Climate control problems in S Class W 222 with freon R744

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S Class of 2018
Angry Climate control problems in S Class W 222 with freon R744

Hey, Mercedes Benz S class Buyers!
I wanted to share my personal experience with you about S Class that uses new refrigerant R744 (CO2) as cooling agent for its climate control system. I am based in Cyprus where temperatures are quite high in May-September months and proper cooling is essential. Since I have purchased the car I started to experience the problem with the climate control ( while the car was on factory warranty ). The climate control system was not working properly producing hot air instead of cold and passenger seat side and driver seat side had various temperatures from warm to very warm air. When you put climate control on Auto mode the fans were blowing with the maximum speed trying to lower the temperature but it was not working. I have brought the car to Mercedes Benz service station in my city and found out that there is only one service station in the whole country that can service R744 climate control systems. So the car had to be sent to another city for service after waiting for a few weeks as the service center was very busy. The service was eventually done while I was advised that there is nothing wrong and small pipe had potential Freon leakage and that was the problem. However after two weeks I have experienced the same problem. To cut the story short, it took me numerous visits to the service center, and many discussions with the service staff to find out that the problem was in the faulty air con. compressor that needed to be changed. The most astonishing was that there were no spare compressors for this model available and I have to wait many weeks until the manufacturer will have one available and will send it to Cyprus. This was horrible experience driving such expensive car without the air conditioning, wasting so many hours dealing with the problem, staying without the car and finally on top of everything I was advised that I need to pay solid amount for the replacement of the compressor, even it was clear fault of the manufacturer. What a mess and shame for the brand like Mercedes Benz!

I felt it is important to inform Mercedes community and strongly recommend to never buy a Mercedes car which uses R744 cooling agent. You will ruin your life with it. The technology is experimental, the markets are not ready for it and there is no proper service infrastructure or trained personnel that can handle climate control systems that use refrigerant R 744. I guess I was very unlucky to be one of the first to try this technology. I have read many posts on various websites from people who experience similar problems, so I am not alone. It appears that this is a very common problem.

I would appreciate to be contacted by Mercedes S class owners who had experienced similar issues with their climate control and learn how they resolved them.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Sounds like more of a country issue so I will continue to enjoy my MB's while they continue to treat me so well. Hopefully you get everything resolved...
The following users liked this post:
RajwanyS550 (06-09-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
W222 S560 4matic 2018 and C140 CL 500 1998
Exclamation

I've had a similar experience except for the issue with the parts delivery. My car has been to the dealer three times for the AC. Now it is winter, it might still be broken, I dont know. If I had known that the car uses R744 and that the whole AC is a completely different system that works with much higher pressure and is brand spanking new in cars, I would have gotten the pre facelift... cant believe Mercedes would put such an unreliable AC in a S-Class.