S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Failure of automatic headlights on W222 S Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S Class W222
Failure of automatic headlights on W222 S Class

Hi, hopefully someone can help me who has experienced a similar issue.

I was driving the other day and randomly a message appeared telling me the automatic headlight function was inoperable. I then started receiving over the course of the next 30 minutes various messages about different lights not working. Such as right dipped beam, right and left parking lights, and when I used the indicators instead of them blinking at the usual speed, the clicking noise to indicate the blinking was twice as fast. At one point even though I was not indicating, the indicator stayed on and was blinking at double speed. Thankfully these issues have now stopped and all warning messages vanished. What remains however is the auto headlight function is still inoperable. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking I might try replacing the ballast control unit as they seem pretty cheap parts on ebay, but I have no idea how to locate where it is on my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
Sometimes on modern cars with lots of electrical gizmos a main battery issue can cause all sorts of warnings to come up, not just mercedes but jaguars are common for it as well. How old is your car, is it still on the original battery ? Has it been stood for a while resulting in low battery voltage ?
Just a suggestion to maybe look into before delving any deeper.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
While your auxiliary battery is a possible cause, I feel that the condensation in your headlight more likely caused this issue. That is a common issue for the W222.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S Class W222
Thank you to both of you above for the tips and advice. I had the battery replaced almost exactly 1 year ago. I had it done at Halfords so they used an after market battery. I dont see any condensation in the headlights. I was thinking it must have been a control unit or sensor in the windscreen that detects the oncoming traffic ?
Old 04-11-2023, 03:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
Originally Posted by tomwi11is
Thank you to both of you above for the tips and advice. I had the battery replaced almost exactly 1 year ago. I had it done at Halfords so they used an after market battery. I dont see any condensation in the headlights. I was thinking it must have been a control unit or sensor in the windscreen that detects the oncoming traffic ?
The battery sounds as if it would be fine then, really I suppose your best option would be to find someone to properly diagnose the issue, just thinking that you do not want to start second guessing a problem and spending money on the wrong things.