Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid ( W222) apple car play kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid (W222)
Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid ( W222) apple car play kit

Hello everyone
can anyone recommend me the best way to have apple car play in my car ? Or anything that I can use Waze while driving

I looked up online and I found 2 options
1 . Change the screen to an Android touch screen ( the problem is I want a high specs one )
2. Apple car play retrofit kit

Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 485 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Iehab Neiroukh
Hello everyone
can anyone recommend me the best way to have apple car play in my car ? Or anything that I can use Waze while driving

I looked up online and I found 2 options
1 . Change the screen to an Android touch screen ( the problem is I want a high specs one )
2. Apple car play retrofit kit

Any suggestions?
I work as an official distributor for U.S market for one of the best company that makes carplay modules for W222. Link below. Please feel free to send me a message or contact me on my cell (also Whatsapp) if you need a unit with a discount (+1.573.201.0889)
https://www.joyeauto.com/

I work as an official distributor for the best company that makes carplay modules for W222. Link below. Please feel free to send me a message or contact me on my cell (also Whatsapp) if you need a unit with a discount (+1.573.201.0889)
https://www.joyeauto.com/
The following users liked this post:
zenderV8 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
i installed the joyeauto unit in my 2015 and I like it. it took me 2 .5 hours to take apart the dash. I recommend this product. It has some quirks but once you learn them you will be fine.
zenderV8 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by e55phil
i installed the joyeauto unit in my 2015 and I like it. it took me 2 .5 hours to take apart the dash. I recommend this product. It has some quirks but once you learn them you will be fine.
Please list the quirks... Also, does it require a data plan with the car? Car has 3G only and is the worst Cell/Data service in a car and none of the intergraded apps work. How does phone connect? How is Cell /GPS service with the windshield blocking most signals?
Phillyfinest (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 05:37 PM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
2.5 hours to take dash apart? Geesh. I ordered it too. Haven’t received yet, but planned to do it myself as i was told it was very east to do, 2.5 hours don’t sound like easy to me..
Old 08-12-2020, 06:05 PM

Forgive me but let me answer both of you at the same time.

It took me 2 1/2 hours but I'm not a technical guy and I'm also very careful. Honestly probably 30 minutes was figuring out how to set the dip switch settings. I had to monkey around with that to get it to work.

I hate to get rid of this car and I'm going to keep it for a while as a second car and I want to have Apple car play.

As for quirks:

1. When you turn the car on its best to let the Mercedes navigation system run its course before you plug in the phone. I find it when I plug it in before hand it doesn't work.

2. The system has either Wi-Fi and if you turn that on then it will connect on its own. I haven't used this very much but it seems to work.

3. When you install the system you have to use one of the USB ports in the center console. It becomes dedicated to the Joyeauto device. In order for the phone and the device to work together you have to press the media button and select whichever USB port you're using. I use USB port 2.

If you don't press the media button and if the media button is not set to media interface 2 than the Joyeauto system won't work correctly.

4. If you long press the back button on the center console you'll switch between Mercedes and Joyeauto. You can go back-and-forth at will.

Sometimes I would long press the back button so that I could listen to a local radio station or satellite radio. While listening to satellite radio or a local radio station I would then long press the back button so that I could use Google maps.

If a phone call comes in and the Mercedes interface is not connected to media port 2, you can still see Google maps and you can still hear the radio station but when you try to answer the phone using car play it doesn't work. The caller can hear you but you cannot hear the caller or sometimes vice versa.

You have to have the presence of mind when the phone rings to long press the back button, press the media button, then long press the back button and answer the phone. However as I recall you can get around this by pressing the answer phone button on the steering wheel.

5. Also keep in mind that unless you're in an urban area Apple maps doesn't work. Neither do Google maps. And for that matter if you don't have a strong signal Siri doesn't work.

I bought my car in 2015 thinking the S class would come out a year earlier than it's going to. I don't want to be the first buyer of an S class in its first year so I'm going to buy an e class station wagon which will accommodate my country house. I'm buying the so-called all-terrain which a lot of people are making fun of the looks but it has the latest and greatest MB UX and the E class has been out for a few years so they've worked out the bugs. In 2022 I plan to buy a new S class after they've work through the problems.

If you live in an urban area where there is a lot of Internet signal it's worth the time and energy to install this unit. I live in New York City and I find the system to be great.

The main things I like about it are as follows:

If I short press the phone button I get Siri and all of the benefits of Siri. Call this person, tell me the weather here, tell me the time there, navigate to this location or that location. All of those things are really valuable to me.

Also I can send a text. Using Siri I can send a text to my wife or my broker or whomever. I never have to take my eyes off the road or monkey with my phone.

If you or anyone sends me a text Siri will read it to me.

There is the obvious benefit of using either Apple maps or Google maps.

If you have satellite radio you can install the satellite radio app on your phone and listen to satellite radio for free. This allows you to switch to the next song if you don't like the song is playing or even go back as I recall.

So as I say it has little quirks that you have to get used to but once you get used to it it's no problem. If you're old enough to remember DOS where you did things at the command prompt you just remember these little quirks and it's easy to deal with.

As for your question about the Internet, I don't have any sort of Internet in my car. I experimented with that and it was completely bogus. Also I was afraid that it allows bad guys to access my car while I'm driving. In my case I rely on the telephone Internet for my Internet.

I hope this answers all of your questions. I'm glad I bought the Joyeauto product and I would recommend it

I took some video of my installation but I just haven't got around to posting it but the guy Barron from Joyeauto will send it.

I am a desk jockey and if I can do it anybody can
zenderV8 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by e55phil
Forgive me but let me answer both of you at the same time.

It took me 2 1/2 hours but I'm not a technical guy and I'm also very careful. Honestly probably 30 minutes was figuring out how to set the dip switch settings. I had to monkey around with that to get it to work.

I hate to get rid of this car and I'm going to keep it for a while as a second car and I want to have Apple car play.

As for quirks:

1. When you turn the car on its best to let the Mercedes navigation system run its course before you plug in the phone. I find it when I plug it in before hand it doesn't work.

2. The system has either Wi-Fi and if you turn that on then it will connect on its own. I haven't used this very much but it seems to work.

3. When you install the system you have to use one of the USB ports in the center console. It becomes dedicated to the Joyeauto device. In order for the phone and the device to work together you have to press the media button and select whichever USB port you're using. I use USB port 2.

If you don't press the media button and if the media button is not set to media interface 2 than the Joyeauto system won't work correctly.

4. If you long press the back button on the center console you'll switch between Mercedes and Joyeauto. You can go back-and-forth at will.

Sometimes I would long press the back button so that I could listen to a local radio station or satellite radio. While listening to satellite radio or a local radio station I would then long press the back button so that I could use Google maps.

If a phone call comes in and the Mercedes interface is not connected to media port 2, you can still see Google maps and you can still hear the radio station but when you try to answer the phone using car play it doesn't work. The caller can hear you but you cannot hear the caller or sometimes vice versa.

You have to have the presence of mind when the phone rings to long press the back button, press the media button, then long press the back button and answer the phone. However as I recall you can get around this by pressing the answer phone button on the steering wheel.

5. Also keep in mind that unless you're in an urban area Apple maps doesn't work. Neither do Google maps. And for that matter if you don't have a strong signal Siri doesn't work.

I bought my car in 2015 thinking the S class would come out a year earlier than it's going to. I don't want to be the first buyer of an S class in its first year so I'm going to buy an e class station wagon which will accommodate my country house. I'm buying the so-called all-terrain which a lot of people are making fun of the looks but it has the latest and greatest MB UX and the E class has been out for a few years so they've worked out the bugs. In 2022 I plan to buy a new S class after they've work through the problems.

If you live in an urban area where there is a lot of Internet signal it's worth the time and energy to install this unit. I live in New York City and I find the system to be great.

The main things I like about it are as follows:

If I short press the phone button I get Siri and all of the benefits of Siri. Call this person, tell me the weather here, tell me the time there, navigate to this location or that location. All of those things are really valuable to me.

Also I can send a text. Using Siri I can send a text to my wife or my broker or whomever. I never have to take my eyes off the road or monkey with my phone.

If you or anyone sends me a text Siri will read it to me.

There is the obvious benefit of using either Apple maps or Google maps.

If you have satellite radio you can install the satellite radio app on your phone and listen to satellite radio for free. This allows you to switch to the next song if you don't like the song is playing or even go back as I recall.

So as I say it has little quirks that you have to get used to but once you get used to it it's no problem. If you're old enough to remember DOS where you did things at the command prompt you just remember these little quirks and it's easy to deal with.

As for your question about the Internet, I don't have any sort of Internet in my car. I experimented with that and it was completely bogus. Also I was afraid that it allows bad guys to access my car while I'm driving. In my case I rely on the telephone Internet for my Internet.

I hope this answers all of your questions. I'm glad I bought the Joyeauto product and I would recommend it

I took some video of my installation but I just haven't got around to posting it but the guy Barron from Joyeauto will send it.

I am a desk jockey and if I can do it anybody can
Is there a installation video with Rear Executive Seating? Also, it looked like there was an HDMI port on the back of the interface, could you install a Fire Stick there?
Thanks again for the detailed reply!!!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Is there a installation video with Rear Executive Seating? Also, it looked like there was an HDMI port on the back of the interface, could you install a Fire Stick there?
Thanks again for the detailed reply!!!

You have to ask Joyeauto those questions. Sorry
Old 08-20-2020, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 485 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Hey All, please make sure to use this promo code that i found to get a discount (it works for unlimited number of times, so everyone can use it):
Promo Code: merc222
Link: https://www.joyeauto.com/product/mer...lay-interface/
Old 02-08-2022, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S400 W222
Unhappy 2014 W222 Apple car play kit

Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid ( W222) joyeauto apple car play kit

I realise the post was posted back in 2020 and hope your thread can help my inquiry for 2014 W222.
I have also found an interesting post from @daviper with pictures of the installation on his 2015 W222
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...han-300-a.html

I have a W222 import from Japan. Wondering if anyone has managed to install a current version of the joyeauto apple car kit on a MY14 W222 even though the product description states the kit supports W222 manufactured between 2015 and 2018.

Hopeful the joyeauto or there are similar add on apple car kits that can
  • unlock the (JAP) Digital EPG TV module to receive AUS digital signal
  • unlock/extend frequency FM range from 88 to 108MHz
  • unlock/update the map region to AUS/NZ if required - a quirk described by @e55phil , let MB command map do its own thing before using the car play kit
  • have wifi connection to my iphone / portable device
  • full functionality of controls on steering wheel and touchpad
Cheers

Last edited by s400newbie; 02-08-2022 at 08:26 AM. Reason: correction and format
Old 02-08-2022, 10:57 AM

I've had a bad experience with Joyeauto. I bought something from them and they sent it to me. They told me it would work with my MBUX enabled car but it did not and when I wrote to them ask if they had in the advice they never answered me.

I think the company was sold or merged into some other company. The customer service went to the toilet.

It wasn't that expensive to buy the product but it was time-consuming to take the dashboard apart and install it. It also had little quirks when it came to using it.

I installed it and it worked but it was cumbersome and in the end I stopped using it before I bought my new car. A friend of mine bought my 2015 and he told me that using it is too complicated so he just uses his phone for navigation and music.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but this is my opinion
Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
Originally Posted by s400newbie

Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid ( W222) joyeauto apple car play kit

I realise the post was posted back in 2020 and hope your thread can help my inquiry for 2014 W222.
I have also found an interesting post from @daviper with pictures of the installation on his 2015 W222
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...han-300-a.html

I have a W222 import from Japan. Wondering if anyone has managed to install a current version of the joyeauto apple car kit on a MY14 W222 even though the product description states the kit supports W222 manufactured between 2015 and 2018.

Hopeful the joyeauto or there are similar add on apple car kits that can
  • unlock/update the map region to AUS/NZ if required - a quirk described by @e55phil , let MB command map do its own thing before using the car play kit
  • full functionality of controls on steering wheel and touchpad
Cheers

What you are looking for are mainly COMAND modifications. The Joyeauto or other CarPlay kits will not do any of the things you are looking for; but it will allow you to use CarPlay / Android auto from your phone. I believe the easiest way for you to proceed would be to buy an AUS-spec Comand NTG 5.1 unit (~$1000 on eBay) and install it at the same time as whatever CarPlay unit you decide on.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S400 W222
Help wanted. COMAND gurus please respond

Thanks @e55phil for your honest feedback. I suspected joyeauto was another poorly executed Chinese product after visiting their website which is essentially a pdf document.

@cfmistry I had the same hunch. COMAND modification is the best OEM solution. Unfortunately it is a time consuming hobby to get the options in my car to work in Australia.

[​​​​QUOTE=s400newbie;8508560]
Originally Posted by s400newbie

Mercedes Benz S400 hybrid ( W222)

Wondering if you can confirm that I can simply purchase a (2021) NTGs2 map update for AUS/NZ region with pin code for my chassis.
Are the many online offers genuine?

I have a W222 import from Japan. Unfortunately I may have a new hobby similar to @instrumento and learn from @Austin2014 on how to program the Merc COMMAND to
  • unlock/update the map region to AUS/NZ
  • or fix above infotainment issues with a third party apple play kit
  • distronic plus - steering wheel safety disengages lane detect after 5 seconds.
Cheers

Originally Posted by cfmistry
What you are looking for are mainly COMAND modifications. The Joyeauto or other CarPlay kits will not do any of the things you are looking for; but it will allow you to use CarPlay / Android auto from your phone. I believe the easiest way for you to proceed would be to buy an AUS-spec Comand NTG 5.1 unit (~$1000 on eBay) and install it at the same time as whatever CarPlay unit you decide on.

Last edited by s400newbie; 02-08-2022 at 05:17 PM.