S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Strong Intermittent Gas Smell, Parked S560

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 AMG GTs, 19 S560, 18 C300
Originally Posted by dawson1331
I got my car back today!!! It’s been 29 days. MB gave me a GLA250 as a loaner. Not too bad but it does make me appreciate my car even more.

Here is what I learned today:

1. The gas leak was real and not my imagination.
2. The tech (shop foreman in this case) was able to reproduce AND video the gas leak. He showed me the video and you could see the gas dripping. He sent me a still picture of the defective part which I have attached below. If you pull off the plastic engine cover, you can easily spot this part.
3. His tech support team told him to look for the problem on a cold start. He did and it did leak but not every time.
4. The leak was the rubber hose - or it’s connection to the metal pipe (I don’t know which). The tech went to order another rubber hose and the part number was blocked in the system. He was required to create a (PTSS) case number and submit that to his tech support. They required him to order and replace the entire low pressure gas line on BOTH sides. They also wanted the entire gas line back in “one piece” to try to find out what went wrong.
5. It took a little less than 2 days to do the actual work and test the car once the parts came in.
6. The tech had seen this once before (on another​​​S-Class) - within the last year. At that time, he was able (allowed) to replace just the rubber hose.
7. The tech’s write up is detailed on the work order/invoice - which I have attached below. There was a little cut and paste to get it to fit in one image.

Bill

My new-to-me 19 S560 has a similar issue: gas smell in the garage after it's been sitting but not while driving coming from under the hood. It drives and ride perfectly otherwise. I took it to a reputable local indy here in Orange County, CA and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. A SA at Fletcher told me over the phone that it had to be the injector. Using your picture, I took off the engine cover and stared at the same place with the car on but engine not started (the hot engine would presumably burn off the fuel) and found fuel dripping and pooling at the same spot. I even took a video. I am wondering what that hole next to the fuel leak is for; it seems like a screw hole but I am not sure. I am assuming that nothing is supposed to be there? Anyway, thanks to your picture I was able to spot this.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6933.mov (744.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-22-2022, 09:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 S560 4matic
same fuel hose on my 2018 S560 was weeping a bit, ended up just replacing the hose and clamps myself
Old 03-22-2022, 09:30 PM

17 AMG GTs, 19 S560, 18 C300
Originally Posted by Hawk375
same fuel hose on my 2018 S560 was weeping a bit, ended up just replacing the hose and clamps myself
My local indy replaced the two clamps (they refused to charge me as they couldn't find the issue the first time, great guys) and I haven't had the issue since. I can't reproduce the leak anymore. I just don't know why Mercedes refuses to issue a recall for defective clamps.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 2016
Hi Brother

thanks for post the invoice and information about the "gas smell" your post really help full for us. By the way after they replace the part that you list on your post. Does it fix the problem?

I just bought 2018 Mercedes S560, I smell the gas when just turn on Ignition key, it will not be smell after driving about 20 minute, but in the morning will smell again. By your information I try to find location it leak, I smell very strong on passenger side near fender like you said.

one again thank you very much for your post.

Thomas
Old 11-21-2022, 10:12 PM

2019 s560
Thanks for this info. My 2019 s560 just started smelling of gas today. If it continues, will use this information when I take to the dealer to get fixed. Much appreciated!
Old 11-21-2022, 10:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 s560v4
Originally Posted by MikeLocke
Thanks for this info. My 2019 s560 just started smelling of gas today. If it continues, will use this information when I take to the dealer to get fixed. Much appreciated!
While my car was in for service they replaced the right fuel line hose. It’s listed on the repair order as “perform low pressure fuel line recall”.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 AM

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Yes, I'm still going through it. Had the car at another dealer yesterday and was waiting while they looked over the car. They were not too happy with me for bringing the car in and wanting to wait for such a big problem but I just felt I needed another dealer to check the car over as I've been told 3x by the other dealer they cannot find anything wrong and all system are functioning as normal on the work order sheets. The dealer that looked over the car yesterday claimed one of the fuel lines was slightly loose and they tightened it and said maybe it would fix the issue. The service writer told me if it does not fix the issue that he was going to need the car for at least a week and they would then try to replicate the issue. What I have learned is that starting on the 222 model there is no longer access to the fuel pump from under the seat as they had issues with the plate that covers over the fuel pump assembly on the older cars leaking and leaking gas or fumes into the passenger compartment not good. More than likely mechanics not installing and sealing the plate properly. But now the only way to access the fuel pump and lines is to remover the fuel tank. What I've found is that all conditions the the dealers try to avoid doing that as much as possible but that is more than likely where your problem and my problem lies. I still have the issue, verified it earlier tonight, I kinda figured it was not fixed sounded too simple. Looks like at this point with my car I may have to get Mercedes involved. This has been going on for 4 months or so since I bought the car used Certified. I can sympathize with what you are going though, I've never any problem like this with all the cars I've owned. My car only has 20K miles on it. 2018 model S560. I guess worse comes to worse I may end up having to get an independent shop to fix the car and I'll send Mercedes the bill. What the service writer told me yesterday is that there are 2 fuel pumps in the fuel tank and the fuel is transferred around in the tank. I think maybe it has something to do with the low pressure lines that go to the low pressure pump which would make sense to me but I don't know for sure.
Lower braided fuel line leakes.
MB will fix it for free.
It's the low pressure.line.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:39 AM

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Yes, I'm still going through it. Had the car at another dealer yesterday and was waiting while they looked over the car. They were not too happy with me for bringing the car in and wanting to wait for such a big problem but I just felt I needed another dealer to check the car over as I've been told 3x by the other dealer they cannot find anything wrong and all system are functioning as normal on the work order sheets. The dealer that looked over the car yesterday claimed one of the fuel lines was slightly loose and they tightened it and said maybe it would fix the issue. The service writer told me if it does not fix the issue that he was going to need the car for at least a week and they would then try to replicate the issue. What I have learned is that starting on the 222 model there is no longer access to the fuel pump from under the seat as they had issues with the plate that covers over the fuel pump assembly on the older cars leaking and leaking gas or fumes into the passenger compartment not good. More than likely mechanics not installing and sealing the plate properly. But now the only way to access the fuel pump and lines is to remover the fuel tank. What I've found is that all conditions the the dealers try to avoid doing that as much as possible but that is more than likely where your problem and my problem lies. I still have the issue, verified it earlier tonight, I kinda figured it was not fixed sounded too simple. Looks like at this point with my car I may have to get Mercedes involved. This has been going on for 4 months or so since I bought the car used Certified. I can sympathize with what you are going though, I've never any problem like this with all the cars I've owned. My car only has 20K miles on it. 2018 model S560. I guess worse comes to worse I may end up having to get an independent shop to fix the car and I'll send Mercedes the bill. What the service writer told me yesterday is that there are 2 fuel pumps in the fuel tank and the fuel is transferred around in the tank. I think maybe it has something to do with the low pressure lines that go to the low pressure pump which would make sense to me but I don't know for sure.
Lower braided fuel line leakes.
MB will fix it for free.
It's the low pressure.line.

The following users liked this post:
MikeLocke (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:00 PM

2019 s560
Open Recall - Replace Braided Hose of Low-Pressure Fuel Line

For anyone still dealing with this intermittent gas smell issue, there's a recall that was released Aug of 2022 regarding this issue. Just had my 2019 s560 serviced for this issue (covered under the recall). Had the intermittent gas smell for the past month. On and off, got bad a couple of days ago. Took it in and all fixed up. The service guy knew right away.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
To add not recall rather service campaign.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
202207004.pdf (1.29 MB, 105 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
Donnymac (06-07-2023), drose224 (08-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:48 AM

Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by MikeLocke
For anyone still dealing with this intermittent gas smell issue, there's a recall that was released Aug of 2022 regarding this issue. Just had my 2019 s560 serviced for this issue (covered under the recall). Had the intermittent gas smell for the past month. On and off, got bad a couple of days ago. Took it in and all fixed up. The service guy knew right away.

Re: my 6/7/23 post on no-notice braided hose recall, nothing like anything above mentioned or apparent. If the service report adds anything, I’ll post it here.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:48 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
W222 S560 4matic 2018 and C140 CL 500 1998
I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. It happened very rarely but this weekend temperatures were quite low and I could smell the gas two mornings in a row. Talking to my service center they actually could NOT find the recall, which I find very strange. My car is 11/2017 which I think makes it the 2018 model year doesn't it?
Old 08-08-2023, 06:05 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 s560v4
Originally Posted by Nico9182349
I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. It happened very rarely but this weekend temperatures were quite low and I could smell the gas two mornings in a row. Talking to my service center they actually could NOT find the recall, which I find very strange. My car is 11/2017 which I think makes it the 2018 model year doesn't it?
My car was built in 10/2017 and is a 2018 model! I had this repaired while in the shop under this recall.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Denis Osullivan
My car was built in 10/2017 and is a 2018 model! I had this repaired while in the shop under this recall.
Good to know. Really weird that they don't see the recall in the system. I mean...the cars came of the exact same production line. Ah actually. It said it is just 23958 cars...so that would actually explain why mine might not be included.

Last edited by Nico9182349; 08-08-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 17GTS
My new-to-me 19 S560 has a similar issue: gas smell in the garage after it's been sitting but not while driving coming from under the hood. It drives and ride perfectly otherwise. I took it to a reputable local indy here in Orange County, CA and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. A SA at Fletcher told me over the phone that it had to be the injector. Using your picture, I took off the engine cover and stared at the same place with the car on but engine not started (the hot engine would presumably burn off the fuel) and found fuel dripping and pooling at the same spot. I even took a video. I am wondering what that hole next to the fuel leak is for; it seems like a screw hole but I am not sure. I am assuming that nothing is supposed to be there? Anyway, thanks to your picture I was able to spot this.
Hi, thank you for your work here. Where can I find that hose/clamp in the engine department? I'm relatively sure I have the exact same issue. I want to try and film it myself so I can show the dealer.

EDIT: Found the spot. For other noobs, it is actually quite easy. If you take off the engine cover it located on the lower left corner basically in the curvature of that plastic air intake or whatever that is.

of course it didn't smell or leak when I just checked, haha. Maybe it is not only temperature but also humidity or something. It did look very dry. I could not spot any residue whatsoever. I have attached a useless shaky video cause I took one. Will have to try again when the car actually smells.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3319 (2).mov (15.67 MB, 34 views)

Last edited by Nico9182349; 10-25-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:55 AM

S560 SLK350 ML350
There is a campaign to fix this issue

my 2018 S560 had this issue, and Mercedes now has an active campaign that if you take in with this issue they will fix. Different than a recall, owners must take in with compliant to get fixed. It invoked work around the top of the engine and installing another heat shield. Issue was resolved. However, prior to the fix, I had the same intermittent smell of gas, could be while sitting or operating. Mine was fixed by Mercedes Orlando Maitland Blvd.

Originally Posted by dawson1331
For the last several months, my 2019 S560, has occasionally given off a very strong gas smell. It happens once or twice a week. The problem was not reproduced at MB Service. I left it there for several days at a time - twice. They could not find anything and eventually wanted their loaners back. In addition to a bad smell, I worry that this could be dangerous. Any ideas are welcomed - no matter how crazy!

Here are two typical scenarios:
1. Car parked in garage, not driven since yesterday noon. Leave the house through the garage vehicle door for a two hour walk at 2pm. No smell. Get back a little before 4pm. Strong smell in garage. Seems to be strongest in engine compartment passenger side but hard to tell. Maybe twice a week since November.

2. DrIve car in morning short distance (less than 1/2 mile). Stop at traffic light or final destination. Twice gas smell strong in car - windows rolled up. Two other times walked around car in parking lot - strong gas smell. If I continue to drive smell goes away. Only noticed this 4 times since November.

More info:
There is no gas on garage floor underneath the car or otherwise.
No other gas sources in garage, except 2017 SLC43. Ruled that out.
Seems to happen most on Thursdays.
Seems to happen most between 3:30pm - 5pm.
Seems to happen most on sunny days where the temperature increases in the afternoon. So not necessarily the absolute temperature but a change in temperature.
Also seems to happen more often on windy days.
Smell lasts an hour or so.
Smells like an ounce or two of gas was spilled. Very strong - no question it is gas.
Not a function of gas tank fuel level. Happens at full tank and 1/2 tank. Originally MB said I over fill the tank when refueling but that has been ruled out.
During pandemic, I refuel about once every 3 or 4 weeks.
I have been keeping a log since March. Date and time, temperature in garage, weather conditions, gas tank level, etc.
Three car attached garage, with two cars and storage space. Garage vehicle door faces west (sunny side).
I am technical but not a mechanic. I do not work on cars.

Thanks,

Bill D.
The following users liked this post:
Donnymac (11-25-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by joebs560
my 2018 S560 had this issue, and Mercedes now has an active campaign that if you take in with this issue they will fix. Different than a recall, owners must take in with compliant to get fixed. It invoked work around the top of the engine and installing another heat shield. Issue was resolved. However, prior to the fix, I had the same intermittent smell of gas, could be while sitting or operating. Mine was fixed by Mercedes Orlando Maitland Blvd.
Do you have any paperwork surrounding this? I hope they do this in Germany as well.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:09 PM

S560 SLK350 ML350
Will send copy of paper work

I just had the repair down Friday and don’t have the paperwork yet. However will send a copy when available.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:45 PM

S560 SLK350 ML350
Here is the invoice- they installed a heat shield and replaced a fuel line. Start reading at the bottom- the recall or campaign number is cited, which you can bring to the dealer's attention. I;m not the first owner, and apparently it was identified previously but a part wasnt available.
Cheers!