S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Put my Maybach up for sale on the general forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Ditto here re warranties. I think back at the $ I've saved, including all those policys that are offered today on practically everthing you buy, I realize what a waste warranties are and the money reps make by selling them. I remember when I bought my LS460 Lexus, the finance guy must have asked me at least 5 times if I wanted the ext. warr. Then to top that off, just before I drove off the lot, the salesman asked me if I bought the warr. They all get a piece of the action. I've had that '11 Lexus now for 8 years and have never had a problem other than the battery going in less than a year. Despite the car being a CPO with its ext. warr., I was told that batteries are not covered, lol.

Off the subject but even looking at my homeowners ins., in today's $'s it has run about $5k/yr (higher than other parts of the US due to S. FL and hurricanes). We've lived here 51 years which totals $255k in paid premiums, again in today's $'s reflecting inflation. Total claims, $35k. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have carried it as quite a few friends here have decided to do.

And Dave, what does Biden & CNN have to do with this? Most know that MB's at the turn of the century had their share of problems and DO NOT compare to their cars of today. Even the CEO said back then that they had to produce better quality cars.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 382 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I agree that warranties are a suckers bet. My 2015 S 4Matic has been pretty much flawless since new. Did replace one strut for around 400 bucks and have done services, brakes and tires but other than that nothing. You cannot come on a forum though and announce the sale of your car and not have people comment on the price if it is perceived to be a bit high. I just do not know anyone who would spend 80K on a 5 year old German luxury sedan with 75K miles on it. In 25K miles it will be worth 50K at best as the 100K mile mark is the beginning of the very expensive death march to hooptie town for these cars. You never know though, there may be a buyer out there at the set price. GLWS.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superpop
You cannot come on a forum though and announce the sale of your car and not have people comment on the price if it is perceived to be a bit high. I just do not know anyone who would spend 80K on a 5 year old German luxury sedan with 75K miles on it. In 25K miles it will be worth 50K at best as the 100K mile mark is the beginning of the very expensive death march to hooptie town for these cars. You never know though, there may be a buyer out there at the set price. GLWS.
These types of comments do not belong here. I'm a member of Vette and Lexus forums and such negative remarks regarding sales' listings are generally removed by moderators with the posters potentially barred from further activity.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry if my comments offended anyone. I was under the impression that we could all freely express our OPINIONS in a forum like this. The OP herself is a frequent critic and comments on the pricing on ELW products that are typically posted on these forums. I stand by my comment though that when you put something on this site for sale, you may get commentary on the price. I also hope she sells the car and is happy with the price she gets.
The following 3 users liked this post by superpop:
DaveW68 (01-24-2021), hyperion667 (01-24-2021), places (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,852 Posts
2012 CLS63
We're all familiar with each other here, and yes, of course there will be comments of decent, take them for what they're worth and move on! WHY is everyone so damned sensitive these days?? I understand what Emilner said a few posts back about 'not having anything nice to say, then say nothing' but everyone here is allowed their opinion......I think the real problem here is folks just being put off or triggered by an opinion other than their own. This isn't an actual 'FOR SALE' thread either is it? It was merely to alert 'us all' that peruse the S class forums that it is for sale.
Seriously folks: lighten up!
The following users liked this post:
DaveW68 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:51 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
These types of comments do not belong here. I'm a member of Vette and Lexus forums and such negative remarks regarding sales' listings are generally removed by moderators with the posters potentially barred from further activity.
Sounds like some seriously UPTIGHT forums over there .....are we in Russia or something??
MacMP (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Personally I think the pricing comments are not line crossers (however they are negative and serve no purpose, therefore should not be made) but questioning the integrity or longevity of a car for sale is unwarranted and does not belong here. It serves no purpose, it's pure speculation, undermining, and it negatively effects the cars salability for no good reason. It's basically whoever is considering this car, beware, it's going to blow up on you and it will cost you a fortune to fix.
emilner (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 366 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Katie22
Dave the problem for you is that your statements about the V12 are out of date. The engine in my car is a heavily updated engine over the one from the 2000s.
Umm....wrong. Ask any MB mechanic who has actually worked on the V12's over the last 15 years. Most parts from a 2003 S600 V12 are interchangeable with your car's.

The other thing is you like a lot of people here tie into this dire need for some garbage extended warranty. I have for years now defended FACTS and ALL experts by saying that an extended warranty on ALL cars built today is a waste of money. That sir is the argument I have made with you.
You have your opinion on extended warranties. I've expressed mine when it comes to high-end German cars. I think it's a suckers bet to own a car like yours starting at 75k miles without coverage because expensive things WILL break in the next couple of years. But if someone buys your car and budgets say $10k per year for repairs (plus maintenance), then they'll likely be OK.

If my price is too high thats fine you simply wont buy it. But then again I would NOT sell my car to you because you would have all these fears that the car would burst into flames because as you put it that's what happens to big dollar cars and I dont have any extended warranty on anything I own.
You're being smart getting out of it now before expensive things start to go.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Sounds like some seriously UPTIGHT forums over there .....are we in Russia or something??
No, it's just common sense to me to not comment negatively about someone's asking price. If you don't agree, perhaps you'd understand better if you listed something for sale and then had people say it's overpriced.

This has nothing to do with Russia, Biden, CNN or the First Amendment. It's called common curtesy and respect for the seller.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
No, it's just common sense to me to not comment negatively about someone's asking price. If you don't agree, perhaps you'd understand better if you listed something for sale and then had people say it's overpriced.

This has nothing to do with Russia, Biden, CNN or the First Amendment. It's called common curtesy and respect for the seller.
100%. seems like this thread has been hijacked. too bad.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,786 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm one of the top posters on ClubLexus and this thread wouldn't have drawn any reaction from Moderators save for perhaps being closed for being off topic. In fact I remember a very similar thread where a member in the LS460 forum was complaining because nobody would buy his car when it was dramatically overpriced, and when I suggested it was overpriced the response was very similar to this, he was insulted that I would suggest that and did not react well lol.

At the end of the day, the OP just doesn't really want to sell the car. Which is fine. She's still attached to it and this is like the test balloon for letting it go. One thing I have learned from taking amazing care of cars is when it comes time to sell or trade them, the care I have taken means very little. You take care and maintain for your own enjoyment. I do agree that the price is way too high. Might someone come along and buy it? Sure but its not likely and if she really wanted to sell the car she would price it lower or she would have taken the $65k offered to her by the dealer.

Mileage really kills the value of cars like this, Lexus included.

As for warranties, warranties are basically insurance. Whether or not you get one depends on your ability to self insure (as in to pony up if some large repair is needed) or your desire to deal with that at the time vs paying upfront for coverage.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by DaveW68

You have your opinion on extended warranties. I've expressed mine when it comes to high-end German cars. I think it's a suckers bet to own a car like yours starting at 75k miles without coverage because expensive things WILL break in the next couple of years. But if someone buys your car and budgets say $10k per year for repairs (plus maintenance), then they'll likely be OK.
I have a 09 BMW 3281 with over 350,000 ks thats 220,000 miles, apart from normal service and maintenance items its been trouble free from new, can you look into your crystal ball and let me know when the major issue will be?

You cant really generalise on a individual vehicle, you can only speculate and say that there might be a issue in the future based on the issues that some people have had, we need to know how were these cars that failed looked after?, did the owners drive them like they should be?, did they beat the crap out of them daily?, did they run them on 98 or did they cheap out and run them on 91?, was the right oils used when serviced?, were they serviced?, by the dealer or by a indie?, there are too many variables that can contribute to a cars failure, what makes my BMW so special but others have failed at 100,000ks..

You really cant answer any one of these questions, so therefore you cant speculate on the car in question without knowing its intimate history, you can only speculate on the cars that failed that you still dont know the history of, I know mechanics that will tell you a certain brand of car is a money pit, from their experience, but there are always cars that just keep going with no dramas that you wont hear about as they just keep going being looked after the right way.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
I have a 09 BMW 3281 with over 350,000 ks thats 220,000 miles, apart from normal service and maintenance items its been trouble free from new, can you look into your crystal ball and let me know when the major issue will be?

You cant really generalise on a individual vehicle, you can only speculate and say that there might be a issue in the future based on the issues that some people have had, we need to know how were these cars that failed looked after?, did the owners drive them like they should be?, did they beat the crap out of them daily?, did they run them on 98 or did they cheap out and run them on 91?, was the right oils used when serviced?, were they serviced?, by the dealer or by a indie?, there are too many variables that can contribute to a cars failure, what makes my BMW so special but others have failed at 100,000ks..

You really cant answer any one of these questions, so therefore you cant speculate on the car in question without knowing its intimate history, you can only speculate on the cars that failed that you still dont know the history of, I know mechanics that will tell you a certain brand of car is a money pit, from their experience, but there are always cars that just keep going with no dramas that you wont hear about as they just keep going being looked after the right way.
But you could very well have a large mechanical issue tomorrow. Just because you have not had issues doesn't mean that statistically issues are not common to the model.

Lets put it this way, I would not own the OP's car or my car without a warranty. There are just too many things that could go wrong and cost a lot and I just don't want to deal with that over my head. Had I kept my LS460L, I would have gotten a warranty for that too and thats knowing how incredibly it had been maintained.
DaveW68 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:55 AM

12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by SW20S
But you could very well have a large mechanical issue tomorrow. Just because you have not had issues doesn't mean that statistically issues are not common to the model.

Lets put it this way, I would not own the OP's car or my car without a warranty. There are just too many things that could go wrong and cost a lot and I just don't want to deal with that over my head. Had I kept my LS460L, I would have gotten a warranty for that too and thats knowing how incredibly it had been maintained.
If things are going to be too expensive then why buy a car that is renowned for being expensive?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
If things are going to be too expensive then why buy a car that is renowned for being expensive?
Because that car has a lot of great attributes and performance, and the risk of potential repairs can be mitigated with a warranty.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:03 AM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by places
Personally I think the pricing comments are not line crossers (however they are negative and serve no purpose, therefore should not be made) but questioning the integrity or longevity of a car for sale is unwarranted and does not belong here. It serves no purpose, it's pure speculation, undermining, and it negatively effects the cars salability for no good reason. It's basically whoever is considering this car, beware, it's going to blow up on you and it will cost you a fortune to fix.
I respectfully disagree with your position regarding the value of the pricing comments. This is a well educated group in reference to the S-Class. Feedback/input of what a fair price is to a potential purchaser like me is invaluable.

I can reference NADA blue book clean trade ($60,800), black book ($54,750), Mannheim auction ($58,550), and KBB Private Party ($52,739 - $59,388), but there is a flaw in those references. The flaw comes into play due to the volume of both original sales and in resales. The pool simply isn’t large enough to make this published data reliable AND the fact that trade in values are manipulated with cash-to-dealer incentives that most of us never see, causes an artificial inflation compared to what the market would pay. This isn’t a Nissan Maxima...

The pool of members on this forum is as close to the actual market as any I have access to. I regard these as informed opinions and they help me evaluate the potential purchase.

You see, if I buy it, I will not only pay Katie $X, but I will also pay for an inspection and shipping from Florida to far-west Texas. If I buy it, and me or my wife finds it uncomfortable, I will have to sell it. I’d like to minimize my loss if I have to flip this car in short order; $80,000 grand is not that price-point. I also don’t want Katie, or any other seller, to invest what amounts to wasted time in a buyer. Ultimately, Katie will receive one or more offers, and she will decide whether one of them is acceptable.

Thanks for reading and considering this perspective.

DaveW68 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:05 AM

Because that car has a lot of great attributes and performance, and the risk of potential repairs can be mitigated with a warranty.
In Australia second hand warranty's are not worth the paper they are printed on, too many rules, and when it comes to the crunch there is some reason they wont cover said item, so when it comes to buying a expensive car you have to realise that there will be repairs, just the same as if you purchase a second hand Hyundai, they break you have to fix them.

Still cant see how 1 person experience can be what is the norm for a particular model, as in my case, if I listen to what is said on a forum my car should have killed me 150,000ks ago.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
In Australia second hand warranty's are not worth the paper they are printed on, too many rules, and when it comes to the crunch there is some reason they wont cover said item, so when it comes to buying a expensive car you have to realise that there will be repairs, just the same as if you purchase a second hand Hyundai, they break you have to fix them.
I don't live in Australia so I can't comment on warranties there, but like I said before I would never buy one of these cars without a warranty (and in the US you can in fact buy worthwhile warranties), unless it was so old and so cheap that wasn't something that was viable. $80,000 isnt cheap though, I would personally choose a much newer S560 with a warranty over paying $80,000 for an S600 with 75k miles on it. I recognize that when you buy expensive things you have to repair them, which is why I wouldn't buy one without a warranty.

Still cant see how 1 person experience can be what is the norm for a particular model, as in my case, if I listen to what is said on a forum my car should have killed me 150,000ks ago
Except that you're arguing that one person's experience (yours) is what should be regarded as the norm. Thats how probabilities go, you've been lucky but the issues out there pertaining to your car are well documented. For someone else who buys one looking at your experience, they may have a lot of issues.
DaveW68 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550

I certainly can "generalise"....lol...on a certain vehicle. Especially when I had one that had been meticulously maintained at the dealership with full service records from mile 1 without one iota of abuse. Heck, even the 40k mile service had been performed by 20k miles on mine. I knew going in what the history of the V12 bi-turbo motored S600 was as I ardently researched this and other MB boards. So I knew that I would never purchase one unless I could get a warranty with exclusionary coverage. Now somebody like you or Katie probably would have called me stupid or paranoid for purchasing coverage on a 24k mile car from Southern CA driven by only one owner in his 70's that had been meticulously maintained. But like I said, in only 23k miles and just over 3 years, it had already paid out over $24k in claims. So I bring experience to this conversation.

Generally speaking, entry and mid level German cars like the 3 and 5 series BMW's and C & E class MB's have a much better reliability history than the halo cars of the line. The 7 series Bimmers, especially the 750 V12's have a brutal history.

Many folks buy these cars second or third hand because they think they are getting a great deal by getting one that originally stickered for $180k for just say $65k. But what they don't realize is that they are purchasing at the point where many things start to go wrong based on well documented history. Anybody can get lucky and not have any major repairs on their high end V12 German car during a couple of years of ownership. But the odds of that happening really aren't that high.

Buyer beware is all I'm saying. Beyond that, GLWS to Katie.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:21 AM

Except that you're arguing that one person's experience (yours) is what should be regarded as the norm. Thats how probabilities go, you've been lucky but the issues out there pertaining to your car are well documented. For someone else who buys one looking at your experience, they may have a lot of issues.
I know this, I only used my experience with my car as a example, I know there are others out there that have had similar experience with a vehicle that has served them well when it should have been retired years ago.

I am a firm believer of you get out what you put in, if you treat a car like crap, crap is what you will have, I always get good runs from my cars, but I also look after them and know I could jump in them and drive across Australia no problem.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
BTW, it was never my intention to "hijack" Katie's thread. I just thought it would be a good idea to add some more perspective so a potential buyer would know what they "might" be getting into.

At least this is no longer the staid "Should I get a 2017 or 2018 S-class" or "What does your dealer charge for an oil change?" threads that have been repeated ad nausem. Sometimes it's good to add a little fire and thunder to the mix.....something this board has been lacking for quite a while.
hyperion667 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:27 AM

24k mile car from Southern CA driven by only one owner in his 70's that had been meticulously maintained.
So you knew the owner? and he drove it like a 70 year old man?

My Father is in his 80's and still thrashes his cars, im sure the next owners will sleep soundly knowing he is 80.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm one of the top posters on ClubLexus and this thread wouldn't have drawn any reaction from Moderators save for perhaps being closed for being off topic. In fact I remember a very similar thread where a member in the LS460 forum was complaining because nobody would buy his car when it was dramatically overpriced, and when I suggested it was overpriced the response was very similar to this, he was insulted that I would suggest that and did not react well lol..
You might want to read the Classified Forum rules of ClubLexus...

Rules for Shoppers and Classified Forum Browsers

1. No thread crapping. If you aren't interested in the item listed and asking a question about it in pursuit of a purchase decision, then don't post. It is poor etiqutte (and not allowed)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:10 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
BTW, it was never my intention to "hijack" Katie's thread. I just thought it would be a good idea to add some more perspective so a potential buyer would know what they "might" be getting into.

At least this is no longer the staid "Should I get a 2017 or 2018 S-class" or "What does your dealer charge for an oil change?" threads that have been repeated ad nausem. Sometimes it's good to add a little fire and thunder to the mix.....something this board has been lacking for quite a while.
I'm sure the for sale thread itself is free from any conjecture or actual opinions from dimwits like us LOL Bloody hell the nerve of some people!!!
If you look at the thread title of this thread again....it's a link to a different thread! SO what difference does it make to DISCUSS things here??

DaveW68 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You might want to read the Classified Forum rules of ClubLexus...

Rules for Shoppers and Classified Forum Browsers

1. No thread crapping. If you aren't interested in the item listed and asking a question about it in pursuit of a purchase decision, then don't post. It is poor etiqutte (and not allowed)
This isn't a classified forum, it is a general forum. And if this Lexus forum does not allow dialog around pricing than I am glad I do not own a Lexus and have no need to visit ClubLexus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put my Maybach up for sale on the general forum