S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Thinking of purchasing 2012-15 S Class...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GL 450
Thinking of purchasing 2012-15 S Class...

Hi there.

I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing either a BMW 7 series or MB S Class(2013-2016) somewhere in this range. It would have about 60k miles probably but I am not in a rush. I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinions on either one of these cars. Although I respect everyone's opinions, please know that I will not be basing my purchasing decision based on your comments. Right now I really have no big bias. I have driven 3 series and 5 series and it was just ok. I thought the car drove little stiffer than I liked.

I think they are both great cars and I would like either one. I would like a car that requires least amount of maintenance. If so, parts that I can buy parts online FCP Euro, etc...or aftermarket parts then take it to Indy shop. At this point, I would not be using OEM parts unless absolutely required. I do currently own a Cayenne S and GL 450 so I am aware of German "engineering". Only dealbreaker would be that if the car has any type of powertrain issues(engine, transmission, transfer case, etc) or where there is a sometype of permanent issue that cannot be fixed i.e. Cayenne transfer case. Will not buy that again.

Would appreciate any comments. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:08 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
I've owned and leased several BMWs in the past and I've currently owned a Merc for the past 10 years. I never expected to keep my Merc this long, but it has been good to me. My experience has been it's always better to lease a new BMW than to buy/own a used one. I love the 7 series, but stay away from the 750i (8-cylinder engines). Those BMW V-8s are ticking time bombs and are very expensive to repair. If you go with a 7 go with the 6-cylinder 740i. Most BMWs also have coolant leaking issues as they age, including the 7.

If you want an S-Class I would avoid the model years you mentioned and look for at least a 2017. The 2017 model introduced the 9-G transmission and replaced the 7-G transmission. Plus, you'll get updated software and most of the other issues from the earlier years will be resolved. I am actually currently considering a 2017 S550 with 40K miles, but I'd prefer to wait for the used car market to improve and maybe eventually get a 2020 S560.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dc1225
Hi there.

I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing either a BMW 7 series or MB S Class(2013-2016) somewhere in this range. It would have about 60k miles probably but I am not in a rush. I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinions on either one of these cars. Although I respect everyone's opinions, please know that I will not be basing my purchasing decision based on your comments. Right now I really have no big bias. I have driven 3 series and 5 series and it was just ok. I thought the car drove little stiffer than I liked.

I think they are both great cars and I would like either one. I would like a car that requires least amount of maintenance. If so, parts that I can buy parts online FCP Euro, etc...or aftermarket parts then take it to Indy shop. At this point, I would not be using OEM parts unless absolutely required. I do currently own a Cayenne S and GL 450 so I am aware of German "engineering". Only dealbreaker would be that if the car has any type of powertrain issues(engine, transmission, transfer case, etc) or where there is a sometype of permanent issue that cannot be fixed i.e. Cayenne transfer case. Will not buy that again.

Would appreciate any comments. Thank you.
What has your research highlighted so far? What comparisons between engines and transmissions on the 7er vs S-Class have you noticed?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:39 AM

2016 GL 450
Originally Posted by jumpman726
I've owned and leased several BMWs in the past and I've currently owned a Merc for the past 10 years. I never expected to keep my Merc this long, but it has been good to me. My experience has been it's always better to lease a new BMW than to buy/own a used one. I love the 7 series, but stay away from the 750i (8-cylinder engines). Those BMW V-8s are ticking time bombs and are very expensive to repair. If you go with a 7 go with the 6-cylinder 740i. Most BMWs also have coolant leaking issues as they age, including the 7.

If you want an S-Class I would avoid the model years you mentioned and look for at least a 2017. The 2017 model introduced the 9-G transmission and replaced the 7-G transmission. Plus, you'll get updated software and most of the other issues from the earlier years will be resolved. I am actually currently considering a 2017 S550 with 40K miles, but I'd prefer to wait for the used car market to improve and maybe eventually get a 2020 S560.
Ok, Thank you so much. Ones I've been coming across alot are the 750 IL's. Have not heard anything too negative besides the excessive oil usage. Coolant leak I think is from the plastic parts they use so Maintenance on that I would be ok with. I'll try to look for the V6's.

What are your thoughts on V6 vs V8? is V6 peppier? V8 slower acceleration?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:41 AM

2016 GL 450
Originally Posted by chassis
What has your research highlighted so far? What comparisons between engines and transmissions on the 7er vs S-Class have you noticed?
Well I've only looked at the 750 IL's and those are V8's and I've seen some good youtube reviews. Of course there are very negative ones that say don't buy don't buy don't buy. Everything sucks.

When I bought my GL 450 and Cayenne, I came across the same negative reviews.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:45 AM

2016 GL 450
Ok, Thank you so much. Ones I've been coming across alot are the 750 IL's. Have not heard anything too negative besides the excessive oil usage. Coolant leak I think is from the plastic parts they use so Maintenance on that I would be ok with. I'll try to look for the V6's.

Excessive oil usage on 2014 750 IL. About the only complaint I came across. Cracked wheels.

When I purchased my GL 450, there were many negative reviews including US News, etc. I test drove it and I thought it was a fantastic vehicle. I am at 95,000 miles. Car still drives like new and have not had any issues besides your basic maintenance. Great car it turned out to be. I was scared to make the jump from Lexus but I am glad that I did.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan

The 6-cylinder will be slower than the V-8, but I've seen professional car reviews that said they noticed a significantly lighter feel in the front end on the 740i due to the reduced weight of the 6-cylinder. This allows for better turn-in for handling (if that's important to you).

If you plan on keeping the 7-series long term there's no way I'd buy the V-8. If you check the BMW forums or do a google search you'll see that BMW owners of the V-8 have actually filed class-action lawsuits against BMW. BMWs response was to give free oil top-ups between oil changes or basically replace the engine, but apparently the design is inherently flawed so this is just a temporary fix. All of this is from several years ago, so I don't remember all of the details, but here's an article I found with more info: Link to article

The 7-series also has battery drain issues and it's recommended to replace the battery every year, otherwise you could experience electrical issues.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with all the comments on BMW V8 (N63). They have valve stem seals issues and excessive oil consumption. The later V8 (N63TU) are better but not as good as MB V8. I wanted a V8 BMW on my X5 and all BMW mechanics I spoke to said to avoid them. I like both 7 series and S class. The BMWs generally are sportier and S class are more refine and comfortable. If you prefer softer and more refine ride, I'd go with S class. I currently have 2010 S550 and very happy with it. I have 2016 BMW X5 and also happy with that (6-cyl). BMW requires more maintenance. Oil leaks (oil filter housing gasket, valve cover, upper/lower oil pan and rear main seals). The 6cyl BMW engines are more reliable engine BMW has and very smooth, but oil leaks are to be expected every 4 -5 years. My MB gasket typically last 8 years or so from my experience. With either 7 series or S class, you'll want a good independent mechanic. My "reliable" BMW 6cyl cost me over $10k in repairs in the past two years (luckily extended warranty paid for this). My MB maintenance are much lower (less than $3k in the past 5 years). I do use MB independent mechanic and I use BMW dealer (since I have warranty). So good independent would save you significant in repair cost. You should drive both 7 series and S class and decide for yourself. I'd stay away from 2016 7 series as it's a first year of 7 series. When the used car market comes back to a reasonable level, I'd be looking for W222 S class as well. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:47 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert
My 221 and 222 experience FWIW. Most all the miles are hwy, not town, and the car gets a workout. Zero complaints with motor, trans 7G or 9G or rearend. Car is built to run. A/C, seats, NAV, fluids all zero issue.

Front suspension has a lot of physics at work and replaceable bushings will wear. Same for motor and trans mounts. Spare or no spare is a choice. 221 hwy headlights can easy adjust with a screwdriver. 222 not sure. NAV updates are available but I never did.

A good Indy can handle these models and of course you know to detail review records from the cars you consider.

Goodluck.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 343 Likes on 224 Posts
S600
Go spend a couple of hours on "I do cars" and watch him take BMW and Merc engines apart.
That will tell you everything you need to know about the engines.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mitch Alsup:
AllPhonesAretap (09-09-2022), drose224 (09-09-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 04:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
I owned a 2012 S550 for 5 years and then purchased a 2017 BMW 750i "individual" that was loaded with options. The S550 never had a single warranty issue and drove like a new car the whole time I owned it. The BMW experience was just the opposite...one problem after another that required extended stays at the local dealership. None of the problems were major issues, but they were frequent and the car spent almost as much time in service at the dealership as it did with me. After a year of this, I put it it up for sale and gladly let it go for a BIG financial loss. A year later i purchased a 2019 S560 and have been very happy with the car since then. As far as the "ultimate driving machine" experience, the BMW did not impress me. It rode harder and stiffer and the acceleration of the V8 did not feel any better than either Mercedes. So, that's my experience. I will say both cars are very fine automobiles, but based on what I've owned, I'd avoid a 7 series BMW.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 257 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Just to add to Donny's points ... an S-class does have a 'mid-life crisis' of sorts around 50k miles where you have a number of costly service items ... with luck, maybe you can find a car that's already had these done:
  1. Front suspension arms/bushings
  2. Engine mounts
  3. Driveshaft flex couplings
  4. Transmission service
  5. Spark Plugs
Good news is people say the car feels brand new after these items are done.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet 2015 S600
I was in the market for an S class or 7 series (2010 or newer) back in May. I quickly ruled out the BMW after doing research on line. BMW 7 series had a lot of issues while I couldn’t find many issues on the S class. I had no preconceived notions on the BMW or the S class. As a matter of fact I have a 2013 M3 and love it. I have also had Mercedes Benz too. I started looking for a V-8 S class but switched to V-12 since this will probably be my only opportunity to have a V-12. There were very few S600 and only 1 S65 I found. I settled on a 2015 S600 and have been very happy with the car. A couple of things that will help no matter which you go with: 1 VIN decoder 2. Monroney Label which is a copy of the original window sticker.

VIN Decoder

Monroney Label

chassis (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by homepukes
I was in the market for an S class or 7 series (2010 or newer) back in May. I quickly ruled out the BMW after doing research on line. BMW 7 series had a lot of issues while I couldn’t find many issues on the S class. I had no preconceived notions on the BMW or the S class. As a matter of fact I have a 2013 M3 and love it. I have also had Mercedes Benz too. I started looking for a V-8 S class but switched to V-12 since this will probably be my only opportunity to have a V-12. There were very few S600 and only 1 S65 I found. I settled on a 2015 S600 and have been very happy with the car. A couple of things that will help no matter which you go with: 1 VIN decoder 2. Monroney Label which is a copy of the original window sticker.

VIN Decoder

Monroney Label
Where did you find your S-Class? cargurus, dealer lot, somewhere else? I'm in the pre-owned vehicle market.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet 2015 S600
Originally Posted by chassis
Where did you find your S-Class? cargurus, dealer lot, somewhere else? I'm in the pre-owned vehicle market.
Good question. At first, I would put Mercedes S600 in the Google search bar. From there, I would check the links from the search. I noticed that Carvana prices were higher than individual dealers and stayed away from them. After a while I would go directly to Car Guru’s and Autotrader sites directly. I lived in ATL and would put a 500 mile search radius in. I narrowed it down to the W222 platform since it was the newest S class. I found two that I was interested in but thought both were overpriced compared to Bluebook value. Both had low miles. I found one in Birmingham that was white and this was the car I really wanted. I made an offer over the internet but it wasn’t accepted. The other was in Miami. I worked a deal over the internet and eventually flew down to Miami, picked it up and drove it home. I still think I paid too much but it was exactly what I wanted. I notice the white S600 is still for sale at a very high price.

I don’t remember which site I found the car on but it was either Car Gurus or Autotrader but it was one of those two. Possibly both since many of the cars on those two sites are redundant.
chassis (09-09-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 03:08 PM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
My advise is go and sit in them and drive them. I was in a 7 series for a very short time and knew it wasn't for me. I was sort of suprised as I am more of a performance vs. luxury driver so I was very suprrised when I picked the S-Class vs. BMW. But the interior was not even close for me. The Audi was more in line with S-Class interior but my mechanic told to avoid Audi at all costs, the worst in terms of owning out of warranty. I also saw a lot of bad reviews on the BMW reliablity and my local indy told me MB service and maintenance is more reasonable especially for the V8 BMW. I also opted for the plug-in hybrid V6 S-Class, I have a 2016 so I have the 7 speed tranny and lost out on Android Auto which I would have loved to have, but overall after 3 years of ownership I am very happy with this car. And when I put in Sport mode and tighten up the air suspension the car is plenty fast and handles amazingly well for how big this car is.