S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Strong Intermittent Gas Smell, Parked S560

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 09:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sprinter, red sports car, agate grey sports car, e350 Wagon
Just a thought, but would putting a dye in the fuel help to locate the leak?

(similar to what is done with A/C)
Old 03-18-2021, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 522 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
What circuit is the low pressure line part of?
Thats a good question, is it part of the fuel return line? The Evap System? To me makes sense it's the evap system and when the car goes through it's regular evap test sequence this is possibly when this line leaks, but if so why no check engine light, the check engine light should come on when there is a evap failed test and it even goes further to tell through depending on which code is displayed as to whether its a small leak or a large leak. The dealer where my car is called today to tell me they think it is the low pressure fuel line also and they have ordered the part. Hoping that this is the fix.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fred2
Just a thought, but would putting a dye in the fuel help to locate the leak?

(similar to what is done with A/C)
I've never heard of that and I was in the Auto repair business for a while. The way we always found fuel leaks in lines was with our fingers and noses. In the case of evap lines we would hook a machine that produced smoke and where there was a leak you would see the smoke coming out of a crack in the hose or whatever it was, we also would use this for intake manifold gaskets and many other things. It was a very useful machine in diagnosing things. I had suggested this to my dealer but I'm done making suggestions it only aggravates them. From now on I'll just be more firm and stand my ground that the car is under warrantee and I want it fixed and get Mercedes corporate involved if necessary and give bad reviews if things are not fixed. No more mr nice guy. We pay big money for these cars they should be right.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
FYI the charcoal canister is in the right rear fender, probably near the fuel filler.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
FYI the charcoal canister is in the right rear fender, probably near the fuel filler.
Thanks, by right side is that the passenger side? How would that be accessed? By pulling out the trunk liner material? If so and I get the car back and it still gets that gas smell I may just pull out that panel and check the charcoal canister, wouldn't it be something if it was something as simple as a line that had come loose off the charcoal canister. Thats almost what it seems like as the smell comes on so quickly when the trunk or door is opened in the morning, almost like there is vapor recovery line totally off and a pump kicks in and just spews out fuel vapors into my garage. I still dunno if I believe it's just some low pressure line under the hood. Where would that low pressure line be that the op spoke of? I take it that it must be under the engine cover maybe on the passenger side? I'll have to look for that line when I get the car back. I really gotta get a shop manual on my car. I feel like I'm gonna have this car for a long time as it's one of my favorite benz's that I've owned yet.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-18-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Thanks, by right side is that the passenger side? How would that be accessed? By pulling out the trunk liner material? If so and I get the car back and it still gets that gas smell I may just pull out that panel and check the charcoal canister, wouldn't it be something if it was something as simple as a line that had come loose off the charcoal canister. Thats almost what it seems like as the smell comes on so quickly when the trunk or door is opened in the morning, almost like there is vapor recovery line totally off and a pump kicks in and just spews out fuel vapors into my garage. I still dunno if I believe it's just some low pressure line under the hood. Where would that low pressure line be that the op spoke of? I take it that it must be under the engine cover maybe on the passenger side? I'll have to look for that line when I get the car back. I really gotta get a shop manual on my car. I feel like I'm gonna have this car for a long time as it's one of my favorite benz's that I've owned yet.

When you fill up at ~1/4 full, will the fuel nozzle cut off early or multiple times before tank is full?
Old 03-19-2021, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No seems to fill up fine. One thought I did have with this issue is that maybe the owner of this car before me overfilled the tank on a regular basis. And that caused issues with the evap system and the charcoal canister. Good to know where the charcoal canister is. I had been looking for it under the hood. Strange thing is the other day I took a wild ride revving the car a lot out of every corner over 5k rpms had to go all the way out to plant city to get vaccinated. All curvy back roads. I could not get the car to produce the the gasoline Odor yesterday before taking the car to the dealer. My theory maybe all that vacuum from the high revs and the high vacuum when downshifting entering corners purged the charcoal canister.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sprinter, red sports car, agate grey sports car, e350 Wagon
No seems to fill up fine. One thought I did have with this issue is that maybe the owner of this car before me overfilled the tank on a regular basis. And that caused issues with the evap system and the charcoal canister. Good to know where the charcoal canister is. I had been looking for it under the hood. Strange thing is the other day I took a wild ride revving the car a lot out of every corner over 5k rpms had to go all the way out to plant city to get vaccinated. All curvy back roads. I could not get the car to produce the the gasoline Odor yesterday before taking the car to the dealer. My theory maybe all that vacuum from the high revs and the high vacuum when downshifting entering corners purged the charcoal canister.
It sounds like the Italian Tune Up works on German cars, too.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
On my E class the charcoal canister is accessed by removing the inner fender liner in the rear passenger wheel well. I pulled it one day because I was getting a check engine light. The turned out to be a wasted effort as thanks to guidance from one of the board members I lubricated the purge valve in the engine compartment and never had an issue after that.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
2012 merc amg (03-20-2021), chassis (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 04:42 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert

Charcoal cannisters spliced into tank vent lines can "pack off" restricting vapor flow and increasing back pressure into the gas tank and potentially other fuel system vents.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2021, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Anybody have a schematic of the system?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Right = passenger side LHD

The inner wheel well liner needs removed to access the charcoal canister.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Need to call BS on the dealer. Mercedes appears to have a problem. O-ring and locking ring (bayonet coupling) are the same between W212 E350 and W222 S560.

On 2018 W222 S560 the fuel pump, locking ring and o-ring are accessible from inside the vehicle in the normal way, shown in the videos from @39039

See attached.

W222 2018 S560
Locking ring/bayonet coupling: A0014711430
Gasket/O-ring 135.5x6: A0259971845
Feed unit: A2224700094

W212 2016 E350
Locking ring/bayonet coupling: A0014711430
Gasket/O-Ring 135.5x6: A0259971845 (was A0149978945)
I was just re-reading this post. If the gasket or O ring was leaking at the tank wouldn't this trip a check engine light though for a evap code? I am hopeful it is in fact the low pressure fuel line that the dealer put on order, seems like more than likely that would be logical as that also is the original posters Bill's issue from the sounds of it. Two of the same lines ordered at once, hopefully Benz stocks enough of these.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-20-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I was just re-reading this post. If the gasket or O ring was leaking at the tank wouldn't this trip a check engine light though for a evap code? I am hopeful it is in fact the low pressure fuel line that the dealer put on order, seems like more than likely that would be logical as that also is the original posters Bill's issue from the sounds of it. Two of the same lines ordered at once, hopefully Benz stocks enough of these.
Have a look at Senior Leigh's video on YouTube. He narrates through the video. I don't recall him mentioning a CEL related to the tank/pump seal.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
S550, SLC43
Quick Update: I have not forgotten the forum. My car is still in service. Thats why I have not posted an update. Initially they were going to replace the gas low pressure rubber hose. But MB Tech Support told them to replace the entire gas line on BOTH sides. They said ordering the parts would take some time. Since Tech Support was involved and insisted that the entire gas line be replaced, I am assuming that they have seen this before. Anyway, I'm still waiting.
Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by dawson1331:
2012 merc amg (03-24-2021), chassis (03-24-2021), Donnymac (03-24-2021), MBNUT1 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@dawson1331 Thanks for the update. Can you please post a copy of the service invoice when the car comes back to you? Please redact your personal information. This helps others. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
2012 merc amg (03-24-2021), MBNUT1 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pretty much the same fuel line issue with my car. The car should be ready soon. I guess it's the low pressure fuel line on the passenger side towards the back side of the engine. I did sort of notice a fuel smell under the hood but I could sworn when I got the real strong smell opening the door or the trunk when the fuel pump primed up that it was more towards the back of the car. I guess I was wrong. Talked with the Service Manager today and he was very certain this should fix this issue thankfully. I'm really hoping they can get the seat massager working as well, I have a lot of driving coming up soon and having the seat massager on long trips is nice.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-24-2021 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Pretty much the same fuel line issue with my car. The car should be ready soon. I guess it's the low pressure fuel line on the passenger side towards the back side of the engine. I did sort of notice a fuel smell under the hood but I could sworn when I got the real strong smell opening the door or the trunk when the fuel pump primed up that it was more towards the back of the car. I guess I was wrong. Talked with the Service Manager today and he was very certain this should fix this issue thankfully. I'm really hoping they can get the seat massager working as well, I have a lot of driving coming up soon and having the seat massager on long trips is nice.
Great t@2012 merc amg Can you please post the service invoice when the car comes back to you? This will help people in the future to steer the dealer in the diagnosis process, or for future DIYers. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
FWIW at this point, I wouldn't park the car with a gas odor in your garage or in any confined space as any spark, including that from a light switch, could be disastrous.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great t@2012 merc amg Can you please post the service invoice when the car comes back to you? This will help people in the future to steer the dealer in the diagnosis process, or for future DIYers. Thanks!
I could do that. I'm just really hoping it is this fuel line they are replacing that is the problem. I coulda sworn the strong smell is coming from the backside of the car, I would really notice it almost immediately after I popped open the trunk and I heard the fuel pump run. Makes me think its one of the lines going to the fuel pump itself rather than the low pressure fuel line at the engine. I hope they are right as I don't feel like dealing with this issue anymore. Car is still at the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
FWIW at this point, I wouldn't park the car with a gas odor in your garage or in any confined space as any spark, including that from a light switch, could be disastrous.
I don't think there is enough vapor in the air for this to happen, I guess if it was gonna happen it woulda happened already unless I get the car back from the dealer and the issue is still there and it gets worse.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:14 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 s560v4
I could do that. I'm just really hoping it is this fuel line they are replacing that is the problem. I coulda sworn the strong smell is coming from the backside of the car, I would really notice it almost immediately after I popped open the trunk and I heard the fuel pump run. Makes me think its one of the lines going to the fuel pump itself rather than the low pressure fuel line at the engine. I hope they are right as I don't feel like dealing with this issue anymore. Car is still at the dealer.
I jacked up the front of the car and walked behind the car while it was still raised and noticed a strong gas odor that I never smelled before. Is this a problem that hasn’t been addressed yet?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny you should say that it does seem like maybe the car being on a uphill or downhill does have something to do with it. My garage as a somewhat steep slop going towards the garage door, I back the car which puts the nose lower rear end. One day when I stopped at the car wash and opened the door so the guy could scan the monthly sticker I opened the door for him to do so and there was that gasoline smell really bad.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 s560v4
Funny you should say that it does seem like maybe the car being on a uphill or downhill does have something to do with it. My garage as a somewhat steep slop going towards the garage door, I back the car which puts the nose lower rear end. One day when I stopped at the car wash and opened the door so the guy could scan the monthly sticker I opened the door for him to do so and there was that gasoline smell really bad.
I am off to the dealer today and I will have them document why they find.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denis Osullivan:
chassis (03-29-2021), MBNUT1 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Apparently here's what it was with my car. More than likely just the clamp or clamps loose but they replaced the low pressure fuel line. Apparently this line is for the evap system and takes the gas vapors from the engine back to the the fuel tank when the evap pump kicks off in the right side fender wall area near the charcoal canister. The line is located on the right hand passenger side of the engine compartment just above the intake manifold. I sure do hope this was the fix, so far no gas vapor smell.
The following 4 users liked this post by 2012 merc amg:
Bart-N3GQ (04-01-2021), chassis (03-31-2021), MBNUT1 (03-31-2021), ThomasMB (04-18-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strong Intermittent Gas Smell, Parked S560