S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Check engine Light Came On after dealer service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 S550
Exclamation Check engine Light Came On after dealer service

Dear MB world community, my first time posting here.

Bought a pre-owned 2015 W222 S550 recently from an authorized Mercedes dealership (not CPO and vehicle had about 120k miles). Dealer said everything was fine and I had my own Indy MB mechanic check it out who said engine was in good shape with no leaks, and it was regularly serviced at the dealership. The only issue the mechanic raised was a creaking noise from the driver door "check" which needs to be replaced. Had the dealer promise in writing to inspect and repair for door as part of the purchase agreement.

Brought vehicle into dealership with an appointment 2 weeks later and was told they need to take to a specific body shop some 75 miles away. I said fine since that was the only option provided and the agreement didn't specify the repair location. (Being in the middle of San Francisco Bay Area so there should be ample of shops available, I think the reason was they want to keep the cost down since they are paying for the repair)

Got a call saying the car is ready for pick up after 2 weeks. At pick up, realized the door hinge was replaced but the door no longer stays at wherever angle you leave it at (continuous hinge or stay I believe it is called". Tried the passenger door which was not replaced and noticed actual difference between the two.

The check engine light was also on which was not on at drop off(possibly more concerning than the door hinges). I didn't see any other warning besides that. I know sometimes gas cap not closed properly can cause that but I am quite sure they didn't touch that since I had a full tank coming in and now gas is at 1/2.

The repair was done at an unspecified body shop and no service receipt was provided from that shop. The dealership did provide their own service receipt which briefly mentioned two door hinges were replaced.

Spoke to the service manger and he said they will keep the car and get back to me in a few days. What recourse do I have about the door that now has a downgraded function and about the check engine light which presumably came on while at dealer's possession? What would any of you do?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 S550
Originally Posted by bkc2006
Dear MB world community, my first time posting here.

Bought a pre-owned 2015 W222 S550 recently from an authorized Mercedes dealership (not CPO and vehicle had about 120k miles). Dealer said everything was fine and I had my own Indy MB mechanic check it out who said engine was in good shape with no leaks, and it was regularly serviced at the dealership. The only issue the mechanic raised was a creaking noise from the driver door "check" which needs to be replaced. Had the dealer promise in writing to inspect and repair for door as part of the purchase agreement.

Brought vehicle into dealership with an appointment 2 weeks later and was told they need to take to a specific body shop some 75 miles away. I said fine since that was the only option provided and the agreement didn't specify the repair location. (Being in the middle of San Francisco Bay Area so there should be ample of shops available, I think the reason was they want to keep the cost down since they are paying for the repair)

Got a call saying the car is ready for pick up after 2 weeks. At pick up, realized the door hinge was replaced but the door no longer stays at wherever angle you leave it at (continuous hinge or stay I believe it is called". Tried the passenger door which was not replaced and noticed actual difference between the two.

The check engine light was also on which was not on at drop off(possibly more concerning than the door hinges). I didn't see any other warning besides that. I know sometimes gas cap not closed properly can cause that but I am quite sure they didn't touch that since I had a full tank coming in and now gas is at 1/2.

The repair was done at an unspecified body shop and no service receipt was provided from that shop. The dealership did provide their own service receipt which briefly mentioned two door hinges were replaced.

Spoke to the service manger and he said they will keep the car and get back to me in a few days. What recourse do I have about the door that now has a downgraded function and about the check engine light which presumably came on while at dealer's possession? What would any of you do?
If I were you I would just keep after them until they fix the issues to your satisfaction. On the whole if you are firm with them they want to keep you a happy customer as this is Mercedes Benz. On the off chance that whoever you are dealing with at the dealership pushes back on your requests I would just keep elevating it up the chain at the dealer as the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I had a different but theoretically similar circumstance at the dealer where I took my car in for a Service A and when I got the car back the driver's side power seat controls no longer worked. When I took it back for them to look at and fix they wanted to charge me $300 to reprogram the computer. I said no f'ing way, you broke it you fix it. They easily caved and fixed the issue at no cost to me. Just be firm with them and let them know they made the error and need to correct it.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
A seven year old S550 with 120K miles is potentially a ticking time bomb. They should be able to hook a scanner to it and determine what is causing the CEL. If it is related to the hinge repair then they should be able to fix the issue. As far as the hinges go, they were changed some time ago as the hold in place hinges almost always failed over time and left the owner with no way to hold the door open. You could have them change the passenger side but they would probably charge you a lot for this as they have to do a ton of labor to the car to swap the hinges. If the CEL is a small issue that is unrelated you are probably out of luck. The dealer may offer to do the repair at a discount but if the CEL is a 5K repair they are not going to do that for free.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 524 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I believe the 2015's came factory with the continuous door hinge. I remember having them on my 2015 that I use to have. The drivers door would always close by itself when parked on a uphill, it was kinda annoying.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Any repair that's been done to your car at MB dealer has the 1 year warranty. So whatever after work related to the door will be definitely fixed for free including CEL.
If check engine light is separate issue - you are responsible for the cost.