S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Comparison of my W222 S560 with the W223 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2023 | 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Just read in Consumer Reports 2023 Annual Auto Issue where they said that the W223 did not ride as well as the W222.
There seems to be truth to that, but noise is a different story
Old 03-29-2023 | 03:25 AM

S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by vinflouen
As you may have noticed by now, In the USA you are on your own dime as we say.
Never saw a dealer be so gracious as to just replace my rotors and pads…..thats a nice thing…..
It did feel harsher, yes. There's a bit of a ramp I need to go over to go to the underground parking, nothing too high but you can feel it. Going over the ramp felt on the W223 in comfort as mine did in Sport. But take this with a grain of salt, it's not like we're talking night and day differences here.

There's another thing. The seats felt stiffer. But somehow, they also felt less fatiguing in a bit of a longer trip and traffic jam (like the one I had yesterday). I think for longer trips they might be more preferable.
Old 03-29-2023 | 06:32 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Quenthel
Hey everyone,

I got my car to the dealership for its yearly service and a few minor warranty issues. This time I was given a W223 as a replacement car, much better than the gnarly CLA200 & CLA180 I got the last two times. Well, I couldn't help but post a comparison between my '18 S560 and this S500 (not sure which year it is), and believe me, I am going to be as unbiased as I can. Also, I didn't take any photos from the interior yet, but I'll append them later.

Exterior:
So, like many others, I joked that the new S class looks like a Hyundai from the outside. In earnest, it's not that bad. Some lines are very reminiscent of the W222 and the car is still imposing, perhaps a bit less, but definitely not like a Hyundai. I think the one I got is the long version, and in terms of looks, I wouldn't mind owning that.

Interior:
This was very weird. It has the Nappa leather I think (not sure if it's the exclusive or not, but let me know when I upload the pictures later) but the console/dashboard is less impressive than in the W222. The part of the dash that meets the windshield looks decidedly less premium than my S560's vinyl version. The yacht-like aesthetic they tried feels kinda bland and even a non-exclusive Nappa W222 feels nicer.

I liked the screen. It's a fingerprint smorgasbord of course and were it mine, I'd install some form of tempered glass, but the new OS is WAY more responsive to the point it makes my COMAND feel godawful to use, with the wheel occasionally skipping a beat, menus taking a couple of seconds to load and so on. The "Hey Mercedes" feature is very useful, especially compared to the rather clumsy and slow voice recognition in my car (which is why I rarely use it).

The heads-up display is more impressive and feature rich but its focus feels wrong. Not sure if it can be adjusted, but whereas in my car I had no eye-focusing problems, in the W223 I was getting crosseyed trying to look at it. I didn't have the 3D console as far as I know so I cannot comment on that, but all these feel definitely nicer in the newer version.

I miss the central console buttons. I was so used to them, while now having those buttons on the middle-screen just feels... wrong. Thank god it's not all on-screen buttons though.

The steering wheel is nicer as a whole, I had the all-leather AMG-style version in the new car, but the leather seems less nice than my plain all-leather wheel. The steering wheel buttons are not that bad, but I prefer the more haptic buttons of my car and even the more definite feeling the capacitive buttons had. In the new one, I had to confirm that adjusting the CC limit by +1Km was applied by looking at the HUD.

The rear of the car didn't have the middle divider (as my car does), but the car did have the tablet and the screens. Didn't test those out yet, but I expected them to be way more useful that my useless rear screens that no passenger of mine ever managed to operate without some form of assistance from my side. Then again, I don't have rear passengers often, so I wouldn't mind not having them at all anyway.

My seat was not as comfortable in the new car as in mine, but the contour thing with its bolsters felt way more immediate and more definite. I'd definitely take that over my car's, combined however with my car's more comfortable seats.

Cabin noise:
This is way worse. OK, it's not like an A-class level of cabin noise, but compared to the W222 it's not really close. Not just the engine noise (more on that later), but environmental sounds are not as well isolated as in my W222. My benchmark is my garage's door, which makes a very specific creak when it opens. I can barely hear it when I'm in my car, but in the W223 I was almost shocked by how much louder that noise was.

Engine:
I'm comparing a V8 M176 versus an inline-6 the newer model has, it's a bit unfair, I know. But......... the engine is not anywhere CLOSE to the smoothness and quietness the V8 has. It's more noisy (in not a nice way), it feels like it's struggling a bit more to get going and were I in the market for a W223, the 580 would be my only option (assuming no S63). I haven't slammed my foot down and see how it accelerates, the dealership is merely 8Km away through the city and this being a replacement car I don't want to use it at all if I can avoid it. It's a mild-hybrid as I was told, but I didn't experience any of that.

Conclusion:
The W223 feels newer, snappier but at the same time... cheaper? I would prefer my S560 over this replacement car, however there might be other configurations that are nicer. As things are and from my limited perspective, I wouldn't go blindly with a W223; a comparison would definitely be in order.
Thank you for reading this far!

------------------------

Useless side note which I wanted to share. I recently renewed my warranty for 2 years or 30K Km, for a total of CHF 4800. I asked my dealer to quote me a price for a full set of discs & pads + labour, since they are due for a replacement from the looks of them. He replied in a nonchalant manner that "you don't have to pay anything; these are included in the warranty and we replace them if they're worn out". Told him that I'm planning two big road-trips in the next couple of months and to check if they could change them now and said "sure!".

Is this a Swiss only thing, or do other countries do the same? Given the costs of discs & pads even in indie garages, the labour as well as the few minor warratny things I've asked them to fix, I've already got my money's worth on the warranty already and more. How the heck do they make any money?
Regarding brake replacement, it sounds like you purchased a maintenance contract. What does the document say about parts replacement, or specifically about brakes?
Old 03-29-2023 | 09:38 AM

I got my car back. I will admit that while it's good to be back on my more silent, comfortable and smoother vehicle, I will miss the W223. If it were the S580, I might be getting envious enough and start looking to replace my W222 with it. But I think I'll stay with my S560 for the next couple of years, then we'll see.

===========================================

Originally Posted by chassis
Regarding brake replacement, it sounds like you purchased a maintenance contract. What does the document say about parts replacement, or specifically about brakes?
Thing is, I didn't. They gave me a 2-year warranty extension for free when I bought the car (awfully nice of them, about CHF3,7K), because the original one is 3 years, then I purchased another one late February for 2 more years (CHF 4,8K). There are no specific packages or options, you either buy the extended warranty or not, and it's covered by the same terms as the main one. Here are the terms (translated for your convenience):

Included

• Repairs ( also wear ) up to 3 years or 100,000 kilometers ( the first thing reached applies )
• Free maintenance work [that's what we call yearly Service] up to 10 years or 100,000 kilometers (, the first thing reached applies ) including mandatory exhaust gas maintenance, braking and cooling liquid.

Excluded

• First aid kits, liquids such as oils, window solvents, fuels, fuel additives such as AdBlue, TIREFIT or similar
• Disposal of exchanged liquids ( e.g. Disposal of old oil )
• Tires, costs related to changing wheels or tires, and balancing
• Various adjustment work or chassis measurements
• Maintenance outside the regular intervals
• Repairs that are due to improper maintenance or care
• All services that were not provided by authorized workshops
• Ordinary wear such as signs of aging on upholstery, seat frame, dashboard, paint, convertible top, running board, trim strips, seals, etc.
• Costs from accident and body damage ( e.g. Hinge breaks )
• Vehicle cleaning inside and outside, paint care, chassis and engine cleaning
• Repairs due to third-party influences or external influences such as marten or hail damage etc.
• Glass breaks, repairs of glass parts
• Costs resulting from excessive load on the vehicle, such as overuse of the brakes, clutch, etc.
• Costs arising from improper or motorsport use
• Costs of mishaps
• Included or attached accessories, superstructures, extensions, as well as resulting costs
• Updates for maps
• Costs related to the loss of vehicle keys
• Follow-up costs from changes in performance or types
• All measures for longer decommissioning according to the operating instructions and the elimination of damage caused by it
• Statutory taxes such as MFK fees, vehicle taxes and insurance, motorway vignette, etc.
• Replacement vehicles ( the mobility services within the framework of Mobilo / MobilityGo remain unchanged )
• Claims for loss of vehicle value, loss of income, loss of use, etc.
• Damage to the hardware / software of the vehicle as well as the loss or violation of uploaded personal information / data in the vehicle, as a result of unauthorized access to any source such as Foreign parts, third-party accessories, third-party applications, Bug, other malfunctions, viruses, malware, cyber attacks, etc.
• Follow-up costs from previous lists
• Claims for unused benefits from MERCEDES-SWISS-INTEGRAL

By the way, to recall a conversation I had in the past here about the windshield wipers, this time they replaced them for sure; I had clipped the old ones at the edge and noticed that these are new. I think that it's the fluid I'm using which is of not great quality, time to replace it with a Benz concentrate.

Last edited by Quenthel; 03-29-2023 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I got my car back. I will admit that while it's good to be back on my more silent, comfortable and smoother vehicle, I will miss the W223. If it were the S580, I might be getting envious enough and start looking to replace my W222 with it. But I think I'll stay with my S560 for the next couple of years, then we'll see.

===========================================

Thing is, I didn't. They gave me a 2-year warranty extension for free when I bought the car (awfully nice of them, about CHF3,7K), because the original one is 3 years, then I purchased another one late February for 2 more years (CHF 4,8K). There are no specific packages or options, you either buy the extended warranty or not, and it's covered by the same terms as the main one. Here are the terms (translated for your convenience):

Included

• Repairs ( also wear ) up to 3 years or 100,000 kilometers ( the first thing reached applies )
• Free maintenance work [that's what we call yearly Service] up to 10 years or 100,000 kilometers (, the first thing reached applies ) including mandatory exhaust gas maintenance, braking and cooling liquid.

Excluded

• First aid kits, liquids such as oils, window solvents, fuels, fuel additives such as AdBlue, TIREFIT or similar
• Disposal of exchanged liquids ( e.g. Disposal of old oil )
• Tires, costs related to changing wheels or tires, and balancing
• Various adjustment work or chassis measurements
• Maintenance outside the regular intervals
• Repairs that are due to improper maintenance or care
• All services that were not provided by authorized workshops
• Ordinary wear such as signs of aging on upholstery, seat frame, dashboard, paint, convertible top, running board, trim strips, seals, etc.
• Costs from accident and body damage ( e.g. Hinge breaks )
• Vehicle cleaning inside and outside, paint care, chassis and engine cleaning
• Repairs due to third-party influences or external influences such as marten or hail damage etc.
• Glass breaks, repairs of glass parts
• Costs resulting from excessive load on the vehicle, such as overuse of the brakes, clutch, etc.
• Costs arising from improper or motorsport use
• Costs of mishaps
• Included or attached accessories, superstructures, extensions, as well as resulting costs
• Updates for maps
• Costs related to the loss of vehicle keys
• Follow-up costs from changes in performance or types
• All measures for longer decommissioning according to the operating instructions and the elimination of damage caused by it
• Statutory taxes such as MFK fees, vehicle taxes and insurance, motorway vignette, etc.
• Replacement vehicles ( the mobility services within the framework of Mobilo / MobilityGo remain unchanged )
• Claims for loss of vehicle value, loss of income, loss of use, etc.
• Damage to the hardware / software of the vehicle as well as the loss or violation of uploaded personal information / data in the vehicle, as a result of unauthorized access to any source such as Foreign parts, third-party accessories, third-party applications, Bug, other malfunctions, viruses, malware, cyber attacks, etc.
• Follow-up costs from previous lists
• Claims for unused benefits from MERCEDES-SWISS-INTEGRAL

By the way, to recall a conversation I had in the past here about the windshield wipers, this time they replaced them for sure; I had clipped the old ones at the edge and noticed that these are new. I think that it's the fluid I'm using which is of not great quality, time to replace it with a Benz concentrate.
Thanks. You have in fact purchased a maintenance contract. And a repair contract. Seems like it has provided you some nice benefits already, enjoy!
Quenthel (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by chassis
Thanks. You have in fact purchased a maintenance contract. And a repair contract. Seems like it has provided you some nice benefits already, enjoy!
I guess (pretty much all) Mercedes customers in Switzerland are lucky then, since this is the default!

Last edited by Quenthel; 03-29-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2023 | 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Thanks for sharing your reviews . It's hard to believe in some cases W223 looks like a downward to W222 . I think that's partly because of W222's superiority . I prefer W222 over W223 design wise but that varies person to person
The following 2 users liked this post by BenzV12:
Quenthel (03-30-2023), Robb92914 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-30-2023 | 09:06 AM

2017 S550 4matic
haven't driven a 223 yet, but I did drive a 257 CLS450. I was so incredibly disappointed with that car, the driving experience totally ruined how great it looks on the exterior. Very rough/unrefined engine sound and response, ride was not the best and overall noise control was pretty poor. Seats not super comfortable, but the interior is great looking.

Between that experience and driving a GLC300 when SUV shopping for my wife (shockingly bad), it's really sad to see MB continuing down the path they'd been on. My 2017 222 'feels' like a Benz, like I remember my W211 and the benzes of the good old days feel. You could blindfold me and I'd know I was in a benz. These new cars are a shell of that, if I rode in that CLS blindfolded I'd assume it was a Nissan or a Hyundai.
Quenthel (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
You dislike the GLC300? I get them as loaners and I like them a lot.

Bear in mind when you are used to an S Class even other Mercedes don’t measure up.
Old 03-30-2023 | 01:04 PM

2017 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by SW20S
You dislike the GLC300? I get them as loaners and I like them a lot.

Bear in mind when you are used to an S Class even other Mercedes don’t measure up.
Couldn't stand it, this was almost a year ago now. The way the side pillars curve into the center of the car makes it feel super enclosed, and I'm not even THAT big of a guy (6'2" and 250lb). The ride was awful, worse than my F150. It was quiet enough, and the interior is really nice looking, but again not the same benz quality that I would expect for the money. I ended up getting her an XC90 but we looked at the XC60 as a direct competitor to the GLC.

We drove an X3 also, and that thing was a pile of junk. Noisy, uncomfortable seats, slightly better ride than the GLC but the interior looked so dated.

Your last statement is true though, I'm glad I bought my 222 with such low mileage because I'll be able to keep it for a long time. I think about the only way I'd replace it is either with a 222 560 or AMG. Even then, the 4.0s don't make the same kind of power as the 4.7 with a tune. Looking at and thinking about just about any other car on the road I don't think there's anything that beats it, pound for pound. I think the only thing that I drove that was close and still didn't measure up was the M550i xdrive. The 7 series would be the direct S competitor but I don't think they look very good, just a bloated/stretched 5 series. The m550i seems to be every bit as good as the M5 without the M tax, but it's still not the same level as the S class.
Old 03-30-2023 | 06:06 PM

W222 S560 4matic 2018 and C140 CL 500 1998
Is this a Swiss only thing, or do other countries do the same? Given the costs of discs & pads even in indie garages, the labour as well as the few minor warratny things I've asked them to fix, I've already got my money's worth on the warranty already and more. How the heck do they make any money?
Interesting, in Germany the warranty extension is 1145 euro per year. Getting my breaks done all around, discs and pads etc, was 1600 Euro at the dealership. So I'm at around 3900 Euro for two years warranty and new breaks. Actually cheaper than what you paid. I wonder what else is covered in Switzerland though. What is it called in CH? Here it is Junge Sterne and then MB100 two years after purchase for used cars.

edit: just saw you posted what is included and what is not. looks like the main difference is that wear is covered in CH. Which is pretty cool actually. Question though - can you get wear covered above 100.000km?

Last edited by Nico9182349; 03-30-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Quenthel (03-30-2023)
Old 03-31-2023 | 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nico9182349
Interesting, in Germany the warranty extension is 1145 euro per year. Getting my breaks done all around, discs and pads etc, was 1600 Euro at the dealership. So I'm at around 3900 Euro for two years warranty and new breaks. Actually cheaper than what you paid. I wonder what else is covered in Switzerland though. What is it called in CH? Here it is Junge Sterne and then MB100 two years after purchase for used cars.

edit: just saw you posted what is included and what is not. looks like the main difference is that wear is covered in CH. Which is pretty cool actually. Question though - can you get wear covered above 100.000km?
Yes, my understanding is that the Junge Sterne programm is more like the american CPO, where as the MSI (Mercedes Swiss Integral) is more like the standard warranty that applies from the first day of the car, but extensible.

I think you can extend the warranty up to 7 years and 200K km, but the higher you go, the more it costs. For me, I do ~15K per year, so I've capped the warranty at 92K and 7 years (maximum), thus reducing the price a bit compared to getting 100K or more. Still, I paid 4800 for 4 years effectively (since the first two were free), and I already got my money's worth from the intercooler they replaced last year, the brakes and the central console hinges.

1150/y for warranty extension is a pretty good price though, similarly for the brakes, but prices in Switzerland are always higher (in new cars, they're about 20-25% higher compared to Germany); service is even worse. A friend of mine has a 2016 S500 (S550 in the US); he went to the dealership in Zug to get a quote for pad & disc replacement and he was told 6K for the fronts and 3K for the rears which is insane even for Switzerland.
Nico9182349 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023 | 05:26 AM

W222 S560 4matic 2018 and C140 CL 500 1998
Yes, my understanding is that the Junge Sterne programm is more like the american CPO, where as the MSI (Mercedes Swiss Integral) is more like the standard warranty that applies from the first day of the car, but extensible.

I think you can extend the warranty up to 7 years and 200K km, but the higher you go, the more it costs. For me, I do ~15K per year, so I've capped the warranty at 92K and 7 years (maximum), thus reducing the price a bit compared to getting 100K or more. Still, I paid 4800 for 4 years effectively (since the first two were free), and I already got my money's worth from the intercooler they replaced last year, the brakes and the central console hinges.

1150/y for warranty extension is a pretty good price though, similarly for the brakes, but prices in Switzerland are always higher (in new cars, they're about 20-25% higher compared to Germany); service is even worse. A friend of mine has a 2016 S500 (S550 in the US); he went to the dealership in Zug to get a quote for pad & disc replacement and he was told 6K for the fronts and 3K for the rears which is insane even for Switzerland.
9k to get the breaks done is absolutely ridiculous. How do they even justify that? I mean prices for the parts are public and I was told doing the breaks on the W222 is actually a bit trickier than normal but come on! Mine were replaced by Mercedes in Heidelberg. It's not even a franchisor, it is literally Mercedes-Benz AG. I just looked up what I paid, I actually paid 1848,78 Euro plus taxes. So it was about 2200 Euro for the breaks front and rear. So I'd be at 4500 for two years warranty plus breaks. Haha. Now I want the maintenance contract even more. Car is still on Junge Sterne actually, so I didn't pay any warranty extension yet.

On the W223, I think it looks pretty good actually. I wouldn't mind a quicker user interface either but I'm not sure if I would love the touch pad stuff. I have deactivated the touch pad in my car even. It depends a bit on how good the "Hey Mercedes" thing works. I had it in rentals and it was pretty good. So maybe touch is fine. My biggest concern is actually quality. The W222 already has some flaws in my opinion and I doubt that it will get better. I want the W140/C140 build quality and the modern features. That would be my ideal car...I'm not sure if my next car will be a Mercedes and I say that after over 60 plus years of Mercedes ownership in my family. But that is a different story. I think I'll start a thread.

Last edited by Nico9182349; 03-31-2023 at 05:39 AM.
Quenthel (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nico9182349
9k to get the breaks done is absolutely ridiculous. How do they even justify that? I mean prices for the parts are public and I was told doing the breaks on the W222 is actually a bit trickier than normal but come on! Mine were replaced by Mercedes in Heidelberg. It's not even a franchisor, it is literally Mercedes-Benz AG. I just looked up what I paid, I actually paid 1848,78 Euro plus taxes. So it was about 2200 Euro for the breaks front and rear. So I'd be at 4500 for two years warranty plus breaks. Haha. Now I want the maintenance contract even more. Car is still on Junge Sterne actually, so I didn't pay any warranty extension yet.

On the W223, I think it looks pretty good actually. I wouldn't mind a quicker user interface either but I'm not sure if I would love the touch pad stuff. I have deactivated the touch pad in my car even. It depends a bit on how good the "Hey Mercedes" thing works. I had it in rentals and it was pretty good. So maybe touch is fine. My biggest concern is actually quality. The W222 already has some flaws in my opinion and I doubt that it will get better. I want the W140/C140 build quality and the modern features. That would be my ideal car...I'm not sure if my next car will be a Mercedes and I say that after over 60 plus years of Mercedes ownership in my family. But that is a different story. I think I'll start a thread.
I don't make use of the touchpad at all in my car, but the touchscreen is relatively well designed. First, it's fast as you said, which means less loss of attention. Second, certain controls are available as physical buttons and the climate controls are always on, so it's not like Musk(rat)'s "super minimal all in my tablet" design or Porsche's electronically controlled air vents (geez Louise). Third, and most importantly, it allows you to enter information way faster compared to the previous model, where you have to spend 5 minutes with the knob entering a 15-letter street name on a 10-letter city name (or use your phone, unless the app decides to log you off and not log on again for a bit), it also allows you to modify your current view on the map much more intuitively and choose from available options in the menus in a more sensible way (because you see and you click it, and you also get to see more).

Still, the only thing that would probably drive me off a deal, is that I generally wouldn't go for the first generation of a model. Well, that's technically a lie, since I went for the first version of the W222 facelift, but it was a very good deal with a known reliable engine and warranty.