

Last edited by Wolfy90503; 12-11-2020 at 09:56 PM.
haYnBenz (01-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Ha! Just looked at the latest reviews for the new 223. Looks like I'm not the only one who thought they ruined the S Class. If you disagree with this, and there will be many here that will disagree, so be it. The majority I think are in this camp though:
```````````
"The new S-Class is destined to become the worst selling in a generation. The interior design is dreadful. The lack of hard buttons and switches will alienate its target customer. Mark my words the interior will be heavily revised within 3 years to present a more traditional luxury approach to save it’s dwindling customer base.
``````````
Absolutely right; completely agree with you - Awful interior - I predict the interior will be revised sooner. Social Medial feedback has been extremely negative, and the Mercedes Upper Mgmt is aware of this. The Front Dash is a disaster. The rest of the car is garbage compared to the W222 - The entire design team, interior and exterior should be fired immediately.4REPLY
`````````
Couldn’t agree more, this is a disaster and an enormous wasted opportunity
````````
They should honestly just scrap this whole piece of sh*t and start from scratch. Absolutely nothing about this new S-Class is exciting. The exterior looks like a previous gen s-class that got stung by a Japanese giant hornet, and the interior looks like you're tripping hard with that ridiculous ambient lighting and the UI on the screens (which by the way will date super quickly - it already looks dated).

`````````
I couldn’t agree more!
``````
the Ingenieurs were like: let's do something that looks like a bmw 7 and put an I - phone Inside but also a Laptop to copy tesla? - SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN 😂😂😂
````````
Design wise (interior/exterior) its a huge downtrend to the current model. The interior has literally to be a joke. Very uncreative and cold. These wannabe Tesla screens make the whole interior very unpropotional. Very sad what Mercedes is doing with the newer models (Except the new G class,GLE and GT)
``````
My opinion about this S class is that this car became a mediocre car, to be honest. Not too bad, but not thatt impressive, which doesn’t suit the S class. The w222 facelift model is just perfect, when you look at everything. Exterior is a perfect balance between luxury and sporty look. Front lights are agressive and luxurious at the same time, which suits the S class perfectly. Also, the rear lights are different from other big saloons and it just stands out, when you look from the back you know it’s S class. Interior also perfect, those 2 screens are just matching one another, you don’t have to move your eyes down, just look right and you will see everything you need and still no problem to focus on driving.

Steering wheel was the best ever, with touchpads but still they kept buttons.
When you look at this w223 model, you start to realize that Mercedes starts to copy everyone else and not be unique anymore. This S class looks straight up like Audi A8, just a little more elegant. Tail lights are disappointment because they are not luxurious, they suit a smaller saloon, but not the S class. Front is ok, nothing bad but nothing excellent either. Interior looks great when you look at the materials on the door, seats etc but it’s just not practical anymore. Steering wheel is so much harder to use.

That screen is similar to one from Tesla model S, and somehow to one from Audi A8, because they first started that trend from puting the central screen from up to down, and Mercedes saw that and copied instantly. It’s not bad but doesn’t suit the S class in my humble opinion. That 4-door steering is a nice solution but pretty hard to get used to. Also, the key... what the heck? What have they done to it? It was so beautiful in the previous facelift generation, this one looks horrible.
I’m so sad that S class is starting to look like everything else but not the S class.. I hope they do something about it. Mediocre and S class.. those terms are just not compatible...
````````
I couldn't agree more. You've said it perfectly as it is."
````````
Design wise (interior/exterior) its a huge downtrend to the current model. The interior has literally to be a joke. Very uncreative and cold. These wannabe Tesla screens make the whole interior very unpropotional. Very sad what Mercedes is doing with the newer models (Except the new G class,GLE and GT)
``````````
The grille is just too big.
Already in the previous generation, it was big, but now it is so big that it ate the bumper and it is comically disproportional to headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WBh...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-07-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by stever500
"The new S-Class is destined to become the worst selling in a generation. The interior design is dreadful. The lack of hard buttons and switches will alienate its target customer. Mark my words the interior will be heavily revised within 3 years to present a more traditional luxury approach to save it’s dwindling customer base.
I like it but I understand why the traditional S Class buyer of the last 20+ years wouldn't. I believe the target demographic of these cars has changed. One thing I can say is it is going to be nowhere near the worst selling S Class. In Dubai there's a few around the Marina and Jumeirah area. There's also a ton that are selling for £130,000 or $180,000+ around Ras Al Khor. The red and brown interiors seem to be the most common right now.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 S560 4matic Sedan. Official member of the 18" RIM CREW.
I don't find the exterior offensive, but I don't care for the interior at all. I also really don't want a hybrid powertrain (there may come a day that I will have no choice, but right now I am happy to own a twin-turbo V8!).

The only thing I might covet from the 223 is 4 wheel steering; it would be pretty sweet to be able to do a u-turn in ~35 feet.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 CL550, 2011 XKR, 2016 Range Rover HSE, 2006 RX400h
I will reserve judgment until I've seen the car in person.

But seriously, the S-Class is no longer 'Special'-Class ever since they decided to make all their cars look the same across the model line. Now the C- and E-Class and SUVs all have MBux, double-wide screens in the dash, Etc. and all look the same on the outside. Why should people pay big money for the S-Class ??
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by PatentLawyer
I don't find the exterior offensive, but I don't care for the interior at all. I also really don't want a hybrid powertrain (there may come a day that I will have no choice, but right now I am happy to own a twin-turbo V8!).

The only thing I might covet from the 223 is 4 wheel steering; it would be pretty sweet to be able to do a u-turn in ~35 feet.

Seems like my S560 with the magic body control and the curve setting sorta does a similar thing. I had it in the curve setting today and took an on ramp really fast and the rear end felt really strange as the car really leaned into that corner aggressively, kinda caught me off guard. Really does help out in the corners as it feels like every turn is a banked corner kinda like what they do with some of the on and off ramps off the highways, you take those in that setting and it's like a double banked corner, lol
PatentLawyer (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,449 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Wolfy90503

But seriously, the S-Class is no longer 'Special'-Class ever since they decided to make all their cars look the same across the model line. Now the C- and E-Class and SUVs all have MBux, double-wide screens in the dash, Etc. and all look the same on the outside. Why should people pay big money for the S-Class ??
Personally it's the drive. If you drive the three there is a distinguishable difference. Otherwise the E would suffice for most. I do agree however that the S is no longer as special as it once was, even if it considered by many to be the best car in the world. MB has really diluted the brand with so many offerings looking the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
Donnymac (01-08-2021), PatentLawyer (01-08-2021), Streamliner (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,645 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by places
Personally it's the drive. If you drive the three there is a distinguishable difference. Otherwise the E would suffice for most. I do agree however that the S is no longer as special as it once was, even if it considered by many to be the best car in the world. MB has really diluted the brand with so many offerings looking the same.
Agreed, the difference is in how they drive. The smaller cars in every lineup just don't drive like these big flagship sedans.
The following 4 users liked this post by SW20S:
Donnymac (01-08-2021), PatentLawyer (01-08-2021), Sactownmb (09-28-2021), Streamliner (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:03 AM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 S560 4matic Sedan. Official member of the 18" RIM CREW.
Yep. The E-class is not a short wheelbase S-class. Far from it.
Streamliner (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
On You tube there is a video were someone super imposes the w222 and w223 over each other and besides for the tail lights they are very similar. There is a camp of people who feel they didnt change it enough vs changing too much.

I am in process of buying new car and was going Bentley but have held off pending seeing the w223 in the flesh. I get the lack of buttons but its just a sign of the times and what the younger buyers want.

There seams to be a shift of wealth or should i say false sense of wealth. Look anywhere and luxury goods are in fashion with younger people. Lamborghini can even keep up with the demand.It used to be you worked hard and succeeded and now its you get 72-100 months of payments and live in your parents basement.

Seeing a luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes was a finger pointing moment now you cant drive a block without seeing one. They are going for a younger buyer and it isnt changing anytime soon. Look at BMW doubling down on what everybody in every forum swore was the end of BMW with the big grilles.

Its a nice looking car and I will wait till I sit in one to pass judgement.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:28 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,839 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by DABRONX
On You tube there is a video were someone super imposes the w222 and w223 over each other and besides for the tail lights they are very similar. There is a camp of people who feel they didnt change it enough vs changing too much.

I am in process of buying new car and was going Bentley but have held off pending seeing the w223 in the flesh. I get the lack of buttons but its just a sign of the times and what the younger buyers want.

There seams to be a shift of wealth or should i say false sense of wealth. Look anywhere and luxury goods are in fashion with younger people. Lamborghini can even keep up with the demand.It used to be you worked hard and succeeded and now its you get 72-100 months of payments and live in your parents basement.

Seeing a luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes was a finger pointing moment now you cant drive a block without seeing one. They are going for a younger buyer and it isnt changing anytime soon. Look at BMW doubling down on what everybody in every forum swore was the end of BMW with the big grilles.

Its a nice looking car and I will wait till I sit in one to pass judgement.
Fawk that LOL! I pass judgement! It's ugly and I'd never buy one.

You do make some good points though
stever500 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A6
Originally Posted by Wolfy90503

Originally Posted by places
I pick the S for the ride quality. I don't mind too much that it looks like its brethren.
I'm sure the S63AMG crowds says the same thing about the S560/S450.

MB will end up selling more E and C class vehicles while selling less S class.
(just making up numbers here) As MB, if you can sell 10,000 more E and 15,000 more C class while losing 2,000 S class sales, what would you do?
Old 01-08-2021, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by DABRONX
Seeing a luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes was a finger pointing moment now you cant drive a block without seeing one.
I remember when Mercedes were so rare (and special IMHO) that you literally beeped when you saw another one coming toward you. In those days they were considered ugly and not nearly as luxurious compared to the flashier American offerings.
superangrypenguin (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,449 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I remember when Mercedes were so rare (and special IMHO) that you literally beeped when you saw another one coming toward you. In those days they were considered ugly and not nearly as luxurious compared to the flashier American offerings.
Rare and quirky. However there was something inherently special about a Benz. You knew they were the best and there was nothing else like it. Also was an aspirational acquisition. Today the goal of MB is to have one of their vehicles in every driveway.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by superswiss
I think he means the Bentley Flying Spur and RR Ghost.
Had a new Flying Spur rental for a week, absolutely love that car.
The following 2 users liked this post by absent:
stever500 (01-11-2021), superangrypenguin (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
The new S-Class will most likely drive better, handle better and perform better then my current S63 but I really can't see myself living with that God awful dashboard.
I threw all the crap I could get at the poor Tesla only to see it thrown back in my face by having the beloved S-Class ape that design.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 920 Likes on 605 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Picture of the EQS dashboard. I do not know if there will be the ugly huge tablet screen also...

Old 01-09-2021, 08:33 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,839 Posts
2012 CLS63
Question

Originally Posted by absent
Had a new Flying Spur rental for a week, absolutely love that car.
Where does one rent a car like that?
Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Now that I've sat in the W223 I will simply state this.

Lexus made a cognizant decision with the 2018 Lexus LS500 launch that they were going to go down the age bracket to target younger affluent buyers. I didn't like the ride/noise but I respect their corporate decision/aspiration. Is MB trying to do the same with the W223? If so, I think it answers a lot of questions that the OP is asking. I am in the age/income bracket but not in the 'I want no class in my interior but just want a big screen" category so the W223 didn't do it for me.

Now give it 5 seconds for the MB trolls to go "Your Bentley is just a VW". [children, go away.]
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Where pray tell did you sit in a W223?

And you don’t have a Bentley lol
Old 01-09-2021, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by SW20S
Where pray tell did you sit in a W223?

And you don’t have a Bentley lol
I don't have time in life for trolls.

Blocked.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Right, I’m the troll. Nothing better to do on a Saturday night huh?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:16 AM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I am going to wait to see the car in person. And... Stever500 I hope you live longer than 10 years!
stever500 (01-11-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did MB so obviously ruin the new S Class? After watching this review, NEVER!