2015 external hotspot wifi help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 04:30 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
2015 external hotspot wifi help

Ok another question.

Actually this is one of the reasons I sold the car.

new owner is a little older and not internet savvy but wants to know if he uses an external hotspot like ATT Harman Spark? that plugs into the cars diagnostic port will that create an internet connection in the car allowing the traffic and other internet based functions to work?

He wants the navigation to not just be a map but have live traffic updates if there is another way around this?

It does create a hotspot but will it integrate into the MB system. It does come up as a car that it works with but that just might means it has the correct diagnostic port size.

Honestly the MBRACE never worked on the car and I gave up and just put phone in front of screen.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Just tell him to download Waze onto his cell phone as it provides up to the minute traffic updates. For an older guy who claims to not be internet savvy, it seems like he's trying to re-invent the wheel to do something that is extremely basic with any smart phone. No MB nav system has the up to the minute capabilities of an app like Waze.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 PM

E55
Thats the idea to not have him playing with different devices and just have it on when he hits the key. I feel bad as I didn't even realize it didnt work as I use Waze myself.

My 2015 G550 did have up to date traffic but that was years ago so I know it did have at some time. I dont remember having any pay service as Mbrace or? but who remembers?

Just trying to give him a better option for what works for him.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by DABRONX
Thats the idea to not have him playing with different devices and just have it on when he hits the key. I feel bad as I didn't even realize it didnt work as I use Waze myself.

My 2015 G550 did have up to date traffic but that was years ago so I know it did have at some time. I dont remember having any pay service as Mbrace or? but who remembers?

Just trying to give him a better option for what works for him.
There are companies like Midcity Electronics, N@vtool, and others that sell after-market CarPlay and Android Auto integration for the pre-facelifted cars. Perhaps that would be the better option as that would allow real-time traffic updates and better maps than the stock nav system.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350e
I own an C350e HPEV. just informed by North Scottsdale MB service all Mercedes EV aren't capable of making an internet connection for any Mercedes me subscriptions.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350e
I own an C350e HPEV. just informed by North Scottsdale MB service all Mercedes EV aren't capable of making an internet connection for any Mercedes me subscriptions.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
Since were talking 3rd party here, tell him to just have Sirius satellite weather and traffic. Does everything you need and it's up to date. Mercedes doesn't integrate electronics well unless they sold it to you
Old 04-13-2021, 05:03 PM

E55
Thats funny because I was just coming on here to update.

We were in car trying to figure out and saw under Navigation that it had Sirius.

It was as easy as hitting dial and it took you right to Sirius and with me in the car we just switched to him and he even has 3 free months.

The whole deal took all of 5 minutes and the car was updated with live maps and Sirius if he ever wants.

So anybody who wants their live maps back it has nothing to do with internet its Sirius.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Does anybody know if the built-in Sirius maps will do live updated routes based on current traffic and find the quickest route like Waze? And what about sniffing out the fuzz and warning about cars on the side of the road?
Old 04-14-2021, 02:01 PM

E55
I believe it does with the little time I spent with it yesterday. It shows you traffic along the route and gave route as per the least traffic or speed.

Honestly I cant believe how easy it was and that I drove the car without it. They gave him 3 months free and also told me I had 3 free months as I had never activated it.

I even asked at the dealer why my G wagon of teh exact year bought at the exact time had and the S didnt and they always said it was MBrace which they could never get to function because of my area having too many mountains and valleys.